Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

MA JAKE, MA EYWA, MA SPIDER

Tekne fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Dec 21, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I remember being blown away by the behind-the-scenes footage from the first film, seeing performance capture in action. Still blows me away today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGerIQIjuqg&hd=1

But also I wanna see this now (thanks Roth, lmao):
https://twitter.com/blockbustedpod/status/1604967395831025665

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal
This is a pretty great article where they go over a lot of the tech advances they did for this movie as well.

https://beforesandafters.com/2022/12/21/why-the-cg-water-in-the-way-of-water-looks-so-good/

The stuff about their water sims is pretty nuts.

Also turns out this shot VFX folks were going insane over was a blend of live action and CG.

b&a mag posted:

b&a: Finally, there was a lot of online speculation after people saw that shot of the hands tightening the leather straps on the creature on the water surface, and people wondering whether it was practical or CG. To settle the debate, can you tell me if that was real or CG?

Eric Saindon: The shot in question was both live action and CG. The props department built a Ilu saddle and strap for Kevin Dorman to sit on in a small pool on stage. Kevin’s hand and forearm were painted by Sarah Rubano using reference of Jake’s arm from the CG model. Jim Cameron was then able to get the performance he wanted for the wrapping of the strap around Jake’s hand and interacting with the water. Once we got the plates at Wētā FX, we match moved the motion and used CG from the straps above Jake’s wrists. We used real water over the saddle and around the hands and fingers. CG water was used to extend the plate and to get the interaction of Jake’s body in the water.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

So a lot of the actors have already filmed scenes from 3-5? And they have to keep quiet about that for potentially seven or eight years?

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Is there a projected release schedule?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Is there a projected release schedule?

Christmas 2024, 26 and 28.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Tom Guycot posted:

I mean they're not putting spies into those bodies, they're putting bearded wrap around shade wearing war crime lovin' "operators" into those 10' tall bodies. I don't think they have the slightest interest (or ability) to try and pass themselves off as real na'vi to other na'vi, even if you ignore all the biological differences like number of fingers.

Even the Avatars were more meant to be basically somewhere between scouts and super-soldiers with capacity for spying being a bonus, since they can function on Pandora better than humans can, and Jake demonstrated the advantages of having a body that's compatible with the literally linked native life.

There's also something to be said for fetishisation and commoditisation of Na'Vi bodies even while they have little to no regard for the actual people.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
I thought the basic narrative of the first Avatar movie was about a depressed veteran becoming addicted to the world's best MMORPG (hence the hyper idealistic/racist depiction of the Navi)--I can't imagine the future movies having the same interest without that weird, comic central conceit. We're just watching Pochantas Indians for five movies? It's nothing without the dialectic.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Tom Guycot posted:

I mean they're not putting spies into those bodies, they're putting bearded wrap around shade wearing war crime lovin' "operators" into those 10' tall bodies. I don't think they have the slightest interest (or ability) to try and pass themselves off as real na'vi to other na'vi, even if you ignore all the biological differences like number of fingers.

Did any of them have facial hair? I bet there was a long conversation in pre-production about whether they could grow big ol' DEVGRU beards in their Na'vi bodies. Obviously there's no reason for it like there would be in the Middle East, but there's no reason for the tattoos or the moto patches or the XXXL Oakley shades either.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Arglebargle III posted:

So a lot of the actors have already filmed scenes from 3-5? And they have to keep quiet about that for potentially seven or eight years?

No. From what I remember, Cameron had said in a video interview (I forget which one) that he filmed some parts for Avatar 4 that include the kids during the production of Avatar 2 and 3 (both films were shot back-to-back; similar production process as the Lord of the Rings and Pirates of the Caribbean films). But other than those scenes with the kids, no other footage was shot for parts 4 or 5. Avatar 3 is in post-production right now. Cameron's on record saying if Avatar 2 and 3 don't perform well at the box office, we likely won't be seeing parts 4 and 5.

