Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001

jeffreyw posted:

Speaking of Musk’s transphobia, Graham Linehan is back on Twitter because of course he is.

This is a dude that doxxes and harasses women(primarily trans women) online. Women have gone to the police because of his abuse on Twitter. He was a very successful UK TV writer, I might be underselling that a bit he co-created some of the highest regarded UK sitcoms of all time, and can't get a job because he harasses women online. His wife left him because he harasses women online all day and night. He was was rightly banned on Twitter because he does nothing but harasses women on Twitter. And now he is back on Twitter and declaring 2023 as the year to harasses women online. That will get advertisers back Elon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

frumpykvetchbot posted:

with lidars and radars the car would have had a far better integrated picture of the scene. I wouldn't get into a "FSD" test in a vehicle that didn't have at least lidar. The tesla 3 series initially shipped with radars. But not anymore. Big brain musk deleted all sensors other than the cameras and declared that they would be enough for FSD. Tesla invested substantially in realistic simulation of what the cameras see in different situations so as to feed scenarios to the AI training work, but cameras are often just blinded by adverse lighting conditions or covered in dirt.

Hold up. Teslas only use cameras for detection? And you're supposed to let it control itself? How does it even stay on the road in low/no light conditions?

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.

kilus aof posted:

This is a dude that doxxes and harasses women(primarily trans women) online. Women have gone to the police because of his abuse on Twitter. He was a very successful UK TV writer, I might be underselling that a bit he co-created some of the highest regarded UK sitcoms of all time, and can't get a job because he harasses women online. His wife left him because he harasses women online all day and night. He was was rightly banned on Twitter because he does nothing but harasses women on Twitter. And now he is back on Twitter and declaring 2023 as the year to harasses women online. That will get advertisers back Elon.

Well that's ruined a bunch of my favourite shows

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Non Compos Mentis posted:

https://twitter.com/williamlegate/status/1606063438987345920

First its bots, now its click farms, soon it will be his staff working against him
He has staff??

Tippecanoe
Jan 26, 2011

Kingo Ligma posted:

For what it's worth Father Ted was also made by Arthur Mathews, who went on to make Toast of London. It seems like he might've been the funny one.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Non Compos Mentis posted:

https://twitter.com/williamlegate/status/1606063438987345920

First its bots, now its click farms, soon it will be his staff working against him

I don't think bots are made that way.

Is more probably that are just a single script running in a server, sending web requests. The receiving server of these request don't know if the originator is a real phone or what.

If thats not possible because closed protocol and really is required to have a full phone. It makes more sense to have a thin android emulator layer, and emulate hundreds of machines in a single server.

Real phones would be a hassle. Get hot, consume a lot of energy, ocuppy real space, and will probably burn after X hours.

I don't think "warehouses filled with phones" is a real thing, more like how a poweruser *spits* imagine it.

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
Nah click farms with real phones are 100% real. You can buy specialized equipment for them off alibaba or whatever. There's a foone thread somewhere where they found some but I doubt I could find it even if I wanted to

Tippecanoe
Jan 26, 2011

Tei posted:

Is more probably that are just a single script running in a server, sending web requests. The receiving server of these request don't know if the originator is a real phone or what.

If thats not possible because closed protocol and really is required to have a full phone. It makes more sense to have a thin android emulator layer, and emulate hundreds of machines in a single server.

Real phones would be a hassle. Get hot, consume a lot of energy, ocuppy real space, and will probably burn after X hours.

I don't think "warehouses filled with phones" is a real thing, more like how a poweruser *spits* imagine it.

Before the 2016 American election the news broke that Russia was employing groups of people to post pro-Russia social media posts, which were referred to as "Russian Bot Farms" for whatever reason, and it's been suggested they had a hand in Trump winning the election. Since this has happened the American Right has glommed onto this expression as they are wont to do and accuse any unfavourable opinion as coming from a bot. You can generally ignore right-wingers when they talk about bots because it means they are making stuff up.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Re kim dotcom: you have to remember he's genuinely a big time criminal whos always looking for his next grift to make money. Currently, like all good law firms, hes trying to convince elon to pay him unlimited money to run with a patently unwinnable case which will drag on for 7 years.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Machai posted:

Hold up. Teslas only use cameras for detection? And you're supposed to let it control itself? How does it even stay on the road in low/no light conditions?

