Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

All their games look like Switch games anyway so this is a logical move

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I am going to play Ys X on the Nintendo Switch

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Do you pronounce the dot triangle or is it just "Dee gee"

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen
According to the voice lines, it's D-G.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

Junpei posted:

Do you pronounce the dot triangle or is it just "Dee gee"

Dee Gee is just for short, the dot-triangle is an existing scientific symbol and is spelled "therefore". So "Dee therefore Gee", which I believe is mentioned when the name is first brought up.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Alternately, you could say "ergo," which is the old Latin (Greek?) for "therefore" and is exactly the type of smug intellectual pretension that the villain would love.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

King of Solomon posted:

It being a Switch release is probably the worst possible news, I'm already dreading the performance issues it's basically guaranteed to have.
The past falcom switch games have not actually been made by falcom so there's not really any precedent, also this company made vita games i think they'll be fine

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Their in-house Vita output was pretty bad but we can blame PhyreEngine somewhat for that in the case of Cold Steel

Not sure about how Ys 8 (which was the inhouse engine?) or Tokyo Xanadu ran because they were missing swathes of content by the time they came to the US

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Tokyo Xanadu is the same engine as CS1/2. You can extrapolate from that.

Ys 8 is their in-house engine and it runs... well, I wouldn't call it great either, but it's playable enough. Celceta runs better, but that one's also much less ambitious.

sailormoon
Jun 28, 2014

fighting evil by moonlight
winning love by daylight

I知 currently playing Trails in the Sky on my Deck and really enjoying it, but it痴 a super slow burn. Does the game pick up a lot after the initial chapters? I知 worried about having to dump 80+ hours in to hit the couple of games which I致e heard are superb.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Trails in The Sky 1's plot is a very slow burn. You can see the gears turning, but only the last chapter really has anything kick off.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

sailormoon posted:

I知 currently playing Trails in the Sky on my Deck and really enjoying it, but it痴 a super slow burn. Does the game pick up a lot after the initial chapters? I知 worried about having to dump 80+ hours in to hit the couple of games which I致e heard are superb.

It takes a while to get going, but all that buildup does pay off in spades as you near the conclusion of the game. You don't need to wait until the sequel for things to get good.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Looking back, almost everyone agrees FC is one of the best games in the series, so I definitely say keep going..

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

FC is really one of those games that's basically a prologue to the next game

It does start slow, but it's necessary for the pop-offs to come

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

The games do "payoff", but a lot of them follow the same structure of dinking around a given town for a chapter and solving an issue while the wider plot gets breadcrumbed so you do need to be able to enjoy the smaller stuff too.

Motto fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Dec 24, 2022

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Honestly in most Trails games I think I enjoy the "Slow Burn" more than the payoff.

Sky FC ain't my fav game in the series but the formula it and its sequel follow is similar to how most of the games in the series is layed out. So don't worry about FC feeling like a slow intro before you get to the "best games" because when you get down to it a lot of Trails is in pretty much the same style.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

The thing to remember is that Sky FC and SC were meant to be one game but they literally ran out of space to do so, so they split it into two games. The game is a labour of love that is designed to go way over the average playtime and so what ended up seeming slow burn was more them just making a game twice the size of what we consider a normal length game.

But yes they also somewhat back-load some of the twists and whatnot as a "please come back for the sequel" cliffhanger bonanza.

Tesseraction fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Dec 24, 2022

Prowler
May 24, 2004

It's the same way with Trails from Zero, albeit I assume it was deliberate at that point. It starts off fairly slow in the first chapter or two, then things go off the rails in chapter 3.

It's also the same with with Trails of Cold Steel.

They really enjoy building the world with very small stakes, local-area focused, "please help me save my kitty from the tree" type missions.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

tbh it's a pretty classic JRPG story structure, they just tend to not drop the main overarching conflict on you from the start like most.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Prowler posted:

It's the same way with Trails from Zero, albeit I assume it was deliberate at that point. It starts off fairly slow in the first chapter or two, then things go off the rails in chapter 3.

It's also the same with with Trails of Cold Steel.

They really enjoy building the world with very small stakes, local-area focused, "please help me save my kitty from the tree" type missions.

Same goes for Kuro, kinda. Though in that game things really kick off in the interlude chapter between chapters 4 and 5.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

sailormoon posted:

Honestly, FC is like a 40-50 game and things start ramping up towards the end of Chapter 3 and then the game doesn't pull off the gas.

SC is more like 60-70 and it just all gas all the time.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

https://www.siliconera.com/trails-of-cold-steel-northern-war-mobile-game-announced/

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Guess that's what Falcom meant when they said they wanted to release 4 or 5 games a year.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

sailormoon posted:

It's a very slow burn. Sky FC starts picking up about halfway/three-quarters through Chapter 3 and from then on it doesn't really let up. Sky SC starts out in a position of higher stakes and a stronger sense of important things happening, although as it has been said, the bulk of the games are all going to be roaming and sidequesting in local towns.

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

Sky FC is very slow, and it honestly helped to go play and finish CS1 first for me to really get into it. It took me years of trying and dropping off FC, and then I beat all the Sky and CS games in a few months. Any of the arcs are probably a good starting point, but they are all worth going through.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

I bounced off FC like three or four times before managing to drag myself through it and that was after I had skipped ahead and played other games in the series, FC is a slow burn even by this franchise standard.

Didn't have that problem with Zero or CS1.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

RevolverDivider posted:

I bounced off FC like three or four times before managing to drag myself through it and that was after I had skipped ahead and played other games in the series, FC is a slow burn even by this franchise standard.

Didn't have that problem with Zero or CS1.

Put me in as another data point for this one.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Sky's gameplay is also just really slow and being stuck on PC makes everything feel like it takes longer too.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

MythosDragon posted:

Sky's gameplay is also just really slow and being stuck on PC makes everything feel like it takes longer too.

Unlike the PSP version which doesn't have Turbo mode. :P

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

https://twitter.com/wolfyinthecity/status/1606327800834596870?s=46&t=jy8H6FyOxv4tuFsYp77BoA

https://twitter.com/wolfyinthecity/status/1606372204425449489?s=46&t=jy8H6FyOxv4tuFsYp77BoA

https://twitter.com/wolfyinthecity/status/1606730981142323200?s=46&t=jy8H6FyOxv4tuFsYp77BoA

https://twitter.com/wolfyinthecity/status/1606930117477142533?s=46&t=jy8H6FyOxv4tuFsYp77BoA

https://twitter.com/wolfyinthecity/status/1606959854148804609?s=46&t=jy8H6FyOxv4tuFsYp77BoA

https://twitter.com/wolfyinthecity/status/1607049181084147714?s=46&t=3O7YDgelZAJra_z_De90Cw

https://twitter.com/wolfyinthecity/status/1606577993950072832?s=46&t=kSglaeHZz0EWVnyMHuJJ8A

https://twitter.com/wolfyinthecity/status/1606982344027799553?s=46&t=kSglaeHZz0EWVnyMHuJJ8A

https://twitter.com/wolfyinthecity/status/1607015443084226560?s=46&t=kSglaeHZz0EWVnyMHuJJ8A

SgtSteel91 fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Dec 25, 2022

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
So, idly, how many games in-how good would you say your sense of "Secretly an Enforcer/Dominion/Anguis/supernatural being" is for the Trails series?

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Junpei posted:

So, idly, how many games in-how good would you say your sense of "Secretly an Enforcer/Dominion/Anguis/supernatural being" is for the Trails series?

After Sky and Zero I never trusted a friendly doctor/professor

In Azure I was sure something was going to be up with Dr. Seiland, and I never trusted Professor Lughman the moment he appeared in CS3

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I lol'd at Rean imagining Lloyd arresting him in this one.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Junpei posted:

Poor to average at best. It really depends.

- Sky FC's hidden big bad caught me totally off guard.
- Sky SC's hidden Enforcer, I was actually on the fence about whether or not the character in Chapter 3 of Sky FC was a bad guy, and I didn't come firmly down on the side of bad guy until the trap on the wall.
- I did peg the identity of Sky the 3rd's villain ahead of time.
- Cold Steel 1's villain was spoiled for me. I was in very late Chapter 6 at the time of the spoiling, and before that point, I had absolutely no idea. Never crossed my mind.
- Cold Steel 2, I didn't peg Rufus as an Ironblood, but I did suspect Osborne was alive.
- Zero's villain caught me completely off guard again.
- Azure, most of the villains caught me off guard. Arios I hadn't really suspected, because the game had very much covered its tracks with regards to him. I knew Deiter Crois was a villain from Cold Steel 2's Divertissment, but I wasn't sure about his daughter until she talked with KeA at the end of the Intermission. The final surprise reveal was again a surprise to me.

