Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

The game doesn't give you all that much to keep track of at all but I'm having a hard time finding a good reason to not mod out durability.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

Nobody Interesting posted:

The game doesn't give you all that much to keep track of at all but I'm having a hard time finding a good reason to not mod out durability.

I guess "keep track of" is the wrong term. It's not like I have a hunger meter or anything (thank God). But I do feel like I'm kind of drowning in systems and numbers that were just sort of unceremoniously dumped on me all at once. Right now, I'm just choosing not to think about them.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Spergatory posted:

Oh my God, are you serious. There's weapon durability on top of the thousand other things this game expects you to keep track of?

You can mod out that lovely fun tax, I do. Any game that forces a durability system down my throat gets a hearty "gently caress you" from the modders trying to protect my enjoyment.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

Horace Kinch posted:

You can mod out that lovely fun tax, I do. Any game that forces a durability system down my throat gets a hearty "gently caress you" from the modders trying to protect my enjoyment.

PS5. :(

My feelings on weapon durability as a whole are a bit of a mixed bag, and heavily dependent on context. In a game like Breath of the Wild, it doesn't bother me that much, because that game showers you with weapons at every turn, and also offers you a myriad of other ways to kill things. In this game, my Silver Sword was wearing out. I have yet to find another silver weapon of any kind, and I have no idea how I'm meant to fight monsters without it, so I guess all quests are on pause until I can find a blacksmith... which... I don't seem to have found one anywhere in Velen, so I guess it's back to White Orchard?

Find a fast travel point, go to White Orchard, find the blacksmith, get my poo poo fixed, go back to the fast travel point, go back to Velen, and try to remember what I was doing before the game told me to stop having fun.

(That's another reason I don't mind BotW's system; no blacksmiths. Weapons can't be repaired. Just use them, and then go explore and find more. It reinforces the game's exploration rather than acting against it)

(that said I could still probably live without it)

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

You can also get weapon and armor repair kits so you can take care of it yourself on the road, but yeah I'm basically never going to be a fan of weapon durability as a system.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Trying out the new update, does the old mod manager still work? Alternatively does the new launcher allow you to set mod load order?

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Oh, hey, cool, a werewolf. Oh, sweet, it's regenerating faster than I can damage it and I have no idea what to do because monsters don't appear in your bestiary until you've killed one, and this is the first one I've encountered.

Game, you are trying my patience something fierce right now. I paid for you, I want to like you, but you are making. It. Difficult. :shepface:

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Getting this error when I launch the game now on Steam.

Error [content0]game\player\playerwitcher.ws(412): Could not find function 'GetToxicityOffset'

Not sure what to do short of uninstalling the game and retrying mods :sigh:

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
Is the werewolf associated with a quest? Usually when you get a contract for a monster you play detective a bit and get some information on how to beat it.

If you're at level 4 in Velen you're fresh out of the newbie zone and this is absolutely the hardest and most obnoxious part of the game. I suggest doing the main quest for a bit, I don't recall there being all that much combat for this portion of the main quest? Main quest is the way to get a ton of XP fast.

Once you get to, I dunno, level 10ish it'll be a lot easier. At level 4 you don't have any cool tools and as a newbie you have no clue how to deal with a lot of monsters. Random wolf packs will mulch you. Wraiths will be fairly frustrating until you figure out their (simple) gimmick.

IIRC you set werewolves on fire to stop their regen.

Eventually you'll get enough ability points to do some different stuff, some different flavor. But yeah level 4 fresh into Velen is frustrating and the combat is pretty boring sword slashing and basic signs. I won't argue with that.

edit: I would not try to fight a werewolf at your level

also, the Bloody Baron main questline in Velen is incredibly good. I recommend doing the main quest for a bit and if you're still frustrated after doing Bloody Baron for a while, well... :(

deadpan
Feb 2, 2004

Yeah one thing I noticed now that I'm replaying is that with the DLC installed the game offers up all the Witcher contracts from Heart of Stone as soon as you get to Velen, so there's some quests that expect you to be much higher level available right away.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
note that you will probably be some combination of sad, mad, frustrated and angry when you finish the Baron's questline but hopefully that's because of the writing and voice-acting and not because the game isn't clicking for you

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

You fight a werewolf for the Hillock quest. I think I had that bestiary unlocked from a book maybe? I can't remember. They are a lot easier once you find the correct oil to use.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
I do remember the werewolf who lived beneath the cabin being harder than anything else I'd fought up to that point, but the right combination of oils, bombs and abusing Quen got me through it

Velen is hosed in general because a level 15 quest will be ten feet from a level 5 quest...and then in the southeastern part of the map there's a bunch more level 5 quests that you will never reach before being over-leveled

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Wiltsghost posted:

You fight a werewolf for the Hillock quest. I think I had that bestiary unlocked from a book maybe? I can't remember. They are a lot easier once you find the correct oil to use.

