Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LegionAreI
Nov 14, 2006
Lurk
I love how when I set up a uniform of armor for my dwarves and tell them to wear it instead of clothes, they take it extremely literally. As soon as I assign it they just strip right the gently caress off where they are at, and go without pants and boots until I finish the batch.

The idea of steel helm, steel breastplate, mail shirt, and gauntlets but your rear end hanging out is just great.

Edit: also edit uniform when, boy it's annoying to have to recreate it every time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

LegionAreI posted:

I love how when I set up a uniform of armor for my dwarves and tell them to wear it instead of clothes, they take it extremely literally. As soon as I assign it they just strip right the gently caress off where they are at, and go without pants and boots until I finish the batch.

The idea of steel helm, steel breastplate, mail shirt, and gauntlets but your rear end hanging out is just great.

Edit: also edit uniform when, boy it's annoying to have to recreate it every time.

:nws:https://i.imgur.com/uMfrZyS.jpg:nws:

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
If you submerge your barracks in 3/7 depth water, will your dwarves train swimming while they spar?

PDP-1
Oct 12, 2004

It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood.

Chewbot posted:

Lol, this game. I am equally annoyed and enthralled, I've never played a game that has this many intricate systems which may or may not do anything or even exist.

The DF Wiki Page is fairly handy to get a one-page description of what most stuff does (I hope they move some of this in-game in the form of tooltips sometime).

Also this guy's Lets' Play series is pretty good and he focuses on 1-2 topics per video so you can pick and choose. Even if the title topic doesn't sound interesting on its own I find that I pick up a lot of little tricks from just watching a more experienced player.

I've been playing for about a week and am just hitting the 'mostly know the basics' level of competency. It is a weird and wonderful game.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Clocks posted:

Part of this is getting a notification each time your dwarves see a "squad" of cavern invaders. Also some embarks seem to have way more of them than others. My most recent fort would get invasions of 40-60+ rodent people at a time, whereas my fort before that would get 6-8 bat people instead. At some point the cleanup becomes more annoying than the fight itself. Honestly in a fort that has massive invasions I would start making an actual killbox/trap pit/whatever to deal with them.

I've noticed that as well. Wouldn't surprise me if there's hidden distributions of underground civilizations that determine cavern raid frequency

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Broken Cog posted:

If you submerge your barracks in 3/7 depth water, will your dwarves train swimming while they spar?
Dwarves can't fight/spar while actively swimming. Swimming skill only gets triggered at 4/7 and up, but the pathfinding algo marks 4/7+ water tiles as impassable so dwarves won't willingly enter those tiles.

the active ways of training swimming are using a retracting bridge + pressure plates design to drop them in a pool (can cause falling damage) or riding minecarts underwater like they're at an amusement park

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Would be cool if you could designate an area as a pool and dwarves who don't hate the water could go there to work on their swimming skills. Could even have a heating system to make it nice and warm for happy thoughts.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Gyoru posted:

Dwarves can't fight/spar while actively swimming. Swimming skill only gets triggered at 4/7 and up, but the pathfinding algo marks 4/7+ water tiles as impassable so dwarves won't willingly enter those tiles.

the active ways of training swimming are using a retracting bridge + pressure plates design to drop them in a pool (can cause falling damage) or riding minecarts underwater like they're at an amusement park

Thanks! Might test out the minecart setup and see how it works.
Reason I'm looking into it is that I'm having some issues with fighting the reptile men underground. They're aquatic, and love to hang out around the lakes down there, and if one of your dwarves charge up to the edge to bash one of them, they get immediately dragged in and drowned.

Edit: Honestly at this point I'm tempted to just wall off the entire top cavern layer. The endless reptile man attacks really isn't worth the hassle, and they're stopping me from exploring further down.
Good training though, even if my entire fort has ptsd from hauling bodies at this point.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Dec 23, 2022

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

edit: ^^^ if you don't need wood, farming or gathering from the caverns it's perfectly ok to wall off access to any or all of the levels, or to make a big area for farming and then wall off that etc.

I don't much care about training swimming but the wikipedia mentions this under soap:

quote:

Dwarves do not require soap to clean contaminants such as mud and blood from themselves - if necessary, they will use murky pools, artificial pools of water, brooks, or a well. However, using soap will often generate the happy thought "recently took a soapy bath". It is possible to construct bath-houses (rooms containing pools of water, a soap stockpile, and perhaps a few nice statues) so dwarves living deep underground need not venture to dangerous cave pools or surface brooks to clean off a little mud or some bloodstains. For cleaning wounds and preventing infection after surgery, however, hospitals should be kept stocked with a small amount of soap. Soap will get used up as dwarves wash themselves, and dirtier dwarves consume soap more quickly.

I usually just leave an extra stockpile of soap near my well which I think actually has the same effect, but I do like the idea of an actual bath house.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

my dad posted:

Diagnostician is the single most important job, and you want to focus all the experience into one guy, ideally one you're not putting at risk.

