Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Araxxor posted:

https://twitter.com/Sibuna_Switch/status/1605461560293482496

Well that explains the sky high rate of critical captures. Most of them aren't really critical captures.

Failed critical captures aren't really visible anymore. It's the same as getting 0 shakes.
I'm positive this is just to speed things up when capturing pokemon you've already caught before anyways

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

it’s like a critical hit but for capturing Pokémon. they added ‘em in gen 5, and it basically means that instead of rolling three or four dice to determine whether a Pokémon is captured the game rolls one die. if it’s a yes, then it’s a yes. (in-game this looks like the ball performing one confident shake instead of a handful of iffy ones.)

I think critical is still 2 checks instead of the standard 4. Which get shown as the shake and the seal. Unless they've changed it between SM and now.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Critical captures are always 1 shake check. The first shake is guaranteed. At that point it can break out or stay in.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

I don't play Pokemon games, and I'm not even a lurker in this thread. But I wanted to let you all know that my 7yo daughter has been getting into Let's Go Pikachu and asked me to print out her first GameFAQs guide - a strength/weakness chart. A true rite of passage as a young gamer. :wooper:

HerzogZwo
Nov 30, 2000

Good-Natured Filth posted:

I don't play Pokemon games, and I'm not even a lurker in this thread. But I wanted to let you all know that my 7yo daughter has been getting into Let's Go Pikachu and asked me to print out her first GameFAQs guide - a strength/weakness chart. A true rite of passage as a young gamer. :wooper:

Now is a great time for you to start playing! I'm finding Pokemon has been a great way to "engage" with my kids, and a hell of a lot better than most of the things they could be doing with online devices.

I'm also 100% sure my son's love of all things Pokemon (from GO, to the card games to the mainline games) is what helped him get interested in using and understanding math.

Now this guy has an encyclopedic knowledge of Pokestats, and he whupped that 7 star Charizard multiple times.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

HerzogZwo posted:

Now is a great time for you to start playing! I'm finding Pokemon has been a great way to "engage" with my kids, and a hell of a lot better than most of the things they could be doing with online devices.

I'm also 100% sure my son's love of all things Pokemon (from GO, to the card games to the mainline games) is what helped him get interested in using and understanding math.

Now this guy has an encyclopedic knowledge of Pokestats, and he whupped that 7 star Charizard multiple times.

Pokemon is an excellent gateway drug into mathematics and biology tbh. A lot of pokemon are based on unusual real life animals.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Grafaiai reminded me that the animal called an aye-aye existed

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
Anyone got any plans for how to deal with the upcoming Cinderace raid? It seems to me like once again Azumarill is ideal, but I see lots of whining about "ugh people bringing in fuckin Azumarill" and also once the raid Pokemon turns off your ability, as they always do at some point, Huge Power shuts off and Azu sucks until you die and come back, which isn't a great strategy when it hacks a big chunk off the time bar. I was thinking maybe Ceruledge for immunity to the high power fire and fighting attacks Cinderace'll be packing, and Clear Smog will gently caress with any stat-ups it uses... but Ceruledge doesn't exactly have much of an HP stat or physical defense. I'm also expecting Cinderace to be packing Sucker Punch.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
The problem with Azumarill is that most randos aren't running Shell Bell with Azu so they'll Belly Drum and immediately get owned, ruining the raid for everyone. Also, Play Rough is bugged and breaks the HP bar.

I'll be bringing my Sylveon and beaming the sucker down.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Diet Poison posted:

Anyone got any plans for how to deal with the upcoming Cinderace raid? It seems to me like once again Azumarill is ideal, but I see lots of whining about "ugh people bringing in fuckin Azumarill" and also once the raid Pokemon turns off your ability, as they always do at some point, Huge Power shuts off and Azu sucks until you die and come back, which isn't a great strategy when it hacks a big chunk off the time bar. I was thinking maybe Ceruledge for immunity to the high power fire and fighting attacks Cinderace'll be packing, and Clear Smog will gently caress with any stat-ups it uses... but Ceruledge doesn't exactly have much of an HP stat or physical defense. I'm also expecting Cinderace to be packing Sucker Punch.