If I remember correctly, this was sold by Musk as “humans only use their eyes, and we want the car to drive like a human does, therefore radar and LiDAR are only used by companies as a workaround for the fact their cars aren’t as good”

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

"You'll never know if you can fly unless you take the risk of falling."
https://www.irishmirror.ie/showbiz/father-ted-creator-sobs-bbc-26572171

I can't stop laughing if this is true.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape

Machai posted:

The AI does it , stop your musk derangement syndrome

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Kingo Ligma posted:

Black Books is also largely Dylan Moran.

Kim DotCom also started Mega.co.nz , but I think he's left?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Drone_Fragger posted:

Re kim dotcom: you have to remember he's genuinely a big time criminal whos always looking for his next grift to make money. Currently, like all good law firms, hes trying to convince elon to pay him unlimited money to run with a patently unwinnable case which will drag on for 7 years.

Has he even done anything other than 1) run a warez site that got forcibly closed down 10 years ago 2) look like an ugly egg?

Why are people boosting this washed up nobody

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001

Apart from him blaming others for his actions it is true. He just wouldn't stop posting(harassment). Even when his friends and wife begged him to stop he just couldn't. It's actually very common with transphobes with them going off the deep end and their friends and family asking them to stop.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

The Saddest Rhino posted:

bringing back graham linehan so he can be the second most divorced man on twitter is a power move

Add Adam Carolla for a divorce power trio

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

lol the article is all about him pissing and moaning about all it's literally anyone else's fault.

being "cancelled" didn't cause your wife to leave you and your friends to disown you, being a dumb chud did.
loving hate this stupid poo poo "cancelled" is just a catch-phrase for people who play stupid games and get their stupid prize
telling you you suck is part of free speech, loser.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Kingo Ligma posted:

The one good thing about glinner being allowed back is all the people who weren’t aware of what a loser he’s become now learning it.

ThePariah
Feb 10, 2014

Heartwarming: The Worst Person You Know Lost Everything

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Reddit's objectively awful but /r/ElonJetTracker is alright

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Tippecanoe posted:

Before the 2016 American election the news broke that Russia was employing groups of people to post pro-Russia social media posts, which were referred to as "Russian Bot Farms" for whatever reason, and it's been suggested they had a hand in Trump winning the election. Since this has happened the American Right has glommed onto this expression as they are wont to do and accuse any unfavourable opinion as coming from a bot. You can generally ignore right-wingers when they talk about bots because it means they are making stuff up.

I was gonna say I've mostly seen this from Biden dems, but I guess they are right wingers too.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Sandweed posted:

I was gonna say I've mostly seen this from Biden dems, but I guess they are right wingers too.

Just boomers in general seem to have problems grasping this

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

Machai posted:

That's the beauty of it. They don't do anything.

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

Sir, I'm going to need to see your ticket.

Tei posted:

I know it sounds ridiculous, but it's 100% a real thing, though it tends to be fairly targeted. You wouldn't generally use a real device bot farm for skewing a Twitter poll, but instead for things like fake signups and click fraud.

https://www.vice.com/en/article/43yqdd/look-at-this-massive-click-fraud-farm-that-was-just-busted-in-thailand

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Noxville posted:

The one good thing about glinner being allowed back is all the people who weren’t aware of what a loser he’s become now learning it.

How pathetic it must be to go begging for support on mumsnet, of all places, about how youre the one true defender of womens rights and then getting told to gently caress off because its a women only safe space.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Yeah I remember when those weird inappropriate youtube channels for kids started getting popular it certainly looked like they were getting their views/comments inflated.

And I'm not talking about the low quality nursery rhyme channels you see today but like the pregnant elsas wrestling with spiderman and the joker stuff.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

PinheadSlim posted:

Rofl real life tony stark indeed

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

steinrokkan posted:

Has he even done anything other than 1) run a warez site that got forcibly closed down 10 years ago 2) look like an ugly egg?

Why are people boosting this washed up nobody

Same thing all alt right grifters do, scream about free speech, being cancelled and demanding small government (so they cant investigate his many crimes)

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.
Guy spends 44bn on a company where 89% of revenue comes from digital advertising, doesn't know the difference between views and impressions, someone had to tell him

Also that poo poo was always available to digital marketers via dashboards anyway, so surfacing it to everyone's timeline is just pointless masturbation

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010

MrQwerty posted:

Rofl real life tony stark indeed

I imagine Musk has a big machine like Tony Stark but instead of slapping on Stark's Iron Man suit, it attaches his hair plugs and girdle.

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

"You'll never know if you can fly unless you take the risk of falling."

Oh, oh no.

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
One of the weird things about "start up" culture. Is the idea you have to move fast, and one way to move fast is to make decisions. Imagine layers of management and bureaucracy that prevent decisions being made.

Now the benifit to good management and bureaucracy is that it can give an organization something called "institutional knowledge" meaning its hard for new people to gently caress poo poo up and when people leave the organization it can still function aka bob is the only guy who knew how poo poo worked!

I remember reading some thing over years ago where elon said "you have a 50/50 chance of making the right call" is you make the wrong call you can go back and fix it, so you just need to make decisions fast.

The only example where I ve seen this play out well is spaceX. Elon said "lets land on a boat" and in a mater of mouths they had a boat. While Nasa would still be having having meetings about if they should buy a boat.

The changing poo poo at telsa with lidar and ultrasonic sensors etc have elons hand prints all over them. And I m honestly curious, they have a feel of drivers creating a huuge ever growing data set to train an AI system on.

okay bring it back to twitter.

Twitter is a mature company, they already developed the platform. The need for speed isnt gonna work as well, and its clear what ever he though he could do with twitter was just talk to sell stock.

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.

Tei posted:

Both exist!

The kind of spam and abuse that is often referred to as "bot" activity comes from diverse sources. Some of it is fully automated, as you illustrated. But some of it really does come from groups of machines run by human operators.

Each method has its own advanges. I'll share a few examples.

Automated:
- Cheap
- Scales well
- Can be operated remotely
- Does not require the logistical hassle of maintaining a bunch of machines
- Very few human operators required (maybe just a single person!)

Real machines:
- Activity looks more "real", can be harder to detect
- Requires less programming and sysadmin skill
- There are places where phones and labor are actually quite cheap
- Leaves room for human input, creativity

Both methods get used because each has its own advantages. For example, if you just want to crank out large numbers of identical posts containing a link to some product where you get a cut of every sale, the automated solution is probably your most cost effective option.

But if you want to try to stir up political controversy, having humans who can respond quickly to the latest headlines with bespoke messages, and can argue with other posters, etc., is much better. You'll want a proper troll farm full of humans for that.

There's also considerations with respect to having your operation detected and shut down. Every spam method gives off signals which a good Trust & Safety team at places like Twitter (... before it was gutted) will be looking for. Often - but not always - fully automated spam operations are easier to detect. Real groups of humans aren't all running the exact same kind of computer, and logging in from the same IP, and posting identical text within milliseconds of each other - to give a trivial example.

Anyway, it's all very interesting if you're the right kind of computer security nerd. Don't underestimate the spammers, they're highly motivated (it can be lucrative) and they're smart / creative. They'll try anything, even mounting a hundred phones on a rack for some person in a third world country to use mechanical turk style.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

PinheadSlim posted:

Don't think I ever seen Elon wear a shirt and jacket.
Always moob town.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

They'll try anything, even mounting a hundred phones on a rack for some person in a third world country to use mechanical turk style.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Alan Smithee posted:

don't twitter embeds basically leech from Twitter making them spend more money?

I like to think that's SA's dead gay way of doing their party

I'm not sure about that, if embeds weren't helping Twitter somehow then they wouldn't have spent time facilitating them, right?

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Ups_rail posted:

The changing poo poo at telsa with lidar and ultrasonic sensors etc have elons hand prints all over them. And I m honestly curious, they have a feel of drivers creating a huuge ever growing data set to train an AI system on.

IIRC their Lidar partner pulled out (unlike Elon lmao gotem) because the stuff Tesla was doing with full self driving was so dangerous they feared getting caught up in a lawsuit.

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001

QuarkJets posted:

I'm not sure about that, if embeds weren't helping Twitter somehow then they wouldn't have spent time facilitating them, right?

Embeds feed users into Twitter. Person clicks on the embed goes to Twitter and a whole heap of systems are there to keep the user on Twitter, notifications, the trending feed and whatever. News sites used to be all about embed Twitters because it was cheap to write a story around them. Now days they don't do that so much and just quote the Tweets because the embeds were getting users to leave the news site and go on Twitter.

The Alchemist
Dec 12, 2010

koshmar posted:

This is almost literally the plot of a Stephen King book. Except everyone turns into a zombie

Which one is this? Sleeping Beauties?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

The Alchemist posted:

Which one is this? Sleeping Beauties?

Cell