Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

im gonna go out when the wind hits nyc and try and see how crooked those boondoggle super skyscrapers look in 40-60mph sustained

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

FlapYoJacks posted:

Stable cold? Yes. -40F drops in 3 minutes? No

I don't think I've ever seen anything like it. I was watching jeff piotrowski this morning before work. He was in Tulsa Oklahoma and in the ~ 1 hour I watched it went from 40° and raining to 11° and blowing snow. His car flash froze into an ice cube. It is now 4° there. The fact that this is a relatively slow drop compared to some of the things we've seen is just wild to me.

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010
Cleveland jet steamer

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

this is the breakdown of the polar vortex. this is what it looks like when there is no polar vortex. thats the new part. the polar vortex is normal and is what helps keep cold air over the arctic (and Antarctic). climate change is destabilizing the system so we get more of these big blobs of escaping cold air

ok you are right, it's always existed, it just used to stay in the arctic

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Woodchip posted:

Cleveland jet steamer

Frigid Sanchez

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
My sister in law got stuck driving from Copper Mountain to Denver International Airport last night. It took her 7 hours to do a normal 2-3 hour drive. Apparently she got lucky because it got worse. She was stuck on i-70 just past silverthorn until the tunnel for 4.5 of those hours. Just multiple cars dead in the middle of the road with whiteout conditions. Amazing.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/Climatologist49/status/1606038555209265152

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Yep, that's pretty much it.
https://www.instagram.com/powderbuoy/?hl=en

#yeahbuoy

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

RC Cola posted:

My sister in law got stuck driving from Copper Mountain to Denver International Airport last night. It took her 7 hours to do a normal 2-3 hour drive. Apparently she got lucky because it got worse. She was stuck on i-70 just past silverthorn until the tunnel for 4.5 of those hours. Just multiple cars dead in the middle of the road with whiteout conditions. Amazing.

Copper Mountain was the worst Jim Carrey movie

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
Chances I am able to fly out of SeaTac at 10pm? Probably low huh.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

err posted:

get a big tarp and hold on tight. you'll fly out of there for sure

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

actionjackson posted:

ok you are right, it's always existed, it just used to stay in the arctic

put it back :(

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

RC Cola posted:

Don't drive on interstates in conditions like this, lol. They'll be blocked by idiots with summer tires spinning out, every time. If you must drive, back roads are the way to go.

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

bombogenesis sounds like the name of a chrono trigger triple-tech

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

cat botherer posted:

Don't drive on interstates in conditions like this, lol. They'll be blocked by idiots with summer tires spinning out, every time. If you must drive, back roads are the way to go.

not sure back roads are a good alternative to I-70 in the rockies in the winter. :raise:

proof:

Willa Rogers has issued a correction as of 23:38 on Dec 22, 2022

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

Red Baron posted:

just fly in your sleigh duh

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

err posted:

If the mess at Vancouver the other day is any indication, pretty low. Maybe SeaTac will fare better?

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

cat botherer posted:

This just guarantees you slide off into a ditch nobody finds you in for hours or days. Don't go anywhere.

never leave the house, goons, you should know this

Gravid Topiary
Feb 16, 2012

Willa Rogers posted:

not sure back roads are a good alternative to I-70 in the rockies in the winter. :raise:
just drive along unplowed logging roads in the wintry darkness, one weird trick!

Apex Rogers
Jun 12, 2006

disturbingly functional

cat botherer posted:

Don’t forget the Taco Bell hot sauce

https://www.delish.com/food-news/a26627230/man-survived-five-days-eating-taco-bell-hot-sauce/

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

mix it wit da relish.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

cat botherer posted:

Yes, I’m sure “take the roads that aren’t well lit or plowed during dangerous winter conditions” is the way to go!

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

I hate driving that strip of I-70 close to glenwood springs even when the weather is ideal; I can't imagine doing it in winter.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

if you are trying to go either direction over the rocky mountains in the middle of a winter storm just get a hotel along the way somewhere, it's not worth it. probably looks cool though

that tunnel is at like 12000 feet in the mountains but paving an interstate through it trains americans to believe they are under uncle sam's divine protection the whole way through, blizzards and avalanches be damned

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
drat it got cold quick.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Gripweed posted:

drat it got cold quick.

goin from chilly but livable to potentially deadly in less than an hour, feels bad man.

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

oh good

Hello Residents,

We are running on limited hot water in the building. While we are waiting on the vendor to arrive, please limit the amount of hot water you are using - take shorter showers, do your dishes in warm water, etc. We are hoping the hot water tanks can be fixed tonight, but it might not be until tomorrow. We will update you when the hot water tanks are fixed.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

SirPablo posted:

You all are stupid.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

mistermojo posted:

oh good

Hello Residents,

We are running on limited hot water in the building. While we are waiting on the vendor to arrive, please limit the amount of hot water you are using - take shorter showers, do your dishes in warm water, etc. We are hoping the hot water tanks can be fixed tonight, but it might not be until tomorrow. We will update you when the hot water tanks are fixed.

did the boiler break I don’t get it

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Super's down there with a bic lighter heating the water up

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005
Avatar blanked by Admin request.

Koirhor posted:

just need 3 iron ingots to repair

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
bombogenesis is a cocktail where the bartender pours you a triple shot of whiskey, you chug it, and then they throw a whole glass of water in your face

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
In Philadelphia it is now t shirt weather, a balmy 48 degrees. I am enjoying this time now because it's going to be below freezing for a week after tonight.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Stop talking to yourself.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Usually it gets cold at night and warm in the day but now the opposite is happening. What's next?? Shoes on my hands??

hand shoes is literally the Dutch word for gloves. "handschoenen". :eng101:

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Koirhor posted:

often boilers will shunt a portion of domestic hot to standing heaters, which if leaking can really limit what's available to the building, depending on how the heating is designed, BTUs of boiler, etc.

At least from what I've learned from my building. Who knows if its the root of OP's problem.

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

Platystemon posted:

Stop talking to yourself.

Leave it to the jerk off sun to empty quote himself.

I can tell you guys that my dog was ridiculously stoked on his walk this afternoon in the cold wind

Gravid Topiary
Feb 16, 2012

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

bombogenesis is a cocktail where the bartender pours you a triple shot of whiskey, you chug it, and then they throw a whole glass of water liquid nitrogen in your face

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

educate me mr. sirpablo I want to learn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

ekuNNN posted:

hand shoes is literally the Dutch word for gloves. "handschoenen". :eng101:

the way to say toes in spanish is "dedos de pie"

foot fingers