Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who's your 2022 MVP?
This poll is closed.
Shohei Ohtani 50 59.52%
Aaron Judge 19 22.62%
Hey, the national league has an MVP too you know! 15 17.86%
Total: 84 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Red posted:

https://twitter.com/CharlieG__/status/1606001896682045440

A lot of world champion Royals are available

How have the Royals not pounced on this opportunity?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

tadashi posted:

How have the Royals not pounced on this opportunity?

Dayton Moore can't resign them because the Royals fired him

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Willians/Schwindel battle for supremacy of NPB

General Bullshit
Apr 20, 2020

Is Michael Conforto really the best free agent remaining? :psyduck:

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

General Bullshit posted:

Is Michael Conforto really the best free agent remaining? :psyduck:

Him and Eovaldi. Condolences everyone who didn't sign big names

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Kinda hoping the Cubs can snag Conforto on a shorter term prove it deal and convince him to be our DH, although I imagine the chances are pretty slim. Cubs desperately need lefty bats and even in his down 2022 he was still a 100 OPS+ guy.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

https://twitter.com/MaxTGoodman/status/1606009808838135829?s=20&t=Xc40l4kvT2a5ce4beVUQWw

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Trade every Jays pitching prospect I don't give a gently caress

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
lol @ if they don't get Reynolds because they traded their only good pitching prospects for Benintendi and Montas who are gone/dogshit.

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007
Something witty yet inspirational about the Cleveland Indians

Holy poo poo Cleveland offer them Civale or Plesac and get it done.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Passan has an article up on ESPN about the contract, and the Giants did back out of the deal, it wasn't Boras (as almost everyone thought)

quote:

Finally, about 1 p.m. PT, the parties reengaged on the phone. Boras asked team officials whether they intended to proceed with the 13-year contract. The Giants said they did not -- at least not at its current length and value. Perhaps they could work out a new deal.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/insider/insider/story/_/id/35298710/mlb-free-agency-carlos-correa-leaving-giants-mets

Twins seemed likely to hold their previous offer but not up it:

quote:

And he was, reaching out to the Twins, who had grown fond of Correa and offered him a $285 million deal before he agreed with San Francisco. Minnesota, spooked slightly by the failed physical, wasn't inclined to raise its offer, at least not on the quick timeline Boras sought.

secular woods sex
Aug 1, 2000
I dispense wisdom by the gallon.

GPTribefan posted:

Holy poo poo Cleveland offer them Civale or Plesac and get it done.
Neither of them are good enough to anchor that trade.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

The fact that the Yankees are the only team I've seen linked to this trade rumor means it either gets done for a bag of balls or doesn't happen.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Passan has an article up on ESPN about the contract, and the Giants did back out of the deal, it wasn't Boras (as almost everyone thought)

https://www.espn.com/mlb/insider/insider/story/_/id/35298710/mlb-free-agency-carlos-correa-leaving-giants-mets

Twins seemed likely to hold their previous offer but not up it:

They were specifically "concerned" about a surgically repaired fracture from 8 years ago that has never been an issue since.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

MrMidnight posted:

Him and Eovaldi. Condolences everyone who didn't sign big names

Giants should use the money to take on some "WORST CONTRACTZ IN MLB" names off a BleacherFanBetDuelSiding.xyz listicle from last year. They're suddenly not as awful as they once appeared and you can make demands for salary dumps. The 3B prospect is still in AA, so Yoan Moncada's last two years at what used to be an extravagant rate? Why not!

Of course Farhan knows this poo poo, it's how LA wound up with Beckett and Ramirez.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Dec 23, 2022

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Can I interest you Giants fans in one slightly used Anthony Rendon?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Giant fans shouldn't be too upset. Your team wants to spend money and there will be good FA's available every year, they'll get one and they don't have to root for an rear end in a top hat cheater either.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

https://twitter.com/BNightengale/status/1606086603885010945

He's back!

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Dodgers just added an arm to their rotation!

https://twitter.com/BNightengale/status/1606085554633723904?s=20&t=ZGXx_zAP5fM6ICfg6biXEA

EDIT: nm

https://twitter.com/BNightengale/status/1606085846376992768?s=20&t=ZGXx_zAP5fM6ICfg6biXEA

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Dec 23, 2022

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I'm not sure who's fault this is but boooooooo

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Dodgers absolutely should release him, I hope he never pitches in the MLB again.

Also from the MLB statement.

quote:

While we believe a longer suspension was warranted, MLB will abide by the neutral arbitrators decision

Cowards

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Someone will absolutely pick him up if the Dodgers cut him.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Popete posted:

Also from the MLB statement.

Cowards

I bet this is part of the CBA

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Slimy Hog posted:

I bet this is part of the CBA

Maybe but the league didn't have to hire an arbitrary arbiter, they could have just upheld their original suspension.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

mcmagic posted:

Gonna be the Yankees. Gotta replace German and Chapman

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

mcmagic posted:

Addison Russell's old number is even available.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Popete posted:

Maybe but the league didn't have to hire an arbitrary arbiter, they could have just upheld their original suspension.
I could be wrong but my understanding of the Joint Domestic Violence, Sexual Assault and Child Abuse Policy is that if a player appeals the suspension (Bauer is the first), the decision is made by an independent arbitrator.

gently caress Manfred, forever and ever, but I don't believe there's the option to formally disregard the arbitrator's ruling.

With that said, we've been joking all day about the Owners' "not collusion but...". They've shown an ability to hold firm in the past when it benefited their wallet. I guess we'll see if holding the line over domestic violence and graphic sexual assault is as important to them as suppressing player wages :lol: no

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

the replies are... bad

So he's eligible to play again starting late May, which means most of his money is on the Dodgers books this year and they are over the tax anyway. Why'd' they penny-pinch this winter again?

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

bawfuls posted:

the replies are... bad

So he's eligible to play again starting late May, which means most of his money is on the Dodgers books this year and they are over the tax anyway. Why'd' they penny-pinch this winter again?

Shohei Ohtani

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
https://twitter.com/HeheWaitWhut/status/1606095811435106305

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I hope Bobbo is right this one time and the Dodgers actually do release that piece of poo poo. I also hope he's out of the leage forever but unfortunately I expect some club to pick him up. :(

In non shithead pitcher news:

https://twitter.com/ByRobertMurray/status/1606077405637931009

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

mcmagic posted:

What team would be so desperate to win more games on LA's nickel that they would abandon all sense of good PR and moral sta- The Astros.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Craptacular! posted:

What team would be so desperate to win more games on LA's nickel that they would abandon all sense of good PR and moral sta- The Astros.
Look, it was Lunhow who wanted Heimlich and he was talked down. And gone now. So it probably won't be them.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Paracaidas posted:

Look, it was Lunhow who wanted Heimlich and he was talked down. And gone now. So it probably won't be them.

Trying to be funny and failed miserably. Shouldn't joke about an abuser.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

MrMidnight posted:

Shohei Ohtani
asinine reason

-they can afford Ohtani next year and someone real this year
-there is no guarantee they get a shot at Ohtani next year, he might get traded and extended before then

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Inspector_666 posted:

The fact that the Yankees are the only team I've seen linked to this trade rumor means it either gets done for a bag of balls or doesn't happen.
Atlanta was linked in the first reports about him wanting a trade and now that Dansby's gone he makes even more sense as a bat to add, if they even have the disposable pieces to get it done.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Just want to reiterate how long the Dodgers have had to prepare for this decision point. They have known this is a possibility for many many months.

There is zero reason to delay. Cut him now, don't sit around waiting for a thousand lovely Plaschke columns or whatever.

Maybe they are cynically shopping him in trade now....

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Dec 23, 2022

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

Craptacular! posted:

Maybe he'll go back to Cleveland, the city embraced Deshaun Watson after all

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

MrMidnight posted:

Trying to be funny and failed miserably. Shouldn't joke about an abuser.
If that's aimed at me, that wasn't an attempt at humor. My first comparison that came to mind with the news was Heimlich and I had to look up whether it was Crane or Luhnow who was arguing to bring him on board.

That was my most readily available example for "otherwise desirable player considered too toxic for everyone in the league", even if its far from apples to apples.

E:vv :respek:

Paracaidas fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Dec 23, 2022

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Paracaidas posted:

If that's aimed at me, that wasn't an attempt at humor. My first comparison that came to mind with the news was Heimlich and I had to look up whether it was Crane or Luhnow who was arguing to bring him on board.

That was my most readily available example for "otherwise desirable player considered too toxic for everyone in the league", even if its far from apples to apples.

It wasn't. I was referring to the post you quoted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

bawfuls posted:

asinine reason

-they can afford Ohtani next year and someone real this year
-there is no guarantee they get a shot at Ohtani next year, he might get traded and extended before then

I know and agree with you, but that's all I've been reading on why the Dodgers had a relatively light off-season.