Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

possibly controversial opinion: most of vanilla expanded is total rear end
there's cool stuff in there (like achievements, events, etc) but a lot of the content mods are terrible, bloated and unbalanced

that said i love VE Psycasts for a non-serious playthrough. i just wish raiders could use them too because they're insanely imba and with just 4 psycasters on my colony i can destroy 30-strong raids with minimal if any injuries

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Most of vanilla expanded is just "More of <thing in vanilla>", outside of the crazier poo poo like the factions and stuff.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Counter counter point: The vast majority of the VE mods are Cool and Good. It's just that trying to use all of them is going to drive you crazy and break any vague sense of game balance, and outside of the basic stuff you really want to pick and choose what you actually want and need rather than just throwing it all in because it's from the same team.

There's a lot I won't use just because they're obnoxious (Schisms, Trading) or broken in boring ways (Apparel, since it trivializes temperature management without any interesting tradeoffs) or just... unnecessary (Plants). Something like Psycasts definitely isn't remotely "vanilla" but it's still building a big new thing off existing mechanics so I can see why they included it in that series. And the faction mods tend to be... stuffed, but you can disable almost everything like mech invasions or raid types in the options or by just disabling the related factions at world gen. It adds to loading time but eeeh you do that once and then you're playing Rimworld for 14 hours straight because it's Rimworld and that's just what kind of happens.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Asimo posted:

Counter counter point: The vast majority of the VE mods are Cool and Good.

that counterpoint (aside from being subjective) doesn't really dismiss the core complaint most people have, is the thing.

VE mods would be cooler and vastly more tolerable if the Gratuitous Modding Syndrome bloat was packaged separately as optional fluff, since the whole ["a couple of interesting mechanics, buried under several tons of irrelevant crap"] approach seems to be offputting for a lot of players?

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

I mean that's also a subjective complaint, especially considering the fact the popularity implies most people don't in fact mind that. But I mean Combat Extended is popular too but there's no way I'll ever use that and that's kind of the point, if you think something is bloated and badly made just don't use it.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

stuff like there being 900 types of fish in ve fishing and 68400 types of food in ve cooking are some of the things that irritate me the most
the mechanics are cool but theres just so much bloat

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

marumaru posted:

stuff like there being 900 types of fish in ve fishing and 68400 types of food in ve cooking are some of the things that irritate me the most
the mechanics are cool but theres just so much bloat
I actually like fishing. It's the only Vanilla Expanded thing I use besides the ones that adds more ideoligion memes. But if there were a mod mod that replaced all the billion fish with "generic fish" I'd download it in a heartbeat.

I am more than fine with abstracting things that I don't need to make important decisions about. The game doesn't bother telling you if it's blueberries, blackberries, or strawberries. They're just berries. They all work the same as far as the game's concerned.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

marumaru posted:

possibly controversial opinion: most of vanilla expanded is total rear end
there's cool stuff in there (like achievements, events, etc) but a lot of the content mods are terrible, bloated and unbalanced

that said i love VE Psycasts for a non-serious playthrough. i just wish raiders could use them too because they're insanely imba and with just 4 psycasters on my colony i can destroy 30-strong raids with minimal if any injuries

counterpoint: I like giving my colonists boots/shoes to wear.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Asimo posted:

popularity implies most people don't in fact mind that.
Sorry, what? Must have missed that day in statistics class.

Asimo posted:

if you think something is bloated and badly made just don't use it.
Yea in case it wasn't clear it was explaining why I don't do VE, but hypothetically could change my mind if the modders focused better on [doing something and doing it well] instead of [doing lots of things]

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

silentsnack posted:

that counterpoint (aside from being subjective) doesn't really dismiss the core complaint most people have, is the thing.

VE mods would be cooler and vastly more tolerable if the Gratuitous Modding Syndrome bloat was packaged separately as optional fluff, since the whole ["a couple of interesting mechanics, buried under several tons of irrelevant crap"] approach seems to be offputting for a lot of players?

