Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I was taking the piss but that's actually a really good explanation for their ultra-moto behaviour and camaraderie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

Does it tickle when your Body Thetans flap their wings, eh Beatrice?
Yeah, supposedly the RDA's security operations take people from various services and countries, even people without prior military experience, but it makes sense that Quaritch has an afinnity for US Marines - like Jake Sully. I'm reminded of Hotel Moscow from Black Lagoon, which primarily recruits former Russian paratroopers.

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

Vir posted:

Yeah, supposedly the RDA's security operations take people from various services and countries, even people without prior military experience, but it makes sense that Quaritch has an afinnity for US Marines - like Jake Sully. I'm reminded of Hotel Moscow from Black Lagoon, which primarily recruits former Russian paratroopers.

RDA paying for copies of people's consciousness to put inside of a vat grown alien on Fiverr.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Mister Speaker posted:

Also, is Alita: Battle Angel worth a watch? When it first came out, I stayed far away because those anime eyes creeped me right out, but if it's dumb fun action like these movies I'll give it a shot.

It's very faithful to the source material, meaning it's unabashedly anime as gently caress lol. Terms like "Panzer Kunst" and "Hunter Warrior" are used in earnest and the film's cast of heavy weights -- Christoph Waltz, Jennifer Connley, Mahershala Ali, and Jackie Earle Haley -- play their character roles completely serious among all the anime-inspired absurdity. Rosa Salazar owns the role of Alita and you really can't help but root for her character throughout the whole thing. It's awesome, but I'm definitely biased lmao.

Do note that there's a YA romance element, which was present in the manga and the movie leans into it fairly hard, so your tolerance for that sort of thing will likely dictate how much you'll enjoy the film. That said, the movie has great VFX and really clean/clear action design; it's one of the better sci-fi actioners of the last decade imo, and it upstages most of the bigger, more mainstream action blockbusters easily. If you've seen Mad Max: Fury Road, it's not as similar but it scratches the same itch (at least for me) and is a decent point of comparison based on their core narrative similarities.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
I’m phoneposting so no link but the song ROLLERBALL is amazing

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.

teagone posted:

If you've seen Mad Max: Fury Road, it's not as similar but it scratches the same itch (at least for me) and is a decent point of comparison based on their core narrative similarities.

Man it's not even in the same ball park as Fury Road. That is easily one of the top 5, probably top 3 action movies ever made. Alita was... OK. Pretty watchable.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

SadisTech posted:

Man it's not even in the same ball park as Fury Road. That is easily one of the top 5, probably top 3 action movies ever made. Alita was... OK. Pretty watchable.

Calm down, lmao. So many people predictably freak out whenever I make that comparison, it's so funny. I never said it was as good. Fury Road is clearly the superior film. I said it scratches the same itch, explicitly for me. There's a difference. Meaning, if you liked Fury Road, Alita shares some plot/setting elements so you might enjoy it based on that.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Kazzah posted:

I’m phoneposting so no link but the song ROLLERBALL is amazing

Hell yeah (the title is actually Motorball, but I got it :cool::respek::cool:)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2K_CzTLFpAA

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

I have a hard time understanding the Fury Road comparison at all. Quality aside, the tone, style, and content are just vastly different. They're both sci-fi, I guess.

Edit: I guess the manga would kinda fit in with Fury Road. It was gritty and brutal and the oppressive cutthroat structures of the crumbling society took the main focus and had real teeth. The movie itself is too YA-ish and has a digital sheen on everything, so both aesthetically and narratively it's too glossy for the comparison to sit right with me. It's closer to a Hunger Games entry than Fury Road, or the manga.

Honestly, between Alita and The Way of Water, I kind of wonder how consciously Cameron is trying to rework those properties into 2000s YA franchise hits like Harry Potter and Hunger Games.

Bugblatter fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Dec 23, 2022

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Bugblatter posted:

I have a hard time understanding the Fury Road comparison at all. Quality aside, the tone, style, and content are just vastly different. They're both sci-fi, I guess.

They share a lot of the same themes, most obvious being they're both stories about class struggle; Furiosa and Alita aren't your typical action heroes, and they're cyborgs who bring the fight to one-percenter types in what seems like no-win scenarios set in a post-apocalyptic future. They also have very clear and well developed action design, and share similar heart pounding scores composed by Junkie XL.

teagone fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Dec 23, 2022

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Does having a prosthetic limb makes you a cyborg? Fury Road is more about patriarchy than 1%ers and I dunno that we can say Rodrigeuz's Alita is too far off from a Whedon female action lead.

