Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

so is The Anacrusis worth $9.89? I'm not aware of any thread for it (or a general co-op FPS thread) I know it got pretty medicore reception when it first hit early access but it seems like it's gotten updated a lot since then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Basticle posted:

so is The Anacrusis worth $9.89? I'm not aware of any thread for it (or a general co-op FPS thread) I know it got pretty medicore reception when it first hit early access but it seems like it's gotten updated a lot since then.

I probably wouldn't recommend it unless you had a group to play with, Steamcharts shows the 30 day player average as 2.1. I didn't even realize until now that this game is still technically Early Access, too. I never actually played it, only followed it a bit when it launched, so maybe it has gotten better but I'm seeing a lot of "you have to join discord to find groups to play with" and that's never a good sign to me.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Jack Trades posted:

:lol::lol:

I have no idea how he got that link since if I try to google it it just gives me the correct site (https://store.steampowered.com/digitalgiftcards/) as my first result but no, there's no danger to your account, you can use it.

SEO is a hell of a feature. In chrome the steam store shows up as the first result for me too, I wonder what the guy typed into the search.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

if they don't use adblock it might have been a sponsored result

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

repiv posted:

if they don't use adblock it might have been a sponsored result

Oh right, I forgot that was a thing that Google did. :barf:

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

Jack Trades posted:

:lol::lol:

I have no idea how he got that link since if I try to google it it just gives me the correct site (https://store.steampowered.com/digitalgiftcards/) as my first result but no, there's no danger to your account, you can use it.

I have no idea either, the entire transaction was strange. I got an email with the price he paid, a link to the PayPal transaction, and the pdf attached. I thought it was spam at first but it had his first and last name on it.

Are sites like these just set up to trick old people into over paying? It does sound impressive when reading the site. “SteamCardDelivery is the premier online retailer for online Gaming cards delivered by E-mail. We have the fastest delivery system across the web. We utilize cutting edge technologies so that you can quickly and easily receive your Steam, PSN Cards, Xbox Cards, & more!”

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Probably didn't help DL2 that Chris Avellone was attached to it and then had to be hastily un-attached from it.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
People come up with the most absolutely bizarre search terms too. You don't understand how many people would search "The best website for me to buy for my wife's brother a steam.com gift card internet website NO SCAMS best value google.com".

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

loudog999 posted:

I have no idea either, the entire transaction was strange. I got an email with the price he paid, a link to the PayPal transaction, and the pdf attached. I thought it was spam at first but it had his first and last name on it.

Are sites like these just set up to trick old people into over paying? It does sound impressive when reading the site. “SteamCardDelivery is the premier online retailer for online Gaming cards delivered by E-mail. We have the fastest delivery system across the web. We utilize cutting edge technologies so that you can quickly and easily receive your Steam, PSN Cards, Xbox Cards, & more!”

It's money laundering usually.
They scam people, use the scammed money to buy steam cards, sell steam cards. Money laundered.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
if they were doing that they would sell the $20 steam card for $18 not $25
this business is scamming olds

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Given how much of a loving hassle it was to find a Steam gift card for a family member this year and that there's not really such a thing as a digital Steam gift card (i.e. something you could print out and give to someone on Christmas as opposed to just sending it directly to their account) it seems like an almost reasonable business model, obvious sketchiness aside. I literally went into a GameStop, they had one Steam card in stock, had it in my hand, went up to the counter, and they refused to sell it to me because they had already hit their Steam card sales quota and if I came back in two hours they could sell it to me (I was not in a position to come back in two hours). I would have gladly paid a small markup to not have to go to like five other stores over the next two weeks to finally find one that had a Steam gift card.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

tripwood posted:

I don't know who suggested Dungeon Warfare 2 but man that game is great. It's like a 2d Orcs Must Die with a touch of DOS game nostalgia. Love it!

looks cool to me. are there elemental interaction/combos, synergies, situational bonuses? or are all the tools just kind of there, existing independently and chugging out DPS?

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
grabbed

Rogue Legacy 2
Elden Ring
Nier Replicant Ver 1.22..

ErrEff posted:

Instead of buying anything I just went through my Steam wishlist and removed tons of games I know I'll never even play if I ever end up buying them. Felt really liberating.

If I'm not willing to buy Environmental Station Alpha for $3, maybe I don't really want it that much.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

Mescal posted:

looks cool to me. are there elemental interaction/combos, synergies, situational bonuses? or are all the tools just kind of there, existing independently and chugging out DPS?

The various tools combo in very interesting ways. You can't win on pure dps

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
Go scorched earth on your wishlist. Remove everything you aren't going to buy now. It'll make its way back onto the wishlist down the line if it's good enough.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
What're the good grid combat turn based games to get in the sale. i've already played dos2, wasteland 3, gloomhaven and xcom 2.

mila kunis fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Dec 23, 2022

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

mila kunis posted:

What're the good grid combat turn based games to get in the sale. i've already played dos2, wasteland 3, gloomhaven and xcom 2.

Not sure which, if any, of these are on sale but:

40K Chaos Gate was pretty good, although I didn't finish it as it was a little too hard and you can't change the difficulty unless you want to restart the Campaign (:confused:)

Gears Tactics was also pretty fun, although slightly too easy once you figure out how to abuse Executions for more AP.

Fel Seal: Arbiter's Mark was another good Tactics game I played 2 years ago when the pandemic first hit. Fun Job/multi-classing system and you can like drown your enemies if they're unable to Swim and fun poo poo like that.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

mila kunis posted:

Into the Breach
Warhammer: Mechanicus

J Detan
Apr 24, 2008

Wir haben uns zu Meistern der Wissenschaft!