The ability nullification only lasts one turn. So if you're in a spot to reapply belly drum you lose out on basically nothing.

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
I think the nicest thing with Cinderace will be that its HA ability Libero shouldn't factor much offensively since it'll be forced to be its Tera-Type for its defense - also Libero and Protean only activte once per fight now

What it does mean is that if you get it to use sucker punch (for example, dunno its moves) round 1 it should only get STAB on Dark and Fighting (tera) attacks the whole raid

e: might want to bring an Armarouge to draw out a Sucker Punch r1 so I can buff w/ less fear? will probably be trying that first

Lux Anima fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Dec 22, 2022

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

I would be shocked if Cinderace doesn't have a hard-coded first move like Charizard did, to set its Protean type. And if it's gonna be tera Fighting, it makes sense to me that that'd be a Fighting-type move.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

It should start the round by Gunk Shotting everyone.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Rudoku posted:

It should start the round by Gunk Shotting everyone.

Considering how prolific Azumarill is I'd be shocked if it didn't have gunk shot on it.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

I am down to mostly version exclusives and a couple trade evolutions to fill out my dex.

Managed to get a Skrelp through Wonder Trade. I also got 4 Charmanders in Luxury balls in a row. All from different people.

I’m building a nice little collection of French and German Pokémon. They go in their own box.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Muscle Tracer posted:

I would be shocked if Cinderace doesn't have a hard-coded first move like Charizard did, to set its Protean type. And if it's gonna be tera Fighting, it makes sense to me that that'd be a Fighting-type move.

Tera overwrites Protean. It’s going to be Fighting type regarding of what it uses

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Framboise posted:

The problem with Azumarill is that most randos aren't running Shell Bell with Azu so they'll Belly Drum and immediately get owned, ruining the raid for everyone. Also, Play Rough is bugged and breaks the HP bar.

What's the advantage of using shell bell over leftovers? I haven't spent much time in the competitive scene and I'm curious

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

What's the advantage of using shell bell over leftovers? I haven't spent much time in the competitive scene and I'm curious

The amount of healing from Shell Bell is based on damage dealt, and since Tera Raid Pokémon have like 25 times the normal amount of HP you’re getting back that much more

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Shell Bell is % of HP back based on damage done. Because raid bosses have so much HP, you can full heal with one (non-shielded) attack.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
what's the purpose of giving raid Pokémon all that extra HP if attacks are similarly boosted to do much more damage? just more leeway to calibrate stuff?

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

thetoughestbean posted:

Tera overwrites Protean. It’s going to be Fighting type regarding of what it uses

Yeah, all Libero means is whichever attack Cinderace uses first will be his STAB (possibly fighting for doubke STAB)

Framboise posted:

Play Rough doesn't break the bar, the bug is that damage is applied twice to the bar itself but the next time it properly reads the HP so that's why it looks like it kills but the mon survives.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Nessa posted:

I am down to mostly version exclusives and a couple trade evolutions to fill out my dex.

Managed to get a Skrelp through Wonder Trade. I also got 4 Charmanders in Luxury balls in a row. All from different people.

I’m building a nice little collection of French and German Pokémon. They go in their own box.

:3: I have a box called 'Masuda' where I keep all my foreign-language pokemon.

I also landed a skrelp wonder Trading. Also, last night, random Scream Tail out of nowhere. I did *not* send out something as good as that. But I have caught a spare Iron Valiant that I'm gonna let go tonight into the void.

