Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Zamujasa posted:

This is one of those funny statistics where I'd like to see it compared based on the military budget, too. Using the 2021 values:

$705 billion x 5% ≈ $35 billion, which is about half of the $66 billion given for the Russian budget.

Sounds a lot less impressive to say "we spent half of Russia's budget to destroy half of Russia's power", though. :v:

Without statistics you can just point out we contributed to Russia being unable to successfully invade a country they border without losing any US troops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
But also how often do you get the chance to basically spend your money to nullify a peer power's military strength at a 1:1 ratio with zero risk to yourself

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

https://twitter.com/anildash/status/1606086567386152962?s=20&t=g_qfPbnAQSpfcTN4Svm3Gg

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

I have no idea what to make of this.
Did someone intentionally or accidentally gently caress up the design, or am I supposed to see a hidden message implied through that triangle?

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
I don't understand the yellow checkmark thing. Is that another company's logo hidden there?

E:fb

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

Eej posted:

But also how often do you get the chance to basically spend your money to nullify a peer power's military strength at a 1:1 ratio with zero risk to yourself

sure, just buy some of Israel's poo poo so they can assassinate a couple of Iranians about it

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Iran as a peer power to the US would take a lot of huffing of Fox news to really believe

Soul Dentist posted:

I don't understand the yellow checkmark thing. Is that another company's logo hidden there?

E:fb

It's just sloppy work

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Duzzy Funlop posted:

I have no idea what to make of this.
Did someone intentionally or accidentally gently caress up the design, or am I supposed to see a hidden message implied through that triangle?

My wife is a graphic designer, so I thought she would be able to provide some context.

She has no clue what is going on because there is no context.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I think the idea is that a multi-gazillion dollar mega corporation is putting out graphics design with simple flaws in it, as if their personnel were rushed and there isn't a lot of design review before things are published.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

ASAPI posted:

My wife is a graphic designer, so I thought she would be able to provide some context.

She has no clue what is going on because there is no context.

it’s just an image of a mistake

I think you’ve created some form of a lightbulb joke

ZombieApostate
Mar 13, 2011
Sorry, I didn't read your post.

I'm too busy replying to what I wish you said

:allears:
Somebody layered the different colored shapes on top of each other to make the check mark and hosed up aligning the one on the bottom so now the corner sticks out when it shouldn't.

edit: also that, yes vvv

ZombieApostate fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Dec 23, 2022

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

ZombieApostate posted:

Somebody layered the different colored shapes on top of each other to make the check mark and hosed up aligning the one on the bottom so now the corner sticks out when it shouldn't.

And it's the kind of thing that trivially gets caught when large organizations have basic processes. But they've fired most of their staff, so YOLO.

The graphic thing is insignificant on its own, but it is a sign corners are being cut. And eventually that bleeds over into things that matter like critical infrastructure so the assumption is Twitter will eventually poo poo the bed if it's run like this.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
Thats just extremely basic alignment poo poo. Without even looking I am going to say there are plenty of snap to or other basic alignment solutions someone didn't use. The assumption is that they don't have a half assed intern capable of doing graphic design on hand.

Sexual Lorax
Mar 17, 2004

HERE'S TO FUCKING

Fun Shoe

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

corners are being cut

oh sweet irony

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

GD_American posted:

Social Security Administration, which asked for $14.8 billion to fund a cast-strapped agency with its lowest headcount in over 30 years, got $14.1 billion, which is a 6% increase and less than the actual amount of inflation.

https://socsecnews.blogspot.com/2022/12/6-increase-in-ssa-appropriation-less.html

Look for similar news items from other regulatory and benefits agencies to come.

Ugh yeah there was a big WaPo article last week about how many states are super backed up in processing claims and appeals because they have a small number of staff and it takes a long time for new underpaid folk to get up to speed.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
A good example of why the kickstand thing is happening is like how Lonnie forced a feature on everyone - public-facing view counts for every tweet. By his justification, showing that "twitter isn't as dead as it seems".

The viewcount is now in the same place as the "respond to tweet" button used to be. So for years and years, people's brains subconsciously would click on the lower-left to respond. Now it's gently caress, WHY IS THAT THERE, GODDAMNIT because nobody said "hey, we should put views on the right next to the likes" and there was no wide testing about it. Important accounts now see their view counts twice, as they could see their impressions already before the change and that was never deactivated.

Edit: and the viewcounts are Facebookian bullshit https://twitter.com/Yair_Rosenberg/status/1606315381748006912?t=Bbf7ezg6wCZ_O_dmG6xZ4A&s=19

Also view counts are disabled on promoted/advertised tweets :laugh:

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Dec 23, 2022

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

GD_American posted:

Social Security Administration, which asked for $14.8 billion to fund a cast-strapped agency with its lowest headcount in over 30 years, got $14.1 billion, which is a 6% increase and less than the actual amount of inflation.

https://socsecnews.blogspot.com/2022/12/6-increase-in-ssa-appropriation-less.html

Look for similar news items from other regulatory and benefits agencies to come.

I thought SS payments were going up the same as VA disability (8.7%). That announcement was made a few months ago, too.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
maybe if we militarize the SSA it can get funded properly

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

maffew buildings posted:

maybe if we militarize the SSA it can get funded properly

One of my neighbors is on SSDI and gets less than enough to pay rent, despite being pretty goddamn broken. Her son lives with her and carries most of the weight.

It's loving insane that SSDI is such a goddamn pittance in comparison to VA.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

I thought SS payments were going up the same as VA disability (8.7%). That announcement was made a few months ago, too.

Payments are, but the actual Social Security Administration that processes everything and determines benefits and does customer service and everything else came in 0.7 billion under what they asked for to do their job.

loving ridiculous.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Oh, okay, departmental funding, not payments.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

One of my neighbors is on SSDI and gets less than enough to pay rent, despite being pretty goddamn broken. Her son lives with her and carries most of the weight.

It's loving insane that SSDI is such a goddamn pittance in comparison to VA.

Its based on how much you have paid into the system. Back when my ex was applying for it we checked to see how much I would get, and because all my jobs had been much higher paying than hers, I would have made a bunch more than she did despite not having near as many years worked.

You know, in case you wanted to be pissed.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Yeah, I was aware they played it off your income. That's some bullshit.

The one thing the VA usually does right is the disability end and that model needs to be spread into the civilian side. poo poo's insane. No one can live on what SSDI offers without becoming an anchor to a relative.

All because republicans don't want to pay taxes.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Social security has a limit on how much you can be taxed. If you pay taxes on a billion dollars in income, only the first 150k gets taxed with social security. Its an intentionally dumb system.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Yeah, I remember that limit being raised from like, $95k under Obama. Just take the limit off and let the SSA and IRS go hog wild.

E: can't wait for the gop to make the SSA and IRS illegal in 2025 after DeSantis wins.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Its literally designed not to help those who need it, and need to be fixed so badly. Shame it appears politicians have agreed that "fixing" it means slowly killing it(and everyone who relies on it)

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
Is SSDI the one that also limits you to having no more than $2000 to your name at any given point? because lol if so, that wouldn't even cover rent much less utilities

Platystemon posted:

Russia’s power was not built in a day.

I wasn't arguing that it was, or that it isn't good or impressive, just that the "we spent 5% of our budget to nuke 50% of russia" is misleading if you leave out that the US military budget is literally 10 times that of Russia. that's it. it's a dumb omission to make it sound more impressive and i think it's funny.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Zamujasa posted:

Is SSDI the one that also limits you to having no more than $2000 to your name at any given point? because lol if so, that wouldn't even cover rent much less utilities

And it counts any money your spouse makes

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Zamujasa posted:

Yeah, you basically can't own poo poo on SSDI.

And you usually have to be denied at least once, go in front of a judge, pay for a disability lawyer, etc. It's a giant loving scam compared to the VA's "go to doctor, make C&P appt, go to doctor again" system.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

Payments are, but the actual Social Security Administration that processes everything and determines benefits and does customer service and everything else came in 0.7 billion under what they asked for to do their job.

loving ridiculous.

And just for reference, the SSA disburses about $1.4 trillion to nearly 75 million people on that $14 billion and change budget. The $700 million that was denied represents 0.05% of actual program costs, but that's just too much because we can't have the government doing things right.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
The view count poo poo is pure brain poison and shouldn't exist, it will literally worsen the mental health of people already too online on twitter

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Yeah, I remember that limit being raised from like, $95k under Obama. Just take the limit off and let the SSA and IRS go hog wild.

E: can't wait for the gop to make the SSA and IRS illegal in 2025 after DeSantis wins.

It'll just be mainly directed at poor black people. Kinda like it already is

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Eej posted:

The view count poo poo is pure brain poison and shouldn't exist, it will literally worsen the mental health of people already too online on twitter

Elon also got rid of the suicide prevention feature

The pieces are starting to come together

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

https://twitter.com/officejjsmart/status/1606300584243601412?t=4WzVcamnE-dTjy2gBbLqLA&s=19

Merry Christmas, Russia.

Churchill
Nov 27, 2007
Winston

Christmas in Russia is celebrated in January but yeah, Merry Christmas fuckers

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Churchill posted:

Christmas in Russia is celebrated in January but yeah, Merry Christmas fuckers

So we've got a few weeks for things to come to a boil and still be able to be named the Christmas Revolution, then.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Maybe in 70 years we can have a movie named "The Hunt For Red-Nosed Reindeer"

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Flynn wants attention or cashed a check from RU.

https://twitter.com/RonFilipkowski/status/1606424551054876673?s=20&t=I4Md9zdXDW1chjSGYKxsig

Seems kind of high level poo poo talking

https://twitter.com/GenMhayden/status/1606451263188656129

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

That Works posted:

Flynn wants attention or cashed a check from RU.

He definitely is desperate for attention if he's down to appearing on PillowTube.

He's also a fascist so the payoff isn't really necessary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

It’s incredible the Qanon freaks are trying to make Tan Suit 2.0 happen