Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who's your 2022 MVP?
This poll is closed.
Shohei Ohtani 50 59.52%
Aaron Judge 19 22.62%
Hey, the national league has an MVP too you know! 15 17.86%
Total: 84 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

The Berzerker posted:

Probably Mitch White first and if he sucks they go to Kikuchi and pray Tiedeman moves up fast

I suspect they give Kikuchi first shot but yeah the plan seems to be to give Kikuchi and White a shot first which doesn’t seem like the worst idea on its own. Maybe would be nice to have some more bodies between them and Tiedemann.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I don't get the poo poo the Jays are getting for this trade. Varsho is really loving good. I doubt he catches but I do think there is value in having an emergency option like him so you don't have to be so cautious pinch-hitting for catchers.

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

Niwrad posted:

I don't get the poo poo the Jays are getting for this trade. Varsho is really loving good. I doubt he catches but I do think there is value in having an emergency option like him so you don't have to be so cautious pinch-hitting for catchers.

I think it's mostly just a really weird transaction of value.

Teoscar Hernandez, Gabriel Moreno, and Lourdes Gurriel becomes

Daulton Varsho, Erik Swanson

That's a heavy consolidation of roster spots but I don't know if shorting the OF makes that much sense when you're relying on two guys with significant injury concerns, and two guys who rely almost entirely on their glove to bring value.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

He's a league average hitter traded for a top 10 prospect+.

And he plays a corner outfield spot. Like lol no way is his defence worth 2wins + in a corner of he can't hit.

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Niwrad posted:

He's fun and a solid bat but they traded a better outfielder and a better catcher for a guy who does both, and threw in a prospect for good measure.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Penisaurus Sex posted:

I think it's mostly just a really weird transaction of value.

Teoscar Hernandez, Gabriel Moreno, and Lourdes Gurriel becomes

Daulton Varsho, Erik Swanson

That's a heavy consolidation of roster spots but I don't know if shorting the OF makes that much sense when you're relying on two guys with significant injury concerns, and two guys who rely almost entirely on their glove to bring value.

yeah it's not liek they got bad players it's just that they seem to have given up more good players than they received. weird moves overall.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Varsho is a 4-5 WAR player entering the prime of his career with 4 years of team control. He's a left-handed bat with some pop at a position that is hard to fill. It allows them to move Springer to RF permanently.

He's legitimately one of the best young centerfielders in baseball and can also act as an emergency catcher. I feel like a very good prospect and one year of Teoscar Hernandez is more than fair for someone like that. Maybe it's because he was stuck in Arizona, but I think people are vastly underrating how good Varsho is. I'd take him over Luis Robert.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

who the hell is this guy
https://twitter.com/Cubs/status/1606420805465817088?s=20&t=Uz3WO2c-B9DL9t1CKuST0A

bye, alfonso you had cool walkup music.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

He has cool glasses I guess.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Mustached Demon posted:

He has cool glasses I guess.

the specter of the dreaded Kevin Gregg

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Phillies signed Kimbrel

boooooooo

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
https://twitter.com/JeffPassan/status/1606436746694098945

lmao I love it

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
the dirtiest Craig

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Kay was the Jays' main trade return for Marcus Stroman. Shapiro justified the trade against fan discontent by saying that fans didn't appreciate the years of control the team had acquired.

It's like poetry. It rhymes.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

i kind of wanted dirty craig back on the cubs, the phillies fans will destroy him

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

$10 million seems kind of high for a reliever who has looked washed for a year and a half.

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011

Niwrad posted:

$10 million seems kind of high for a reliever who has looked washed for a year and a half.

dirty craig hasnt looked washed in like 5 years

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Johnny Bravo posted:

dirty craig hasnt looked washed in like 5 years

He's looked washed for five years outside of one half season stretch with the Cubs in 2021.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
by definition he cannot be washed

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

What is the Phillies' fascination with getting relievers destined to give up huge dingers at the worst possible time

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
lookin' a lot like clean craig lately imo

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

As far as baseball viewing habits… from 2013-2020 I used to watch every inning of every Dodgers game I could. During that timespan, which is something like ~1215 regular season games alone, I bet I watched about 75% of all those innings (or was listening to the first few on the radio while driving home, before switching to TV)

And this doesn’t even count the postseason, which I would watch all the way to the last out of the series.

It seems absolutely incredible now, that I did this.

By 2021, I guess I was burned out. That season I watched maybe a game or two a week, and then this past season, I think I only watched maybe 5-6 innings total all season, before starting to watch the postseason religiously.

TBH seeing it written out like this, thinking of the numbers and hours spent, makes it sound like I had a mental health issue, some sort of obsession-related thing.

And maybe that’s what baseball fandom is, in a way?!!

Gerblederp
Dec 4, 2009

he sucks

General Bullshit
Apr 20, 2020

I haven't seen Best Fans St Louis retweet this much since the hacking scandal.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Niwrad posted:

Varsho is a 4-5 WAR player entering the prime of his career with 4 years of team control. He's a left-handed bat with some pop at a position that is hard to fill. It allows them to move Springer to RF permanently.

He's legitimately one of the best young centerfielders in baseball and can also act as an emergency catcher. I feel like a very good prospect and one year of Teoscar Hernandez is more than fair for someone like that. Maybe it's because he was stuck in Arizona, but I think people are vastly underrating how good Varsho is. I'd take him over Luis Robert.

His entire value is tied up in his defence and he'll be playing a corner spot so this is really missing the entire context of the trade.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Like he's Harrison Bader with a couple extra years of control. That's not worth a top 5 prospect

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
I've been really busy with work so I haven't been able to keep up a ton but I still can't believe the Giants got Judge AND Correa!

Edit: wait WHAT

Spoeank fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Dec 24, 2022

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

lobster shirt posted:

yeah it's not liek they got bad players it's just that they seem to have given up more good players than they received. weird moves overall.

The total sum of transactions for the Blue Jays this winter:

Removed Gurriel Jr: Was stashed in LF because he had the yips and couldn't play 2B and had no other position open. 2022 saw all of his xbh power disappear and his base running and speed declined to career lows. Barrel % in the 12th percentile. The only reason why local fans loved him is because he had a cannon for an arm and surprised a few runners last year with some highlight reel assists. His terrible jump and route efficiency costs the Jays so many runs. I was at the point this off season begging for whatever overpay Conforto was asking for just so we can ship this clown out.

Removed Hernandez: Legit corner OF power bat.....with defense that was even worse than Gurriel. Which made no sense since he had decent wheels but his routing was always suspect ever since he arrived from Houston and always seemed to have gaffes in field which led to huge runs. He also regularly got accused of being lazy on the field but it just looked more like he couldn't read the bounce off the walls. Led to many extra runs scored for the opposition on 1st to home plays etc. For all that power, he struck out a ton and chased a lot. When he slumped....he slumped real hard flailing at slider after slider off the outside corner of the plate. A lot of good hitters can still contribute via walks if they are slumping with the bat. Teo was barrel or bust.

These two were one of the primary reasons why the Jays regularly deployed 4 man outfield shifts for the opposing team's power bats. Both were also experiencing career-low production on the base paths. If you look beyond their triple slash line, Teo graded out as an above-average starter in value and Gurriel was borderline replacement level. Beyond that, both were FAs after 2023. We also non-tendered Tapia but with Merrifield in the mix, he was expendable (and Merrifield is a defensive upgrade on Tapia).

In return, we get a short-track record reliever who has the potential to be elite and fixing one of the team's main problems in the bullpen - no swing-and-miss and an established elite defender in Vasho that can play CF if Kiermaier and Springer both go down and will be a low average, low obp power bat that might get some upside playing at Rogers Centre and 14 games in Yankee stadium with their short RF. We also got a ton of control with both guys under team control until 2026. Also added a reliable mid-tier starter.

The only piece that really hurts is Moreno who probably will become an all-star but with the Jays looking to win in the next two years before they have to make decisions on Bichette and Guererro, it makes no sense not converting him into a win-now asset. I am not a huge fan of Atkins but I think he did fine this off-season. It is obvious that given the choice, Atkins would have just gone for Conforto to cost him no futures but 2 years at 36 mil? I would pass too. Only the Giants could stomach that.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

His entire value is tied up in his defence and he'll be playing a corner spot so this is really missing the entire context of the trade.

Kiermaier is a one-year fix. Vasho will inherit CF when he leaves. Some of his defensive value will be wasted in LF but I suspect that a lot of guys will be getting robbed of xbh in the left-centre power alley in 2023 when KK and Vasho are both playing. It is likely this was plan B for Atkins since this deal only occurred after Conforto was scooped up by the Giants.

MikeC fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Dec 24, 2022

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Again, there was nothing forcing this trade. Sign Peralta for a year.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

The Jays are obviously willing to overpay for players they want. So overpay for Bryan Reynolds who's value isn't tied up in a single thing.

If Varsho doesn't hit, which is a very possible outcome cause he's merely a league average bat, you have someone you can't play cause you already have two other centre fielders (not to mention merrifeld) in a year you're trying to compete for a world series.

chilihead
Nov 5, 2010

Is this real life, or is this fantasy?

Red posted:

What is the Phillies' fascination with getting relievers destined to give up huge dingers at the worst possible time

Seriously, Dave Dombrowski. That's all you need to know.

chilihead fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Dec 24, 2022

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Lmao Jays, this is the funniest goddamn thing. My friends are losing their fuckin minds hahahahah Christmas arrived early.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

Spoeank posted:

I've been really busy with work so I haven't been able to keep up a ton but I still can't believe the Giants got Judge AND Correa!

Edit: wait WHAT

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Little bit late but that's a significant overpay from the Jays.

If that's the value of an outfielder this off-season I'd rather just ride with Chas. There's no way I'd want to trade Hunter Brown for someone like Varsho or Alek Thomas.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Pretty sure Hunter Brown isn’t going to get you close to someone like Alek Thomas

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN
Lol, lmao

https://twitter.com/ken_rosenthal/status/1606693832699138048?s=46&t=u6qMpC_v_2IEjR34gNPOdQ

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
What is going on!!!!

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

do it, jed

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

no take backsies cohen

Adbot