Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

That's fine. So long as there's a bed and a chest your dwarves will be happy with it. In fact if they're cave adapted sunlight will make them sick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

I mean yeah that is objectively awful. Given the choice I might have still picked it. I had that bad of an experience.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

Luneshot posted:

An independent review of the UCSB Dorm from Hell building plan has predictably concluded that it’s a bad idea:

quote:

amateur architect

:lmao: There's no such thing as an 'amateur architect.' He's just some rear end in a top hat with no idea what he's doing, but he has enough money to do it anyway.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

wolrah posted:

https://twitter.com/spokanerising/status/1453927747277840388

Your windowless cell with just barely enough room for what you need to get through college, connected to a windowless common room shared with seven other randoms, connected to a windowless hallway with seven other similar pods. One end of that finally leads to a room with a meaningful view, the other brings you to yet another mostly artificially lit hallway.

The sixteen rooms on the outside walls get a single window, the other 496 per floor could easily go days without seeing natural light.

I love having good curtains to control the outside light and would certainly be about a windowless room for just my bed, but this place is insane.
Somehow worse than I remembered. I've seen underground bunkers with healthier living spaces.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

VelociBacon posted:

e: at one place it became a game to sneak into each other's dorm rooms

in high school I did a summer thing where we were put up for a week in men's dorms from the 60s. each room had 2 built-in beds with a huge drawer that ran the full length of the bed.

somebody noticed that you could pull out the drawer and then access the drawer of the next room over -- there was a gap under the concrete walls.

one kid traveled the entire length of the dorm in this manner.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

MrChrome posted:

Looks like the builder/owner knew about wood and nothing else. Even the light fixtures are wooden.

They say wood adds a sense of warmth. Probably needed right now in Michigan.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

wolrah posted:

Your windowless cell with just barely enough room for what you need to get through college, connected to a windowless common room shared with seven other randoms, connected to a windowless hallway with seven other similar pods. One end of that finally leads to a room with a meaningful view, the other brings you to yet another mostly artificially lit hallway.

The sixteen rooms on the outside walls get a single window, the other 496 per floor could easily go days without seeing natural light.

I love having good curtains to control the outside light and would certainly be about a windowless room for just my bed, but this place is insane.

Also don't be fooled into thinking you share a kitchen with only 7 other people. There are no cooking appliances in individual pods. Each 'house' of 8 8 person pods gets a kitchen. You share your kitchen with 63 other students. The building does not have a cafeteria, nor is there one nearby.

Which means young idiots are going to be smuggling hotplates and whatnot into their rooms at an even higher than average rate. Good times when someone sets off the fire alarms.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Munger's previous experiment is a little better. It is a graduate student residence on the same pod principle, but the rooms are twice the size, include a double bed, and every room gets it's own bathroom. Still no windows in the bedrooms and generally a noisy nightmare for introverts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iG2JBEJ7VH4

But for undergrads this is too luxurious. I assume his next design will be a Japanese style pod hotel, because you could get at least 4X as many students in if you got rid of head room.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Just call them slabs and call the building The Sprawl.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
lol thats almost the same as my undergrad architecture students accommodation project.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Empty Sandwich posted:

in high school I did a summer thing where we were put up for a week in men's dorms from the 60s. each room had 2 built-in beds with a huge drawer that ran the full length of the bed.

somebody noticed that you could pull out the drawer and then access the drawer of the next room over -- there was a gap under the concrete walls.

one kid traveled the entire length of the dorm in this manner.

That's how urban legends start.

Jows
May 8, 2002

PurpleXVI posted:

That's how urban legends start.

And even when they're not legends.

https://chicagoreader.com/news-politics/they-came-in-through-the-bathroom-mirror/

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
Lemme guess, the rooms will also be dim and the pod common area will be less dim to ~*encourage collaboration*~

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Isn't it just straight-up illegal to have a bedroom with no window?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Isn't it just straight-up illegal to have a bedroom with no window?

Bedrooms typically have windows to meet fire code, but they could probably get a variance for it IF they could demonstrate that they mitigated the hazard through other means.

