Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

The question is, what is a daemon doing in the kernel?

Whatever it pleases. Literally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

https://github.com/namjaejeon/ksmbd#performance
performance, apparently

it apparently had a bunch of security issues found after being merged https://lwn.net/Articles/871866/

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Drugs has always been my theory

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

klosterdev posted:

Joke's on me for being too lazy to change away from lastpass https://blog-lastpass-com.cdn.amppr...ity-incident%2F

Amazing.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Thanks Ants posted:

Let's see how quickly all the NAS vendors don't update their software

Your average nas is on kernel 5.10 or lower, which doesn't include the ksmbd kernel module.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
ksmbd is GPL2 whereas Samba is now GPL3 so there's bound to be a lot of NAS oems who would like to switch to the option that has responsibilities.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Compromising security, can't you read?

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

quote:

ksmbd

kill six million billion daemons

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Arivia posted:

You should ask them, daemon-to-daemon.
There's a Joe Cocker song in there.

Kazinsal posted:

Whatever it pleases. Literally.
:hmmyes:

Malloc Voidstar posted:

https://github.com/namjaejeon/ksmbd#performance
performance, apparently

it apparently had a bunch of security issues found after being merged https://lwn.net/Articles/871866/
I'd be entirely unsurprised to learn that most of that improvement comes from not having to deal with context switches et cetera, and that in reality there is no performance improvement when you account for that.

Isn't Linux supposed to have more eyes on the code than FreeBSD? Yet WireGuard got caught before going into FreeBSD, whereas this appears to have gone in without much review because it was committed by someone working at Samsung, which is part of the Linux Foundation.

RFC2324 posted:

Drugs has always been my theory
I just had a mental image of Mr. X pouring in drugs to make Linux, rather than The Powerpuff Girls - and yeah, that seems to track.

Splicer posted:

Compromising security, can't you read?
It's doing a good job of it according to the LWN article linked above, too.

Cup Runneth Over posted:

kill six million billion daemons
:ohdear:

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

klosterdev posted:

Joke's on me for being too lazy to change away from lastpass https://blog-lastpass-com.cdn.amppr...ity-incident%2F

Can someone smart tell me why 1Password isn't susceptible/is more secure than LastPass? I still use and pay for 1Password but out of habit/inertia at this point.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Boris Galerkin posted:

Can someone smart tell me why 1Password isn't susceptible/is more secure than LastPass? I still use and pay for 1Password but out of habit/inertia at this point.

Competence, mostly.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Really looking forward to changing all the drat passwords because my husband didn't follow suit when I migrated everything to 1password.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

lastpass doesn't have anything particular wrong with it (other than the unencrypted url thing, i guess). but the quantity of incidents and vulnerabilities they've had, their lackluster response to remediation, and the fact that they don't seem to be getting better over time made a lot of people switch. it's not an architectural or technical issue - it's an organizational one

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Boris Galerkin posted:

It's best to remember that things that get put in the butt should have a flared base, because the corollary to that is that things that don't have a flared base shouldn't be put in the butt.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Use self hosted buttwarden, get compromised that way

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
That or use Keepass and keep it to yourself.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Boris Galerkin posted:

secret key

1Password never gets your secret key, so there's an extra 128bits of entropy for your vaults when stored on their servers

you need both the secret key and the password to unlock a vault, so attacking their servers would basically be pointless

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Buff Hardback posted:

secret key

1Password never gets your secret key, so there's an extra 128bits of entropy for your vaults when stored on their servers

you need both the secret key and the password to unlock a vault, so attacking their servers would basically be pointless
LastPass works the same way. The password vault is just an encrypted blob from the standpoint of their servers. If you ignore the years of incompetence, on paper they're doing all the same things as anyone else in the space. They just have a long history of doing those things worse than everyone else.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

From the description of the breach all the data about what site the password is for is in the clear, so you can at least get a list of all the services that someone used.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

wolrah posted:

LastPass works the same way. The password vault is just an encrypted blob from the standpoint of their servers. If you ignore the years of incompetence, on paper they're doing all the same things as anyone else in the space. They just have a long history of doing those things worse than everyone else.

no? the only thing needed to decrypt your lastpass vault is your password, 1p requires both your password and secret key

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Buff Hardback posted:

no? the only thing needed to decrypt your lastpass vault is your password, 1p requires both your password and secret key
It's been a LONG time since I used LastPass but I'm almost 100% certain that it at least allows the vault to be protected by a key that's separate from the login to the sync service.

I definitely would not put it past them to have some poor UI design or intentional dark patterns that encourage users to make them the same though.

If I'm misremembering and they really don't even offer that capability then they're even worse than I thought.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Hey goons. I came over from the C++ thread. Copy-paste of my question follows.

quote:

This is gonna start out sounding incredibly paranoid. Whether or not it remains looking incredibly paranoid by the end, we'll see.

There's a ReShade fork out there called GShade. (Reshade is written in C++, so that's why I'm starting here.) It lauds itself as the superior option over everything else. ReShade is open under a BSD license, but GShade claims some parts are closed-source.

GShade does a weird thing: It has a version check functionality. So when it hooks into whatever game you may be playing, it is dialling up duckduckgo to check for a connection, and then dialling up github to check for the latest version, and if it finds a new version, shuts itself off.

It's a loving post process injector. Fine, sure, I'm sure there's nothing inherently malicious about a version check, but even after having been asked for multiple years now, for an option for it to not disable itself upon finding a new version, or explaining the reasoning behind it, the dev(s) have been incredibly recalcitrant and closed-lipped. Again, for years now. The last time I thought about this was about four years ago, before the cryptoboom, COVID, and silicon shortage, and my 1070 blew up, and I couldn't play games while running Reshade anymore. I only remembered about it again because someone I share a discord with asked if their tone had been overly hostile when feature requesting a "do not check version" toggle like I had several years earlier, only to get the exact same snippy response with zero explanation.

The behaviour itself is not unlike devs and maintainers of other code projects. But the combination of closed-source, and an unwillingness to answer questions over an extended period of time... makes ME suspicious, and I wonder why aren't OTHER people also suspicious.

Can anyone point me in the direction of the thread I should be asking this? This is way outside of my wheelhouse and based entirely on nothing but paranoia.

edit: right, the question, sorry. Does this strike anyone else as weird, and maybe have the skills and/or tools to examine it for the greater good?

You'd think they'd put it in a FAQ somewhere, but four years on, they haven't addressed it on their website at all.

But again, this is just a post-process injector. There aren't, or shouldn't be, any manner of functionality that pose any kind of risk or security exploit such that warrants "NO, YOU CANNOT HAVE INCREASED COLOR SATURATION OR GAUSSIAN BLUR BECAUSE THERE IS A NEW VERSION. GO DOWNLOAD IT."

I dunno. I got worries there's a bitcoin miner or DDOS botnet functionality or something, because of how secretive and hostile the dev(s) are.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

no, it’s not a sign of anything but people who want their product to work one way and have a lot of people complaining about it

but if you’re worried about it harming you, why not use ReShade or just live without the extra saturation? it seems like even the slightest suspicion outweighs the significance of the functionality

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Well now you've got me wanting to run GShade through IDA Pro, thanks.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Kazinsal posted:

Well now you've got me wanting to run GShade through IDA Pro, thanks.

Please and thank you?

Like, this is the person I mentioned's screenshot of them asking. I asked as much four years earlier, and got almost exactly the same response back.

A FAQ entry is *the least* they could do.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I have no idea what gshade is but based on that short conversation I totally see where the developers are coming from. Sketchy sure but also understandable.