If you like them both and find similarities that appeal to you, that's great. But if you recommend it to someone saying "it's like Fury Road," you could surely see how you're setting them up for some false expectations?

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Seems odd to call Fury road a sci-fi film. Like technically broadly speaking it is, but if you asked me to describe what genre it is to someone post-apocalyptic/action would be what I'd go for. But yeah often when you start talking about what films fit into what genre it gets pretty nit picky.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Bugblatter posted:

Does having a prosthetic limb makes you a cyborg? Fury Road is more about patriarchy than 1%ers and I dunno that we can say Rodrigeuz's Alita is too far off from a Whedon female action lead.

Comparing Alita to a Whedon female action lead is a gross disservice to the character, to Robert Rodriguez as a filmmaker, and to James cameron as a writer. Alita is also one the most leftist films Hollywood has produced in the last several years: it's a movie directed by a Latinx director, has a WOC as the lead, and the lead character's entire mission is to destroy the 1%. Get that racist sexpest Whedon garbage outta here, lmao.

quote:

If you like them both and find similarities that appeal to you, that's great. But if you recommend it to someone saying "it's like Fury Road," you could surely see how you're setting them up for some false expectations?

Again, I even explicitly said that Alita is not as similar. Please re-read. I basically said Alita shares some DNA from Fury Road, that's it. Not that it's going to replicate the exact same experience. But the motorball scene is basically like the YA version of a Fury Road set piece, if you wanna keep pushing that comparison angle.

teagone fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Dec 23, 2022

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

There's an Alita thread.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Ratios and Tendency posted:

There's an Alita thread.

:yeah: I will move any future discussion from my end into that thread and quoted Bugblatter's post there lol. Sorry for the derail!

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

I kind of get what teagone means. I love both Dune and Lawrence of Arabia and, subjectively, they fit the same mood for my rewatch habits. I could rattle off a list of commonalities between the two and, given how much the real Lawrence was an influence on Dune, they'd be quite valid.

But I don't think I'd cite Dune while convincing someone to watch Lawrence of Arabia. If I did and people "predictably freak out whenever I make that comparison," I might recognize that the comparison doesn't really communicate the qualities I mean it to.

Edit: Yeah I won't derail the Avatar thread anymore, sorry. I won't go to the Alita thread either, but I might go talk about Dune some more in its thread. :)

Edit 2: For the record, I didn't intend to compare Rodriguez or Cameron to Whedon as people. Just the teenage girl action-hero archetype that Whedon popularized.

Bugblatter fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Dec 23, 2022

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer
I think we need an Animatrix but for the Avatar universe. Anitar. (Not to be confused with AniTÁR.)

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Back to Avatar related content, I was looking for footage of Kate Winslet's 7+ min breath hold and found it in this video (3m37s in):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mK3ghy-2X6U

Not sure what/where the source is (maybe that is the source), but either way, it's a decently produced video. Fun watch.

[edit]

Also, I've been trying to get into TWOW's score, but I keep being underwhelmed. It just doesn't hit as good as the first movie's score imo. Although, I will cop to The Songcord being an absolutely beautiful track :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lDvyER0E6Y

The Weeknd's song is garbo though, 100% lmao.

teagone fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Dec 23, 2022

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
https://twitter.com/dril/status/1606144225271128064?t=5gnmVty9GOYSQe9biO0Akg&s=19

Costco Meatballs
Oct 21, 2022

by Pragmatica
I heard there were two shots without effects in this movie. Were they dude getting hit into a bulkhead by water and Sully's hand pulling the grenade pin?

Both involved water so I'm guessing not but they stood out

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

It's the one where Sully's son dies, they killed the kid for real!

life of lemons
Sep 7, 2005

I steal stuff all the time.

teagone posted:

Back to Avatar related content, I was looking for footage of Kate Winslet's 7+ min breath hold and found it in this video (3m37s in):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mK3ghy-2X6U

Not sure what/where the source is (maybe that is the source), but either way, it's a decently produced video. Fun watch.

[edit]

Also, I've been trying to get into TWOW's score, but I keep being underwhelmed. It just doesn't hit as good as the first movie's score imo. Although, I will cop to The Songcord being an absolutely beautiful track :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lDvyER0E6Y

The Weeknd's song is garbo though, 100% lmao.