[edit]

porfiria posted:

I thought the basic narrative of the first Avatar movie was about a depressed veteran becoming addicted to the world's best MMORPG (hence the hyper idealistic/racist depiction of the Navi)--I can't imagine the future movies having the same interest without that weird, comic central conceit. We're just watching Pochantas Indians for five movies? It's nothing without the dialectic.

:rolleyes: For you, maybe. I know this might sound crazy, but not everyone shares the same read of the film that you do.

teagone fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Dec 22, 2022

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

We regret to inform you that the blue cat aliens are racist

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

porfiria posted:

People keep saying that the portrayal of the central messages of these movies is far too unsubtle, yet here we have somebody posting "the point of the movie is that it looks just like my vidio gmaes!!!"

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

steinrokkan posted:

People keep saying that the portrayal of the central messages of these movies is far too unsubtle, yet here we have somebody posting "the point of the movie is that it looks just like my vidio gmaes!!!"

To be fair, it's a valid read, but pretty elementary. Thinking about how the idea of remote piloting a superhuman-like being is similar to playing an MMORPG or whatever. Jake "logs in" daily on his gaming PC (the pod chamber thing), and is consumed by playing in his avatar body -- so much so that the film makes it a point to show how unkempt and scrubby his human form has become after getting "addicted" to Pandora; Jake doesn't shower, doesn't eat properly, let's his beard get all scruffy and doesn't change his clothes, etc. He eventually levels up and upgrades his mount from the common-rarity blue dragon to the giant legendary orange gently caress-off dragon.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Mister Speaker posted:

Did any of them have facial hair? I bet there was a long conversation in pre-production about whether they could grow big ol' DEVGRU beards in their Na'vi bodies. Obviously there's no reason for it like there would be in the Middle East, but there's no reason for the tattoos or the moto patches or the XXXL Oakley shades either.

Actually wouldn't be surprised if the company went out of their way to provide those things to get the soldiers comfortable in their new bodies.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
Saying Spider's actor has already aged out of the role even though they've filmed 3-5?

I guess we can assume the timeline will stay fairly linear and immediate then

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

porfiria posted:

This poster gonna lose his mind when avatar 3, 4 and 5 absolutely destroy the box office.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Is Avatar still looking like a box office monster? I thought I had heard it under performed its opening weekend expectations.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Tom Guycot posted:

Is Avatar still looking like a box office monster? I thought I had heard it under performed its opening weekend expectations.

It was tracking to make over $525 million opening weekend I think, but officially made a little over $430 million instead. It's at $555 million now. The first Avatar film didn't exactly storm out the gate either; it was a slow burn that lasted weeks. I expect TWOW to be the same, especially since there's no other tentpole release that'll boot it out of IMAX venues any time soon.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

It opened in during the World cup. We will see what happens this weekend I guess.

I would expect people to recommend the movie to other people.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
It's underperforming in China but that's not a surprise given what else is going on.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

If you've any doubts about TWOW's box office numbers during the entirety of its run, just refer to the thread title.

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure

Doctor Spaceman posted:

It's underperforming in China but that's not a surprise given what else is going on.

China is the biggest problem for its global box office prospects I think—covid shutting Chinese theaters at release, and then there’s also going to be more competition at the Chinese box office than in the US—Lunar New Year is in mid-January and features a number of big releases.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

steinrokkan posted:

The more media I consume the more I feel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yk7M2jGdnxU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

How much does Disney pay to steam it later ?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

teagone posted:

Cameron's on record saying if Avatar 2 and 3 don't perform well at the box office, we likely won't be seeing parts 4 and 5.

Well if you thought the pandemic killing millions in China this winter was bad before, this only makes it worse! Can even Box Office Jim defeat the deadliest phase of the coronavirus pandemic?