You can simply use the mods a la carte and ignore the bloat.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

it's perfectly fine to not use vanilla expanded. they add bloat and cruft that the game does not need and is wildly imbalanced. still fun to have though

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Flesh Forge posted:

you shoot everything there via pod launcher including one farskipper and then teleport everything home, it's essentially instant. the only caveat is the caravan has to have enough carry capacity to move after trading.

I don't like launching a lot of pack animals. And do you never visit additional sites? My caravans normally go to at least 3 places (maybe attacking 2-3 and trading at 1-2)

Something I have done though is
1. Form a caravan
2. Launch 1 pawn to a destination
3. Farskip the caravan
4. Shuttle home (if I am low on wood or steel, I use Set Up Camp first and harvest that map)

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Dec 23, 2022

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
To be clear, I don't really mind that VE has a ton of bloat. I actually like having a ton of cruft and bloat a lot of the time, and I don't even really care that it's often stupidly imbalanced. I just really wish that they didn't have a policy of releasing mods as big omnibus packages that include wildly different stuff in them, with the factions being the worst about it - it makes it so if you like one part but not the others, you either have to hack it apart with cherrypicker and hope nothing breaks(which it frequently does), or just not use any of it at all.

Like VFE mechanoids should be like 3 separate mods, minimum, as an example.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Dec 23, 2022

immoral_
Oct 21, 2007

So fresh and so clean.

Young Orc
Speaking of hacking stuff apart, is there any way to reduce the frequency of the Alpha xenogenes showing up as quest rewards, that's all I've been getting in a run that doesn't even have gene banks researched.

Xenix
Feb 21, 2003

QuarkJets posted:

I don't like launching a lot of pack animals. And do you never visit additional sites? My caravans normally go to at least 3 places (maybe attacking 2-3 and trading at 1-2)

How do you have time in between events at home if you're going to 3+ places? Do you just have an incredibly crowded world? I always feel like raids or other events are far risky when pawns are away on a raid or trading mission, and I have a hard time increasing the likelihood I'm shorthanded when one does come.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

QuarkJets posted:

tbh not really, I've never been a big fan of the whole caravan mechanic :shrug: When I trade it's almost always just to unload a big pile of loot so I don't really need pack animals, they come home with lightweight stuff. apparently the availability of bionic limbs in trading has gone way down and that was the great majority of what I would go out trading for anyway, now I really just go out to collect archite capsules.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Xenix posted:

How do you have time in between events at home if you're going to 3+ places? Do you just have an incredibly crowded world? I always feel like raids or other events are far risky when pawns are away on a raid or trading mission, and I have a hard time increasing the likelihood I'm shorthanded when one does come.

I try to settle near multiple factions so that I can have a lot of options

Often when I send out a caravan I will have 2-3 raids available, so I'm probably hitting 2 of those. Add in an ancient facility or two (it helps to have a ritual that can spawn one of these), and then maybe bring something lightweight to trade to a settlement or two; usually flake but I also make Ladies Hats out of spare leather and wool

If a huge inopportune raid happens I can instantly use the imperial shuttle to get home, but usually my pawns at home can handle things; right now my raiding parties are 6 pawns and probably 20 pack animals, then I still have another 10 people at home with the combat animals and mechanoids

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Xenix posted:

The location where you put your base has a huge massive impact on that. Put your base somewhere near a cluster of settlements with a road connecting them and on desert, tundra or arid shrubland and you can easily hit 2-3 sites, trade in a settlement on the way back, and return to your base on the morning of the next day. Put your base in the middle of a mountain range, swamp or a jungle and you are basically playing with caravaning disabled, because it will take like 5 days to go to a single site and back.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
Some of the VE stuff is just too bloated, but alot of it is meant to change your playthough. You're not going to want the romans, insects, mechs, and royalty psy-casts expanded on the same playthrough, on separate playthroughs maybe. I un-installed the royalty because I already have rimworld of magic and that's less dumb than royalty, and VE mechs is a bit too much bloat for me. Romans adds a faction that's between tribal hordes and pirate hordes so that's ok, but it also adds a way to build roads on the map (I like that).

Also I didn't realize this but if you take the royalty deserter quest it turns the royalty faction to permanently hostile. Shuttles are very nice and I will miss them that playthough.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Kanos posted:

To be clear, I don't really mind that VE has a ton of bloat. I actually like having a ton of cruft and bloat a lot of the time, and I don't even really care that it's often stupidly imbalanced. I just really wish that they didn't have a policy of releasing mods as big omnibus packages that include wildly different stuff in them, with the factions being the worst about it - it makes it so if you like one part but not the others, you either have to hack it apart with cherrypicker and hope nothing breaks(which it frequently does), or just not use any of it at all.

Like VFE mechanoids should be like 3 separate mods, minimum, as an example.

Honestly Mechanoids and Pirates are the only ones of their faction packs that really fall in that paradigm? Medieval/Western/Republics/Vikings/Insectoids are all pretty self contained in terms of giving you 1-3 new factions with the theme, a smattering of new techs and items and a few thematic quests apiece.

Mechanoids and Pirates definitely are overstuffed though and could easily be broken out into 5 or 6 mods. VFE: Factory, VFE: Mechanoids Total War, VFE: Build a bot, VFE: Pirates, VFE: Mercenaries, VFE: Warcaskets for instance. But I dunno how you'd break up the other faction packs.

Then you have Ancients as the odd one out, but that's pretty much entirely built around the superpower thing and doesn't really have anything else unless you really like the idea of having a Fallout style base of crumbling old poo poo.

Zore fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Dec 24, 2022

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

QuarkJets posted:

I try to settle near multiple factions so that I can have a lot of options

Often when I send out a caravan I will have 2-3 raids available, so I'm probably hitting 2 of those. Add in an ancient facility or two (it helps to have a ritual that can spawn one of these), and then maybe bring something lightweight to trade to a settlement or two; usually flake but I also make Ladies Hats out of spare leather and wool

If a huge inopportune raid happens I can instantly use the imperial shuttle to get home, but usually my pawns at home can handle things; right now my raiding parties are 6 pawns and probably 20 pack animals, then I still have another 10 people at home with the combat animals and mechanoids

Here's a screenshot of the world map I had last night just as I sent out a caravan. I wound up taking a path that hit:

1. the blue steel mining site
2. the hostile mech site right above it (which was a mech cluster with a -10C weather machine, big woop)
3. the ancient facility right above it
4. the blue settlement to the SE for some trading (the blue mining site was thankfully not the same faction)
5. the red steel mining site.

If I hadn't already been there recently I would have started off by going to the imperial settlement in the west for some trading, too.

At the final site I've made sure that my caravan is already at maximum carry weight - at stop 4 I bought up all of the steel, plasteel, and uranium that we could carry. At the final steel site, the objective is to clear the base, then spend half a day deconstructing everything and clearing the map of any large animals and steel deposits - usually there will be a herd of muffalo or something and sometimes even a minable steel lump. I'm running low on rock chunks at home, so I also grabbed about 300 chunks total of granite, slate, and marble. This is what my caravan bar looked like:

The transport shuttle doesn't care about weight, and it also conveniently unloads all of your animals for you. I land at the landing pad I keep near the center of my base, close to my stockpiles and my barn/outdoor grazing area. I Haul Urgently the perishables into my kitchen but the steel and chunks can wait for the lifter mechanoids

Also, if you use Set Up Camp Here there is often a ton of good amount of stuff to mine, that abandoned camp you see way in the SE had 3 large steel lumps and a small jade lump.

At home this is my front line:

Nothing cheesy, just a shitload of powerful turrets and some sandbags. To the north there's a thick block of Slate Wall with a 1-width hallway enemies trickle in through. As they come down I have a psycaster using Vertigo Pulse on the enemies, which keeps them at the firing range of all of my turrets + pawns. This keeps that group clumped together while the line of enemies continues to walk down, so they're still in the cast radius of subsequent vertigo pulses. Pretty soon I get 50+ hostile pawns all vomiting uncontrollably as they get gunned down by uranium slug turrets, autocannons, and pulse rifles. I have some melee pawns and polar bears but they're usually not needed, vertigo pulse is enough to keep the entire raid crowd-controlled.