I think that specific werewolf can bug out, it's the only werewolf I remember regenerating faster than I could damage it. The oil might very well not be enough, you'd need the silver dust bomb or dimeritium bombs to shut down the regen.

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Staltran posted:

I think that specific werewolf can bug out, it's the only werewolf I remember regenerating faster than I could damage it. The oil might very well not be enough, you'd need the silver dust bomb or dimeritium bombs to shut down the regen.

I did it last night. It was regenerating too fast until I used the oil. With the oil and igni he went down pretty quick.

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

Have they toned down Death March since the original? I remember everything feeling really spongey when I first tried it, especially something like the noon wraith or gryphon. This time though it felt like they went down in a reasonable time.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Wolfsheim posted:

I do remember the werewolf who lived beneath the cabin being harder than anything else I'd fought up to that point, but the right combination of oils, bombs and abusing Quen got me through it

Velen is hosed in general because a level 15 quest will be ten feet from a level 5 quest...and then in the southeastern part of the map there's a bunch more level 5 quests that you will never reach before being over-leveled

Yeah I think in my first playthrough I never even visited the southeastern corner at all, and if I did it was in my postgame wandering.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Getting this error when I launch the game now on Steam.

Error [content0]game\player\playerwitcher.ws(412): Could not find function 'GetToxicityOffset'

Not sure what to do short of uninstalling the game and retrying mods :sigh:

Any mod that affects the player's skills will cause this. For me it was the no skill restrictions. I don't think anyone's done a fix yet but this guy figured this out:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Witcher3/comments/zsoi29/new_change_to_toxicity_can_break_some_mods_that/

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Fighting almost everything in the game early on practically requires you to have that 'magic bullet' to reduce some obnoxious ability. You aren't really able to just out damage things to death until early mid-game.

If you're going to mod in anything you want auto-apply oils at least.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Any mod that affects the player's skills will cause this. For me it was the no skill restrictions. I don't think anyone's done a fix yet but this guy figured this out:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Witcher3/comments/zsoi29/new_change_to_toxicity_can_break_some_mods_that/

yeah it was the mod that turns skills into passives that was causing it, thankfully the mod was already updated :cheers:

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
My last playthrough I used the mod that takes away all the level scaling and it was much more enjoyable, can do any quest at any time, monsters are challenging because of their skillset not because they're higher level than you. Didn't miss the levels at all.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

From where I’m standing, Witcher 3 does a lot/almost all of the problems BOTW has, where weapon degradation is super restrictive and unfun, there’s a ton of time spent in menus, those menus specifically are loving terrible (everything about how to track down and make what you need for alchemy is just the worst poo poo in the world), the combat feels loose and simplistic and unfun as designed, the game is restricted by really stringent systems like stamina (in original release, it’s fine now) and fall damage and carrying capacity, a lot of time is spent on busywork like buff management et al…the difference between the two is The Witcher’s worldbuilding and storytelling is second to loving none and all of the issues I raised are worth tolerating to experience this game’s narrative (even the objective issues like how it crashes all the mother loving time now due to the new patch). Breath of the Wild’s systems only exist in service of itself because its storytelling is loving laughable.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Sure do love having my silver sword about to break in the middle of a mission even though I just repaired it! :thumbsup:

This screams to me of a kitchen sink game, where the devs just threw in every single mechanic, meter, and system without giving any thought as to how they would work together to affect the overall experience.