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Was there a line from Quaritch or Giovanni Ribisi early on in TWOW about how they deliberately left out the memory of his death in programming his new body? I can't remember exactly what it was but I think one of them says as much. (Obviously not just because they took his memories from a still-living Quaritch, they could probably have found his body and included some more things if they wanted to)

Interesting that basically the first thing he does is go seek out his dead body and boot up the playback of Neytiri gapping him with two arrows. Obviously cinematically this is to set up his desire for vengeance but I wonder if there's something more going on, especially in light of him crushing his own skull in his new hands, and what is clearly hinting at some sort of redemption arc between him and Spider in the coming films.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

teagone posted:

To be fair, it's a valid read, but pretty elementary. Thinking about how the idea of remote piloting a superhuman-like being is similar to playing an MMORPG or whatever. Jake "logs in" daily on his gaming PC (the pod chamber thing), and is consumed by playing in his avatar body -- so much so that the film makes it a point to show how unkempt and scrubby his human form has become after getting "addicted" to Pandora; Jake doesn't shower, doesn't eat properly, let's his beard get all scruffy and doesn't change his clothes, etc. He eventually levels up and upgrades his mount from the common-rarity blue dragon to the giant legendary orange gently caress-off dragon.

It's hilarious because when I was showing my wife the first film, we made the very same joke about him getting his first mount and what not.

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
Saw the film in IMAX 3D HFR and I loved every minute of it. Had a grin on my face for most of it just due to how amazing it looked, never for one moment doubted that I was watching something real. One thing I don't think worked though was the changing between HFR and normal - I think HFR helped make the CGI feel much more life-like, and when it switched back it was jarring, especially when it was only for a couple of shots.

Mister Speaker posted:

Was there a line from Quaritch or Giovanni Ribisi early on in TWOW about how they deliberately left out the memory of his death in programming his new body?

I think video Quaritch says they were using a backup taken before that final mission, so any memories Na'vi Quaritch has are from before that point, not sure if their technology would support snapshotting a dead person either.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
This movie is cool.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Mister Speaker posted:

Was there a line from Quaritch or Giovanni Ribisi early on in TWOW about how they deliberately left out the memory of his death in programming his new body?

Yes. They made the backup because they were worried about his last mission going bad, so the snapshot is from just before he recorded the video. He does not remember dying because Quaritch obviously couldn't make a backup lying dead in the mountains.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

After the Cameron dies someone is going to make a fortune recutting the footage into an eight season TV show and finishing all the VFX for the cut scenes they include.

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

Does it tickle when your Body Thetans flap their wings, eh Beatrice?
The memory dump opens up so many possibilities - like implanting the same set of memories in several avatars and having a whole army of Quaritch'es. A bit like Agent Smith in The Matrix. Growing a compatible avatar is not trivial though, it's resource intensive and time consuming - hence why Jake Sully was offered his twin's avatar in the first movie.

I wonder if Pandora tech might become some sort of future for humanity as well, either as avatars or perhaps just as non-corporeal beings living in a sort of soul state. Could be a sort of Matrix-like nightmare, or maybe something like the Zalem central computer in Alita: Battle Angel.

teagone posted:

Does Avatar tech work other places than Pandora? We see them linking up to Avatars in space, but I wonder if the reason you can't just jam the link or trace the link, is that Pandora itself works as the data link between the pilot and the avatar. As far as the movies have shown, the link is almost as spiritual as it is technological. If it was a simple radio link, it would be so easy to sever or trace. From a military standpoint, Pandorans have a huge advantage of Pandora itself being an un-jammable communications network - it's the ideal battelground for Network-centric Warfare. But if the Na'vi go to space and to Earth, that advantage is not there. Unless Earth also has an undiscovered, more nascent form of this network.

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

Slashfilm interview with VFX supervisors,
Like in the BeforeAndAfter article, I take from this that they shot a lot of reference footage, and may have snuck some real footage into places which we don't expect to be real.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Vir posted:

Does Avatar tech work other places than Pandora? We see them linking up to Avatars in space, but I wonder if the reason you can't just jam the link or trace the link, is that Pandora itself works as the data link between the pilot and the avatar. As far as the movies have shown, the link is almost as spiritual as it is technological. If it was a simple radio link, it would be so easy to sever or trace. From a military standpoint, Pandorans have a huge advantage of Pandora itself being an un-jammable communications network - it's the ideal battelground for Network-centric Warfare. But if the Na'vi go to space and to Earth, that advantage is not there. Unless Earth also has an undiscovered, more nascent form of this network.

