Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Kesper North posted:

Wow, this really puts the Dauntless design in a lot more context for me. I though it looked weird and almost un-Starfleet like, but now I really see how it's very much a streamlined Voyager.

I'm still not a fan of how they just chopped off a solid quarter of the original Dauntless. It ruins the side and rear profile of the ship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Kesper North posted:

Wow, this really puts the Dauntless design in a lot more context for me. I though it looked weird and almost un-Starfleet like, but now I really see how it's very much a streamlined Voyager.

Well it is un-starfleet-like, it's a starfleet recreation of an alien ship.

nine-gear crow posted:

I'm still not a fan of how they just chopped off a solid quarter of the original Dauntless. It ruins the side and rear profile of the ship.

Yeah it looks wierder now but on the other hand it does look more starfleet-like, so it helps drive home that this is the Starfleet adaption of the original.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

MikeJF posted:

Well it is un-starfleet-like, it's a starfleet recreation of an alien ship.

Yeah it looks wierder now but on the other hand it does look more starfleet-like, so it helps drive home that this is the Starfleet adaption of the original.

Oh I know that, I just found it a particularly unconvincing fake. Like, uncanny valley levels of not-right. It fooled the crew of Voyager for a little longer.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I think 'uncanny valley starfleet ship' was exactly what they were going for. The crew of Voyager were eager to accept it because of what it offered and also they could explain the difference away with 'slipstream tech made us do this' but it was meant to look visibly off.

But yeah the new one's silhouette is much more starfleet. I do wish they'd pushed the nacelles up rather than down though.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Dec 23, 2022

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Still doesn't explain why they kept that horrible bridge for the Starfleet copy though.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Kesper North posted:

Still doesn't explain why they kept that horrible bridge for the Starfleet copy though.

Slipstream doesn't work unless the bridge is shaped like that and they don't know why.

(At least they installed a viewscreen on this one. The original didn't have one.)

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

I don't mind the Dauntless bridge, though all those light panels might make more sense if they were part of a holographic panorama viewscreen system instead, maybe like what the Minbari use on Babylon 5

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Delsaber posted:

I don't mind the Dauntless bridge, though all those light panels might make more sense if they were part of a holographic panorama viewscreen system instead, maybe like what the Minbari use on Babylon 5

This. I still don't understand why they didn't do this.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The white light panels are there so they can throw blue gels on them and use the same walls as Dauntless's engineering without it being too obvious.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Re: Prodigy, it is a little glaring in retrospect that they didn't go 'oh hey also could you relay to starfleet what's happening and maybe tell other starfleet ships not to come' to one of the other ships they hailed.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Pyroi posted:

Clearly time poo poo is going on, and each one of the ships is the same ship at a different moment in its personal timeline.

The Sovereignprise is the only one trying to disguise itself, but part of the paint rubbed off.

The Enterprise was famous for its high quality well tuned nacelles and it turned out to be easier to just replicate those than fix damage

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The nacelles did seems to have been pulled off and reattached differently every time we saw the ship.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
6ft model wonky nacelle supremacy

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

She's a 10 but her nacelle's a little wonky

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Delsaber posted:

She's a 10 but her nacelle's a little wonky

Okay, but how does the ship look?

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

Just watched "Trouble with Tribbles" for the first time in awhile. I forgot about the "Klingon who who has been body modifed not look not like Klingon."

I deeply, *deeply* hope that this is not where the Discovery writers got the idea of the Klingon spy part. Mostly out of great irritation that such a good episode spawned such a bad plot point.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

MikeJF posted:

Re: Prodigy, it is a little glaring in retrospect that they didn't go 'oh hey also could you relay to starfleet what's happening and maybe tell other starfleet ships not to come' to one of the other ships they hailed.

Maybe she did that in a part of the speech we didn't see, but figure the "call for backup" stuff was already in motion. Honestly, given that the Starfleet ships are currently unshielded, just have the Klingons or other armed ships shoot the weapons that are firing. Though again, figure the construct has a nasty potential fallback strategy of "have the Starfleet ships crash into each other."

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Watched 'Supernova'; was amused by how the kids' show has no qualms about showing an on-screen death, but on the other hand the compromised Starfleet ships blast away at each other for several solid minutes with only superficial damage (despite all having their shields down) until right at the end, when we see a couple of them lose nacelles or whatever. The Evil AI must have accidentally set the phasers to Tickle Mode.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
The ships slowly shredding each other with big bursts of flames (seemingly blowing out whole decks?) to show it's serious reminded me a little bit of Deep Space Nine. All of a sudden in "Way of the Warrior" and "Call to Arms" beam weapons hitting the station's shields resulted in big rear end fireballs where they hit. It looked cool as hell, but it was a little bit odd how that started happening for seemingly no reason. I don't know, maybe it was excess energy from the morphing grid or something.

My Second Re-Reg
Aug 31, 2021

Come on down.
Let's make a deal.
Prodigy is a little frustrating. On the one hand, it's a genuinely good show. On the other hand, I feel like it's hovering juuuuust outside the range of being a great show, and I don't think it would take much to push it there.

But then, it's also a kid's show, and I am a methuselah, so I can't tell if the little details I think would make it go from good -> great would also push it out of its intended age demographic.

Relatedly, I really loved them dropping the soundtrack and going for stark silence when the first phaser shots went off.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Payndz posted:

Watched 'Supernova'; was amused by how the kids' show has no qualms about showing an on-screen death, but on the other hand the compromised Starfleet ships blast away at each other for several solid minutes with only superficial damage (despite all having their shields down) until right at the end, when we see a couple of them lose nacelles or whatever. The Evil AI must have accidentally set the phasers to Tickle Mode.

Presumably that's to let them have a big fleet for the threat while not actually completely decimating starfleet.

If you want it explained, note that the evil ai seems to have to command every single phaser fire itself, and seems to be a bit rate-limited. And also it's happening without the help of the crew (and probably in many cases active hinderance) so things aren't working at 100%.

Maybe starfleet rolled out Defiant's armour layer fleetwide.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
FYI Paramount+ in Brazil released part 2 alongside part 1 of the Prodigy finale and spoilers are already circulating. I expect it will be on :filez: sites in a few hours.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

MikeJF posted:

If you want it explained, note that the evil ai seems to have to command every single phaser fire itself, and seems to be a bit rate-limited. And also it's happening without the help of the crew (and probably in many cases active hinderance) so things aren't working at 100%.

As some other person keeps saying - Starfleet really, REALLY needs some physical "off" switches for their systems.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

MikeJF posted:

Presumably that's to let them have a big fleet for the threat while not actually completely decimating starfleet.

Maybe starfleet rolled out Defiant's armour layer fleetwide.
Huh, that just reminded me of how in DIS the Enterprise had a photon torpedo bust through its hull, a matter-antimatter weapon with an explosive yield in the multiple megaton range, and when it went off Pike was protected by... a door. Phasers and torps in Star Trek are incredibly powerful and destructive, except when they aren't.

A phaser against an unshielded ship should slice it up like the Shadows did to the Narn fleet in B5, but the only time we've really seen anything like that is when we also saw what happens when a human takes a full-power starship phaser beam to the gut - ironically, in the comedy show!

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Payndz posted:

Bit of a funny story, re: The Diviner's death

https://www.cinemablend.com/intervi...ltimate-episode

They had to come up with his body disintegration to energy after he died because when they were blocking out the episode and doing storyboards, the director pointed out to the Hageman bros that the way the episode was written at the time meant that the Diviner's corpse would just be lying there in the background on the bridge for the rest of the episode while everything else was going down because he died so early into it. And while they thought it was funny as poo poo, the realized you can't really do that on kids TV, so it's now a canon thing that the Vau N’Akat turn into energy when they die.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Dec 23, 2022

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Prodigy has some of the most gut punch cliffhangers lately. I wanna see what happens next! Considering how lukewarm I was on the show in the first part of the season, I'm amazed how invested I am with this now.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

nine-gear crow posted:

USS Mouse Pointer

Mr.Radar posted:

FYI Paramount+ in Brazil released part 2 alongside part 1 of the Prodigy finale and spoilers are already circulating. I expect it will be on :filez: sites in a few hours.

English audio? Cause if so, I know what I'm going to look around for in a bit.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

nine-gear crow posted:

They had to come up with his body disintegration to energy after he died because when they were blocking out the episode and doing storyboards, the director pointed out to the Hageman bros that the way the episode was written at the time meant that the Diviner's corpse would just be lying there in the background on the bridge for the rest of the episode while everything else was going down because he died so early into it. And while they thought it was funny as poo poo, the realized you can't really do that on kids TV, so it's now a canon thing that the Vau N’Akat turn into energy when they die.

