Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Welcome to Club Caveman. No think, only smash. Next boss fight is also a lot of fun with a fuckoff huge sword.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
You can Golden Retaliation the Moonveil Katana but it still does frickin damage to you!!

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Roman posted:

Just bought this. Is magic the OP way to go? I already played Dark Souls so I have no more interest in proving my skills with swords and boards, I want to magic missile steamroll my way through the whole game if possible.

Yeah you can totally dominate the game via magic or incantations. Whichever you think is more fun.

If you want to melee, you can totally dual wield and leap attack through things too. No shields necessary, but they're fun too.

Elden Ring has so many fun builds that snowball into doom machines. Good builds, however, have one thing in common: level your vigor!!

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022

i am harry posted:

35vig 35end 20str zweihander+9 with no ash of war update - four swings took out rennalas dog. just insane.

You are a tad overlevelled, and 35 endurance is way too high. Most builds stick to between 24-30 endurance.

But yeah minimum damage stats for that stage of the game's weapon upgrade level, every other point into vigor, is the way to go.

BasicLich
Oct 22, 2020

A very smart little mouse!

i am harry posted:

35vig 35end 20str zweihander+9 with no ash of war update - four swings took out rennalas dog. just insane.

Elden Lord Godfrey posted:

You are a tad overlevelled, and 35 endurance is way too high. Most builds stick to between 24-30 endurance.

But yeah minimum damage stats for that stage of the game's weapon upgrade level, every other point into vigor, is the way to go.

I'm sitting at 32 VIG 25 END 20 STR with a +14 Zweihander and the most trouble i've had so far is the big hands in Carian Manor (had to cheese with fire) and i died twice against Rennala Phase 2 before calling it a night (about 10 minutes ago)

First time I got her down halfway in Phase 2 she sicc'd a Darriwil summon on me after killing my Undead Soldiers +3 and the second time I just ate poo poo trying to drink my Flask of W. Physick. she hosed my poo poo with just one casting of that beam spell she does.

BasicLich fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Dec 23, 2022

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Ah gently caress here I go.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)
Oh, uh.. to all the new guys playing for the first time, one thing I would have liked to known my first playthrough.
-The statues with the glowing slash though them, they can drop smithing stones, but you'll need a really big enemy to smash them open.

And that's it, not much to them, and they're not super necessary. Drove me crazy going in blind.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Elden Lord Godfrey posted:

I just went south and cleared everything except caelid down there before getting godrick and going into liurnia. I’m not farming any levels.

How are you supposed to wear all heavy armor without high end? Just shift the burden onto a talisman slot that ups your carry weight by a bunch?

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

If it's working it's working, 35 END is on the high side (a bit low if you're doing Greatshield tank tho) but it's nice to have so much stam. There are talismen for it later yeah but it also means you can pick up another colossal sword and powerstance :sickos:

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Wonder if two zweihanders have a move set

The Cut of Your Jib
Apr 24, 2007

you don't find a style

a style finds you

Roman posted:

Just bought this. Is magic the OP way to go? I already played Dark Souls so I have no more interest in proving my skills with swords and boards, I want to magic missile steamroll my way through the whole game if possible.

I started a first playthrough recently, and INT mage is definitely increasing sizes of magic missile. Faith has all the elemental and status magic apparently, but I'm crushing most things with a wizard, especially if you have no honor and summon ghosts to distract bosses.

The main thing regardless of class is go around and try to finish quests before taking down a rune boss. Questlines are closed unceremoniously if you advance main plot too much without finishing the little stuff

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

The Cut of Your Jib posted:

The main thing regardless of class is go around and try to finish quests before taking down a rune boss. Questlines are closed unceremoniously if you advance main plot too much without finishing the little stuff

Ugh, ok, time to figure out what these quest things actually want from me.

The Cut of Your Jib
Apr 24, 2007

you don't find a style

a style finds you

Subjunctive posted:

Ugh, ok, time to figure out what these quest things actually want from me.

the main one I ran into is re: ranni I thought I followed the plot as expected but went with Blaidd, killed Radahn, and Selvius is just a corpse on the floor after that. looking it up, there lots more you can do with his machinations

e: I don't think you lose out on any major material gains, maybe a summons spell, but as a completionist I was blindsided. There was no indication things would be closed nor why x would happen at y time.

The Cut of Your Jib fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Dec 23, 2022

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Roman posted:

Magic can be a bit risky for a first blind playthrough, because there are so many things to find (spells/catalysts/vendors/scrolls, in addition to the usual weapons) to make it all come together. Just trying to pick a catalyst can be difficult without a wiki to go over which ones are good at which levels, which is not info you'll get just by looking at the item descriptions. You'll also probably need to devote more levels to Mind than you would otherwise, and reallocate some of your flasks from Nacho to Cool Ranch so you won't have as many heals available.

When you know exactly what you're doing and what's needed, magic can absolutely wreck otherwise difficult enemies, but if you're just throwing points into Int and casting Glintstone Pebble with the staff you start with because you haven't found other spells you're going to have a bad time.

The Cut of Your Jib
Apr 24, 2007

you don't find a style

a style finds you

Paracelsus posted:

When you know exactly what you're doing and what's needed, magic can absolutely wreck otherwise difficult enemies, but if you're just throwing points into Int and casting Glintstone Pebble with the staff you start with because you haven't found other spells you're going to have a bad time.

I am basically playing blind, and bounced off DS1 after a bit because spellcasting was so rough. The swappable mana/health jars are a great option. I went glass cannon 60 int before touching another stat. Harpies are my nemesis. Any bosses so far I can see why and where I'm bad. I just get wrecked by the birds swooping in.

But you run into that thing where there are maybe 10-12 staves in the game and like 200 melee weapons so I'm definitely looking forward to a second play-through so I can use some cool gear.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Roman posted:

Sorcery for pure long-ranged boom, incantations for exploiting elemental weaknesses, applying status effects, increasing your longevity, and putting out respectable mid/close-ranged boom.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Absolutely do not be afraid to look up any individual quest you're interested in and check the fail states or what the next step to advance is. ER is much better about it than the other games but it still has the same NPC quest problems. Sure you'll ruin some of that blind playthrough magic but I started doing it about 40 hours in and past Limgrave/Caelid/Liurna.

I managed to go the entire game without seeing a Yura trigger again after the Limgrave river and as I'm learning Big Mohg at the moment I was a bit mad until the Elenora invasion *did* spawn after a very lengthy delay.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Roman posted:

Sorcery is OP as heck in this game, the most OP it's been since Demon's Souls.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

Sorcery is OP as heck in this game, the most OP it's been since Demon's Souls.

And even so, I'd argue that incantations are even more OP. They're almost at Nioh-series levels of 'cripple your enemies while making yourself a monster'. All you need to do is check on a wiki for a boss's weaknesses and immunities, pick the right couple of tools for the job, and then make them die.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

The Cut of Your Jib posted:

But you run into that thing where there are maybe 10-12 staves in the game and like 200 melee weapons so I'm definitely looking forward to a second play-through so I can use some cool gear.

Melee weapons in Souls are basically meant as your primary option as a caster, you’ll never have enough SP to hit everything in a zone with and Elden Ring especially is pretty generous about levels so it’s not terribly hard to just take anything that’s not in colossal weapon/ultra greatsword tier stat investment and turn it into a Magic weapon. Honestly like a third of the fun of a mage build is building up to the point of the game where you can turn your Normal Battleaxe into a Dark Battleaxe that scales off your casting stats. Well, either that or using the giant ice sword and throwing out guile street fighter sonic booms with it.

Not that there aren’t still coolass weapons that are a big ask if your a mage, but there’s still a lot variety with what you can do as a magic user.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Darth Walrus posted:

And even so, I'd argue that incantations are even more OP. They're almost at Nioh-series levels of 'cripple your enemies while making yourself a monster'. All you need to do is check on a wiki for a boss's weaknesses and immunities, pick the right couple of tools for the job, and then make them die.

Reading the wiki before every boss fight on your first run is an absolutely awful decision. You only get one first run, don't waste it!

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
So pissed off that I can't use a weapon art to yell angrily and use a spell to put lightning on my hammer what's the point of this game

Tungsten
Aug 10, 2004

Your Working Boy

Buschmaki posted:

Maybe I'm a noob but I really wish the end tier incantations were as good as end tier sorceries in pvp. I feel like the best pvp incants are starter stuff like lightning spear and bestial sling, meanwhile the sorcerers get to do all sorts of crazy poo poo and still be viable in pvp

giantsflame take thee is good! but yeah the most powerful incantation is obviously rotten breath, at 15 fai 12 arc

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Tungsten posted:

giantsflame take thee is good! but yeah the most powerful incantation is obviously rotten breath, at 15 fai 12 arc

The extra duration, power, and status buildup of Ekzykes's Decay do make it a powerful upgrade, though. You shouldn't forget about Freezing Breath/Borealis's Mist either, which are the other half of your 'completely gently caress someone up with status effects' toolkit, and can make rot halitosis even deadlier if you freeze your victim up first.

Tungsten
Aug 10, 2004

Your Working Boy

Darth Walrus posted:

The extra duration, power, and status buildup of Ekzykes's Decay do make it a powerful upgrade, though. You shouldn't forget about Freezing Breath/Borealis's Mist either, which are the other half of your 'completely gently caress someone up with status effects' toolkit, and can make rot halitosis even deadlier if you freeze your victim up first.

oh poo poo, i should be freezing them and then infecting them? i'd been doing it the other way around. i just to to leyndell with a new dex/fai/arc character and have been leaning on the dragon incantations for all of my big, poise damaging attacks.

i'm not sure which direction to build it in from here. isn't there an arc softcap at like 25? maybe i'll hit that, get fai and arc up for the second tier of dragon incantations, and then build up to the bolt of gransax

edit: maybe bolt of gransax first because it seems more playstyle-defining

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Frostbite lowers resistances and reduces mobility, making enemies sitting ducks for whatever horrible thing you want to do to them next. It's a powerful tool for sorcerers, but priests have access to it as well thanks to Frozen Lightning (an excellent, underrated ability) and the frost dragon incants.

I can see that arcane casters might use it less due to having bloodflame incants instead, seeing as fire negates frost, but even for them, it's a good weapon against fire-resistant foes like Rykard and the magma wyrms.

Darth Walrus fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Dec 23, 2022

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

every pvp build that doesn't have frostbite built in should be carrying freezing pots. its an instant proc against like 95% of player builds. if you're chasing it stuns them briefly and saps their stamina which translates to their ability to run, dodge, and retaliate against you.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

My PvP guy Ser San d'Mann sends his enemies to their slumber he needs no other status effect.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Roman posted:

Short answer is yes. Everything can be overpowered to some degree but magic is the easiest to build.

Tungsten
Aug 10, 2004

Your Working Boy

Roman posted:

imo look up spoilers and make a beeline to the meteor staff and the spell where you hurl meteors, then go back to limgrave and wreck everything

unless they nerfed this recently, the strongest magic missile steamroll and what you'll want to build for eventually is a staff of loss in each hand (you'll have to trade or go to NG+ for the second one, but the bonuses to night sorceries stack) throwing out night shards and night comets

Tungsten fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Dec 23, 2022

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Only the insane equates pain with success

Tungsten posted:

imo look up spoilers
Or: don't loving do this and play the game naturally instead, you'll get OP sooner or later anyway.

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

The amount of natural discovery that this game lends itself to is beyond anything I've ever played before. Even a light amount of spoilers would sully that.
Genuinely had the most fun exploring and going "what the gently caress" to every new horror that spawned in front of me.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I looked up everything I wanted to do in a guide and I'd do it again, especially for Sorcery since it's very easy to lock yourself out of some very important items via quests.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Video Nasty posted:

The amount of natural discovery that this game lends itself to is beyond anything I've ever played before. Even a light amount of spoilers would sully that.
Genuinely had the most fun exploring and going "what the gently caress" to every new horror that spawned in front of me.

I'm glad I didn't read any spoilers or watch any trailers. When Radahn did his Thing I poo poo my pants.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
you'll ruin so much of this game for yourself by going to a wiki to look poo poo up. no items are essential unless you truly just want to remove all difficulty from the game. but then why are you playing it? to check if the wiki was right? lol

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
For whatever it's worth, I played the whole game using ths starting Astrologer staff and, since I didn't have a wiki telling me it was suboptimal, it was completely fine.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

Paracelsus posted:

Pure sorcery needs very little to actually be good (you can get carian slicer, meteorite staff, and carian glintstone staff very very early if you really wanna) but definitely agree that it is not well suited for a blind playthrough. It kind of combines all the different new player traps and is very easy to end up with a build with way too little vigor, way too much mind, and a bunch of INT wasted on reaching for stat requirements for spells that are very cool but ultimately pretty niche.

It’s a nice supporting skill if you wanna mess around as a hybrid on a playthrough but unless you have a good idea of what spells you want your kit to use and what stats + items you need to support that you will probably end up frustrated with the build.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

These birds with chained wings and bladed feet are not making me feel welcome.

I will at some point become able to parry things with the correct timing, right? That’s how it works? I have a lot of spears in my body.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
I am playing again and finally managed to get through a battle without accidentally crouching. Then I noticed that this was because my controller broke.
Now I am noticing that I do a lot of dynamic dismounting in my playstyle.
Does the game finally display correct buttons for a ps controller on a pc?

Also, I am following this "all NPC quests" guide and:
- Confess to Ranni in Ranni's Rise, get rejected, go back to Rogier for advice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

Catgirl Al Capone posted:

every pvp build that doesn't have frostbite built in should be carrying freezing pots. its an instant proc against like 95% of player builds. if you're chasing it stuns them briefly and saps their stamina which translates to their ability to run, dodge, and retaliate against you.

Some guy instant frostbit me with a freezing pot and then just hosed me up cause I was so bewildered