It's a psionic link. I don't see any reason why an avatar driver wouldn't be able to pilot their avatar body anywhere else (so long as the link bed is within distance) based on the avatar program wiki entry: https://james-camerons-avatar.fandom.com/wiki/Avatar_Program

The specifics are probably detailed in the Avatar activist survival guide book that I have.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I could watch Neytiri getting bullseye shots on SA-2 pilots all day. I think they even used the exact same behind-the-pilot-seat camera angle for at least two of her kills, which was gratuitous but I don't really care, it's such a good shot. My buddy and I were sitting in the theatre going "OH" like old Italian guys.

It's a hard six, but I would bet against us ever seeing an Earth setting in any of these movies. Remember we got a few deleted scenes of Jake Sully getting into a barfight and watching his twin get cremated, but they got struck from the cinematic release for good reason IMO (the opening we did get in the first movie is just such an awesome setup).

Arglebargle III posted:

He does not remember dying because Quaritch obviously couldn't make a backup lying dead in the mountains.

Right, but like I said they could have gone to retrieve his body. I guess what I meant to ask was, since I didn't remember how the dialogue went, was there any given strategic reason they'd have left out some of Quaritch's memories? Was there any specific instruction for him and the team to go find his dead body or did they do it on their own accord? And how did his review of the 'dash cam' of his death change his motivation?

Also, is Alita: Battle Angel worth a watch? When it first came out, I stayed far away because those anime eyes creeped me right out, but if it's dumb fun action like these movies I'll give it a shot.

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.

Mister Speaker posted:

Right, but like I said they could have gone to retrieve his body. I guess what I meant to ask was, since I didn't remember how the dialogue went, was there any given strategic reason they'd have left out some of Quaritch's memories? Was there any specific instruction for him and the team to go find his dead body or did they do it on their own accord? And how did his review of the 'dash cam' of his death change his motivation?

There's no reason to think that memories would be retrievable from a corpse. I didn't get the impression that Quaritch and his team intended to find his corpse but it was more happenstance, and I think his reaction was more being pissed off that he'd lost a battle to Neytiri than anything. His crushing his own skull was definitely him relinquishing the idea of being that same person, the way I took it.

quote:

Also, is Alita: Battle Angel worth a watch? When it first came out, I stayed far away because those anime eyes creeped me right out, but if it's dumb fun action like these movies I'll give it a shot.

It has some good scenes, particularly if you liked the manga. It's quite uneven in pacing and not excellent overall - they tried to do a bit too much with it story wise. Certainly watchable, not top tier. Some cool/gross cybernetics.

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

Yeah, looks like the memories are downloaded through a pod visit. It doesn't look like you can "edit" the memories, since they're exploiting technology they don't seem to fully understand.

Pacing-wise, Alita: Battle Angel could have used 20 minutes of runtime taken from Avatar 2. I'd still recommend watching it, and Cameron and Landau are talking up a sequel to that movie too right now. Rosa Salazar is great.

teagone posted:

It's a psionic link. I don't see any reason why an avatar driver wouldn't be able to pilot their avatar body anywhere else (so long as the link bed is within distance) based on the avatar program wiki entry: https://james-camerons-avatar.fandom.com/wiki/Avatar_Program

The specifics are probably detailed in the Avatar activist survival guide book that I have.

Interesting. I wonder how much of this is considered "canon" as such.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Mister Speaker posted:

They could not have gone to retrieve his body, they were forcibly removed from the surface of Pandora until more than ten years later when Quaritch was just a skeleton.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
i thought marines never left anyone behind :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

Mister Speaker posted:

i thought marines never left anyone behind :smug:
Maybe that's why all the dead RDA operators on his blue team are ex US Marine: These ones died trying to recover him, while the others just pissed off and surrendered?