Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What best approximates your holiday experience?
This poll is closed.
A time of festivities with family and friends that reminds you of life and love 5 13.89%
A time of rumination and reflection as you consider your year and the next 4 11.11%
A time of quiet, cloudy depression where you fold yourself in shows and video games until it's over 17 47.22%
A time to smoke just so much god damned weed 10 27.78%
Total: 36 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

CommonShore posted:

I'd be ok if the rule was to post here but discuss there.

That seems like a good rule, so it streamlines the discussion but lets people get the firehose if they really want it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

CarlCX posted:

It's time for everyone's favorite holiday tradition: The second annual "there's no UFC for a month so aside from NYE we ain't got poo poo going on" end of the year community feedback loop.

2022 was a weird loving year, we've tried a number of experiments and I wanted to see how people felt about them/if we should do poo poo differently going into 2023. So, for anyone who cares between now and January 1st, the suggestion box is open. There are a few specific questions:

COMBINED UFC/B-LEAGUE THREADS: Last year's big change was combining the threads. Twelve months later, y'all still good with this or should we split them back up?

COMBINED UFC/B-LEAGUE GDTS: This summer we started doing catch-all GDTs when weeks or weekends had events across multiple promotions. Has that been working for people, or should we go back to separate GDTs?

MY ENDLESS WORD VOMIT: At the start of the year my breakdowns were ~2500 words and OPs had maybe two or three line items, and both have gradually expanded. Have we reached a point where the length of OPs and writeups is more annoying than interesting?

HIDDEN STEAM GIVEAWAYS: This one isn't really feedback, I think it's been at least half a year since anyone bothered with these and I'm putting them out of their misery starting in January, so if you already care enough to be putting in communal feedback in the first place let me know if you want a dumb video game as a last hurrah

and, finally

OKAY, BUT HOW ARE YOU DOING: This is where everything else goes. All general feedback, ideas, requests, thoughts and confessions of vicious forum grudges are welcome.

Congratulations on surviving 2022, thank you for your posting, and everyone who doesn't stay up until seven AM PST watching JMMA for New Year's Eve isn't a real MMA fan.

i like all the feds lumped into one thread

specific cards i prefer each to have their own thread

your thread ops could be longer

i do not use steam

im good

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CommonShore posted:

The origin of that thread is actually from the grappling thread where Gordon Ryan and his lovely views were generating more posts than the actual grappling. It's like, yeah, I see why it's relevant and I'll read about it, but can we go back to improving our hug based martial arts now please if not I'll just unbookmark

This. The grappling thread was mostly for technique discussion purposes. It became an all encompassing thread for combat sports mostly for the same reason. There's no intent to hide away someone's views but those sort of topics easily derail threads etc and nobody sane really cared or had an issue when the thread was created. It's meant to be a place for mocking and laughing at idiot fighters posting about non-fight related poo poo on social media is all.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
Here's a 20 minute breakdown of the Krause gambling stuff

https://youtu.be/oTcT1NKSdJI

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Can they not find someone else for Whittaker to fight in Perth?

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

COMBINED UFC/B-LEAGUE THREADS:
I wasn't a fan of this at first, but I actually quite enjoyed it because it gave me a reason to go back and watch some smaller orgs I might not have bothered to keep up with when parsing a thread. I haven't had any moments reading the combined ones where I've been bothered in the least by it.

COMBINED UFC/B-LEAGUE GDTS: Same as above

MY ENDLESS WORD VOMIT: I like to read them on my lunch breaks or break between gym and work, or if its on a weekend with my morning coffee while I wait for the card to start. I quite enjoy your write ups. If you're struggling with the effort and time it takes I would think there's probably some fights you could write a short couple of sentences with and save the deeper dives for the more important fights, even if they're fights you feel are more important. Your interest and passion shines through, so I'd hate to see that die off through burn out.

OKAY, BUT HOW ARE YOU DOING: ye good mate

kimbo305 posted:

Wrt thread overlaps, I wanted to bring up
The Dumb Combat People on Social Media Thread
It's only about a year old, so I'm not sure that the extent to which social media is separable from real life has changed any from then...

but -- I feel like it's inefficient to isolate fighters' viewpoints/beefs/stories from social media from the rest of our discussion.
There is a minority(?) of posters who prefer not to know or discuss figthers' political stances, and I understand that, but I also think it's inevitable, so we might as well.