Grimey Drawer

mila kunis posted:

Tactics Ogre and Triangle Strategy are both really good. Super Robot Wars 30 is great but it’s less strategy and more “power up and destroy everything with your favorite mecha” though.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

mila kunis posted:

What're the good grid combat turn based games to get in the sale. i've already played dos2, wasteland 3 and xcom 2.

Gloomhaven if you're into some hardcore hex-based combat.
Fights in Tight Spaces for something more casual and stylish.
For The King is great for coop but is a pretty good solo game too.
Hard West 2 is a party-based xcom-like with some interesting mechanic.
Troubleshooter same deal but you need to stomach anime aesthetics this time.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

mila kunis posted:

I really enjoyed King Arthur: Knight's Tale

I didn't really enjoy Gloomhaven, it was too punishing in terms of difficulty, there's really only one way (and sometimes 0 ways) to beat most scenarios from what I understand.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

ninjoatse.cx posted:

grabbed

Rogue Legacy 2
Elden Ring
Nier Replicant Ver 1.22..

If I'm not willing to buy Environmental Station Alpha for $3, maybe I don't really want it that much.

ah drat ESA's really good tho

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

mila kunis posted:

get the horizons gate bundle. don't get triangle strategy

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

Jeremor posted:

Anybody have a recommendation for a good co-op game with online multiplayer that you can really sink your teeth into?

My wife and I are looking for a new game similar to Valheim or Raft or 7 Days To Die. Doesn't necessarily have to be a survival game, those just seem to have the longest legs.

Definitely Risk of Rain 2

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

mila kunis posted:

I found Druidstone from some Legend of Grimrock devs really a rather fun little game, even when the setting was pretty generic. It came out in 2019 and wasn't really noticed then. And can't argue with the current -80% price.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Jeremor posted:

Anybody have a recommendation for a good co-op game with online multiplayer that you can really sink your teeth into?

My wife and I are looking for a new game similar to Valheim or Raft or 7 Days To Die. Doesn't necessarily have to be a survival game, those just seem to have the longest legs.

terraria if you somehow havnt already done it

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
ty for all the recommendations

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Fuligin posted:

ah drat ESA's really good tho

Fine, I bought it. I will be judging you if it turns out to be bad, though

RadioDog
May 31, 2005

Lunsku posted:

I found Druidstone from some Legend of Grimrock devs really a rather fun little game, even when the setting was pretty generic. It came out in 2019 and wasn't really noticed then. And can't argue with the current -80% price.

Having played and loved both Grimrocks, I think they could just making new versions of that and I would keep playing them. It's a genre I just don't get tired of. Where's my Grimrock 3?

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

RadioDog posted:

Having played and loved both Grimrocks, I think they could just making new versions of that and I would keep playing them. It's a genre I just don't get tired of. Where's my Grimrock 3?

I believe the second one sold substantially less than the first one so I'm guessing there won't be one.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

I put hundreds of hours into Hades in late 2020/early 2021, back for some more and I love it but I am STILL dogshit with the spear. That weapon just will not click for me. I have no idea what I'm doing wrong. Spear Enjoyers, help (assume basic spear aspect since I'm on a new save file)

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
just poke the enemies with the far end op

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

big cummers ONLY posted:

I put hundreds of hours into Hades in late 2020/early 2021, back for some more and I love it but I am STILL dogshit with the spear. That weapon just will not click for me. I have no idea what I'm doing wrong. Spear Enjoyers, help (assume basic spear aspect since I'm on a new save file)
The spear is probably just the worst weapon of the bunch. Mediocre damage and moveset, a special that doesn't complement the regular attack style.

If you can unlock the Achilles aspect, that makes for a solid caster build. Otherwise, Serrated Point (that improves dash attacks) or Exploding Launcher (that makes your special explode in an area) are good build-around hammers.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

ninjoatse.cx posted:

Fine, I bought it. I will be judging you if it turns out to be bad, though

if'n u like the metroidvanias u wont be disappointed, its secretly one of the best.

Baba is u guy was working on a sequel to it at some point, dont know if thats still on his agenda

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
There's a Hades thread that might be useful, but for me I enjoyed the spear when I was still newish to the game and liked the safety I thought it provided with the longer range and absolutely humongous AoE secondary. I eventually came back around to the sword once I got better and was comfortable sitting in the middle of things.

Probably put some on-hit procs on the primary (Chain Lightning, Support Fire) and/or bit +%'s on the secondary. I've also not played the game in 2 years, so ymmv.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I refunded ds1 years ago after trying it and just bought elden ring. What's the key to success when you suck at video games? I haven't played any of the other souls games. I'm thinking worst case I can find a mod to make it easier if I'm really bumping up against it but want to give it a fair shot first.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Suburban Dad posted:

I refunded ds1 years ago after trying it and just bought elden ring. What's the key to success when you suck at video games? I haven't played any of the other souls games. I'm thinking worst case I can find a mod to make it easier if I'm really bumping up against it but want to give it a fair shot first.

Spirit summons, phantom summons, cheese strats, OP builds.

If you go into the game trying to be "fair" you're going to have a bad time.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

TOOT BOOT posted:

I believe the second one sold substantially less than the first one so I'm guessing there won't be one.

I understand one of the two main developers is working at Remedy on Alan Wake 2, so any Grimrock 3 from the same team probably ain't on the cards for now.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

kazil posted:

Spirit summons, phantom summons, cheese strats, OP builds.

If you go into the game trying to be "fair" you're going to have a bad time.
I'm fine cheesing. I picked samurai so I could use bows to try and knock health down from afar before they close in and beat my rear end. No idea how viable any of this is, I'm going in pretty blind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Suburban Dad posted:

I'm fine cheesing. I picked samurai so I could use bows to try and knock health down from afar before they close in and beat my rear end. No idea how viable any of this is, I'm going in pretty blind.

I would also recommend not going in blind if this is your first From game.