Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
There's a 4x setting for the animations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
RIP Thea 2, the studio got forced to drop you so they could work on Master of Magic, and I'm hoping the game does better than this thread is making it sound because otherwise I don't think they'll be around anymore to return to a Thea game.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

This is a bit of a reach, but are there any 4x games that de-emphasize expansion in favor of internal consolidation and development? I'm thinking along the lines of how Civ games saw increasingly huge and sprawling empires until one of them (V or VI, I think) completely flipped the script and encouraged you to maintain a small number of cities but upgrade the gently caress out of them.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Omi no Kami posted:

This is a bit of a reach, but are there any 4x games that de-emphasize expansion in favor of internal consolidation and development? I'm thinking along the lines of how Civ games saw increasingly huge and sprawling empires until one of them (V or VI, I think) completely flipped the script and encouraged you to maintain a small number of cities but upgrade the gently caress out of them.

A few oddball suggestions here, none being traditional 4X.

Star Ruler 2 has you do a sprawl in order to extract resources for heavy internal development through extremely lengthy resource chains. Slipways does the same but without enemies.

Definitely not 4X, but Victoria 3 does that for the grand strategy genre.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Stellaris has builds that encourage 1 system games. Megacorps I think?

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Not one system, but MegaCorps have some incentive to stay smaller (but not enough to generally do so). Stellaris in general can be played taller in a couple of ways, especially if you use vassals and/or mods, but I wouldn't say it necessarily encourages it. Helps a lot now that planetary automation is pretty solid.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
Any opinions on Theocracy? Came out the end of last month, has all of four steam reviews. Seems like a solid little $7 one-man 4x.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/2195530/Theocracy/
http://www.atlantis-workshop.com/

Edit: grabbed it, gave it a test spin, probably going to do a mini-write up.

LordSloth fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Dec 21, 2022

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I don't know what thread this goes in. Management? Weird?

https://store.steampowered.com/app/659540/Warsim_The_Realm_of_Aslona/

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Theocracy: it’s kind of like Civ, but what if the focus was the religious/cultural flipping of cities? Cities that already exist- there’s no settlers, but you can create fairly pricy buildings in.

Armies are a tool of conquest but not the ideal one. They cause destruction to the city, and to the faith of other religions, but a miracle, pagans, or religious pressure can flip it right back. Defense from terrain is pretty strong while healing only happens near cities. Montezuma is slightly weak when the pagans (raging barbarians and faithless cities) outnumber you drastically.

Interesting little game, with decent in-game help, but the tutorial tips are way too drat much and persistent to take in. There are practically no tool-tips for much of the interface. So I’ll need to RTFM and really understand what’s going on under the hood.

Gets a reluctant recommendation, since I’m uncertain of everything going on, but it’s not like Shadow Empire or anything like that. I’ve managed to take most of North America and have a general idea what’s going on. I just don’t know enough to see if there’s depth yet.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
If you could play it multiplayer or on your phone people would already be raving about it. As is the AI was a little too passive about hunting down holy mountains. But that might of been a consequence of all the AI starting in matched pairs. While my Tibet got India/China practically without seeing any clubmen. The edicts that give you bonus range on your faith should probably have a more negative tradeoff... or at least get prioritized more by the AI.

Seconded on the desire for a "tutorial tips gently caress off," button that isn't halfway into the tutorial tips. At least it told me that the game isn't kidding about the end of the research tree being a nonstandard game over. Still don't know what loyalty does.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

habituallyred posted:

If you could play it multiplayer or on your phone people would already be raving about it. As is the AI was a little too passive about hunting down holy mountains. But that might of been a consequence of all the AI starting in matched pairs. While my Tibet got India/China practically without seeing any clubmen. The edicts that give you bonus range on your faith should probably have a more negative tradeoff... or at least get prioritized more by the AI.

Seconded on the desire for a "tutorial tips gently caress off," button that isn't halfway into the tutorial tips. At least it told me that the game isn't kidding about the end of the research tree being a nonstandard game over. Still don't know what loyalty does.

Late game you start having to make decisions like:
The Council of Nicaea demands Easter follows Roman customs instead of Jewish practices. This will reduce your faith generation by 8% if you agree. If you disagree the city of Nicaea will have a thirty percent chance to spawn a rebel army and thirty percent will convert to this heretical branch faith. Loyalty has reduced this by 10%.

See also leavened vs unleavened bread in 1054.

Honestly I’m not sure the AI is all that passive about hunting down mountains- the pagans are just sometimes raging assholes spawning monsters and traveling overseas.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Played a second game on a non earth map that was much less interesting. Not sure how to break fortified sites on hills and such. Just wave after wave of riflemen failing to do much and having to fall back. And finally got some of those events. In game one I decided not to gently caress around with getting between Islam and Christianity.

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.
Anyone play Fantasy General 2? how does it compare to Fall from Heaven?

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

King Doom posted:

It's fairly generic "vikings of the north" stuff for backstory and most of the scenarios are puzzles. Not really comparable to FfH at all as it's not a 4X.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

King Doom posted:

I love it but it can cause a fair deal of brain burn if you spend too much effort trying to figure out the best way to maximize unit xp and auras. It is a hex based war game, not a 4x.

It does the thing from mom where units will have different model counts which can dramatically change how they perform.

Troll rock hurlers do a small amount of damage to every model in a unit so they can eventually just delete large count units. Other units get bonus damage when you set up forest ambushes. Ranged units provide defensive fire when adjacent units are attacked. Skirmishers inflict damage before heavy infantry attack them and avoid retaliation on the offensive. There is a lot going on and a fair number of valid ways to build your army.

Make sure you pick up some magic damage or curse if you play the original campaign. It has a lot of an enemy type that takes half damage from physical attacks. Curse can negate their damage reduction while magic bypasses it.

Edit: I guess it could be described as a puzzle but not really more so than any other strategy game in my experience.

KPC_Mammon fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Dec 25, 2022

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

I'm really enjoying the master of magic remake. It's not perfect, by any means, but I had rose tinted glasses on with the original and I'm appreciating things like no memory leaks or spells that crash the game like in the DOS one. The only flaws in it are no multiplayer, the animation feeling floaty, and visual feedback being off-time in combat. The games can be ridiculously long so I'm mostly playing on tiny maps. It suffers from the usual 4x games with the late game being a slog, but The Spell of Mastery kicks in at about the right time to fix that. All the crazy spells from the original still work like they did in the original, like using cracks call to kill the enemy heroes in the first turn of combat. The micromanagement, however, feels perfect to me with how simple and enjoyable it is. The artwork and new soundtrack has grown on me and I'm starting to appreciate it more for having a mature feel to it... With one exception: the spinning portal animation loading screen for combat looks cheap. They should rework it so it doesn't look like a flat rotating disc.

I've also realized now that I've been spoiled by Caster of Magic's game customization options and having a plethora of cpu wizard's instead of five. I really hope that comes down the dlc pipeline.

Heck I wouldn't mind them going crazy with dlc and trying out new things.

Entorwellian fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Jan 2, 2023

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

I can’t seem to find an answer for this seemingly simple question, but in Distant Worlds 2, what influence does ship maintenance have on anything? If I run the maintenance spending at 75%, does that make my shops 75% slower/weaker?

EDIT: I think I get it, though there doesn't seem an easily findable and complete explanation. The gist is on the spending screen you are really setting a limit on the total maintenance spending, and not an efficiency factor. The maintenance costs are fixed and efficiency of every ship is always 100% (at least not taking damage into account, that might impact efficiency), but if you somehow cross the maintenance cap set in the spending screen, it'll just scrap the ships that went above it.

Mokotow fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Jan 7, 2023

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
I bought Endless Legend ages ago in a sale but never really got around to playing it, does it still hold up nowadays? Are there any recommended mods or anything, or should I just play it as it is for my first game? Also, have there been any significantly better fantasy 4X games since it came out, I haven't kept up with the genre much.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Inadequately posted:

I bought Endless Legend ages ago in a sale but never really got around to playing it, does it still hold up nowadays? Are there any recommended mods or anything, or should I just play it as it is for my first game? Also, have there been any significantly better fantasy 4X games since it came out, I haven't kept up with the genre much.

I would suggest playing the game as-is your first couple of tries. Eventually you're gonna need the Endless Legend Community Patch, otherwise the AI doesn't know what to do, and will just mill around aimlessly. With the ELCP, the AI can get extremely bloodthirsty, and certain races will beeline for you to end the game as fast as possible - but without it, you're practically playing a solo game.

E:

EL has the same issues as any 4X. Taking down your neighbour ASAP puts you so far ahead of the AI, that it has no chance of recovering. You'll be building the same row of stuff over and over again in every town you make or take, but at least each faction has some unique mechanics and stuff they can play around with. Doing missions for neutrals can be fun, and EL generally has a lot going for it, lots of things to do.

THE BAR fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Jan 9, 2023

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Endless Legend (and Space) does storytelling in a 4X game pretty well when most other games don't even bother.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Jack Trades posted:

Endless Legend (and Space) does storytelling in a 4X game pretty well when most other games don't even bother.

Oh yes, and each faction has a very unique perspective on what's going on with the plot and how to deal with it.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
It's probably the best effort at that since SMAC.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I want more 4X games with built in story like that.

I wish Alpha Centauri didn't have such incredibly archaic UI.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
I liked everything about endless legend besides the combat, I got quite a few dlcs even.

If you have it auto resolve a battle you would lose a battle you could win manually with minimal effort.

If you do manual battles it becomes pretty tedious imo.

I haven't tried any mods though, I wonder if those would help.

The rest of the game is neat, I just couldn't care about the combat for some reason.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Quaint Quail Quilt posted:

If you have it auto resolve a battle you would lose a battle you could win manually with minimal effort.

This shits me up about all the Endless games + Planetfall. Combat gets boring as poo poo in Civ at a certain point and that's literally like 2 clicks a fight, I don't wanna loving play a card game or xcom battle every fight or lose poo poo that should be a slam dunk. :mad:

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
This is why Endless Space, the original, had the best 4x combat system in forever. Which is to say it was almost indistinguishable from autoresolved combat in both effort and result.

Everyone panned it because they couldn't get wicked sick outplays on the idiot AI for free.

You could still exploit the poo poo out of the AI, mind you, but you had to do it with strategic understanding of the game systems. I guess that was just too much effort for people though.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Corbeau posted:

This is why Endless Space, the original, had the best 4x combat system in forever.

Second best, first is Shadow Empire, which is in a tier of its own.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

hard agree Shadow Empire is GOAT

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
How's the AI in Shadow Empire? I already have Dominions if I really want a far-too-complicated multiplayer strategy game.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Corbeau posted:

How's the AI in Shadow Empire? I already have Dominions if I really want a far-too-complicated multiplayer strategy game.

It's good imo but it cheats a lot. It ignores entire mechanics. This kills the game for some people. Depends on your tolerance for that kind of thing.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
that's cool I'll just cheat too :evilbuddy:

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Brendan Rodgers posted:

It's good imo but it cheats a lot. It ignores entire mechanics. This kills the game for some people. Depends on your tolerance for that kind of thing.

To me it depends on transparency. I don't have a problem with AI War, but if say I'm playing a game about cutting enemy logistics and then it turns out the enemy ignores logistics, well then what am I even doing?

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
I’ll skim the changelogs when I get a minute. I know at some point, maybe still, the AI got to build roads for free in order to make up for shortfalls elsewhere. I haven’t played in ~6mo but I believe the AI also still won’t build planes but will overcompensate by building too many AA guns.

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

Pirate Radar posted:

I’ll skim the changelogs when I get a minute. I know at some point, maybe still, the AI got to build roads for free in order to make up for shortfalls elsewhere. I haven’t played in ~6mo but I believe the AI also still won’t build planes but will overcompensate by building too many AA guns.

If playing against AI, just turn air forces off. You'll get a better challenge.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Gonna take another look at shadow empires again.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

This just dropped: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1581770/SpellForce_Conquest_of_Eo/

It's not strictly a 4x, I think it feels more like an adventure/rpg/wargame hybrid with a focus on tactical combat and some pretty interesting building and upgrading mechanics (notably, your main 'town' is a floating mage tower you can move around the land to extract resources). Your apprentices build small towns to gather more, and there's a whole tower upgrade system for more economy as well as a crafting system and master of magic-esque spellcasting.

I haven't played long enough to really give a firm opinion, but so far, polished, good translation, clean ui, and I like a lot of the mechanics they have going on here. Tons of units, unit upgrades, equipment, enchantments, abilities, etcetcetc.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Played about an hour and yeah, so far so good. It's kind of a narrative-focused Age of Wonders.

Also will reiterate that it seems very polished technically and the writing is quite good. Also native (full) controller support.

Also it's like $20 from GMG or $24 on Steam. Seems like a very easy recommend for fans of the AoW/MoM/HOMM-likes.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Yep, the writing quality is quite good, and the 2d art is killer

Unless I run into something really bad I think this is a slam dunk for fans of its antecedents, particularly given the price

e: I think I'd recommend bumping up the difficulty a notch or two if you're a vet

victrix fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Feb 4, 2023

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
Also picked up spell force, enjoying it so far still after 4 hours though I did restart after figuring out the early game flow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Do you always start with goblins as your recruitables in Spellforce: Conquest of Eo? I go Artificer but am very doubtful about investing crafting resources into these chucklefucks considering how fragile they are, unless I really am meant to boost their health to acceptable levels by spamming health glyphs.