Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

My own painting is nothing to write home about, but as to the camera, I found an app called Open Camera on Android and it feels that my pictures are more realistic with it, or at least it won't take wild colour liberties

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Al-Saqr posted:

WiP Morko from Metal Squig!

this is the first time I've painted an actual warhammer unit since 2002 I think, the camera makes the red look ALOT more flat and vibrant than it is in real life, and for some reason it removed alot of the orange that lines the hair. I'll see if I can accentuate the red clothing folds a bit more. I'm not sure where to go from there if at all, any advice and criticism to really up my game would be greatly appreciated! Obviously in the final pass I will clean up lines and stitches and stuff.

my main problem areas:-

the eyes, I am deathly afraid of them, I tried dabbing red to give the ork angry red eyes but not only is it not vibrant at all no matter how softly I dab it just splats in there in a really ugly way, I got flashbacks to that badly painted imperial guardsman and stopped when I could still do so.

once I get some feedback, I'll apply them and then actually make an attempt at basing.

thanks!

Also, I am going to go buy a cheap LED light for next time I photograph progress, any recommendations? keyword:- CHEAP.

I have an Ikea swivel lamp with a daylight bulb. In total it was less than $20. I have two, but that’s my preference. I use it with some tissue paper to diffuse the light when photographing. Best lighting purchase I’ve ever made.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I think I need to get one of those Neat lamps....I'm rocking the two swivel lamps with daylight bulbs but it's not quite enough in my dark little corner.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
A friend of mine has dug up an old chaos space army he bought around 2007, a pretty large force, all primed black and nothing else. What I'm wondering is, if we want to start painting those models, should we remove the primer from all models and reapply the primer, or can we use the old primer? I don't have a clue if such old primer can hold up if we start painting over them.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Try painting a couple of models and see what happens. You can always strip them later.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Siivola posted:

Try painting a couple of models and see what happens. You can always strip them later.

And remember to wash them first (warm water, a bit of soap) to get the dust off.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Siivola posted:

Pierzak posted:

And remember to wash them first (warm water, a bit of soap) to get the dust off.

Good advice, I guess we are gonna sacrifice a couple chaos marines to the dark gods of painting and see what happens.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I think it will be fine, just get the dust off

arsenicCatnip
Dec 23, 2022

:33< i KNOW, i was speaking metafurrikitty :33

Angry Lobster posted:

Good advice, I guess we are gonna sacrifice a couple chaos marines to the dark gods of painting and see what happens.

The majority of my space marines army was from a job lot of old 2000s minis already primed and some already painted, I just went over them with no stripping or anything and it worked fine.

The real pain is realizing half of them are missing their guns/backpacks.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
I just finished a mini that I think I can safely say is the best mini I've ever painted (as in I don't feel like I screwed anything up and I'm happy with the effects etc.) And it's a freaking bog standard line troop . But hey. This was a ton of fun to paint. Only about a hundred more of these guys.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Great work! The eyes look simple but really effective!

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Yeah the eyes are real good.

arsenicCatnip
Dec 23, 2022

:33< i KNOW, i was speaking metafurrikitty :33

Count Thrashula posted:

I just finished a mini that I think I can safely say is the best mini I've ever painted (as in I don't feel like I screwed anything up and I'm happy with the effects etc.) And it's a freaking bog standard line troop . But hey. This was a ton of fun to paint. Only about a hundred more of these guys.

I adore how you did that sword! Did you apply a wash or does that silver paint just catch the light really well?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

arsenicCatnip posted:

I adore how you did that sword! Did you apply a wash or does that silver paint just catch the light really well?

The armor was Vallejo Duraluminum -> Drakenhof Nightshade -> dry brushed Ironbreaker -> edge highlight Vallejo Silver. Probably way overkill for what it is. But also yes the paint is pretty shiny :)

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Count Thrashula posted:

This dude looks like he's going to mess me up, looks awesome. Seconding the love on the sword, it's super vivid, but his chest is really detailed and pops super well.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Professor Shark posted:

simple but really effective!

I think this is the secret to mini painting

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Finished Morko From Metal Squig!

Tried my best with the eyes, had fun making a custom base, will clean up once everything dries!

Critiques Please!

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I think I'm finished this Hospitaller for now

Crossposting cause I'm proud of it

I know I need to add some decals, one of these days. I got the microsol stuff...I'm just a bit intimidated

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Al-Saqr posted:

Tried my best with the eyes, had fun making a custom base, will clean up once everything dries!

Critiques Please!

First off: great job!!

Critique that I give everyone, especially myself: You need three more things; contrast, contrast, contrast. Try darker shadows with a different tone that either pushes the baes color cooler (i.e. on the red coat dark purple) or to a complementary color (again on the coat, do dark green shadows) For highlights, really go nuts, again shifting the color towards yellow. I always have to force myself to go farther than I think, and I'm always glad I did.

But as-is, it's super good, and you are well on your way to awesomeness!

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Al-Saqr posted:

Critiques Please!

Looks real good! The one thing I'd flag up is the base; your base decoration guy has the same skin tone as your ork, with a very similar highlight colour too, so it catches the eye and kind of distracts from the figure. I'd have gone darker with it myself, or at least not green. Maybe purple?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Al-Saqr posted:

Critiques Please!

Paint the rim of the base black, it's kinda sloppy right now

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Lumpy posted:

First off: great job!!

Critique that I give everyone, especially myself: You need three more things; contrast, contrast, contrast. Try darker shadows with a different tone that either pushes the baes color cooler (i.e. on the red coat dark purple) or to a complementary color (again on the coat, do dark green shadows) For highlights, really go nuts, again shifting the color towards yellow. I always have to force myself to go farther than I think, and I'm always glad I did.

But as-is, it's super good, and you are well on your way to awesomeness!

SiKboy posted:

Looks real good! The one thing I'd flag up is the base; your base decoration guy has the same skin tone as your ork, with a very similar highlight colour too, so it catches the eye and kind of distracts from the figure. I'd have gone darker with it myself, or at least not green. Maybe purple?

This is really great advice thanks!

Ill make a purple pass on the little alien dude as soon as possible!

Spanish Manlove posted:

Paint the rim of the base black, it's kinda sloppy right now

Will do once it dries off and i remove it from the stand!

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Whenever I do cloth I like to think about where the natural wear points would be and really buff the layers towards and almost too light color there (see the knees of my Rocket Launcher Scouts).

I’m this case I would say the elbows should almost be pink and the pant knees cream- presumably this Ork doesn’t take care of his stuff and has been wearing these cloths for a while.

Otherwise, more layers would help imo.

I like him!

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007

Lumpy posted:

It’s always this. Bit long for a thread title though

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Yeah I'm noticing I need to push my colors brighter, it's just harder because I've been using the slapchop method with contrasts but it's just not quite bright enough, even using bold white titanium undercoat. So, I need to come back and find what colors I have match and brighten it that way

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

grassy gnoll posted:

I also have a Sotar, and if I'd had the ability to try it before hand, I would not have a Sotar.

That makes me sad

Bucnasti posted:

Yeah I can't think of a real practical use for it in regards to mini painting. It's so sensitive to paint viscosity and takes forever to get dialed in it's just a whole lot easier to paint with a tiny brush.
Even if I'm doing fairly small details like highlights on space marine armor, I just use the 105 with the pressure set low.

And I'd reather punch myself in the dick than try to do a basecoat or prime with the sotar.

Wat

Not only can I prime with no issues with the 0.2mm needle, if for some reason I feel the cone is too small I can just swap it to the 0.4mm and match the 105. There's even a 0.7mm needle if you want, and they make a sotar with a huge cup as well.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
Does it still get to be called a miniature if it takes 5 passes on a 3d printer to print all of it?

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007

Harvey Mantaco posted:

Does it still get to be called a miniature if it takes 5 passes on a 3d printer to print all of it?