As an example of how social media ties it all together:

This is the kind of thing where I want to get enough detail to know who's in the right, who's in the wrong. I saw the video -- Shields had Jackson mounted, and Jackson wasn't fighting back. I'm not sure he could have gotten out of a Shields mount even if he tried his hardest, but he was sitting there going "why is no one pulling this Nazi off of me? Really?"

Onto my point -- that assault was 4 days ago. Today, John Danaher posts:

That seems pretty cool in a bubble, but it's Danaher -- there's no way he doesn't understand the message of what he's posting. At the very least, you know he doesn't disqualify associating with Shields over all this.

In a better world, we could all just be making Diaz drinking airplane water making him fat jokes.

Not to defend shields in any way, but I honestly don't think Danaher thinks for more than 5 minutes about anything other than martial arts. The dude didn't even have a couch or TV in his house for a long time, he had a bed and grappling mats and would eat acai bowls watching jiu jitsu on his mats of a night.

CommonShore posted:

Imo the containment thread's function isn't so much to keep the news about fighters all positive, but rather to prevent the lovely news about fighters and associated derails from making the main thread into a bummer battleground. If we had posts here every time Jake Shields was terrible, we might as well rename it to be the Jake Shields thread. Not even Jake Shields deserves that fate.

The origin of that thread is actually from the grappling thread where Gordon Ryan and his lovely views were generating more posts than the actual grappling. It's like, yeah, I see why it's relevant and I'll read about it, but can we go back to improving our hug based martial arts now please if not I'll just unbookmark

I'd be ok if the rule was to post here but discuss there.

I think if someone has a full on meltdown that affects their standing in their org it's probably newsworthy, if someone doesn't vote the way people think they should I don't really care to hear a three page derail about it when I want to discuss in cage stuff.

Bucky Fullminster posted:

Can they not find someone else for Whittaker to fight in Perth?

Honestly? Probably not. It's 7 weeks away and here's your current top 10

Israel - out
Pereira - out
Whittaker -
Cannonier - just fought
Vettori - Booked
Brunson - Injured
Costa - welp
Strickland - just fought
Dolidze - Booked
Hermannson - Just got knocked out like 2 weeks ago
Du Plessis - just fought

Plus I would imagine anyone that's not locked into a fight camp already would be 100% in holiday mode being fat and happy and not likely to want to do a full training camp in 7 weeks somehow and drag their training partners and coaches away from their families to face the hardest match up not named Adesanya in the division.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!
Keep in mind that the Dumb Combat People on Social Media Thread was originally created because the grappling thread wanted to focus on talking about doing the actual grappling rather than dumb opinions/bigotry of other people who happen to be doing grappling. Nobody in the MMA thread is talking about being a mixed martial artist themselves or asking for technique advice, so it's kind of a different vibe here.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Brut posted:

Keep in mind that the Dumb Combat People on Social Media Thread was originally created because the grappling thread wanted to focus on talking about doing the actual grappling rather than dumb opinions/bigotry of other people who happen to be doing grappling. Nobody in the MMA thread is talking about being a mixed martial artist themselves or asking for technique advice, so it's kind of a different vibe here.

Yeah but also I don't give a gently caress that the guy that gets punched in the brain for money has bad opinions, I already expect it as their default state.

For the people that have fetishized making themselves miserable at all times, they can go to that thread and they can gorge themselves at the unending bad opinions buffet, there will be no shortages.

If a fighter manages to not be an idiot on social media, then that can be posted here.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

Lone Goat posted:

Yeah but also I don't give a gently caress that the guy that gets punched in the brain for money has bad opinions, I already expect it as their default state.

For the people that have fetishized making themselves miserable at all times, they can go to that thread and they can gorge themselves at the unending bad opinions buffet, there will be no shortages.

If a fighter manages to not be an idiot on social media, then that can be posted here.

I'm just saying it doesn't seem like this has been an actual issue in the MMA threads, I haven't seen people telling others to take it to that thread (maybe like once), and I don't think I've seen reports about it either. I don't really have a strong personal opinion on the matter though since I'm gonna end up reading that poo poo anyway.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Brut posted:

I'm just saying it doesn't seem like this has been an actual issue in the MMA threads, I haven't seen people telling others to take it to that thread (maybe like once), and I don't think I've seen reports about it either. I don't really have a strong personal opinion on the matter though since I'm gonna end up reading that poo poo anyway.

