Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How much longer is Twitter going to last?
A few weeks
A few months
A few years
About as long as the rest of humanity
View Results

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

So, it's looking like the market has seen thru Musk's charade of claiming to quit Twitter: since the poll, Tesla stock has stabilized for a day, then begin falling when people realize he's not resigning as CEO, at which point it begins to fall again. He said he'd resign if he found a suitable replacement Tuesday after it tumbled from $150 to the $130s and it was calm until today, where it's at the $120s.

We'll be under $100 a share by the end of the year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I've got it: SA should join the Fediverse.

Bring back the webring.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

https://twitter.com/aridrennen/status/1605980787618484224?s=46&t=MC1R2AdgJ-LkfxLV9vI4Ag

Nice

Stock has been down a bunch today alone

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019

FlamingLiberal posted:

Nice

Stock has been down a bunch today alone

It was always a bubble meme stock. But people have poured so many billions into it that, in spite of everything, he managed to build a car company. Maybe we'll get to see how it works when he doesn't have an infinite free cash firehose jammed up his rear end.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
It's kinda sad that Tesla's value is crashing because of extremely online meltdowns and not because the cars are poorly built and their banner feature is that they love to cause accidents

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

haveblue posted:

It's kinda sad that Tesla's value is crashing because of extremely online meltdowns and not because the cars are poorly built and their banner feature is that they love to cause accidents
Stock has been going down for over a year now, it’s just accelerated since he took over Twitter

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
What happens when you build a company funded on a cult of personality surrounding the CEO who then turns out to be a a real scummy person who can't stop Tweeting?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I'm also a little surprised SpaceX seems to have escaped the meltdown. Guessing that's because they have all-but-guaranteed government funding and a record of real technical achievements

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

SpaceX is backstopped and largely funded by the government because it's constrained in the sense that it actually needs to put out products that work, Tesla and so many others were basically just byproducts of a decade of infinite free money for speculation by the stupidest and most venal people you could hope to imagine. The former will be fine, the latter will be hosed. Or I guess we're all going to be hosed to protect the stupid and venal people and stop people asking why we did exactly gently caress all but screw ourselves with such a historic opportunity.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

haveblue posted:

I'm also a little surprised SpaceX seems to have escaped the meltdown. Guessing that's because they have all-but-guaranteed government funding and a record of real technical achievements

SpaceX isn't a public company. Like Twitter under Elon, it's privately owned and isn't on the stock market.

T Zero
Sep 26, 2005
When the enemy is in range, so are you

It's hard to overstate how extraordinarily overvalued their stock has been:

Toyota, the worlds largest carmaker, delivering 9 million cars per year, has a P/E of 9

Tesla, 500k cars per year, had a P/E of 40 (until recently, lol)

Those short-sellers must be making a killing.

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019

haveblue posted:

SpaceX is burning a couple of billion per year. They raised 2.4 billion this year and 2.2 billion last year. Again - it works as long as people continue to throw money at Musk.

If Starship or Starlink turns out to be duds SpaceX will crater albeit there will still be business with the Falcon 9. The commercial/government launch market just isn't that big and the F9 targets the least profitable segment so there won't be the kind of growth that allows you to raise infinite cash.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Epic High Five posted:

SpaceX is backstopped and largely funded by the government because it's constrained in the sense that it actually needs to put out products that work, Tesla and so many others were basically just byproducts of a decade of infinite free money for speculation by the stupidest and most venal people you could hope to imagine. The former will be fine, the latter will be hosed. Or I guess we're all going to be hosed to protect the stupid and venal people and stop people asking why we did exactly gently caress all but screw ourselves with such a historic opportunity.

Another major element of SpaceX is that as far as I can tell its management has been able to keep Musk at arm's length and from turbofucking things with his cretinous whims and decrees on this or that aspect of company management, and basically only let him in the building to watch the pretty rockets go up. I have to wonder if they will be able to continue to do so if his other businesses continue to tank and he decides to pull from their resources to try to patch the holes in Twitter's load-bearing drywall or Tesla's firetruck attraction software.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Owling Howl posted:

SpaceX is burning a couple of billion per year. They raised 2.4 billion this year and 2.2 billion last year. Again - it works as long as people continue to throw money at Musk.

If Starship or Starlink turns out to be duds SpaceX will crater albeit there will still be business with the Falcon 9. The commercial/government launch market just isn't that big and the F9 targets the least profitable segment so there won't be the kind of growth that allows you to raise infinite cash.

Luckily there's always good business in blowing up sheet metal water towers with rocket engines duct taped to them. Space X shall live

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Main Paineframe posted:

SpaceX isn't a public company. Like Twitter under Elon, it's privately owned and isn't on the stock market.

Ah, I never knew that. Also explains why there was minimal pushback on “I’m going to spend billions to build the biggest rocket ever and make myself king of mars”

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Popete posted:

What happens when you build a company funded on a cult of personality surrounding the CEO who then turns out to be a a real scummy person who can't stop Tweeting?

The trump administration.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Musk did a Twitter Spaces event with Tesla investors and holy poo poo is it something else

(Thread)

https://twitter.com/williamlegate/status/1606058459568279552?s=46&t=VVnSKVQcGEs8-u6TNrdyVg

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

FlamingLiberal posted:

Musk did a Twitter Spaces event with Tesla investors and holy poo poo is it something else

(Thread)

https://twitter.com/williamlegate/status/1606058459568279552?s=46&t=VVnSKVQcGEs8-u6TNrdyVg

lol he is very mad about losing his own popularity poll

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
Critical to what, massive losses? Who does this guy think he's kidding?

Mercury_Storm posted:

code:

INVESTORS!!! We will be doing a lot of dumb things in the coming months!!
           /   

Mercury_Storm fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Dec 23, 2022

tecnocrat
Oct 5, 2003
Struggling to keep his sanity.

FlamingLiberal posted:

(Thread)

Isn't this the kind of thing the SEC has been on his rear end about for years?

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Another major element of SpaceX is that as far as I can tell its management has been able to keep Musk at arm's length and from turbofucking things with his cretinous whims and decrees on this or that aspect of company management, and basically only let him in the building to watch the pretty rockets go up. I have to wonder if they will be able to continue to do so if his other businesses continue to tank and he decides to pull from their resources to try to patch the holes in Twitter's load-bearing drywall or Tesla's firetruck attraction software.

Yeah basically I can imagine that while Tesla is super upset about Musk running off to play with a shiny toy ("Aren't we supposed to be the shiny toy?") SpaceX kind of actively enjoys it as it means less having to deal with having to wave the Executive Laser Pointer around while they build rockets.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

tecnocrat posted:

Isn't this the kind of thing the SEC has been on his rear end about for years?

Pretty much. Musk is somewhat infamous for using his twitter account (and multiple complex bot networks) to keep the valuation of the companies he invests in high through what is probably illegal means. It's a twisted mix of fake grassroots style consensus manufacturing and as he's forced to burn bridges with decent people more and more increasingly appealing to the sort of human beings that'd cheer on the nazis if they were alive back during WW2 to create a perception of success and not being an apartheid D grade wish-he-was-nobility manchild.

Just remember that the guy didn't become a billionaire by following the laws that everyone else follows. And that there is a reason that he keeps getting in trouble with multiple governmental agencies in relation to his twitter feed and off site social activities.

Alternatively, just look at the probable bots on his twitter feed and notice how they're all focused on lavishing praise on him while attacking anyone that criticizes him or pushing his next get rich quick scheme instead of the usual behavior of trolling and being agents of bigotry and discord (they also do this, but directed at trans people and the like since his wife left him for a trans woman and his trans daughter disowned him for his bigotry instead of targeting him for being an apartheid jackass). He's tried to obfuscate this of late (and compensate for losses in other areas) by pulling in even more alt-reich types than usual but it's still there and obvious if you know what to look for.

Unfortunately, he's also got a wonderful set of lawyers that know how to violate the law. Keep in mind that their solar project had a verdict that to sum it up essentially amounted to him getting away with not having to fulfill contractual obligations to customers, so yeah.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Dec 23, 2022

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Archonex posted:

Unfortunately, he's also got a wonderful set of lawyers that know how to violate the law. Keep in mind that their solar project had a verdict that to sum it up essentially amounted to him getting away with not having to fulfill contractual obligations to customers, so yeah.

Also the defamation suit where his lawyers somehow managed to successfully argue that he didn't defame someone by calling them a pedophile, he had simply done a jdart.

a real quote by lawyers posted:

A joke that was badly received, therefore deleted, with an apology and then responsive tweets to move on from the matter. JDart.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

As expected, publicly releasing everyone's analytics just made Elon more depresse seeing everyone look at his poo poo and pass without a like. Also, he has no understanding on what made Twitter work, because it sounds like he just wants to make Facebook.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

New Twitter policy- you auto-like any Tweet you look at

frameset
Apr 13, 2008

FlamingLiberal posted:

New Twitter policy- you auto-like any Tweet you look at

*Any Twitter blue tweet you look at

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Apparently there were more layoffs yesterday, and at least one of them is a top Musk lieutenant

https://twitter.com/Atrios/status/1606347985838751744?s=20&t=6_cW3SRKmBft4kgLyODa5Q

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Archonex posted:

more and more increasingly appealing to the sort of human beings that'd cheer on the nazis if they were alive back during WW2

I'm pretty sure WW2 had plenty of Nazis who were alive. Decreasing over time, sure, but still.

FlamingLiberal posted:

Apparently there were more layoffs yesterday, and at least one of them is a top Musk lieutenant

https://twitter.com/Atrios/status/1606347985838751744?s=20&t=6_cW3SRKmBft4kgLyODa5Q

Knowledge status: Transitioned.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Agents are GO! posted:

I'm pretty sure WW2 had plenty of Nazis who were alive. Decreasing over time, sure, but still.

They just convicted a new one!

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Agents are GO! posted:

Reminds me of a friend I used to have. Seemed like a decent guy, but you'd always notice he'd never really have any "old friends" in his life despite being a very social person.

And then you'd see the few fallings-out with current friends. But you were still cool with him; those other people, it was always a two-way street, they could be dicks too. And you'd see new friends come along. Until it was your turn and he'd pick a huge fight over some stupid nonsense, and the cycle would continue. You might still talk to one or two of the newer people in his social circle, and then find out... oops, they'd got into it with him too, and they're now out!

When you exist in that haze of narcissism, as that guy did, and Trump does, and Musk does, it's only ever a matter of time until your number comes up. You can pretend you're different, and you might outlast the odds, but not forever; because, ultimately, it's not about you or anyone else, it's about the narcissist.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Agents are GO! posted:

Pretty sure most of these boomers and younger alt reich types were not alive however. Which is what I was obviously referring too.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Archonex posted:

Pretty sure most of these boomers and younger alt reich types were not alive however. Which is what I was obviously referring too.

I was making a dumb joke about how "if they were alive back during WW2" is sort of ambiguous about who exactly it's referring to, that's all.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

PT6A posted:

Reminds me of a friend I used to have. Seemed like a decent guy, but you'd always notice he'd never really have any "old friends" in his life despite being a very social person.

And then you'd see the few fallings-out with current friends. But you were still cool with him; those other people, it was always a two-way street, they could be dicks too. And you'd see new friends come along. Until it was your turn and he'd pick a huge fight over some stupid nonsense, and the cycle would continue. You might still talk to one or two of the newer people in his social circle, and then find out... oops, they'd got into it with him too, and they're now out!

When you exist in that haze of narcissism, as that guy did, and Trump does, and Musk does, it's only ever a matter of time until your number comes up. You can pretend you're different, and you might outlast the odds, but not forever; because, ultimately, it's not about you or anyone else, it's about the narcissist.

Fun thing is when years later you hang out with those layers of former friends and it turns out they're a lot easier to get along with when not mediated through an rear end in a top hat vortex.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
One of the reasons it's pointless and impossible to continually appease a narcissist; no matter how useful or pleasant you are to them, eventually they'll find a new shiny toy or have a bad day or just happen to be bored for that particular minute and you happen to be a nearby convenient target.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Fun thing is when years later you hang out with those layers of former friends and it turns out they're a lot easier to get along with when not mediated through an rear end in a top hat vortex.

Absolutely, and you get to share the stories of when you had to save The rear end in a top hat from himself because he was about to get arrested, or punched. We all had a few and as the years went by, I think we all know the majority of everyone else's stories -- and there's some truly deranged poo poo.

I suspect the full stories of men like Trump and Musk will be wilder and worse than anyone thought possible, because they all cycle through enough people that no one knows the full extent of their behaviour.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

One of the reasons it's pointless and impossible to continually appease a narcissist; no matter how useful or pleasant you are to them, eventually they'll find a new shiny toy or have a bad day or just happen to be bored for that particular minute and you happen to be a nearby convenient target.

Yes, exactly. The relationship will end for the stupidest of all possible reasons on the surface, because the real reason is: gently caress you.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Huh, just had a dubious Twitter experience:

Kept getting ads for Paramount+ and Top Gun: Maverick at the top of my feed. Nothing against them, but I clicked on "Not interested in this ad" as a matter of course. Again. And again. But the ad kept reappearing.

So I screencapped the ad and myself clicking "Not interested", then wrote a tweet about how having ads you'll look at whether you want to or not must be new Twitter policy. Clicked on send...

"Tweet not sent. We're sorry, we weren't able to send your tweet."

I have literally never had that error message before, so the timing of its happening on this exact tweet is kinda suspicious!

(Turns out if you screencap your tweet's draft, you can then put that in your next tweet and send it with no trouble whatsoever. Whaddya know?)

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

Wait a sec. I don't know an Old James!

Trillhouse posted:

wtf. he took off for Austin and then... changed his mind?]

https://globe.adsbexchange.com/?icao=a835af

Looks like Musk interrupted his flight home on Xmas Eve to instead pull the plug on the Sacramento data center himself.
I don't know why his family hates him.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Just going around the hq, hacking at cables with a machete, as a good CEO does

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Old James posted:

Looks like Musk interrupted his flight home on Xmas Eve to instead pull the plug on the Sacramento data center himself.
I don't know why his family hates him.

Why would you broadcast that you are unplugging random server racks what the actual gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teratrain
Aug 23, 2007
Waiting for Godot
Anyone who says this is a bad idea is FUDding and anyone who says this is stupid is just a woke lib crying about... Something.