It’s called a biggie

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Beffer posted:

It’s called a biggie

"Bigature" is the term Weta Workshop used for their LOTR stuff.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

The Demilich posted:

That makes me sad

Wat

Not only can I prime with no issues with the 0.2mm needle, if for some reason I feel the cone is too small I can just swap it to the 0.4mm and match the 105. There's even a 0.7mm needle if you want, and they make a sotar with a huge cup as well.

There's absolutely a place for a super-fine airbrush, and the Sotar just ain't it. The build quality and features aren't improved enough in comparison to a Patriot or a Neo, but not nice enough to justify over spending a little more and getting a really nice brush like an Infinity.

Like, practically I'll keep using the 105 and a ton of masking whenever I need a fine line regardless of what tools I have available to me, but the Sotar is more frequently a hassle than a help.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

RE: contrast and pushing values in your paintjobs

feel like I have even seen this said before ITT but one quick way to just your values is to take a picture with your phone and put it in grayscale. Related to this check how your mini looks when not under your bright painting lights as those lights will make things pop more than they do under most of the viewing conditions your models will be in, assuming you are painting for tabletop gaming and not a well-lit display piece in a cabinet.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Remember, contrast paints aren't like putting a colour filter layer over your greyscale in Photoshop. They contain pigments which have their own tone values so you will never get close the brightness of the underlying white. You can up the contrast by either going over it by hand and highlighting the old fashioned way or dry brushing white and then contrast over that until it's bright enough.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.

Harvey Mantaco posted:

Nice! I’ve got this guy half printed but the torso kept failing so I put it to the side for now

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Eej posted:

or dry brushing white and then contrast over that until it's bright enough.

:eek:

Now that's an idea

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

GreenBuckanneer posted:

:eek:

Now that's an idea

that's basically what I do. i drybrush up to pure white then I put contrast over it. if that's not bright enough then I'll do touch up highlights after

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Spanish Manlove posted:

that's basically what I do. i drybrush up to pure white then I put contrast over it. if that's not bright enough then I'll do touch up highlights after

I already do that, I was reading that as after you've dry brush and put the contrast on if it's still not bright enough then drive brush on white and then reapply the contrast that way. I was using Pro acryl's titanium bold White in spots on that sister's model and it's still ended up darker than I intended

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Toebone posted:

Nice! I’ve got this guy half printed but the torso kept failing so I put it to the side for now

Good luck trying but never actually succeeding at removing the billion teeny supports if you use the OPR pre-supported.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Harvey Mantaco posted:

Mine is printed and I am painting it but it is only a portion done and does not look quite this nice, but it is a fun model to paint. Maybe I will show a picture when I get home. I used the OPR pre-supports and it was a bit hairy to get them all off. I did have a small print failure, the little worm guy has like two skeletons in a cage and one of the skeletons had some pancake action going on, which was surprising because I don't think you could physically cram in any more supports.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I already do that, I was reading that as after you've dry brush and put the contrast on if it's still not bright enough then drive brush on white and then reapply the contrast that way. I was using Pro acryl's titanium bold White in spots on that sister's model and it's still ended up darker than I intended

Yup, you can do this with any kind of transparent paint. I don't use much contrast myself but you should also be able to do something like drybrushing a bright yellow over green contrast and then green contrast over it to get a warmer highlight (rather than going towards pastel green) on Ork skin, for example.

E: if I'm wrong about the yellow drybrush idea don't ban me thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Mine is printed and I am painting it but it is only a portion done and does not look quite this nice, but it is a fun model to paint. Maybe I will show a picture when I get home. I used the OPR pre-supports and it was a bit hairy to get them all off. I did have a small print failure, the little worm guy has like two skeletons in a cage and one of the skeletons had some pancake action going on, which was surprising because I don't think you could physically cram in any more supports.

Apparently i had a bad print too because I totally don't have a skeleton in a cage on my print... huh.