Good Natured Filth - let us know if you need a hand with anything in those games. I'm sure there are goons here who will throw shinies at your child till she's bored of them.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

Yeah, all Libero means is whichever attack Cinderace uses first will be his STAB (possibly fighting for doubke STAB)

Play Rough doesn't break the bar, the bug is that damage is applied twice to the bar itself but the next time it properly reads the HP so that's why it looks like it kills but the mon survives.

No it also breaks the bar. You can see discrepancies that last the entire battle between the hp bar on the target select screen (the correct one) and the one at the top of the screen (the wrong one)

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Raiding doesn’t have much to do with competitive really

Also Leftovers is really bad for raiding because of the text after each attack, since it’s realtime(sorta)

Emo Szyslak
Feb 25, 2006

For kingambit, because I’m obsessed, would pressure or defiant be better? I have the Tera type I want (flying) on a pressure one but defiant on a less advantageous Tera and I’m training both anyway but idk which one to actually take for a spin (if either, because it’s so slow)

None are shiny why do I give a poo poo ahhh this loving game rules

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Scuba Trooper posted:

For kingambit, because I’m obsessed, would pressure or defiant be better? I have the Tera type I want (flying) on a pressure one but defiant on a less advantageous Tera and I’m training both anyway but idk which one to actually take for a spin (if either, because it’s so slow)

For what mode? Supreme Overlord is the best for any kind of competitive, Defiant is by default the best for Tera raids and Pressure uh exists.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Scuba Trooper posted:

Defiant is the best ability for Kingambit hands down afaict

Emo Szyslak
Feb 25, 2006

Ranked battles. Overlord hinges on being backed into a corner which I’d rather not do

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

that's smart

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Scuba Trooper posted:

Ranked battles. Overlord hinges on being backed into a corner which I’d rather not do

Then Defiant by default. Pressure is a pretty garbage ability, especially on a mon which isn't even good at stalling.

But also you're gonna lose teammates in Ranked so unless you have it exclusively as your lead or first sacrifice Overlord is gonna probably be relevant more than Defiant. You don't need maximum value out of it for it to be worthwhile.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

SO is a 10% boost to BP for every dead Pokemon... and official ranked uses 3v3 and 4v4. And in 6v6 where you get the max usage unless you play Smogon you can just use Houndstone for 350 BP Last Respects go brrr.

Defiant counters Intimidate, Defog and Chilling Water so yeah, much better.

Emo Szyslak
Feb 25, 2006

I suspected defiant would be better, so I’m glad to have capsules to burn

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
edit: nvm

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Supreme overlord is for if you want kingambit to be a late game cleaner, defiant if you want it to destroy teams that try to mess with speed

Emo Szyslak
Feb 25, 2006

When I was in the raid I was excited to have the type I wanted but thinking “it better not be pressure” and then of course

Great IVs too

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

SO is a 10% boost to BP for every dead Pokemon... and official ranked uses 3v3 and 4v4. And in 6v6 where you get the max usage unless you play Smogon you can just use Houndstone for 350 BP Last Respects go brrr.

Defiant counters Intimidate, Defog and Chilling Water so yeah, much better.

How often are you running into Intimidate on ladder? There really aren't that many good users in ScarVio outside of Mence and I haven't seen too many people running it.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Scuba Trooper posted:

When I was in the raid I was excited to have the type I wanted but thinking “it better not be pressure” and then of course

Great IVs too

6* Raids are usually the HA, gotta use an ability oatch or hunt the 5* raids for the bad HA mons.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Zore posted:

For what mode? Supreme Overlord is the best for any kind of competitive, Defiant is by default the best for Tera raids and Pressure uh exists.

I’d say Defiant is better by quite a large margin in Doubles/VGC due to the preponderance of debuffs and smaller teams.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Saagonsa posted:

Supreme overlord is for if you want kingambit to be a late game cleaner, defiant if you want it to destroy teams that try to mess with speed

everyone on ladder is messing with speed haha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I'm about half way through the game, and I just have to say.

I appreciate the pokemon drawings on the wall of the art classroom.