- Cold Steel 3 - Half and Half. I hadn't expected what happened with a certain playable party member, but I did pick up on Lughman being in far too many suspicious locations - shame on Rean for not thinking there was anything odd the second time he showed up, coming back from an island where a member of Old Class VII had gone missing on.
Suspicious Person: "I didn't see that person there."
Rean: "Oh, okay, then." :downs:

I did correctly peg his real identity, but largely because the game was practically screaming at me "[this known dead character] is important", so I was watching for the final pieces of proof and spotted them when they came in Chapter 4.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Dec 26, 2022

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

- Cold Steel 3 - Half and Half. I hadn't expected what happened with a certain playable party member, but I did pick up on Lughman being in far too many suspicious locations - shame on Rean for not thinking there was anything odd the second time he showed up, coming back from an island where a member of Old Class VII had gone missing on.
Suspicious Person: "I didn't see that person there."
Rean: "Oh, okay, then." :downs:

I did correctly peg his real identity, but largely because the game was practically screaming at me "[this known dead character] is important", so I was watching for the final pieces of proof and spotted them when they came in Chapter 4.

Ironically, that one he really wasn't directly involved in. (Cold Steel III spoiler) Millium got nabbed by Arianrhod and her Stahlritter who were working for the Society while Lughman was on Team Osborne and at that point those two sides were still at odds with each other.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
I initially wasn't that hyped for the Northern War anime but it actually looks quite good from the trailer.

No news on another Trails game, I enjoyed Kuro 2 a lot but bits of it did seem a bit rushed so i'm okay if they take a little longer on then next one, maybe give the Western market a bit of time to catch up.

sailormoon
Jun 28, 2014

fighting evil by moonlight
winning love by daylight

Thank you all for the encouragement to keep playing. I知 not that much further in, but I can already see the plot begin to develop.

I知 currently partially through Chapter 1: how should I grind or strengthen my characters? Is there a spoiler free list anywhere?

I知 mostly interested in the story but my party feels either underlevelled, undergeared, or both.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
I had a hard time getting started in Sky myself, the EXP in all the Trails games is pretty much diminishing returns so you don't really benefit much from fighting the same things over and over again, unless you need the Mira from sepith which also feels in short supply early game.

I forget when you get it but the petrify quartz was really helpful in defeating enemies early, there is a tough tower but you can run from the enemies and just grab the chests for good items.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

sailormoon posted:

Thank you all for the encouragement to keep playing. I知 not that much further in, but I can already see the plot begin to develop.

I知 currently partially through Chapter 1: how should I grind or strengthen my characters? Is there a spoiler free list anywhere?

I知 mostly interested in the story but my party feels either underlevelled, undergeared, or both.

How far in are you?

A few tips for Chapter 1:

- In FC, I generally fight everything exactly once and run past them later on. That should keep your levels at the expected point.
- The ideal time for doing the bear claw quest (which requires you to explore Nebel Valley) and the King Scorpion bounty quest is to do it immediately after your meeting at Haken Gate, since you'll briefly have an extra party member. He'll run off the moment you set foot in Bose, but you can rest and recover HP/EP at both the Verte Bridge checkpoint and the hermit's hut in Nebel Valley.
- It's best to try and do all sidequests on the board, since they give you mira which you can use to buy new gear and supplies.
- The East Bose highway has a monster called a Wisdom. It's quite tough (lots of HP, absorbs health, can use the Shadow Spear art), but it occasionally drops HP2 quartz, which is better than what you can synthesize in Bose and gives you the opportunity to cast La Tear. (AOE healing)
- This Chapter's Shining Pom, if you have CP to burn for a max-power S-craft, is on the West Bose Highway, I believe a bit after the fork in the road.
- Ravennue's monster quest times out if you don't do it before the plot requires you to go there (another bracer takes care of it if you let her) and it's out of the way, so that keep an eye on that one.
- Most importantly, don't waste sepith on opening Schera's or Olivier's slots. FC is set up in a way that the only characters who'll consistently stick with you throughout the game are Estelle and Joshua, so you want their orbments to have as much functionality as possible. The other characters hang out with your group for a while, but leave at the end of the chapter. (or just before) Characters who join you in later chapters are already have a fully-upgraded orbment or have an orbment that's very cheap to open slots on, but it can be a bit of a trap with Schera now that sepith is still rather sparse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I clicked through on this one because I was confused - Towa not being 3 feet tall made it hard to tell.