I mean, I didn't need to continuously convince myself to keep playing Breath of the Wild, so... :shrug:

Spergatory fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Dec 23, 2022

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

It’s not really that per se, it’s just a game where it’s not designed to be fun-first. Like, ostensibly in the narrative you’re supposed to be this extremely experienced badass Witcher who can kind of handle anything thrown at you at where you are in your narrative when the game begins, and yet you get your poo poo wrecked by like fuckin’ a single drowner and also you’re constantly broke and you die if you fall further than five feet straight down. Part of that can be attributed to the game trying to impress upon you the inherent danger of this world and make you live as Geralt, which the storytelling is remarkably effective at imparting, but a lot of it just feels like CD Projekt Red genuinely does not know how to make a game fun and not extremely tedious to deal with.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
The writing is definitely super good. I feel like every conversation is interesting, even with the little one-off NPCs. It's a great world that feels lived in. This might be one of the only cases I can think of where a game's writing is markedly better than the game that surrounds it. Sometimes they're on roughly the same level, but let's face it; usually it's the complete opposite.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Spergatory posted:

Sure do love having my silver sword about to break in the middle of a mission even though I just repaired it! :thumbsup:

This screams to me of a kitchen sink game, where the devs just threw in every single mechanic, meter, and system without giving any thought as to how they would work together to affect the overall experience.

I mean, I didn't need to continuously convince myself to keep playing Breath of the Wild, so... :shrug:

See I’m the exact opposite. I bounced off Breath of the Wild because of those complaints and more importantly because there’s just nothing besides its interlocking gameplay systems, which are either aggressively tedious, straight up bad, or boring for its own sake. Witcher 3 occupies the same spot as RDR2 to me where on paper basically everything about its gameplay is just no fun at all (exacerbated more by its legion of technical issues that have sprouted up around the new patch), but because and specifically it’s done in a game so in command of making you feel your character, and because the storytelling is second to none, I’m willing to put up with it gladly. RDR2 you are Arthur Morgan so it’s why every goddamn slow as poo poo skinning animation or the weirdly over inertia’d way he moves or the horribly restrictive stamina…it’s not GOOD but it has a purpose, right? Witcher 3 is like that. The only way you’re gonna be willing to tolerate the legions and legions of bullshit this game throws at you when it comes to actually playing it is if you fully buy in that you are Geralt and this is the life he leads. Otherwise everything about its gameplay systems, most of which are objectively poor if not outright unpleasant, is just gonna make you more pissed off.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
Comparing BotW weapon degradation to W3 is… something else.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

I have never found the recipe for Maribor Forest. I have already beaten this game twice. Will the third time be the charm?

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

RandolphCarter posted:

I have never found the recipe for Maribor Forest. I have already beaten this game twice. Will the third time be the charm?

I'm not sure I ever had either, but sure enough I actually just did on my current playthrough! I've already forgotten where I found it though

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I don't think I would change a single thing about Witcher 3.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

same. maybe I'd change movement to be a R* style where walking is the default movement and running requires a button, but other than that

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

I would like remakes of Witcher 1 & 2 but done in Witcher 3's style, because the first 2 games have aged like milk. Also I would include Saskia and Iorveth into Witcher 3 because they're both cool and good.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

They should do 3 in the style of 2 so the game is actually fun to play

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

cheesetriangles posted:

I don't think I would change a single thing about Witcher 3.

You could probably cut the entire crafting system and nobody would care.

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

I would, I love the crafting system It's great. I have impeccable taste too so you can be sure it's actually top notch

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

I'd love at least a remaster of 2, because the one time I played it everything about it felt really janky, and it'd be nice to not have to deal with a million loading screens just to go in and out of buildings.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I’d happily play a KOTOR-ified Witcher 3. Though I’d happily play a KOTOR-ified anything.

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

3700x 3080, RT (without reflections) High settings, DLSS balanced, 3440x1440

42+ FPS in cities
60FPS countryside

A bit of a bummer as I was hoping DLSS would pull more weight here.

Actively considering upgrading my box to a zen 4 but I'd haver to replace my board and cooler as well, on top of that I'd lose my windows licence. And even after that massive upgrades are not guaranteed.

I really hope they fix the core usage to stress more than just 2 cores. But that seems like one hell of an endeavor for something that isn't a new game. But they spent a lot of time on this update so one may hope..

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.

Gaius Marius posted:

They should do 3 in the style of 2 so the game is actually fun to play

utterly deranged opinion, 2 is just awful to play

For the guy above who is having such difficulty with the combat, what difficulty are you on? I don't think the combat in w3 is great but if you are on story mode you should not be having these issues imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?
I stumbled into some sort of Cyberpunk easter egg

Here's a closeup I took with ansel while Geralt was getting pummeled by invincible wraiths

Trying to find more info led me to this:

https://www.reddit.com/r/FF06B5/comments/zmlajv/im_convinced_i_found_a_major_development_based_on/

:tinfoil: