Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

Farm Frenzy posted:

jake sully delivers a big speech to several tribes of navi to get them to help fight and it works for a bit with heavy casualties for the navi but then it appears that theyre going to lose so the forest god intervenes ansd sends velociraptors and rhinos to help. they shoot arrows at the mech. i hope this brings you peace

DoubleDonut posted:

somehow the future military robots cannot stand up to arrows, rocks, and alien animals
thank you, friends. i am absorbing all this mythology.

Jazerus posted:

basically the na'vi are big blue sexy ewoks and use the power of being Noble Savages to beat up the humans, who to be fair are doing a pretty lovely job at the whole colonialism thing and only brought one mechwarrior and some assault rifles with them for security

the message to the audience is the same as like, fern gully
i only saw fern gully once when i was like 5, what was its message?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

indigi posted:

lol oh yeah

e: he would of pulled April aside and been like "do you have any friends"

i remember the whole andy april romance being immediately preceded by her breaking up with these two gay guys her own age she hangs out with and makes out with and these characters and the whole dynamic is so insanely boring im not surprised no one remembers it

like i think at one point theres even a joke where amy poehler tries to get april to talk about it to make interesting conversation and aprils just like theres really not any more to it than what you already said describing it tbh

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Femur posted:

A childmolestor i knew loved park and rec.

How did you watch the whole thing with your monitor of f

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

Femur posted:

A childmolestor i knew loved park and rec.

yeah he even made an appearance while VP

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

loquacius posted:

Rashida Jones is not particularly charismatic which is weird considering how incredibly hot she is; she mostly just does airline commercials these days AFAIK
Chris Pratt does the voice of Mario now
Aubrey Plaza should be in more poo poo tbh but she's out of residual P&R fame by this point
Aziz Ansari got his own TV show
Rob Lowe was past his prime I guess but he was already A Thing thanks to West Wing
Adam Scott is doing Severance now and it's great so no complaints there
Amy Poehler herself is I think done acting but gets to be a director now

who am I missing

edit: wrong show nm

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

mazzi Chart Czar posted:

excuse this semi off topic post.
gently caress the current crop of Christmas Country music. This is the year it took over the radio in Los Angeles, because the only people who listen to radio are people who want background noise or people who are super into manipulating pop-culture, and the people who are super into pop culture are into country because it's not rap and has a lot of words, so they can talk about it.

lol. i like old Christmas music but any new Christmas that isn’t rap tends to suck rear end. even that is dicey but usually funny if it sucks.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Aubrey Plaza just starred in a season of White Lotus on HBO and starred in a good indie flick this year.

I agree she should be in more stuff, she's a great actress.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Xaris posted:

what forum did they mod

“Former TV/IV mod, who was permabanned on 10/21/13 after being found out to be a literal child rapist” :aatrek:

MacheteZombie posted:

Aubrey Plaza just starred in a season of White Lotus on HBO and starred in a good indie flick this year.

I agree she should be in more stuff, she's a great actress.

she was a chore to watch in that, but far less so than the guy playing her husband.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

MacheteZombie posted:

Plex is a free software that let's you stream and share your digital media across devices and with other people.

*strokes beard* ah, winamp

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Communist Thoughts posted:

The problem is the remaining story of the first dune book isnt that much afaik. There's basically a battle and a duel then it's over.

Only God Emperor was particularly interesting imo, the two between that and the 1st book are super boring. I forget if its book 2 or 3 but it was the most boring book I've read in a loooong time.

They also get more and more hosed up as Herbert becomes the Lovecraft of homophobia.

Dune 1 has been aped so many times its kinda boring but God Emperor is fully insane and still quite novel.
Can't wait for the scene where a genetically modified superlesbian is cumming while watching clone zombie Jason mamoa climb a cliff right after his latest in a series of homophobic meltdowns.

i thought god emperor was the worst of the bunch. i dont think ive ever seen a book fail to live up to the promise of its premise that badly. nothing happens, every character sucks rear end, and its just loving boring beyond a few weird scenes like the aforementioned wall climbing induced cum

leto specially sucks rear end. to make that book work you realy have to nail that character and uh poor herbert did the opposite of that. he comes across less like a god that has been guiding humanity for thousands of years and more like an annoying, petulant child

i actually thought the last 2 books were the best among the sequels because they have like, an actual plot. even if they obviously suffer from being basically nothing but setup to a storyline that was never concluded

babypolis has issued a correction as of 03:47 on Dec 23, 2022

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

mawarannahr posted:

“Former TV/IV mod, who was permabanned on 10/21/13 after being found out to be a literal child rapist” :aatrek:

she was a chore to watch in that, but far less so than the guy playing her husband.

It was definitely a step down from season 1 but I thought she was a high point. The guy playing her husband was bad though agreed.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

At the risk of sounding uncool...
What is plex?

it's basically a media server front-face. like take Netflix, add a lot more features and customizable and different collections/sorting, and then instead of movies hosted on AWS they're hosted on your harddrive*. since it's internet-facing you can access it on any device or tv, or make logins for friends and family. so basically, it's just your own Netflix in almost every way

it's the gold standard of personal netflix's. no fiddling with linux or ports or having a file server, It Just Works out of the box and idiot proof

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

*strokes beard* ah, winamp

it really whips the llama's rear end

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HaF-nRS_CWM

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

Xaris posted:

it's basically a media server front-face. like take Netflix, add a lot more features and customizable and different collections/sorting, and then instead of movies hosted on AWS they're hosted on your harddrive*. since it's internet-facing you can access it on any device or tv, or make logins for friends and family. so basically, it's just your own Netflix in almost every way

it's the gold standard of personal netflix's. no fiddling with linux or ports or having a file server, It Just Works out of the box and idiot proof

Plex was originally a fork of XMBC (which became Kodi) but it's so much easier to set up and use and has apps for smart TVs and it's all I've used for like 10 years now. Build Netflix in your house!