See, I'm the evil gently caress that wanted his corpse to stay around because they're still in the middle of a space battle, so when their ship gets hit or shaken his unsecured body would go flying all over the place hitting people and maybe giving them weird accidental "death hugs."

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Everyone posted:

See, I'm the evil gently caress that wanted his corpse to stay around because they're still in the middle of a space battle, so when their ship gets hit or shaken his unsecured body would go flying all over the place hitting people and maybe giving them weird accidental "death hugs."
Kirk: "Can someone... please... getthatcorpse OFF the BRIDGE!"
Picard: "Mister Worf! Would you kindly remove the corpse from the bridge?"
Sisko: "GET. THAT. CORPSE. Off my bridge!"
Janeway: "Harry, beam that corpse into space." [Glugs coffee]
Archer: "Hurf durf, water polo."
Burnham: [cries]
Freeman: "Why the gently caress is there a corpse on my bridge? Beckett!"

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Payndz posted:

Archer: "Hurf durf, water polo."

T’Pol: Captain, Vulcans have determined that it is unwise to leave a corpse unsecured on the bridge.

Archer: I’m sure they have. I’m sure the Vulcans have pages and pages of rules and procedures and step by step instructions about what to do with a corpse on the bridge. But we’re out here to do things our way, not the way the Vulcans want us to. And I bet that gets right under your unemotional, logical skin, doesn’t it?

T’Pol: *eyebrow*

Porthos pees on the corpse.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Pike: Well, waste-not want-not. Ensign, we'll be eating my famous chili tonight!

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo
Star Trek: Weekend at Diviner's

Star Trek: Swiss Army Diviner

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

LORCA: = oh poo poo, what would these wimpy Federation dweebs do with a body??? = Saru, transport to sickbay for the morgue.

PiKE: =thinks about what is the right thing to do.= Saru, transport to sickbay for the mourge.

SARU: =thinks an unsecured dead body is a hazard= Burnham, transport to sickbay for the mourge.

BURNHAM: =thinks this was a lot of work for a meme= Saru, transport to sickbay for the moruge.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Gwynn calls up wherever the gently caress Wesley is in space and time: "Hey Ensign Crusher, wanna see a dead body?"

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

My Second Re-Reg posted:

Prodigy is a little frustrating. On the one hand, it's a genuinely good show. On the other hand, I feel like it's hovering juuuuust outside the range of being a great show, and I don't think it would take much to push it there.

But then, it's also a kid's show, and I am a methuselah, so I can't tell if the little details I think would make it go from good -> great would also push it out of its intended age demographic.

Relatedly, I really loved them dropping the soundtrack and going for stark silence when the first phaser shots went off.

I think it's pretty much a "great show," but in terms of its own genre, it's not really Air Bender/Korra yet.

nine-gear crow posted:

I kind of guessed that's what caused this choice when I was watching it.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Twincityhacker posted:

LORCA: = oh poo poo, what would these wimpy Federation dweebs do with a body??? = Saru, transport to sickbay for the morgue.

PiKE: =thinks about what is the right thing to do.= Saru, transport to sickbay for the mourge.

SARU: =thinks an unsecured dead body is a hazard= Burnham, transport to sickbay for the mourge.

BURNHAM: =thinks this was a lot of work for a meme= Saru, transport to sickbay for the moruge.

EMPEROR GEORGIOU: =notices slight visual similarity between Vau N'Akat head tendrils and Kelpien ganglia= Michael, transport this to the kitchen for my private dining room.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
My theory for next episode is that the Diviner's energy transfer will allow Gwynn to control or disarm the Living Weapon.

Also high-five and hat's off to the show for putting her in the captain's chair, holy poo poo, I did not see that coming way back when I complained about her not being in command from the start.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Kesper North posted:

My theory for next episode is that the Diviner's energy transfer will allow Gwynn to control or disarm the Living Weapon.

Also high-five and hat's off to the show for putting her in the captain's chair, holy poo poo, I did not see that coming way back when I complained about her not being in command from the start.

Same, she's who I felt should have been captain and was better suited for it than Dal so him actually recognizing that and giving up the chair for her was great.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

In late to the party news, I watched the first episode of Prodigy.

Not even as childish as I expected, and from everything I've read here I am eager to see the rest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Astroman posted:

In late to the party news, I watched the first episode of Prodigy.

Not even as childish as I expected, and from everything I've read here I am eager to see the rest.

It's real good. The last few episodes have been :staredog: :getin: