Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Bucnasti posted:

Conversations with designers who actually worked on it.

DnD has always suffered because it's business model sucks. You can't get rich selling three books to 20% of your audience. WotC has been trying to find ways to make real money (ie on the scale of MtG) off of DnD since they bought TSR. in the mid 2000's Wizkids was killing it with blind reveal miniatures for Mage Knight and Heroclicks, WotC wanted some of that pie and saw it as a way to make DnD profitable. We were doing the same thing at Blizzard with Upper Deck and the WoW minis game.

Thing was there was this little thing called the 2008 financial crisis, which not only tanked consumer spending but increased costs of production, destroying the margin on little plastic monsters coming from China. With out the revenue stream from minis, WoTC couldn't afford to make big investments into 4e like they had planned. Combined with the general backlash against 4e from the established players and it went into a death spiral.

4e with a perfect storm of many individual well intentioned and thought out decisions that when combined became a horrible clusterfuck.
Assuming we take this at face value, what parts of 4E's game mechanics were directly affected by this? Why could they not also do this with blind bags of 3.x goblins?

e: Are you confusing 4E the RPG and the 4E-ish minis skirmish game that used sufficiently different rules that the monster boxes needed to contain different stats for each?

Splicer fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Dec 22, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

There was a 3rd ed adjacent skirmish system that was made as a tie in for blind bag 3.x goblins. Heck it was better designed than base 3.x.

3rd ed also did metaplot stuff with forgotten realms and bad to mediocre tie in novels to try to recapture the sales of AD&Ds FR novels.

4th edition being designed from the ground up to sell minis is dubious, but WotC has been pretty consistently looking for ways to make D&D more profitable. Which didn't really happened until Critical Role and similar free advertisements showed up for them.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Terrible Opinions posted:

There was a 3rd ed adjacent skirmish system that was made as a tie in for blind bag 3.x goblins. Heck it was better designed than base 3.x.

3rd ed also did metaplot stuff with forgotten realms and bad to mediocre tie in novels to try to recapture the sales of AD&Ds FR novels.

4th edition being designed from the ground up to sell minis is dubious, but WotC has been pretty consistently looking for ways to make D&D more profitable. Which didn't really happened until Critical Role and similar free advertisements showed up for them.

I don’t even buy that any of edition of D&D has had a stated design goal that was than followed through on.

That alone would be completely unprecedented before we get into this Alex Jones level hypothesis about what the goal was and how it’s supported by “yeah someone told me this, a real person who worked on this, I promise. Also I’m going to immediately change topics right after this.”

Yeah, sure thing.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

I don't think it was ever a stated design goal. Just after each edition releases and sales past the core book drop they look for other ways to make money. I don't think it's Alex Jones to say that the miniatures handbook was made to try to get D&D players to pick up the skirmish game, or that every other Forgotten Realms book mentioning the War of the Spider Queen novels was an attempt to sell books.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

PurpleXVI posted:

4e impressed me by somehow having worse feats than 3e. In 3e I could more or less always find a feat that sounded cool or mechanically useful(even if only marginally), in 4e I just looked at the list of feats and regularly couldn't think of anything to pick. It was just such an insanely dull list that very rarely ever gave you interesting new options or changed how your class played. It was like they decided that the "get a +1 to a thing"-type of feats from 3e was what everyone wanted more of.

Hmm, I agree that 4e feats were "worse" as in worse for the game, but that's because of how much better and more appealing they were to take (and how many of them you got). 3e feats were mostly bad except for the occasional insane no-brainers like Natural Spell or various metamagic, and I guess the super proscribed fighter feat chains. 4e feats had some dull as dishwater math fixes but also a lot of dramatic concept- or build- enabling special qualities like Wintertouched or the Vistani ____ line or what have you. A big pain point of 4e was wanting to grab that cool stuff but having to eat your vegetables and buy Implement Proficiency: Accurate Orb first.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Terrible Opinions posted:

I don't think it was ever a stated design goal. Just after each edition releases and sales past the core book drop they look for other ways to make money. I don't think it's Alex Jones to say that the miniatures handbook was made to try to get D&D players to pick up the skirmish game, or that every other Forgotten Realms book mentioning the War of the Spider Queen novels was an attempt to sell books.

Yes it gets much more reasonable when you reverse the causal relationship like a non-crazy person.

But then that wouldn’t be what Bucnasti said.

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Oba-Ma... Oba-Ma! Oba-Ma, aasha deh!

Splicer posted:

I know I keep saying this but they should have called Martial powers "Feats".

Martial powers are called "Exploits," in contrast to arcane powers (spells), divine powers (prayers), etc. It's right there in the core, but the flavor of each kind of powers is very loosely sketched outside of the various Power-themed splatbooks, and there's not much mechanical weight to the distinctions in gameplay.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

gtrmp posted:

Martial powers are called "Exploits," in contrast to arcane powers (spells), divine powers (prayers), etc. It's right there in the core, but the flavor of each kind of powers is very loosely sketched outside of the various Power-themed splatbooks, and there's not much mechanical weight to the distinctions in gameplay.
Oh I know, but it would mean 4E's a feat every 2 levels thing might not have happened and more importantly "Fighter feats are just spells now" is a different, harder to argue and soundbite piece of disingenuous grog bullshit than "Everyone's a wizard!".

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
"Ah, 75+ new posts in TG chat overnight - either hyphz posted something, or someone said the words 'Fourth Edition', time to find out which one." TG is the last bastion of 4e love on the internet, I get it, but folks, you've had this exact same conversation every 3 months for the last decade.

In an effort to spark discussion about literally anything else and maybe get people to think about a game that isn't 4e for five seconds, here's a thing: someone claims to have done an analysis of every "OSR and OSR-adjacent" game (including all of the editions of D&D) and created a visualization of how their rules relate to one another, forming what they call Rules Families. There's definitely room for refinement in their methodology, but it's interesting to see how the genetics of these games flow into one another.

Btw, it's important to read to the very end of that document before forming a hot take, because the author makes two major updates to their methodology and results which get posted at the end.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

My little brother discovered the joke space marine chapter "pretty marines" and asked me to make and paint him some, sounds fun so I want to make it a late christmas present for him.

Problem is it looks like pretty marines have pretty anime guy faces, does anyone know where I might find some 28mm pretty anime guy heads? Or an STL file or something? I can't find poo poo.

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017

Kestral posted:

Btw, it's important to read to the very end of that document before forming a hot take, because the author makes two major updates to their methodology and results which get posted at the end.
I wish the author had bothered to list which games are in which category, instead of only presenting that information as a graph with abbreviations that have to be decoded via a separate key.

OSR Rules Families posted:

Yet something important to keep in mind is that these categories are not ultimately expressive of each individual ruleset. Categories in themselves are abstractions which elide qualities of things not considered by those categories. We have seen how much variation there is within each of these groups, like the splitting of the Modern D&D-Likes or the expansive hacks of Into the Odd. Moreover, the statistical analysis of each of these texts has reduced them into (literally) a bunch of ones and zeroes. This does not tell you anything about how well-written the text is, what varieties of characters exist, or what toys you can play with. Even on a formal level, the data matrix does not and cannot tell you specifically what defines each individual ruleset.
I really don't think you can call Lamentations a "Faithful D&D Like". It apes the older editions mechanically, but there are some deliberate omissions that dramatically change the way you use the book. Lamentations has no monsters, treasure tables or dungeon stocking procedures in the rules book. The 0E and Basic books were toolkits for the DM to build their own dungeons and adventures. The Lamentations book was written for use with the author's line of pre-baked grindhouse horror adventures, and pretty useless for creating your own content. I bring this up because Lamentations was the first "retroclone" I ever ran, and it really wasn't a good representative of the genre. Especially compared with recent offerings like Old School Essentials.

When I heard the premise of this post I was expecting something similar to the BRP family tree, actually plotting the line of inspiration the designers followed rather than tabulating mechanical similarities.

Although looking at it now, this approach is also flawed, on some level it has to be based on anecdotes and eyeballed comparisons. For example they list the Delta Green standalone as based on Call of Cthulhu 6e. This is a reasonable assumption since the original Delta Green was a CoC splat, but the DG standalone engine is actually a fork of Mongoose's Legend rules (which you can see a little further down the image).

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Xiahou Dun posted:

O so your source is “trust me, my uncle works for Nintendo”.

Well then I totally trust you.

I dislike namedropping, but since you insist.
I was a licensed product developer for Blizzard in 2008-2010, we interviewed Mike Donais, the design lead on the Miniatures game and part of the design team on 4e for a designer position on our team, his brother Jeff was my boss (we got the lesser brother, Mike was a better designer than Jeff was a boss). While in town he ran some 4e for us, showed us all the cool digital GM tools (monster builders, map makers, encounter designers)they developed and lamented about how they'd never see the light of day because WotC couldn't get their poo poo together. Mike eventually went to be the lead designer on the WoW TCG when Cryptozoic took it over.

I was on the WoW miniatures game, we had the same problems with cost of materials and the game (and most of the product category) was dead by the time it hit the shelves.

Or you know I could be making all this poo poo up and just be a truck driver from Lafayette who's hobby is trolling tabletop nerds on a stupid dead internet forum.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Anybody who thinks 4e is like WoW hasn't played either

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
I had an interesting discussion recently about the extent to which 4e does or doesn't allow for creative problem solving and/or furnish you with "real" powers and spells as opposed to abstract combat buttons which not only can not but in fact must not be allowed to have narrative effects extrapolated from their descriptions rather than do exactly what they say on the box and nothing more. A lot of 4e's detractor but also a nonzero number of its fans believe that 4e's combat takes place in a VR world in which everything's a glowing wireframe with no properties except those explicitly coded into it, such that underbrush can't be lit on fire, walls can't be knocked down, etc.

So here's the same spell in 4e and 3.5e, with special rules relevant to the 3.5e version included (it's what you get if you follow the "Figment" hyperlink):

What strikes me about these is that the spells are like 98% identical in their actual narrative effect. Obviously they have slightly different sizes and durations, but they have the same basic in-combat and out-of-combat use cases. There's one salient difference in the operation of the magic itself: the 3.5e wall only gives you a will save to disbelieve it if you examine it closely but won't stop you from walking straight through, while the 4e wall gives you a will save to disbelieve once you get sufficiently close but prevents you from walking through until you pass that save. We could imagine a game in which both spells exist side-by-side, with one representing a more complete but "brittle" illusion than the other; the 4e-style wall totally fools your senses and proprioception such that even drumming up the courage to run face-first through the wall (feeling all the while like you're about to just hit your head) is a test of your willpower.

Now, it's a fact of life in the RPG business that special powers are often going to have the most exacting rules detail when those powers pertain to combat because combat tends to have the highest stakes; yeah, yeah, it's pretty obvious how a hologram works, but what happens if I conjure one right in front of someone trying to shoot me? But both editions devote most of their spells' wordcount to solving those exact questions. For each power, we're immediately learning casting time down to the atomic game action, maximum dimensions, saving throw/non-AC defense checked, consequences on line of sight, etc. So what is it about the 4e-style wall that made a lot of people feel like they just weren't allowed to deploy it creatively or that somehow wasn't a "real" illusion, if that phrasing makes sense? Part of it's probably because it's missing all the fiddly extra rules about illusion magic generally, the specific properties of "figments", and the general rules for "rolling to disbelieve" that exist elsewhere in the 3.5e book, even though a lot of that stuff is in fact condensed into and implicit within the 4e wall (e.g. like a "figment", it becomes see-through once it fails to overcome your will).

But that level of detail isn't actually incompatible with 4e. The only problem is page space. We can imagine a 4th edition in which every power and spell was lovingly detailed with a bunch of hypotheticals and explanations (mention of fireballs igniting combustible material, cones of cold freezing water so that it becomes walkable, warlord oversight accelerating the pace of manual labor, etc) exceeeept that'd cost you page space. If you want to double the text packed into every wizard power on average, what do you cut out1? A 4e that literally only contained Fighter, Rogue, Cleric, and Wizard but that lovingly detailed all the possible use cases and incidental environmental effects of each power those classes had would be an interesting thought experiment but, you know, a lot of people like warlords and warlocks and so on.

Another thing is, a lot of games have illusion powers which don't require this level of exacting detail. Like, here's all you need to know if you want to create an illusory wall in Vampire: the Masquerade:

(There's a second power that's like one sentence long that specifies it lets you create an illusion fooling multiple senses - e.g. a wall that feels like brick if you just brush your hand against it) but is still nonsolid)

This probably gives you less detail than the 4e version of the power, but I think because there's no background cultural expectation of ruthless, legalistic bean-counting for the sake of ekeing out every tiny advantage, or of adversarial GMing that calls on players to cite chapter and verse to prove that they're allowed to get out of some jam or other, there's no actual reason to go to the trouble. I think one of the problems plaguing D&D specifically is that there's an expected level of antagonistic rules exegesis that you don't see in many other games and that has haunted D&D from edition to edition. Take this example from 3.5E (I've cut the spell level, range, duration, etc. stuff for space but they're all just reflex saves vs. fire damage):

My question to you is: does Scorching Ray set things on fire? Can you burn down a barn with Scorching Ray? It doesn't say it ignites combustibles, while a lot of other fire spells do... maybe it can't, because it's like a high-intensity short-duration laser. But then, it's a fiery ray. But then, the "Flaming Weapon" magic item says that it adds 1d6 fire damage on a hit but also neglects to mention that ignites things, so maybe I can start a campfire with Burning Hands but not with Scorching Ray or my +1 Flaming Longsword?

I think in most games this would be a ridiculous question, but in the context of D&D I actually do find myself wondering if maybe, just maybe, there's a real and intended game-mechanical difference between incendiary and non-incendiary fire. And this has carried on all the way to 5th edition, where we're doing Biblical exegesis on whether a Melee Weapon Attack is the same as an Attack with a Melee Weapon.

1. The fighter's and rogue's powers in their entirety, of course!

Ferrinus fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Dec 23, 2022

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
I mean, the bigger complaint there would be the bit about "it lasts until the end of your next turn". Which makes it useless outside of combat, since a wall lasting for 6 seconds won't make any difference outside of combat timing. This was the bigger complaint - the scaling down of many utility spells in this way.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

hyphz posted:

I mean, the bigger complaint there would be the bit about "it lasts until the end of your next turn". Which makes it useless outside of combat, since a wall lasting for 6 seconds won't make any difference outside of combat timing. This was the bigger complaint - the scaling down of many utility spells in this way.

It's Sustain Minor, so as long as you concentrate it'll last... uh, I forget, I think the "encounter" duration might default to 5 or 10 minutes out of combat proper?

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017

Runa posted:

Anybody who thinks 4e is like WoW hasn't played either
I think "4e is like an MMO" started when Wizards went out of their way to advertise the game to MMO players as similar to MMOs.

Can't find these last two in a decent resolution

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
That logo looks like it dates the advertisement to 3e

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017

gradenko_2000 posted:

That logo looks like it dates the advertisement to 3e
drat he's right.

I always think of WoW as coming out around 2007 or 8, but it was actually 04.

trapstar
Jun 30, 2012

Yo tengo un par de ideas.
Would "Ma Baker" (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8NcQzMQN_U) and her sons be a good concept for the basis of villains in a campaign?

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

hyphz posted:

For example, there's a huge range of initial general and ancestry feats you could take, but if there's any optimization going on it's going to be hard to beat taking Adopted Ancestry (Dwarf) and Unburdened Iron. Unburdened Iron lets you wear armor with no decrease to speed, which is a huge deal. It's normally a Dwarf feat, but taking Adopted Ancestry lets you take it as any other Ancestry. And then the GM has to somehow work into the backstory why it is that everyone in the party has adopted Dwarven culture as their own. The optimal PF2e fighter is a human assimilated into Dwarven culture and trained by Gnomes.

why trained by gnomes?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

trapstar posted:

Would "Ma Baker" (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8NcQzMQN_U) and her sons be a good concept for the basis of villains in a campaign?

If you want a good fictional version watch the second season of Justified. But to answer that, yes.

trapstar
Jun 30, 2012

Yo tengo un par de ideas.

Dawgstar posted:

If you want a good fictional version watch the second season of Justified. But to answer that, yes.

Sounds interesting.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

thatbastardken posted:

why trained by gnomes?

It's for the hats.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Ferrinus posted:

It's Sustain Minor, so as long as you concentrate it'll last... uh, I forget, I think the "encounter" duration might default to 5 or 10 minutes out of combat proper?

5 minutes, the end of combat, or whenever it's narratively appropriate for the encounter to end.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

thatbastardken posted:

why trained by gnomes?

The existence of the Gnome Flickmace as a weapon in the corebook.

As a weapon that's both Advanced and Uncommon, you need a Gnome feat to be able to not just wield it, but easily be able to buy one too.

Weapons in PF2e all have a 'critical specialization' effect that occurs on a crit if you have the CritSpec class feature (or a feat that gives you it).
The Flail weapon group has one of the best CritSpec effects - it knocks the enemy prone, meaning they both need to spend an action to stand up, and they also count as flat-footed until they're up, lowering their AC for your allies.

The Flickmace is a Flail that also has Reach, very useful in general. This makes the flickmace the 'best' melee weapon.

In practice, while the reach is good, the critical effect happens rarely enough (crits happen in PF2e both on a natural 20, and also when you beat the difficulty by 10 or more) that it's a nice bonus but hardly something that breaks the game.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Not gonna lie, if a player came to me and said "my dude is a human, raised by dwarves, who spent years in Gnometown learning the art of the yo-yo mace," rad, I'm using all of that. If the entire party has that backstory? Congratulations, the campaign is now about saving an embattled svirfneblin community from ravaging duergar pikemen who are ancient enemies of both your adopted clan and of your gnomish martial arts school. Hope you all signed up for gnome wuxia!!

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Antivehicular posted:

Not gonna lie, if a player came to me and said "my dude is a human, raised by dwarves, who spent years in Gnometown learning the art of the yo-yo mace," rad, I'm using all of that. If the entire party has that backstory? Congratulations, the campaign is now about saving an embattled svirfneblin community from ravaging duergar pikemen who are ancient enemies of both your adopted clan and of your gnomish martial arts school. Hope you all signed up for gnome wuxia!!
Sukegnome Deka

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

PurpleXVI posted:

The land is suffering under the cultural plague of dwarven weebs. Dweebs, one might call them. They insist on digging holes everywhere, wearing long fake beards and filling their rooms with wall scrolls depicting pickaxes and mugs of frothing beer.

Don't forget shouting out Rock and Stone at every opportunity

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

drrockso20 posted:

Don't forget shouting out Rock and Stone at every opportunity

Did I hear a Rock and Stone?

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

PurpleXVI posted:

The land is suffering under the cultural plague of dwarven weebs. Dweebs, one might call them. They insist on digging holes everywhere, wearing long fake beards and filling their rooms with wall scrolls depicting pickaxes and mugs of frothing beer.

The dwarf is looking at the mugs of frothing beer. The dwarf is screaming.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

The wallscroll menaces with spikes of dolomite

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Ferrinus posted:

Encounter is purely how long until you can cast it again, it isn't a duration except for things that say "last until the end of the encounter". That wall will last until you stop sustaining it, and after 5 minutes you can pop up another wall and sustain it with a crunched move action, and 5 minutes later a third wall sustained with your crunched action.

Presumably falling asleep turns them all off.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

PinheadSlim posted:

My little brother discovered the joke space marine chapter "pretty marines" and asked me to make and paint him some, sounds fun so I want to make it a late christmas present for him.

Problem is it looks like pretty marines have pretty anime guy faces, does anyone know where I might find some 28mm pretty anime guy heads? Or an STL file or something? I can't find poo poo.

Not sure of any downloads but maybe an elf head with the ears sanded down?

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Wrestlepig posted:

Not sure of any downloads but maybe an elf head with the ears sanded down?

This is clever! Thanks much.

edit : Already found some, they look anime as gently caress. Thanks again!

Punkinhead fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Dec 23, 2022

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Nice. Gonna post a pic of the finished product?

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Leraika posted:

Nice. Gonna post a pic of the finished product?

:hai: Most definitely. Better start practicing my free hand roses

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

PinheadSlim posted:

This is clever! Thanks much.

edit : Already found some, they look anime as gently caress. Thanks again!

lmao holy poo poo the bowl cut elf

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

bewilderment posted:

The Flickmace is a Flail that also has Reach, very useful in general. This makes the flickmace the 'best' melee weapon.

In practice, while the reach is good, the critical effect happens rarely enough (crits happen in PF2e both on a natural 20, and also when you beat the difficulty by 10 or more) that it's a nice bonus but hardly something that breaks the game.

Hehehe. Hehehehehehehe. Ew boy.

Ok, remember the paragon of balance that was the Spiked Chain from 3e? That's the Gnome Flickmace. The key with Reach is that it lets a PC AoO anyone moving to engage you in melee, because they're "leaving" the square 10' away. If you manage to crit, then they're knocked prone and their Move action ends, and they're more or less screwed. If they stand up, they're still out of range, so they either have to disengage or let their turn be Move->Stand->Move (you get 3 general actions in PF2e) with no attack. If they crawl in to attack, they'll get one attack at a penalty. Either way, the PC will respond Attack->Attack->Attack. Giving that to an opponent in PF2e is a baad mistake. And that's without the advantage of knocking an opponent down in regular melee.

"But it's only on a crit, right?" I'm sure that's what Paizo were thinking when they came up with these rules, but it ain't so. You can crit by beating the difficulty by 10 or more. The Fighter has an inherent bonus that gives them +2 to attack compared to every other class, even other martials. With three attacks, the chance to crit is much higher. There is a penalty for making multiple attacks in a turn, but Fighters also get Double Slice, which removes that penalty on the second attack. So at the very least they're critting twice as often as typical. Throw in bard songs, other bonus stacking, and ability to get more reactions and thus more AoOs and at the higher levels they can end up with a +10 to the baseline.

Of course, there's no sign of a fix. Of course, the wildly varying difficulty levels of APs mean that just banning this ends up with the party feeling ineffective. But there will never not be another AP, so for me this is gaming now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

hyphz posted:

If I wanted to be That Player, I'd argue that it'd last indefinitely, until I got into combat and took a turn.