It tends to slop over into other threads though. People get weird and abusive over their little ideological tendencies.

Its not a problem for the most part but it can become one pretty quick. It's a cancer in a lot of forums.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!
Yeah if it gets wildly out of hand I'm sure I'll notice it, otherwise feel free to report any individual posts that you think are a problem, even if they don't specifically break an existing rule, you'll basically never catch poo poo for well-meaning reports here, so press the button more ya'll.

Kuno
Nov 4, 2008
I'm just a lurker so my opinion may not mean much, and I'm a bit late to boot but here goes.

1. Combined monthly thread - unequivocally positive.

2. Combined GDT threads - fine, most b league cards get so few posts that even if I don't care to read about them I can just start at page two and the thread is probably already halfway through UFC prelims.

3. Fight breakdowns - they are great but I do have to admit that the last couple I've looked at and thought, nah I ain't reading all that. I think the write ups were better when they were a bit more concise. Contrary to others though it's mostly the main events I feel this on, the midcard stuff is fine. Still a good and often entertaining resource though.

Shout-out to all the people who post in these threads for making somewhere on the internet I can read about MMA that isn't terrible.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Yeah we probably don't need a sustained rule like the IOSM or Chris Regal threads, just a broader guideline and a general agreement to move discussion there if it drags out into just gossiping about a fighter, and maybe to start there if it's more of a social media thing in the first place.

Also lurkers matter but they should turn themselves into posters.

Lucasar
Jan 25, 2005

save a few for lefty too

CommonShore posted:

Lol careful what you wish for.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

BlindSite posted:

It tends to slop over into other threads though. People get weird and abusive over their little ideological tendencies.

I think it does get vituperative, but at this point, it's not "little" ideological tendencies. Believing or disbelieving in vaccines, like Shields doesn't, isn't a little tendency.

BlindSite posted:

I honestly don't think Danaher thinks for more than 5 minutes about anything other than martial arts.
Then he must have known Shields was over at the UFC PI. Maybe he reviewed Shields takedown to mount after the video came out.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

CommonShore posted:

OmegaFartHuffer
Feb 23, 2022
Strickland is certainly insane enough to try to fight Whittaker right after that Cannonier snoozefest

Because id be auhhh fuckin uhhh workin at walmart if i werent fighting man uhh

ccubed
Jul 14, 2016

How's it hanging, brah?
Judge Douglas Crosby Responds to Criticism Regarding Controversial Scorecards

Some highlights:

quote:

“Over the last 15 years, when you talk to the fighters, the overarching comment – and I’m not going to call it a complaint, I’ll call it a comment or a concern, is that effective grappling is not given enough weight in the scoring criteria and recently, the scoring criteria has been modified and updated so that effective striking and effective grappling are considered equal,” Crosby said. “And if effective grappling is considered the equal of effective striking, and then you look at any of my scores through that newly ground mental lens, the scores may become easier to understand.

“But that has to do with reading and understanding the criteria and I don’t know who does that and who doesn’t. I do know that when I talk to fighters they are overwhelmingly intelligent and articulate and courageous and I respect them all, for better or worse, and that’s what moves me forward, is what’s best for the fighters not what’s best for the coaches or the media. For the fighters and any fighter knows that they can discuss anything with me in private at any time.”

quote:

“Anyone who criticizes people for working, you can probably look into the data of people who criticize working class people and find some commonalities,” Crosby said. “One of the commonalities you will probably find is that the people making those critiques are not members of the working class. Anybody involved in MMA who would criticize or complain about that, about doing what working class people do, has probably not been in the lobby of the hotel in a second tier city after at event at 2:45 in the morning after the restaurant in closed and since it’s a second tier city, there are no other restaurants. They’re sitting in the lobby of that hotel eating a power bar or a Slim Jim or whatever they found in their knapsack to eat, knowing that they’ve got to catch a 5 a.m. shuttle to the airport. I know how that feels because I’m in that lobby, too.

“I travel on those shuttles and I sit in those coach seats for the fighters and for the sport. You’d have to ask yourself, before you accept that as valid criticism, I would qualify the source of that criticism and say is this a working class person making that critique or is it a fabulously wealthy person making that critique? You’d have to assign a value to the criticism based upon the person doing the criticizing.”