Supposedly such an effort was made for helldorm:

quote:

In response to initial descriptions by opponents that the 11-story building would have only two entrances and exits, UCSB clarified Munger Hall would in fact feature 15 smaller access points around its perimeter. “Exits and exit stairs are designed to meet and exceed fire, life, safety and building code requirements to ensure safe and quick egress from the building,” the university said. “Additionally, mass motion computer models of different emergency scenarios have been run to ensure exit times from the building during emergency exit conditions are acceptable.”

I don’t know that any amount of fire alarms or sprinklers or lighting or whatever could save that building, but in principle, you could have a legal bedroom without a window.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Platystemon posted:

Bedrooms typically have windows to meet fire code, but they could probably get a variance for it IF they could demonstrate that they mitigated the hazard through other means.

That's not a variance. Bedrooms have egress requirements. A window is not the only way to satisfy an egress requirement. The wrong type of window may not even count.

It gets very complicated very quickly when it comes to multi tenant residential egress, but fortunately you might get to use my favorite fire code/building term: vomitorium. https://up.codes/s/stairways-connecting-to-vomitories

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

This post needs at least three times more shit!

Motronic posted:

That's not a variance. Bedrooms have egress requirements. A window is not the only way to satisfy an egress requirement. The wrong type of window may not even count.

It gets very complicated very quickly when it comes to multi tenant residential egress, but fortunately you might get to use my favorite fire code/building term: vomitorium. https://up.codes/s/stairways-connecting-to-vomitories

Not the same degree of course, but I learnt this during my basement remodel. Where I am, a standard sliding patio door (with latch) does not satisfy an egress requirement, and instead needs to be a hinged door. In my case it mattered since there were height restrictions at the alternate exit that I needed to remediate to have a usable egress that satisfies all requirements. That or I'd have to buy a new door.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
You’re right, I misspoke, it’s obviously not a variance, building codes for large buildings is different to begin with.

Windows on many tall buildings don’t open anyway.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

:stare:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Plumbing/comments/zsw178/check_those_over_pressure_valves/

Vim Fuego fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Dec 23, 2022

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Motronic posted:

Thank you for this.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Despite what the poster says about the TPR (temperature pressure relief) valve failing, I'm like 80% sure you'd have to intentionally tamper with it to cause any modern water heater to fail in a closed state allowing it to overpressure so much it explodes. OP says they didn't check it after buying the home, which is plausible; it's also plausible that some Previous Owner thought the TPR valve failing open and dripping water everywhere meant it was useless and capped off the stem out of a dangerously overconfident sense of righteous correction of dumb manufacturers and their dumb designs.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

wolrah posted:

The whole thing is a shemozzle, but, you know you're in university, right? You're meant to leave your dorm rooms, and in fact if you don't you probably will fail your units.

Leperflesh posted:

Despite what the poster says about the TPR (temperature pressure relief) valve failing, I'm like 80% sure you'd have to intentionally tamper with it to cause any modern water heater to fail in a closed state allowing it to overpressure so much it explodes. OP says they didn't check it after buying the home, which is plausible; it's also plausible that some Previous Owner thought the TPR valve failing open and dripping water everywhere meant it was useless and capped off the stem out of a dangerously overconfident sense of righteous correction of dumb manufacturers and their dumb designs.

The guy who put those stupid "test operation of relief valves every six months" legalese signs that nobody every follows on every hot water heater is breathing a sigh of relief (no pun intended) right now.

~Coxy fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Dec 23, 2022

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

I bet between people not knowing anything about it, and not being able to get a bucket under the discharge pipe, that almost no residential T&P valve is ever touched after install.

glynnenstein fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Dec 23, 2022

mr.belowaverage
Aug 16, 2004

we have an irc channel at #SA_MeetingWomen

Splicer posted:

Somehow worse than I remembered. I've seen underground bunkers with healthier living spaces.

A nice opposite of this design is the U of Alberta Hub mall residence in Edmonton.

https://www.ualberta.ca/residence/our-residences/hub.html

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

glynnenstein posted:

I bet between people not knowing anything about it, and not being able to get a bucket under the discharge pipe, that almost no residential T&P valve is ever touched after install.

My tankless is installed on the wall directly above the laundry room sink and has a drain that goes right into it.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

~Coxy posted:

The whole thing is a shemozzle, but, you know you're in university, right? You're meant to leave your dorm rooms, and in fact if you don't you probably will fail your units.
I don't know about you, but when I was in college I packed as many classes as possible in to as few days as possible to leave the rest of the days of the week for loving around, and that seemed like a common strategy among my friends. I also had a few of those early entry level but mandatory courses where the instructor either just straight up told the whole class "if you think you know this stuff feel free to just show up for the exams" or allowed those of us with relevant certifications to do that. Between that and a couple of online courses, which I have to assume are a lot more available and popular these days than they were almost 20 years ago, I usually only had two days a week that I had to be anywhere in particular.

I'm not saying one should just stay in one's room, but if the building has a decent dining hall it's not hard to imagine a stereotypical antisocial nerd or a non-local student who isn't great at making friends just ending up spending most of their time there while still doing what they need to do academically.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

glynnenstein posted:

They're not and for more reasons than that. Touching them is exactly how you get them to start leaking.

Never touch one unless you have replacement in your hand.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Out of curiosity I took a look at properties for sale in Marquette and came up with this... weirdness.

Does somebody want to try to explain this kitchen? Because I can't figure it out. It looks like was designed to fit into an old-timey passenger train car.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1308-Pioneer-Rd-Marquette-MI-49855/106480004_zpid/

The sauna-bathroom is also pretty wtf.

What's this weird little leany-out thing?

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Looks like support for the butcher block, which is quite heavy

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

If it's lower than a normal counter, probably a pretentious bread-kneading counter

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Arsenic Lupin posted:

looks like a kitchen desk. someone explained what they were for in the past, but i dont really remember. i think people mostly just put the mail on them now.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Why are the floor planks gapped like that? lovely craftsmanship or is there a legit reason you could drop quarters between the planks?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Why are the floor planks gapped like that? lovely craftsmanship or is there a legit reason you could drop quarters between the planks?

My parents had a house where all the floors did that because the loving morons who put them in used wood that hadn't been properly aged. Shrank right the gently caress up in the first winter once the air got really dry.

The "solution" - and I poo poo you not - was copious amounts of caulk and some lovely sealant. By that time the contractor who oversaw the construction was retired or dead or something, we were all moved in, and my mom really didn't want to move us back out to rip up what was probably 3500 sqft of flooring. The whole house was done that way. It was new construction and every. single. room. had those floors.

I might be loving up a detail or two because I was 10 when it all went down, but I will never, ever forget how incandescently pissed my mom was about all that or my dad desperately trying to find a solution that didn't involve renting a house and moving the whole goddamn 2 adults, 2 kids, 2 dogs, 1 cat, 1 salamander, 1 hamster circus out while it got fixed on god knows what kind of timeline.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

It looks like subfloor. Nicer "finish" hardwood or sheet stock would have been put on top of that when the place was originally built.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Both good answers, thank you.

I was thinking subfloor but there doesn't appear to be much space between the heater in the back and the floor itself. But this is sauna shitter house so maybe the owner just wanted it to resemble a 1900s dust bowl house floor?

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I've been in late 1800s houses that looked like that. No subfloor, just those planks, and if you shine a flashlight between the boards you can see the dirt crawl space underneath.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

SpartanIvy posted:

I've been in late 1800s houses that looked like that. No subfloor, just those planks, and if you shine a flashlight between the boards you can see the dirt crawl space underneath.

Yeah but were there knotholes you could piss through?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

New fridge, new exciting PO craftsmanship.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

They were so close to getting it right.....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Arsenic Lupin posted:

For a phone, possibly. I saw a couple old houses while I was looking that had weird little cubbies with a jack right there.