Otherwise, you can look forward to dorfs having misdiagnosed treatments which can be... bad

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Honestly Dwarf Fortress feels mystical sometimes like, if something bizarre and unexpected happens I'll be like 'well, there's probably a reason for that happening, just gotta trust'

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

How do you do, fellow antifa?

Fun Shoe
One time several years ago (i think I've mentioned this before) I had to do surgery to fix up a dwarf who'd gotten on the wrong side of a goblin snatcher and I had absolutely no decent surgeons, and the dwarf I drafted was apparently so bad that blood splattered on the adjacent wall. I've never seen this as a documented thing but I literally saw the bit of wall change color as i happened to be scrolling past, and that's why I believe anything anyone tells me about DF now.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
So Called "Atheist" Still Smooths Entire Water Duct Before Cracking River

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Speaking of shocking blood.

Had a narrow bridge going over a huge cavern lake. Very busy bridge, many dwarves and their various war dogs that follow. Suddenly the entire bridge was covered in blood and there were "stray war dog" bits everywhere. There were some creatures in the water, but none nearby. I have no idea what happened but something absolutely demolished the dog and missed the crowds of dwarves otherwise going about their business.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Will dwarves use hospital soap for bathing? I didn't even know the dirtiness mechanic existed

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Baronjutter posted:

Speaking of shocking blood.

Had a narrow bridge going over a huge cavern lake. Very busy bridge, many dwarves and their various war dogs that follow. Suddenly the entire bridge was covered in blood and there were "stray war dog" bits everywhere. There were some creatures in the water, but none nearby. I have no idea what happened but something absolutely demolished the dog and missed the crowds of dwarves otherwise going about their business.

If the bridge is 1 tile wide, you might have gotten unlucky and triggered overcrowding with a few dogs sharing a tile for too long, causing a fight.

e:

Danaru posted:

Will dwarves use hospital soap for bathing? I didn't even know the dirtiness mechanic existed

IIRC yes, I think it speeds up cleaning themselves and makes them happier.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

I know they'll bathe with soap if it's available, I don't know if they'll take it directly from the hospital or if you have to have a separate stockpile of soap for general, non-healthcare bathing.

I put a second stockpile just in case.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Sick, I can make a water source room next to my hospital so dwarves can bathe there. Too bad it's not its own room so I can't have them put in coffers, but maybe eventually :toot:

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Oh, lol, I misunderstood the question and failed to read someone's explanation of dorf soap above.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

Fortress 1 - Good intro fortress, not too much happened but I built one level under the earth and then when I dug up trees a bunch of my top level was exposed to the sky. It's not 2:30am so I'm gonna start a new fortress tomorrow. Couldn't get farming to work and ran out of seeds of everything so i need to read up on that a bit more I think

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

LegionAreI posted:

Ah, the Ancient Greek style of armour

yes i know the greeks didn't have steel get out

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

my dad posted:

If the bridge is 1 tile wide, you might have gotten unlucky and triggered overcrowding with a few dogs sharing a tile for too long, causing a fight.

Nah, aqueduct piranhas

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Maybe the dog's body just did that

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

What do dwarves want in the bedroom that would make them the happiest? Just a bed and stone cabinet/chest plus engraved/smoothed walls so a 3 or 4 space room?

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Armorstreams, my current mainline fort, has had a forgotten beast problem.

with four dead beasts and a few more leaving thanks to good defenses keeping them out, I started to get confident in my cavern exploration.

Exploring my first level cavern with a spear squad I directed miners to clear each geode that I found, carefully documenting the results. 3 obsidian, 1 water, 1 "we checked this stone for heat earlier what Devilry is this" suspicious notification.

So far so good. Then Abe Thefinnohus shows up on layer 1, An incredibly tough three-eyed pterosaur with golden scales and poisonous fangs. Its a Pterosaur which means it can fly, which is bad news as while i've walled off a bunch of narrow pathways through layer 1 they're still tall caverns with plenty of ways up and over obstactles that I haven't carefully mapped. And more specifically one suspended wall construction which is about 4 tiles east of what is about to happen. The miners finish their existing designations on these geodes, rolling a nat20 revealing Mafolzuntir Kikrost Datan, a divine Frosty Metal Spear artifact. Its name translates to "ChamberAnvils the Stockade of Iron.

This geode, spear, and suspended wall construction are in a straight line from where the forgotten beast is to where my defended cavern space is.

Thefinnohus goes on a rampage through the local worms and elk birds. This gives my military time to scramble more than just the one squad protecting my mining team. But the miners have been uncovering all the nice star saphires and clear diamonds generating hauling jobs. One poor kid, Zuglar, comes running down to grab some gems, dashing right toward danger. Despite only being 10 years old and having almost no real skill, hanging out in the tavern has made her a competent poet, musician, singer, and dancer, with over 8 pages worth of artistic knowledge, and a very promising future as an entertainer.