Manhunting packs don't even need vertigo pulse, they just get gunned downed too fast:

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

You can basically turn off the mechanoid war feature in the mod settings by making it so the time between ships landing is basically infinite.

I think also deleting the faction that spawns the ships (at least I'm pretty sure that's what the second mechanoid faction in game setup is) removes them from ever spawning while regular mechanoid attacks can still happen.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

There's a toggle for this mech war system

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
The help to kill mod along with alpha animals is a fun combo. I now have 4 gallatrosses that can kill things for me, another half way to being trained there and a pregnant one. Just need to get lucky on inspiration timings/take the risk with high skilled animal handler's

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

SugarAddict posted:

Some of the VE stuff is just too bloated, but alot of it is meant to change your playthough. You're not going to want the romans, insects, mechs, and royalty psy-casts expanded on the same playthrough, on separate playthroughs maybe.

Alt-Hellstory in space is exactly what I cram 509 mods in to do.

Not-Brolys Big Goddamn Adventure in Business, Roman Politics, and Psionics was a great time

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

StealthArcher posted:

Not-Brolys Big Goddamn Adventure in Business, Roman Politics, and Psionics was a great time

:hmmyes:

Short modlists are for sissies. 509 is a modlist with some chest hair!

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

StealthArcher posted:

Broly powerlevel of over 1 million, except when that one rim-magic class that can straight up mind control your pawn if it sees it and then it brings up the map. no "caravan lost", no "your pawn was captured", just gone.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
I played this for a little while essentially following that steam guide in the OP on a second monitor. That was years ago though and I don't think I remember anything so I'm thinking about just following it again for another attempt. That the usual recommendation? Any mods I should try? Would it take insanely long/many attempts to just jump in and try to figure it out?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

if you're just getting started don't do any content mods at all, but there are some extremely useful quality of life mods that I recommend to everyone, no particular order:
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1662119905 - Dub's Minimap
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=945085502 - No Default Shelf Storage (you will pretty much always be adjusting shelf storage "things allowed" settings so it's better to start with them blank to avoid wasted work)
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1539025677 - Cut Plants Before Building, avoids pointless micromanagement
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=935982361 - Better Workbench Management, lets you link crafting jobs to share settings between identical crafting tables, avoids a lot of repeated micromanagement
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2878346181 - Save Storage, Outfit, Crafting, Drug & Operation settings, lets you save presets for any of these things that are rather complicated to set up, so you can avoid a ton of repeated finicky work
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1414302321 - Numbers, displays lots of statistical info about various things that you could find in other ways but with a lot less trouble, and centralized
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1372003680 - Replace Stuff, lets you replace constructions with different materials (e.g. you made a wall out of wood when you started, later on you have rock blocks and want to replace the wall) avoids immense amounts of pointless busywork
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=761421485 - Allow Tool, a collection of small UI tools that negates an immense amount of pointless micromanagement
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1874644848 - Character Editor, lets you edit characters (not necessary at all but useful)
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=761219125 - Defensive Positions, assign colonists to groups that can easily be selected and drafted, and assign 1 to 4 positions for all colonists to report to when a key/UI button is pressed, avoids tons of micromanagement
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1467764609 - Search and Destroy, allows drafted colonists to automatically move around to engage enemies rather than having to manually handle every guy's every step, avoids tons of micro
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2562730174 - Visible Raid Points, shows you exactly how raid size is calculated, to help you understand why you're suddenly getting 500 centipedes in every raid

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

KingKapalone posted:

I played this for a little while essentially following that steam guide in the OP on a second monitor. That was years ago though and I don't think I remember anything so I'm thinking about just following it again for another attempt. That the usual recommendation? Any mods I should try? Would it take insanely long/many attempts to just jump in and try to figure it out?

I didn't even realize the OP had a guide, I've just been telling people itt to dive in and ask questions :shrug:

Browsing through that guide, I'm seeing a mix of good timeless tips and stuff that's out of date. Last updated 2017? Seems fine if you want to use that, but I'm guessing you probably remember enough to not need it and can figure out things on your own if you wanted to.

Protip the free 1.4 patch was a game-changer for storage, shelves can now hold 3x as much stuff (unless the stuff is extremely heavy, like corpses or chunks). Gone are the days of needing massive freezers, I have a colony that routinely gets 30+ people counting guests and this is the entirety of my cooking setup:

(please ignore the megasloth snout in the top left corner, Bogdan senses the fermenting barrels)

That upper butchery/brewery area is optional, you could easily keep the butcher table inside the freezer if you wanted a little more space. But the key detail is that pre-1.4 I'd make a freezer 3x larger than what's shown here.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

https://twitter.com/TynanSylvester/status/1606857591837319170

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005
this game is trash, need a mod that lets me drop pod my toxic waste directly into the ocean

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

that will be either the next DLC "Water" or the one after "Ocean" that lets you embark on water tiles/has a bunch of underwater poo poo

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

VROOM VROOM posted:

this game is trash, need a mod that lets me drop pod my toxic waste directly into the ocean

Can't yeet batteries directly into the ocean, 3/10

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Drop tox packs onto your enemies

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005

Leal posted:

Drop tox packs onto your enemies

I tried dropping my toxic waste on the toxic wasters and they didn't like it

it's their thing, it's supposed to be there!

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

put 1x1 stockpiles of it in your bedrooms, it's really pretty :allears:

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

QuarkJets posted:

I didn't even realize the OP had a guide, I've just been telling people itt to dive in and ask questions :shrug:

Browsing through that guide, I'm seeing a mix of good timeless tips and stuff that's out of date. Last updated 2017? Seems fine if you want to use that, but I'm guessing you probably remember enough to not need it and can figure out things on your own if you wanted to.

Protip the free 1.4 patch was a game-changer for storage, shelves can now hold 3x as much stuff (unless the stuff is extremely heavy, like corpses or chunks). Gone are the days of needing massive freezers, I have a colony that routinely gets 30+ people counting guests and this is the entirety of my cooking setup:

(please ignore the megasloth snout in the top left corner, Bogdan senses the fermenting barrels)

That upper butchery/brewery area is optional, you could easily keep the butcher table inside the freezer if you wanted a little more space. But the key detail is that pre-1.4 I'd make a freezer 3x larger than what's shown here.

What is this long term food storage that doesn't have 37,000 units of excess corn waiting for enough drop pods to launch them at people for reputation???? :colbert:

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Flesh Forge posted:

that will be either the next DLC "Water" or the one after "Ocean" that lets you embark on water tiles/has a bunch of underwater poo poo

oceans are 1 inch deep
or are you implying that z-levels exist, heathen?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

I'm hoping a feature in the next expansion is an overhaul to medical stuff. As it stands things are basically a couple of binary considerations; is the condition tended or not, and is the pawn resting or not? Everything else is just a matter of qualities. It's fine for what it is, but you could really add a lot more to it, for example have different situations require actual different treatments rather than super-meds that do everything from soothing asthma to patching up a gauss round through the liver. I'm not saying we need to go Full Dwarf Fortress with this and simulate every muscle and nerve in the body, but a few more possibilities would be great, so you could have things like;

Needing to weigh up letting something heal naturally (Low risk overall but higher chance of imperfect healing that leads to, say, a limp) vs the costs and risks of an operation to fix it.
Infections which hit 100% don't insta-kill but rather turn gangrenous or cause sepsis.
Not actually knowing something is wrong until a patient presents and gets diagnosed. And therefore wrongful diagnoses!
Likewise, rather than conditions being automatically tracked in real-time, require monitoring and nursing care.
Physical therapy and convalescence. So pawns can go and do various things to improve care outcomes, as well as just having a place they can socialize and entertain themselves without it driving up the rate their disease gets worse.
Similarly, a period of convalescence and adjustment needed after transplants, prosthetics, and implants. People CAN go back to their lives once they wake up but give them debuffs for awhile to represent getting used to things, whereas if you keep them in the hospital longer they can overcome those much faster or avoid complications like chronic pain.
Friends and family visiting patients.
Possibilities for care of long-term/permanent health conditions other than just having to tend them. Loads of possibilities here, both for stuff that's wrong and ways to help.
Potential problems with implants, maybe needing a specialized ripperdoc kinda person to handle fully.