I thought this song worked well near the start to propel along the montage of spaceships and landing. I love the visuals of how ominous a slightly larger star is when this scene kicks off
Particularly the little stings that start at 0:55 which I assume are repeated elsewhere in the score
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYQ2D0k20PU

life of lemons fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Dec 23, 2022

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

life of lemons posted:

I thought this song worked well near the start to propel along the montage of spaceships and landing. I love the visuals of how ominous a slightly larger star is when this scene kicks off
Particularly the little stings that start at 0:55 which I assume are repeated elsewhere in the score
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYQ2D0k20PU

I can't recall those particular notes you pointed out elsewhere in the score, though I've only gone through the entire track list twice. I just come back to a handful of songs that I've added to my movie score playlist lol; mostly The Songcord and Payakan tracks, and the few that reuse Horner's OG leitmotif -- pretty sure it's only maybe 3 tracks that use it I think? Happiness is Simple, Cove of the Ancestors, and Na'vi Attack are the ones I remember. I wish they used it more :( It was all over the first movie's score and is so good. It was instantly recognizable to me when they used it in the trailers.

teagone fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Dec 23, 2022

mmmmalo
Mar 30, 2018

Hello!

teagone posted:

To be fair, it's a valid read, but pretty elementary. Thinking about how the idea of remote piloting a superhuman-like being is similar to playing an MMORPG or whatever. Jake "logs in" daily on his gaming PC (the pod chamber thing), and is consumed by playing in his avatar body -- so much so that the film makes it a point to show how unkempt and scrubby his human form has become after getting "addicted" to Pandora; Jake doesn't shower, doesn't eat properly, let's his beard get all scruffy and doesn't change his clothes, etc. He eventually levels up and upgrades his mount from the common-rarity blue dragon to the giant legendary orange gently caress-off dragon.

The read needs more engagement tbh. The digital camouflage on soldiers and the film's preoccupation with the need of screens to engage with the planet all kinda point in this direction. I thought the joke at the end where Jake's waifu comes through the window/screen to save him was pretty cute.

mmmmalo
Mar 30, 2018

Hello!
Like even if you ultimately contend that the film is about the consequences of treating real people AS THOUGH they were fictions, keeping the more literal reading in mind helps you appreciate the movie's wit imo

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
As for music and score discussion, I do think that’s one area that Avatar so far lacks compared to some of the big epic series. For me at least, there’s no music as standout as those of Lord of the rings, Star Wars, pirates trilogy, or the matrix films. Would be cool if avatar 3 score goes bigger.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

I was watching an interview with Cameron and Villeneuve from last year and there was an interesting moment where he's talking about the future of movies and streaming that really made me wonder if theres more truth to those "lol he turned in a 9 hour cut of Avatar 3 and wants all 9 hours of VFX finished".

quote:

I want to do a movie that 6 hours long, and 2 and a half hours long at the same time- same movie. And you can stream it for 6 hours, or go and have a more condensed immersive version of that experience in a movie theater. Same movie, just ones the novel and ones the movie. Why not?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgZQK7cfx_0&t=458s

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

mmmmalo posted:

The read needs more engagement tbh. The digital camouflage on soldiers and the film's preoccupation with the need of screens to engage with the planet all kinda point in this direction. I thought the joke at the end where Jake's waifu comes through the window/screen to save him was pretty cute.

I think it’s also worth reflecting on how relatively little we get about the quotidian experience of being a Na’vi—they’re hunter-gatherers, presumably, but isn’t the implication that Ewya (the central algorithm of the system/planet) “provides”—in other words, Pandora is a kind of Disney-fied version of being a hunter/gatherer? So we never quite starve even in lean times, the wolf-panthers usually turn away at the last moment, etc. But of course this raises the question of why Ewya doesn’t just dispense food outright. Some kind of commitment to the Protestant virtues of hard work and self-reliance?

Quaritch is a commited PVPer.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

The high framerate stuff in this film was utterly unbearable. What the gently caress were they thinking?

Not only did it make me nauseous for a full three hours, but I also got to enjoy the experience of a poorly optimised game that fluctuates between 60 and 30fps.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal
Variable High Frame Rate is a fundamentally flawed idea and if youre gunna do HFR just do the whole thing.

From a technical and theoretical standpoint I vehemently disagree with Cameron on its usefulness and Id argue it is antithetical to how a mind perceives seamless film editing, the kinetics of action scene editing and generally how weight/movement is perceived in different frame rates.

I truly do not understand what Cameron thinks its solving doing both. As someone who watches 3D content all of the time both on flat screen and in VR, Id say it is actively more of an uncomfortable experience for the eyes/brain than just comitting to one frame rate.

You should never ever ever be able to "perceive" a cut, VFR makes you constantly aware of editing.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

checkplease posted:

As for music and score discussion, I do think that’s one area that Avatar so far lacks compared to some of the big epic series. For me at least, there’s no music as standout as those of Lord of the rings, Star Wars, pirates trilogy, or the matrix films. Would be cool if avatar 3 score goes bigger.