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Xaris posted:

It Just Works out of the box and idiot proof

https://youtu.be/woQooW-VCBE

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Plex absolutely whips rear end. I paid for a lifetime license back when it first got started and don't regret it. Use it almost daily.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

how do you get stuff onto plex do you still have to download it yourself manually or can plex interact with netflix or amazon prime or youtube or whatever random website youre getting the file from and do it for you

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

a strange fowl posted:

Hexxus was cool

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

plaza sucked in white lotus because i think anyone she had to work with sucked even more. i hated the two male leads she was paired with

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Some Guy TT posted:

how do you get stuff onto plex do you still have to download it yourself manually or can plex interact with netflix or amazon prime or youtube or whatever random website youre getting the file from and do it for you
They have added some Discover feature that you can add all your streaming services to., but i dont know how it works

it also has Crackle or w/e and a few "Plex Movies" channels, but i hate them because it's like the same single ad repeated a bazillion times

so yeah in general you still just need to :filez: but you just dump them all into a single folder and let plex sort em out

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

https://twitter.com/ShitpostGate/status/1605989025826844672

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

i ask because you mentioned triangle of sadness which i assumed you got from the screen actors guild website when it was mentioned but wasnt sure anyway something that could just download password protected links for future viewing would be extremely my jam btw they still havent fixed it lol

https://www.sagawards.org/mpnc29/DigitalScreeners

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

a strange fowl posted:

pollution is gay

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Bro Dad posted:

pollution is gay

look,

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

a strange fowl posted:

can someone please just tell me in simple language how the space cats repelled the human invaders. i am trying to work out cameron's message to the audience. what does he think we should do. if it comes down to "humans would never burn a whole ecosystem just to get to the minerals", then,
important note: the atmosphere is already poisonous to humans. this isn't fully explained iirc (i.e. they don't say the air specifically has cyanide in it or whatever) but they have to wear full face protection with an air supply

anyway Aubrey Plaza was great in the music video for Cinnamon Chasers - Luv Deluxe

stringless has issued a correction as of 10:14 on Dec 23, 2022

POWELL CURES KIDS
Aug 26, 2016

gently caress, they got him

leraddude
Dec 9, 2022

by Hand Knit

Only God Emperor was particularly interesting imo, the two between that and the 1st book are super boring. I forget if its book 2 or 3 but it was the most boring book I've read in a loooong time.

bit far back now, but you're definitely thinking of 3 - Children of Dune. that is the most boring dogshit of a story ever put to paper. its so weird that Frank followed it up with the masterpiece that is God Emperor

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

I think that one is the one where absolutely nothing happens for 95% of the book then in the final 20 pages out of absolutely nowhere one of the children turns into Worm Venom and runs around at 90mph punching peoples heads clean off.

Why wasn't the book about this earlier??

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

Xaris posted:

They have added some Discover feature that you can add all your streaming services to., but i dont know how it works

it also has Crackle or w/e and a few "Plex Movies" channels, but i hate them because it's like the same single ad repeated a bazillion times

so yeah in general you still just need to :filez: but you just dump them all into a single folder and let plex sort em out

Alternately, you can just pay people on reddit like $5 a month and access their Plex share, where they will usually have basically every movie and tv show already downloaded and have systems in place for you to easily request stuff they don't have via discord servers.
Yo ho fiddly dee!

leraddude
Dec 9, 2022

by Hand Knit

I think that one is the one where absolutely nothing happens for 95% of the book then in the final 20 pages out of absolutely nowhere one of the children turns into Worm Venom and runs around at 90mph punching peoples heads clean off.

Why wasn't the book about this earlier??

p much

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

leraddude posted:

bit far back now, but you're definitely thinking of 3 - Children of Dune. that is the most boring dogshit of a story ever put to paper. its so weird that Frank followed it up with the masterpiece that is God Emperor

do you need to have read children to get god emperor? I read the first 2 last year but stayed away from 3 tho have remained curious about 4

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Organic Lube User posted:

Alternately, you can just pay people on reddit like $5 a month and access their Plex share, where they will usually have basically every movie and tv show already downloaded and have systems in place for you to easily request stuff they don't have via discord servers.
Yo ho fiddly dee!

paying Reddit randos for their video archive? this sounds like a good way to be paying money for CSAM and getting RICOd or some poo poo.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
Make better friends, one with a Plex server

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Make a justwatch account , make a giant list of stuff you want to see, the filter by streaming service and do monthly trials for each one if you're so worried about piracy and money

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

the only good part of parks and recs is the kim kardashian blooper

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Doktor Avalanche posted:

the only good part of parks and recs is the kim kardashian blooper

I liked the jokes about Pawnee being the site of an indigenous peoples massacre

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
I mean I'm sure there's some good jokes in it still, some incredibly talented people worked on it. RIP Harris Wittels

Yadoppsi
May 10, 2009

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

do you need to have read children to get god emperor? I read the first 2 last year but stayed away from 3 tho have remained curious about 4

Not really. It's set over a thousand years in the future. All you need to know going in is that Leto, Paul's son, has fused with a sandworm to become immortal and boost his prescience far beyond his father's.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Paul Atreides named his first son Leto II and his second son Leto II

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Filthy Hans posted:

Paul Atreides named his first son Leto II and his second son Leto II