Good job making me hate Doug Crosby even more Doug Crosby.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
His best quote is that he only has 10 seconds at the conclusion of a round to determine who won and write that down. Instead of watching the round and figuring out who is winning as the fight plays out. Nope, impossible. Watch for 5 minutes, replay all the action in your brain, and assess a winner before the commission person comes by to take your scrap of paper

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

ccubed posted:

Some highlights:

The 1% are just lighting up the comments against me!

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
didn't know that fighters don't count as working class in the eyes of judge Doug Crosby

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

ccubed posted:

Some highlights:

Holy gently caress what an rear end in a top hat.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Oh no, we've been found out as ultrawealthy aristocrats, pull the Rolls around back so we can get away before Doug Crosby catches us, we'll start over again in Lethwei

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
I read all the words and found all the secrets and think the words are good. Thank you for writing all of the words Carl because otherwise I would be lost when it comes to a lot of fights.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

I love how he pretends that it's somehow his responsibility to decide what the meaning of effective grappling is lmao

quote:

Successful execution of takedowns, submission attempts, reversals and the achievement of advantageous positions that produce immediate or cumulative impact with the potential to contribute to the end of the match, with the IMMEDIATE weighing more heavily than the cumulative impact. It shall be noted that a successful takedown is not merely a changing of position, but the establishment of an attack from the use of the takedown. Top and bottom position fighters are assessed more on the impactful/effective result of their actions, more so than their position.

:hmmno:

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!
Just loving say the first 10 fights were finishes and you were feeling sleepy cuz you had nothing to do, gently caress.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
lol, lmao

https://twitter.com/A_S12/status/1605729954179735552

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

So if you include the ESPN+ subscription and get it at its cheapest option--the $100 annual plan--at the current rate of 13 PPVs a year, twelve months of UFC now costs $1,140.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud
Discord is free, just saying

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

CarlCX posted:

So if you include the ESPN+ subscription and get it at its cheapest option--the $100 annual plan--at the current rate of 13 PPVs a year, twelve months of UFC now costs $1,140.

Fake snow isn't cheap

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

ccubed posted:

Some highlights:

if the working class worked like most MMA judges, buildings would fall down

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Shout out to 2006 Dave Meltzer dropping “they talked to me about working Coleman/Takada months before the fight” in a random WON forums post
https://twitter.com/downwiththesim/status/1605995571163955200

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

https://twitter.com/DamonMartin/status/1606022851496124421
Now I am not a Deron Winn fan, exactly, but going from 'you have a fight booked' to 'you injured yourself cutting weight and are not getting your show money' to 'you are fired three days before Christmas' is a hell of a thing

mewse
May 2, 2006

CarlCX posted:

Now I am not a Deron Winn fan, exactly, but going from 'you have a fight booked' to 'you injured yourself cutting weight and are not getting your show money' to 'you are fired three days before Christmas' is a hell of a thing

Maybe there's some way the athletes could join together and prevent things like this from happening

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

I have posted in a couple threads but if anyone is interested in a good IPTV service PM me. I just paid 150 for the year, which I split with the fam. I get 4 connections for the year. Over 20,000 channels, really any live sport.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

mewse posted:

Maybe there's some way the athletes could join together and prevent things like this from happening

That's unAmerican

Nothing But Hate
Oct 7, 2006
When night falls, she covers the world, in impenetrable darkness
Apparently Kai Kara France isn’t fighting in Perth due to injury. 284’s starting to feel a bit cursed

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

CarlCX posted:

https://twitter.com/DamonMartin/status/1606022851496124421

Smdh PI not offering wheelchair service for athletes.

delightful
Jul 20, 2022
I wouldn't mind paying for UFC if it wasn't so damned expensive. Without linking to any :files:, I hate the streaming sites. Just non-stop nazi comments kills my buzz for good cards. I hate that my options are: overpay for mediocre quality or immerse myself in the absolute worst of humanity. Why are so many MMA fans the most racist pieces of poo poo you've ever seen? (This is rhetorical)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

delightful posted:

I wouldn't mind paying for UFC if it wasn't so damned expensive. Without linking to any :files:, I hate the streaming sites. Just non-stop nazi comments kills my buzz for good cards. I hate that my options are: overpay for mediocre quality or immerse myself in the absolute worst of humanity. Why are so many MMA fans the most racist pieces of poo poo you've ever seen? (This is rhetorical)

Just maximize the video and ignore the chat?