Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gabagool
Jul 20, 2020

Drivers and flyers owned by snowflakes, I couldn't ask for a better Christmas present. Trains, meanwhile, are doing metal poo poo like lighting their switches and tracks on fire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Trogdos! posted:

I pity Americans with the infrastructure they have instead

Same, most Americans have absolutely no clue just how poo poo it is here.

I wish emigrating somewhere were in the cards for me :smith:

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

mystes
May 31, 2006

I hope their husband is asking the opposite question on r/fuckcars

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
rode my bike today

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

gradenko_2000 posted:

rode my bike today

a nine mile ride is only good for 800 calories. we live in such a scam universe

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

800 calories is a lot

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Bikes are pretty efficient at saving energy though, that's why they have wheels and are pretty light. The goal of a good bike is to use as little energy to move as possible (so you can go fast/far).

Nitevision
Oct 5, 2004

Your Friendly FYAD Helper
Ask Me For FYAD Help
Another Reason To Talk To Me Is To Hangout
https://twitter.com/UrbanistOrg/status/1605941287076564993

Yes the tunnel cost $4 billion and is going bankrupt because nobody uses it but at least it freed up the waterfront to become a park

Jk, we widened the streets there too and are building a new high-speed thoroughfare link but at least traffic is fixed

Jk

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

lobster shirt posted:

800 calories is a lot
And vastly more than OP actually burned going 16 km at a leisurely pace.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Real hurthling! posted:

a nine mile ride is only good for 800 calories. we live in such a scam universe

This was for 103 miles over ~7.5hrs if you want to burn a little more

Apr 7, 2003

cat botherer posted:

And vastly more than OP actually burned going 16 km at a leisurely pace.

yeah, all that stuff way overestimates, even with a heart rate monitor

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Nitevision posted:

Yes the tunnel cost $4 billion and is going bankrupt because nobody uses it but at least it freed up the waterfront to become a park

Jk, we widened the streets there too and are building a new high-speed thoroughfare link but at least traffic is fixed

Jk

Look, it is very reasonable to make the alternate hazmat route take you through the downtown corridor.

Because the main highway also goes straight through he middle of the downtown corridor.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

If your downtown doesn't have hazmats in accident-prone moving containers, is it even worth living in?

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

Nitevision posted:

Jk
Wow, too bad no one warned them about this exact scenario!

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

also kind of interesting to think about how bad weather can temporarily disable car brain, and appreciate how dangerous driving is

https://twitter.com/the_transit_guy/status/1605788623529336832

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

yeah, all that stuff way overestimates, even with a heart rate monitor

without a power meter, calorie and energy estimates for cycling have the accuracy of newspaper horoscopes

Jon Pod Van Damm
Apr 6, 2009

THE POSSESSION OF WEALTH IS IN AND OF ITSELF A SIGN OF POOR VIRTUE. AS SUCH:
1 NEVER TRUST ANY RICH PERSON.
2 NEVER HIRE ANY RICH PERSON.
BY RULE 1, IT IS APPROPRIATE TO PRESUME THAT ALL DEGREES AND CREDENTIALS HELD BY A WEALTHY PERSON ARE FRAUDULENT. THIS JUSTIFIES RULE 2--RULE 1 NEEDS NO JUSTIFIC

lobster shirt posted:

800 calories is a lot
______ for you
:goonsay:

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Agreed, highway ramps should require future users to slow down to 20 km/h to make the turn off the highway.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

highway ramps should actually lead directly to an incinerator

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Nitevision posted:

Jk
Was that tunnel made to replace the stacked above ground freeway, or in addition to the stacked freeway?

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

lobster shirt posted:

highway ramps should actually lead directly to an incinerator

:hmmyes:

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

CopperHound posted:

Was that tunnel made to replace the stacked above ground freeway, or in addition to the stacked freeway?

It was to replace it, which was then demolished (admittedly it should have gone a while ago). There was a proposal to widen surface streets instead but instead pushed for a tunnel for a route that never got a tremendous amount of traffic in the first place.

Also, there are building an above ground highway now as well even though the tunnel has plenty of capacity which means the tunnel will probably see almost no use.

Oh and yeah there used to be a streetcar line that could have been hooked into the rest of the network, but they got rid of that too.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Ardennes posted:

It was to replace it, which was then demolished (admittedly it should have gone a while ago). There was a proposal to widen surface streets instead but instead pushed for a tunnel for a route that never got a tremendous amount of traffic in the first place.

Also, there are building an above ground highway now as well even though the tunnel has plenty of capacity which means the tunnel will probably see almost no use.

Oh and yeah there used to be a streetcar line that could have been hooked into the rest of the network, but they got rid of that too.

the viaduct was insane. while driving on it you could look down and occasionally see holes where concrete chunks simply fell out. if an earthquake had hit while it was still up it would have killed everyone who was on it

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

Spergin Morlock posted:

the viaduct was insane. while driving on it you could look down and occasionally see holes where concrete chunks simply fell out. if an earthquake had hit while it was still up it would have killed everyone who was on it
Clearly the only other option was a 5 billion dollar deep-bore tunnel that buses can't go into, through literal mud that liquefies in earthquakes.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Spergin Morlock posted:

Yeah the viaduct was a wreck and would have gone down in a major earthquake like SF, but they should have taken a page from SF as well as just replaced it with surface improvements, and rebuilt the streetcar, but instead they built a tunnel that was a huge boondoggle that is going to be a net loss.