E: think of it like this:

- online game gets updated to detect poo poo like this better

- gshade gets updated to evade said detections

- user didn’t upgrade and gets banned from said game and starts up a storm blaming gshade for getting them banned

edit2:

Or even for offline games where there is zero risk of being banned for using this, without a version check every time a game gets updated and breaks gshade a ton of users are going to go complain about gshade breaking their game. That conversation you posted makes it sound like this has happened enough times that the (unpaid?) developer(s) just said gently caress it we’re doing this our way.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Dec 25, 2022

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009
Long time lastpass user, decided it's time to change to something else since I'm going to be changing all my passwords anyways after this last incident. What's the alternative of choice? I see 1password mentioned a lot, as well as bitwarden. Security is always key, but UI/simplicity is also since my wife is not going to go jump through hurdles to both get passwords set up and fill in( with lastpass she can just use her fingerprint and it all just works automatically), so things like local storage only/no cloud/etc. are overkill for my purposes.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

1password

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

I just started a vaultwarden instance up and couldn't be enjoying it more.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
Keeper

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

My password manager opinions:

If you want free: Bitwarden is the only option
If you want to pay: 1Password has more creature comforts than Bitwarden does (SSH key agent, a full 1Password experience in Safari on iOS that's exactly like the desktop web extension, better UI, plus the Secret Key)

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009
Thanks! Tried 1Password but not off to a reassuring start. did the free trial for the family subscription, and an hour later it logs me out automatically and doesn't accept my master password anymore (I know, make sure it's the right password, it most definitely is), so not only can I not get in after transitioning everything over, but I can't even cancel my subscription or delete all THOSE passwords and my credit card from my account.

Edit: Even if I wanted to try 1password again, I can't because there's already an account with my e-mail.

Double edit: walked through some support threads on reddit and found how to delete my account.

PageMaster fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Dec 26, 2022

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
KeePass and a synced database

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

CommieGIR posted:

KeePass and a synced database

If OP is struggling with 1Password setup this is not a more user friendly option. Maybe try Bitwarden to see if it's more intuitive.

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009

Ynglaur posted:

If OP is struggling with 1Password setup this is not a more user friendly option. Maybe try Bitwarden to see if it's more intuitive.

Basically yeah, I could probably figure it out, but I need something my wife would be able to maintain/manage without me once I've got it running. Maybe the most secure setup is to have randomly generated passwords for all my websites that even I don't know and reset my password everytime I want to log in (which is basically where I am right now until I get another password manager set up...)

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

PageMaster posted:

Basically yeah, I could probably figure it out, but I need something my wife would be able to maintain/manage without me once I've got it running. Maybe the most secure setup is to have randomly generated passwords for all my websites that even I don't know and reset my password everytime I want to log in (which is basically where I am right now until I get another password manager set up...)

For what it’s worth, once you get set, 1Password should be pretty set it and forget it.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

PageMaster posted:

Thanks! Tried 1Password but not off to a reassuring start. did the free trial for the family subscription, and an hour later it logs me out automatically and doesn't accept my master password anymore (I know, make sure it's the right password, it most definitely is), so not only can I not get in after transitioning everything over, but I can't even cancel my subscription or delete all THOSE passwords and my credit card from my account.

Edit: Even if I wanted to try 1password again, I can't because there's already an account with my e-mail.

Double edit: walked through some support threads on reddit and found how to delete my account.

I've never heard of someone having this much trouble with 1password. Even my senior citizen mom could set it up.

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

Ynglaur posted:

If the problem is with making an account then KeePassXC could actually be an easier option if they already have dropbox or google drive or similar installed. Just put the file there, and I think auto save and auto reload are on by default.

It's true that original KeePass has that ridiculous trigger system to set up.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

CLAM DOWN posted:

I've never heard of someone having this much trouble with 1password. Even my senior citizen mom could set it up.

Yeah, don't forget to print and fill out your emergency kit PageMaster

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Yeah, don't forget to print and fill out your emergency kit PageMaster

cannot stress this enough

if you lose all of your devices and don't have an emergency kit saved with your secret key, you are completely 100% out of luck, they can't recover your account