Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

drat Dirty Ape posted:

I work with a lot of vets and it does seem that generally the people who did the most badass difficult stuff are the least likely to mention it or give a poo poo about it except to tell funny stories about stuff that happened. The exception to this is upper management people, but I suppose once you spend enough time climbing ranks it becomes a huge part of your identity.

One of my "sisters" (Godmother's daughters) married a military lifer. He absolutely will not under any circumstances talk about his service, active or past, and the only thing we've gathered is that his official role is combat medic. We can only assume that he's some sort of special forces because that's all we've got.

The lesson here, if you served and you want people to think you were a badass, simply refuse to talk about anything that happened during your time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
I do not like Dabo and would like Clemson to lose in their bowl game

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."

Joey Freshwater posted:

I do not like Dabo and would like Clemson to lose in their bowl game

my man

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

back to Youth Pastor Swinney, you'll like this https://twitter.com/dayneyoung/status/1605673931662319630

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Oh my God that is absolutely spot on :stare:

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Lmao yeah it's really perfect.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

How did this goober win 2 titles

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

How did this goober win 2 titles
Don't at all mean this to sound like a snide retort, just my actual guess, is that talking like this is genuinely normal and popular with many Americans, maybe not a majority but a big enough chunk, and disproportionately so among the people you need to win over -- boosters, staff, recruits and especially their high school coaches -- to succeed at college football.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Don't forget recruits' parents.

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

You can see the poo poo eating grin on Dabo's face when he fields the question, I just hate it.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I dont feel like I ever really outgrew youth group. I get older, but God stays the same age.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Komet posted:

You can see the poo poo eating grin on Dabo's face when he fields the question, I just hate it.

He is so incredibly proud of himself there.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Don't at all mean this to sound like a snide retort, just my actual guess, is that talking like this is genuinely normal and popular with many Americans, maybe not a majority but a big enough chunk, and disproportionately so among the people you need to win over -- boosters, staff, recruits and especially their high school coaches -- to succeed at college football.

It's somewhere between 10% and 35% depending on where you are in the country. Hell I grew up in rural SW Virginia and it might've been a majority at that time.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

I played sports in the south and have mindlessly and monotonously repeated the Lords Prayer approximately 1 million times on school grounds because thats just fine and ok and the establishment clause doesnt apply down here.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

LeeMajors posted:

I played sports in the south and have mindlessly and monotonously repeated the Lords Prayer approximately 1 million times on school grounds because thats just fine and ok and the establishment clause doesnt apply down here.

FREEDOM OF RELIGION NOT FROM RELIGION

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Conversely, it is super unusual for a rural Northernerss like me. It isn't like we weren't really conservative either. I perceive it as a denominational division that follows ethnic lines.

Hell, my high school's entire coaching staff went to my church and so did a plurality of the players. The defensive coordinator did readings at Mass on Sunday. I asked my brother who played for them and the only time he remembers anyone praying was when someone got seriously injured during a game (ambulance and everything).

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

quote:

I was a glorified typist in the Marine Corps 95% of days, and the rest of the time I was sorta like a sophisticated cable TV installer but for fax machines.

Another Marine here (early 90s) and never had to really go to the field after MCT. I was a 0411 (Logistics) and spent all my time in front of a computer. The biggest mission of my Marine career was installing bootleg copies of Doom and some golf game on all the HQ computers for 1/6.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

e: gently caress, wrong thread

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Dec 23, 2022

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
One is a weird evangelical stronghold with a problem keeping women safe, and one is Baylor

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Georgia has landed RaRa Thomas and Dominic Lovett in the transfer portal. They were the receiving yards leaders for Missisippi State and Missouri.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Hoo buddy Carson Beck's gonna have some dudes to throw to.

just kidding UGA's gonna get a QB from the portal

just kidding it'll be Stetson again

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
Hope Lovett enjoys the competition, he's not gonna be top Dawg anymore. Pretty clear Georgia has the NIL game on lock since it wasn't about playing time or anything with his time at Mizzou

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Cthulu Carl posted:

My boss is ex-Navy and has no problem talking about the times he had to watch dudes pee for drug tests. Because it's funny.

We had a Sergeant in Germany who, when he got assigned urinalysis monitor duty (meatgazer), he got tested the day before the 100% unit-wide test so he knew it was coming. He wouldn't shave that morning.

So when someone had trouble getting a good stream going, he'd get uncomfortably close to you and then grind his unshaven chin into your neck.

Maxwells Demon
Jan 15, 2007

GD_American posted:

We had a Sergeant in Germany who, when he got assigned urinalysis monitor duty (meatgazer), he got tested the day before the 100% unit-wide test so he knew it was coming. He wouldn't shave that morning.

So when someone had trouble getting a good stream going, he'd get uncomfortably close to you and then grind his unshaven chin into your neck.

This seems like a really good tactic at getting peed upon.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Mike_V posted:

Hope Lovett enjoys the competition, he's not gonna be top Dawg anymore. Pretty clear Georgia has the NIL game on lock since it wasn't about playing time or anything with his time at Mizzou

I know one of them, cant remember who, is pretty much immediately going to slot into the X and go for it. Not that they won't be pushed, but we really don't have a good X receiver in the room. There is still this recruiting perception that we don't throw the ball, which like, hasn't really been true in 3 seasons, so getting top shelf receivers has been tough and our WR evals haven't been as good as other positions.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/PeteThamel/status/1606465949376315393

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
That could potentially be fun if he ever figures anything out. I'm not sure how much of Clemson's problems were the OC just expecting to out-talent everyone vs him being bad?

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

Former Clemson OC Tony Elliott has turned out to be a dogshit coach at UVA, so what exactly is it that has sustained Clemson's success over the years? I think it was the talent alone and not actually coaching or scheme.

Hopefully Clemson is regressing to their historical mean.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

I mean, Clemson had a run of incredible dual-threat QBs surrounded by a bunch of great skill players.

I hope DJ pulls a Bo Nix. Seems like people were terrible about his mental health issues with all the pressure.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Komet posted:

Former Clemson OC Tony Elliott has turned out to be a dogshit coach at UVA, so what exactly is it that has sustained Clemson's success over the years? I think it was the talent alone and not actually coaching or scheme.

Brent Venables plus a stretch where they had Deshaun Watson and Trevor Lawrence almost back to back.

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

Go win the Heimlich Trophy!

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Brent Venables plus a stretch where they had Deshaun Watson and Trevor Lawrence almost back to back.

Its this and their inability to develop receivers the last few classes. That offense doesnt work when guys cant execute their simple poo poo well.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

TheGreyGhost posted:

Its this and their inability to develop receivers the last few classes. That offense doesnt work when guys cant execute their simple poo poo well.

Dabo was a WR coach before his promotion lol

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Oregon St with a legit QB could make some real noise in the Pac next year

Time to see if DJ U is any good

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

YOLOsubmarine posted:

The Venables thing is wild because I remember OU fans being incandescently mad when he was their DC.

And I also know OU fans that were happy when he got hired back at OU.

And I also know OU fans about ready to literally blow their brains out after this season.

The Sooners are a land of contrasts.

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

🏆🏆🏆

Komet posted:

Well Dabo is a poo poo coach so :iiam:

That said our offense is kinda dated now, we run more RPO then anyone in the NCAA but defenses have figured out how to defend it.

lamentable dustman fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Dec 24, 2022

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

Go win the Heimlich Trophy!

lamentable dustman posted:

Well Dabo is a poo poo coach so :iiam:

That said our offense is kinda dated now, we run more RPO then anyone in the NCAA but defenses have figured out how to defend it.

I think the problem is just that the only way for it to work against a team that has similar talent is if theres some element (QB/RB) that makes that RPO dangerous enough that you HAVE to cheat it one way and create an initial option space. When I can gamble that DJ wont make a throw, thats a bet Ill take every day of the week. When I can gamble on him missing or the receivers having stone hands, even better. Theres nothing built in after that initial threat that in any way forces a choice past the initial move.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Maxwells Demon posted:

This seems like a really good tactic at getting peed upon.

I was forewarned so I did mine Butters-style, and we both were laughing too hard to worry about it.

He was one of two basically openly gay soldiers in the unit (this is during DADT), he got out and stayed in Germany, last I saw him he was working in the auto shop on base in Wuerzburg with flaming pink hair. He seemed like he was living his best life, I hope things worked out for him because we closed that base down a year later.

To college:

USA is still looking for their first bowl victory in program history. WKU absolutely turned the New Orleans Bowl into a horror show.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

Oregon St with a legit QB could make some real noise in the Pac next year

Time to see if DJ U is any good

Yeah it should be fun to watch, it's a run heavy offense so he shouldn't have to carry the load. Wish he'd gone to Hawaii though.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

DJU Bonix civil war should be content

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!