Horner's score set the stage imo. I was excited to see where they would take the muscial cues for TWOW, but all the memorable themes from the first movie are almost nowhere to be found. Like, listening through the entirety of TWOW's score, there's nothing that embodies the idea what of Avatar is or what it feels like as good as the combo of Ikinimaya + Jake's First Flight does imo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkwMFM67M7Y

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQfkeiVrJ5Y

They do close out the film using cues from the Iknimaya track again at least, but ahh everything else is just so weak by comparison.

teagone fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Dec 23, 2022

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
It's tough because I think HFR can be pretty cool but it does definitely expose the guts of the film when used the way that Cameron uses it.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

AccountSupervisor posted:

Variable High Frame Rate is a fundamentally flawed idea and if youre gunna do HFR just do the whole thing.

From a technical and theoretical standpoint I vehemently disagree with Cameron on its usefulness and Id argue it is antithetical to how a mind perceives seamless film editing, the kinetics of action scene editing and generally how weight/movement is perceived in different frame rates.

I truly do not understand what Cameron thinks its solving doing both. As someone who watches 3D content all of the time both on flat screen and in VR, Id say it is actively more of an uncomfortable experience for the eyes/brain than just comitting to one frame rate.

You should never ever ever be able to "perceive" a cut, VFR makes you constantly aware of editing.

What do you think if maybe Cameron had limited the HFR content to ONLY underwater sequences?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Nah even when it's just HFR on its own everything looks like a Sci Fi original show. It's a really effective way of making a half billion dollar movie look cheap and ugly.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Maybe my showing didn’t have HFR ?

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

did we watch the same movie

cheap and ugly is probably not one of the ways i would describe this. bad story? uneven acting? sure

cheap? lol

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth
The reason why the The Way Of Water’s script sucks so much rear end is because it was written by the same hack who wrote Alien vs Predator Requiem lmao

Shane Salerno ftw

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

MLSM posted:

The reason why the The Way Of Water’s script sucks so much rear end is because it was written by the same hack who wrote Alien vs Predator Requiem lmao

Shane Salerno ftw

hes already credited as the story writer for avatar 3-5 also

his last project before avatar 2?

The Comey Rule an... adaptation of a book written by Comey?

why did they have him do this

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

Does it tickle when your Body Thetans flap their wings, eh Beatrice?
I think they re-used some of the music from the first film in this one too.

As for the high framerate, I didn't notice, but I've only seen the 2D version so far.

Costco Meatballs posted:

I heard there were two shots without effects in this movie. Were they dude getting hit into a bulkhead by water and Sully's hand pulling the grenade pin?

Both involved water so I'm guessing not but they stood out
The shot where Jake tightens the strap on his hand before trying to ride a skimwing is at least partly practical:
https://beforesandafters.com/2022/12/21/why-the-cg-water-in-the-way-of-water-looks-so-good/

quote:

Finally, there was a lot of online speculation after people saw that shot of the hands tightening the leather straps on the creature on the water surface, and people wondering whether it was practical or CG. To settle the debate, can you tell me if that was real or CG?

Eric Saindon: The shot in question was both live action and CG. The props department built a Ilu saddle and strap for Kevin Dorman to sit on in a small pool on stage. Kevin’s hand and forearm were painted by Sarah Rubano using reference of Jake’s arm from the CG model. Jim Cameron was then able to get the performance he wanted for the wrapping of the strap around Jake’s hand and interacting with the water. Once we got the plates at Wētā FX, we match moved the motion and used CG from the straps above Jake’s wrists. We used real water over the saddle and around the hands and fingers. CG water was used to extend the plate and to get the interaction of Jake’s body in the water.

There might be others - Slashfilm asked about a shot of a shell buried in the sand which Kiri studies, but the VFX directors won't tell:
https://www.slashfilm.com/1146735/a...sive-interview/

quote:

One of my favorite shots is this simple moment of Kiri looking at this hole in the sand underneath the water. Was any of that real or...?

Bodapatti: We're never going to break down the shots. You tell me.

Vir fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Dec 23, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

euphronius posted:

Maybe my showing didn’t have HFR ?

Some showings don't project HFR, yes, but even if you're the least bit observant you would be able to tell the difference from when a sequence is shot in 24fps and it jumps to 48fps the next lol.

Vir posted:

I think they re-used some of the music from the first film in this one too.

They do, but any cues pulled from the first film's scare are used very rarely.