As the beast flys through the hole at Zuglar, the very first bolt crits the beasts leg, causing it to fall over (still in mid air though).

Two more bolts hit it in quick succession, and rather than flee and leave it to the approaching spearmasters the kid starts wailing on it. Punch after punch. Leaving Thefinnohus covered in bruises and shaken.

Alas, Thefinnohus manages to deal one venomous bite to poor Zuglar, before two ticks later it is slain with a spear straight into his brain.

Mafolzunitr, valued at about 1/4 of an entire kingdom, is recovered, and becomes the spear and symbol of my militia commander.

Zuglar walked himself right into our nice hospital where he was rapidly diagnosed. Months later and he appears to have not gotten poisoned, or if he did, it was not "deadly" as the announcement had warned.

I commissioned a few statues to commemorate it.

The very next Geode was a skinless elephant fiend that spewed boiling extract. Four Dead in seconds before the arrows and spears brought it down.

Griz
May 21, 2001

Mr E posted:

What do dwarves want in the bedroom that would make them the happiest? Just a bed and stone cabinet/chest plus engraved/smoothed walls so a 3 or 4 space room?

if you have a reasonably good carpenter and stoneworker, the low-effort 4x1+door bedrooms are all "very good" or better which gives a blissful mood.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I wish the shiny new graphics used pixel scaling algos people have developed for old school emulators when you go above native art resolution.

(doing it natively would look way better than this demo since you'd be able to do the different objects individually)

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Dec 23, 2022

Kevin Bacon
Sep 22, 2010

I love dwarfs

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
notice a lot of folks don't engrave every surface in their fortress, or even just the rooms. so much room for activities and cool history!

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Kevin Bacon posted:

I love dwarfs

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Ok Double Posting since this is an exciting few months:

First major siege shows up. I've been negligent on spike production so the trap zig zag isn't done. Marksdwarves start their pelting of the invaders, and then

this lass, Uvash, decides that she's not content to be stationed at the end of the hallway waiting to break the enemies charge. A hallway with multiple spearmasters in full gear. Nah, this junior warrior immediately enters a martial trance and makes three sprinting leaps across the spans to just slam into the enemy herself. She survived. Citing six kills, and bumped herself up to a adequate speardwarf. The siege of about 20 goblins is broken minutes later as the rest of the squad decides not to wait either.

Meanwhile it seems that our new fancy spear is as incredibly sharp as advertised, copper armor, skin, and guts all pierced in a single thrust.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Khanstant posted:

notice a lot of folks don't engrave every surface in their fortress, or even just the rooms. so much room for activities and cool history!

This is why I get panicked at deciding on room arrangements. What if I decide to change it later because I was wrong and I have to put in walls I can't engrave!

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...
I have 60 residents.

Out of that 60.. 20 are training in military full time.

I'm starting to dedicate people to jobs and burrows.

I'm short on lumber always as I'm deployed in a sparse tree biome. Can you plant new trees?

Otherwise, what do I need to know about digging straight down to find magma and doing a magma forge?

I have unlimited obsidian in my base

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

MikeJF posted:

This is why I get panicked at deciding on room arrangements. What if I decide to change it later because I was wrong and I have to put in walls I can't engrave!

Good news! Constructed walls and floors can now be engraved!

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

TipsyMcStagger posted:

I have 60 residents.

I'm short on lumber always as I'm deployed in a sparse tree biome. Can you plant new trees?

Otherwise, what do I need to know about digging straight down to find magma and doing a magma forge?

You can grow trees underground. But the Caverns are more dangerous than the surface, which is already dangerous. On your way down you'll pierce Cavern layers which may or may not have pathways down to further caverns below them. Eventually you'll start hitting warm stone and your dwarves won't automatically dig any further. There are many safe ways to tap into magma, mostly involving digging a channel from above into dug channel that has a fortification to stop critters as well as a magma safe flood gate linked with magma safe mechanisms in case you ever need to prevent further magma flow. There are many delicious treats in the Cavern layers and around the magma sea. These temptations are new, and you can think of them like playing minesweeper except each tile is a ? instead of a number. Fun!

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

M_Gargantua posted:

Huzzah!

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

M_Gargantua posted:

It's lifechanging!

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

TipsyMcStagger posted:

I have 60 residents.

Even sparse tree biomes will grow a ton of trees after a few years. My map went from two to covered.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
Yeah dwarves do bathe. If you have an underground well set up, notice that after a fight, sometimes you'll see blood spatters around it. Meaning they pull up a bucket and bathe right there in front of everyone. They don't give a gently caress. (Or maybe they do, I never checked their thoughts after the deed.) I imagine it's basically just dumping a bucket of water on themselves, clothes and all, and walking off back to work while soaking wet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
My king just showed up and called my place the new capital.

This is my second city I have no idea what’s going on :kingsley: