Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AnonymouseNo5
Nov 11, 2021

Disappointing Pie posted:

What’s a good game to test the gyro aiming stuff? I’ve had this thing a few months and never messed with it.

Aperture Desk Job. Counter-Strike: Global Offensive in private bot matches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

breath of the wild tbh.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Consummate Professional posted:

What games should I buy on sale and then never play

all of them

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
Hey, so, not sure where to ask this - I didn't see a general emulation thread - but like with Ship of Harkinian and how it works, can you use that as like a general emulator for Zelda OOT stuff? What I mean is like, if I plop down a romhack into the rom I'm running SoH off of, would I be able to play that romhack with all the amazing QoL stuff in SoH or no?

Like the text speed and other little stuff is nice, but holy gently caress is the free camera a game changer. Like I feel like I never really actually played the game before. I honestly do not believe I could ever enjoy playing OOT again without freecam. It's wild.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Hey, so, not sure where to ask this - I didn't see a general emulation thread - but like with Ship of Harkinian and how it works, can you use that as like a general emulator for Zelda OOT stuff? What I mean is like, if I plop down a romhack into the rom I'm running SoH off of, would I be able to play that romhack with all the amazing QoL stuff in SoH or no?

Like the text speed and other little stuff is nice, but holy gently caress is the free camera a game changer. Like I feel like I never really actually played the game before. I honestly do not believe I could ever enjoy playing OOT again without freecam. It's wild.

My understanding is that Ship of Harkinian is a full on recompilation of OOT and OOT alone from effectively-source after the decompilation work that was done a couple years back. Most "regular" emulation is roms and romhacks, which is literally byte-by-byte recreations and in-situ replacement of the read only memory shipped with the original game (which is why all romhacks have a target that they'll work on, like "1.0 JP" or "1.2 US" or what have yout). SoH makes modification eaiser in the sense that you don't have to necessarily be an assembly-level wizard to make the changes, but by definition anything made "for" SoH won't work as a romhack or vice versa-- someone has to go in and explicitly remake whatever thing for the other version in a completely different way.

SoH is not like the Wii/Wii U virtual console stuff where it's an emulator wrapping an old rom.

(caveat that my understanding may be flawed, basically 100% of my SoH knowledge comes from having ZFG streaming in the background sometimes)

e2: based on the soh github page they're only using the original rom as legal cover so that they're not shipping "assets" with SoH itself, they just yank the data out of known locations in various versions of the OG ROM, so no I don't think there's any expectation random romhacks would work with SoH. Best case would probably be SoH yelling at you about a hash mismatch, worst case would be corrupted textures and crashing because it's looking for ex texture data in a spot that's been romhacked into being something else.

Ursine Catastrophe fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Dec 23, 2022

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Yeah, from what I understand the "installer" executable that requires the ROM is keyed to accept only that one specific OoT ROM from like the beta Gamecube version, it won't even accept a regular unpatched N64 ROM as a texture/asset donor, and it only needs the ROM once, after that it'll run just fine without it. Most likely you'd just get an error if you tried it with a romhack.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
Ah, okay, thanks. I wasn't sure precisely how much information the thing took from the rom. Ah well.

But yeah, just reiterating that if you have a Deck and any appreciation for OOT, the game runs beautifully.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Got Hades on the steam sale. I played it on Xbox but it’s so much better on Deck just playing it in bed.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Bought Elden Ring for the second and third time (one for me, one for best friend)

thank u valve

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
How is the storage and glare on the base model Deck? So people recommend it? Are most people here buying that or the most expensive tier? I wouldn't play big games, just indie ones like Hades.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The different screen is only on the 512gb model. The others are 128 and 256gb. I have no issues with the glare on the base model at all

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

64, not 128

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Jesus christ

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

I just updated my steam deck and the two apps I had installed in Desktop mode suddenly stopped working (just Firefox and a vpn, but I’m in China, so basically nothing is usable, including discover, without the vpn). What happened there? It’s not a really big deal, it’s just a little annoying since I had to install dependencies through the console to get the vpn client working and I forget what they are.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I think the only sort of ROM hack (albeit an official one) Ship of Harkinian supports is Master Quest from the Gamecube version of OoT, you can use that version of the game as a base and you can play with the altered dungeons of Master Quest. Ship of Harkinian is still fairly new though, they've not implemented being able to pull assets from the 3DS version of Ocarina yet though it's in the pipeline. Some kind of co-op multiplayer is being worked on as well.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Heithinn Grasida posted:

I just updated my steam deck and the two apps I had installed in Desktop mode suddenly stopped working (just Firefox and a vpn, but I’m in China, so basically nothing is usable, including discover, without the vpn). What happened there? It’s not a really big deal, it’s just a little annoying since I had to install dependencies through the console to get the vpn client working and I forget what they are.