SF has actually been making some okay choices in recent years. I think the Central Subway was necessary to eventually hook up with Waterfront/Marine with the rest of the city along with the Van Ness BRT. The Geary BRT lanes seem actually useful as well. In addition, I was rather impressed with the improvements with the Presidio. Cal train electrification should also help. As an American city, it really isn't that bad beyond the strict limitations of BART. I wouldn't say the same for the rest of the Bay Area though.

Portland opened a "BRT-light" on Division but after a few months they found out the new buses were defective...

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 23:50 on Dec 22, 2022

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Nitevision posted:

Jk

I really want to get this tunnel named after the three people most responsible for pushing it: the Murray-Gregoire-Nickels Memorial Tunnel.

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

i hate most city sims don't even have the option of building things without the implicit assumption that all your citizens will have a car and drive it everywhere unless you play 'medieval misery simulator'

Apr 7, 2003

cowboy beepboop posted:

i hate most city sims don't even have the option of building things without the implicit assumption that all your citizens will have a car and drive it everywhere unless you play 'medieval misery simulator'

Where can I buy this simulator? tia

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Where can I buy this simulator? tia

There's a few:
https://store.steampowered.com/app/773790/Ostriv/
https://store.steampowered.com/app/690830/Foundation/
probably more I don't know about,
and coming soon is
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1363080/Manor_Lords/

I guess https://store.steampowered.com/app/858810/Dawn_of_Man/ could be argued to count as well?

Apr 7, 2003

Thank you, I love misery simulators

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

cowboy beepboop posted:

this is why Workers & Resources: Soviet Republic is the best city builder sim, because it actually models each individual car as matched to each family, and models the actual transit from home to work, and the need for parking, such that it accurately models the painful lesson that if you try to move to a model of private car ownership, even as few as a hundred cars will start choking the gently caress out of your streets

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Yeah, workers and resources is great in that it makes private car ownership a deliberate choice you have to make as a "prestige" thing, and then it immediately fucks everything you worked so hard to build. Incredible, 10/10 no notes.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

gradenko_2000 posted:

this is why Workers & Resources: Soviet Republic is the best city builder sim, because it actually models each individual car as matched to each family, and models the actual transit from home to work, and the need for parking, such that it accurately models the painful lesson that if you try to move to a model of private car ownership, even as few as a hundred cars will start choking the gently caress out of your streets

I was going to get that game until I saw a review that said people won't transfer between modes of transport and the only workaround is a checkbox to force buses to dump all their passengers at a single train station, which seems... not great.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

eXXon posted:

I was going to get that game until I saw a review that said people won't transfer between modes of transport and the only workaround is a checkbox to force buses to dump all their passengers at a single train station, which seems... not great.

seems pretty true to life tbh

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020

cowboy beepboop posted:

I assume Sim City came from someone seeing traffic demand modeling and thinking, "yeah that's a game"

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

cowboy beepboop posted:

that game has bicycle/pedestrian paths, trains, subways, ferries, buses, trams :confused:

you can even limit vehicle traffic in areas and ban semi trucks from using residential streets, you could build a city that had hardly any road traffic in it, it just takes more planning wifh where you place transpo infrastructure and jobs so that they're accessible on foot

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
City skylines has a lot of transit options, they just don’t have the whole production/resources aspect.

That said, I think you need mods for slightly more esoteric stuff.

The original Simcity was really simplified and only had rail or roads. 2000 had subways and buses but subways were pretty awkward to build.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

yeah that is one of the things that cities skylines does that separate it from basically all of the "modern"-type city builders that came before is that it actually models pedestrians and bikes as valid transportation methods (in addition to busses and trains and subways and so on) and I think now it even has a way to do pedestrian-only areas by default instead of needing a mod?

anyway, it's a real neat citybuilder slash traffic sim where you can really get in to playing around with trying to model non-carbrained cities and I recommend it and people who are just building satan's spaghetti freeway interchanges are missing the best parts of it imho

colossal order started out making the cities in motion games which are literally entirely about building mass transit infrastructure inside an existing city and that mindset and experience definitely shines through into skylines

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

every so often i get this little magazine in the mail from the college within the U of Minn. that I graduated from

look at this stupid poo poo

"We don't just want to make the car smart - we also want to make the infrastructure smart by using advanced network communication technologies such as 5G and edge computing"

"Think of it as air traffic control, but for self-driving vehicles. Zhang's team will develop new models and algorithms to move us closer to edge-assisted intelligent driving systems. Unlike the larger-scale cloud computing, edge computing puts the data closer to the location where it's being generated, at the "edge" of the network.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

actionjackson has issued a correction as of 18:18 on Dec 23, 2022