Anything done via the console in desktop mode, it seems to be a good idea to keep notes of what commands you ran so you can do it again

I've got a driver for the xbox 1 elite controller+wireless dongle and I think I've had to go back in and reinstall it nearly every time a major deck update goes out

kind of irritating but if it means if everything goes to poo poo the console can factory reset itself fairly painlessly then it is what it is, I guess

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

err posted:

How is the storage and glare on the base model Deck? So people recommend it? Are most people here buying that or the most expensive tier? I wouldn't play big games, just indie ones like Hades.

The storage is tiny and you will quickly use it all even if you don't install anything huge, so get an SD card to magically fix that problem.

The glare is fine in like, normal lighting conditions but if you were to try to play it out in the sun I bet it'd be difficult.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

err posted:

At least in Canada, the price difference between the 64 and 256gb models was roughly the same as getting the base model and a good-name 128gb SD card. I would say get the middle option just because it gives you more space out of the box and frees up the SD slot/means 1 less SD card you need to worry about buying and keeping track of.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Randalor posted:

At least in Canada, the price difference between the 64 and 256gb models was roughly the same as getting the base model and a good-name 128gb SD card. I would say get the middle option just because it gives you more space out of the box and frees up the SD slot/means 1 less SD card you need to worry about buying and keeping track of.

Yeah, that's definitely going to be the main factor. What makes sense for each individual is going to vary. For me the baseline model + SD card was a lot cheaper than the mid-tier model and the third-tier was right out of reach.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

err posted:

As for glare you can just get a matte screen protector

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Gabe personally emails you every week to call you a poor piece of poo poo if you don’t buy the top end model, sad but true

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Using this thing in desktop mode definitely involves a degree of Linuxy fiddliness I was not prepared for. I got my vpn installed again, but the vpn is excruciatingly slow on the deck even though it’s perfectly fine on all my other devices.

Also, for some reason, after unplugging from my monitor once, it now refuses to connect to it again. I think it’s a settings issue, but the deck screen also turns off when plugged into the monitor, and I don’t know how to adjust the settings for the external display when it’s not plugged in.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
So idiot with no experience with Linux with three I'm sure very dumb questions
1. Is there a more up-to-date guide on emulation than the one in the wiki? Like just a little confused about what all the options and stuff do in the emudeck installer thing.
2. https://alephone.lhowon.org/games/infinity.html Trying to get Aleph One running up on this. How do I ./configure && make && make install ? Like how do I run things in the terminal?
3. I can't seem to find the way to make Heroic games from GoG launch in Steam :(

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

1. Is there a more up-to-date guide on emulation than the one in the wiki? Like just a little confused about what all the options and stuff do in the emudeck installer thing.
2. https://alephone.lhowon.org/games/infinity.html Trying to get Aleph One running up on this. How do I ./configure && make && make install ? Like how do I run things in the terminal?
3. I can't seem to find the way to make Heroic games from GoG launch in Steam :(

For Emudeck the best guide is probably RGC's (https://retrogamecorps.com/2022/10/16/steam-deck-emulation-starter-guide/), but the only options you really need to think about on first install is which emulators you want and whether you're putting the install on your internal storage or an SD card. Everything else is personal preference.

For Heroic once you've installed a game you need to go into the game page and hover over the 3 dots in the top right, there'll be an option there to add the game to Steam and then it'll appear in your non-Steam games list.

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

King of Solomon posted:

I played through all of River City Girls 2 on deck with the beta patch, and that game rules. As far as I can tell it never dropped below 60fps.

Playing on the live patch and I’ve had about 4 times I’ve dipped below 60 fps and one non game breaking graphic bug. Other then that, pretty consistent 60 fps with around 5 hours battery. It feels made for the deck even more than the first game.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

The Alephone github page lists a bunch of flatpaks for each game https://github.com/Aleph-One-Marathon/alephone/releases, that's probably a lot easier to use than compiling it from source.

I don't know how you'd get game data to work though, I don't own the games :v:

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

What is this barrage of system updates, Valve. It’s christmas I don’t want to be messing with this poo poo.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Mescal fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Dec 23, 2022

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Hey! Any decals or similar to change the labels on the face buttons? I don’t love the Xbox layout, and I know it’s easy to switch, but mismatched buttons would probably be worse.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Comedy/super tech savvy option: Open up your Deck and physically swap the button caps to the Nintendo orientation, then tick the option in the settings to use the Nintendo button layout.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

nitsuga posted:

Hey! Any decals or similar to change the labels on the face buttons? I don’t love the Xbox layout, and I know it’s easy to switch, but mismatched buttons would probably be worse.

You could just crack the thing open and swap over the buttons if you prefer Nintendo style. People have made replacement buttons for a bunch of emulation handhelds so I don't doubt there's someone out there who's made similar for the Deck.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Commander Keene posted:

Comedy/super tech savvy option: Open up your Deck and physically swap the button caps to the Nintendo orientation, then tick the option in the settings to use the Nintendo button layout.

I'm not going to go check the iFixit teardown but I'm certain the buttons are keyed so they cannot be inserted into the wrong slots.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

hotglue googly eyes to the buttons

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007

Heithinn Grasida posted:

SteamOS has an immutable file system, so if you start installing dependencies, there's a good chance they'll be wiped out with each OS update. That's why the Discover store is just displaying flatpaks, because flatpaks (with any dependencies they need) are installed in their own siloed off containers.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

Heithinn Grasida posted:

I ran into a fun thing with the update, I know there's a second update but I don't know if it fixes it or not.

I set up a second, fake root under my home directory so I could use pacman_ to install packages without messing with the filesystem.

To work this requires some alterations to LD_LIBRARY_PATH, so I set up my bashrc to define and export like so: export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:"$USERROOT/lib":"$USERROOT/lib64"

Somehow after the update my LD_LIBRARY_PATH was showing as :/home/deck/.root/lib:/home/deck/.root/lib64, which broke any commands I tried to run from ssh - the pacman user root's glibc didn't include the glibc that the Deck's software was compiled with, so I couldn't even ls or vim. Anyway I went and hardcoded the system paths into my bashrc's LD_LIBRARY_PATH line so that should handle that, probably.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I downloaded and installed Steam Deck, and Steam Rom Manager created all the folders etc, and I could just dump my collection of 9000 extremely legal ROMs on the SD card. The trouble is I can't get the box art to show up no matter what I do. I found some discussions where people said selecting Poster as the type in SRM helped, but it didn't for me. There's just a huge log of errors about failing to download images from a CDN and if the program freezes shortly after I hit the save button.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

I downloaded and installed Steam Deck, and Steam Rom Manager created all the folders etc, and I could just dump my collection of 9000 extremely legal ROMs on the SD card. The trouble is I can't get the box art to show up no matter what I do. I found some discussions where people said selecting Poster as the type in SRM helped, but it didn't for me. There's just a huge log of errors about failing to download images from a CDN and if the program freezes shortly after I hit the save button.

SRM pulls all its images from SteamGridDB, and sometimes it'll pull the wrong image or the game just won't have any images associated with it. Also 9000 would be a ridiculously huge amount of games to try and pull at once which would also explain it.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

njsykora posted:

SRM pulls all its images from SteamGridDB, and sometimes it'll pull the wrong image or the game just won't have any images associated with it. Also 9000 would be a ridiculously huge amount of games to try and pull at once which would also explain it.

Well that's the amount of ROMs I had on hand. I guess I could do it in smaller amounts but I don't see why it would matter really, unless SRM's been made in a really weird way. Plus I'm not getting any images so it feels like something's fundamentally wrong here. These aren't some weird ROMs I hacked up myself, they're known good sets for the NES, SNES, Genesis and GBA.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Release a controller where the face buttons are little screens, and you can cycle through the layout styles with a switch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Do y'all really have to look at the controller all the time to remember which button to press?