Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

I want them to have a one month break between the end of this season of Battlegrounds and the start of the next one. And for that one month I want ultimate Chaosgrounds; I want Buddies, Quests, Darkmoon Prizes and Diablo all going all at the same time every game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

AnacondaHL posted:

The initial implementation of BGs was fun, back when it was basically Hearthstone Mahjong, but each iteration added complexity and randomness just for the sake of it rather than anything to actually improve the mode. At the high ranks the inaction over what to do about players utilizing disconnect for an advantage killed my drive to keep up with the mode.

That's the thing, though. The same few players take the Lobby Legends slots every time, and they are streamers, generally: It's not that random and they don't do DC tricks.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely
I don't know nothing about Battlegrounds.. what the win conditions are, what the best heroes are, what minions work together and are on what tier etc etc.. I still find I can pretty regularly get in the top 4 just by picking a hero with a buff hero power (if there's one available) and buying minions based on stats.. if you just make a full board of minions and focus on spending all your gold in the first 5 or 6 turns on minions you can usually outlast 4 of the other players and squeeze out that "win" for quest completion purposes. I guess it helps that I rarely ever play Battleground so my elo is low enough that I don't end up in games with people that play it regularly or as the main focus of their attention in the game. I kind of use it as a last resort to get the "win 5 games in Arena / Duels / Tavern Brawl / BG's" quest to completion when those other game modes suck (as they do this week for example).

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Toshimo posted:

That's the thing, though. The same few players take the Lobby Legends slots every time, and they are streamers, generally: It's not that random and they don't do DC tricks.

Yea they are the same specific streamers every time because now the complexity of BGs is so artificially high only players that have a financial incentive to spend that much time in the mode get enough reps to place that high on the leaderboard (not actually being the best at the game).

And of course in competition the DC trick is banned, but I've seen pretty much every top streamer use it to varying degrees. So in a sense Lobby Legends cleaned up the very very upper echelon of the game, since there would be at least some accountability for reaching those heights without "cheating". Below that though, is a mess.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

AnacondaHL posted:

Yea they are the same specific streamers every time because now the complexity of BGs is so artificially high only players that have a financial incentive to spend that much time in the mode get enough reps to place that high on the leaderboard (not actually being the best at the game).

How is that different than every other competitive game?

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
Battlegrounds is 100% better than the Mercenaries bullshit.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Desert Bus posted:

Agreed 1000% but these folks aren’t wrong that there are some serious flaws with Battlegrounds. Why is there not a catalog of every card active in the game at any given moment? The only way you can figure out what cards exist and do is to play a *loving lot.* Even more to figure out how the tribes best synergies work, even MORE to figure out how to get non-tribes to synergize.

Example: Nagas. There’s a card early on that gets health +2 whenever you use a spellcraft. This card is p much a trap. It sounds good but it has such slow implementation and very slow scaling that it’s actually not usually worth using at all. But your average person will see that and go, hey, that scales will all my other Naga spells, perfect.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Toshimo posted:

How is that different than every other competitive game?

It's the same concept, just a matter of magnitude and imbalance. Just how much BS does one have to wade through to see how their skill at the top compares.

But tournaments like Lobby Legends are not solely tournaments of measuring skill but primarily of marketing opportunity.

The current system is advantageous to players who already have an established viewer base, and thus offer more marketability opportunity and are "easier" to work with on things like live broadcasts/cameras/interviews, they have no problem with how things are setup right now. If they actually cared about setting up a tournament to see who the best BGs player was, it would look very, very different.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Desert Bus posted:

This is also an independently true statement!

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

AnacondaHL posted:

If they actually cared about setting up a tournament to see who the best BGs player was, it would look very, very different.

Yeah, but, like does any company care about this? Are you criticizing eSports at large? Because I don't see the difference.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Sandwolf posted:

Example: Nagas. There’s a card early on that gets health +2 whenever you use a spellcraft. This card is p much a trap. It sounds good but it has such slow implementation and very slow scaling that it’s actually not usually worth using at all. But your average person will see that and go, hey, that scales will all my other Naga spells, perfect.

This is a good example of why blanket statements and "quick guides" don't work in Battlegrounds. The snail is good tempo early, and people at high MMR do take it regularly to get them through turns 3-8. You junk it eventually, but it's good design for some units to be high-tempo, low-payoff and others to be low-tempo high-payoff.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

I’m not really saying it’s bad design, it just requires such an advanced level of experience to use properly that most newer players will get frustrated why certain things aren’t paying off.

Disargeria
May 6, 2010

All Good Things are Wild and Free!
Right, like picking up a sunbacon relaxer on 5 gold, selling him and pickup up the snail gives some really solid tempo if you don’t have a tribal build coming together on your first rolls.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Toshimo posted:

Yeah, but, like does any company care about this? Are you criticizing eSports at large? Because I don't see the difference.

If you honestly can't see how different games and companies that run those games run their competitive and esports teams differently from each other, then I'm afraid we are just going to keep talking past each other so I'm going to stop here so this topic doesn't balloon way outside of Hearthstone conversation.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Disargeria posted:

Right, like picking up a sunbacon relaxer on 5 gold, selling him and pickup up the snail gives some really solid tempo if you don’t have a tribal build coming together on your first rolls.

This is probably my biggest struggle right now. Knowing when the tribal build isn’t paying off or giving me the right cards and figuring out whether to switch tribe or try one of the mixed minion setups (which I still don’t really know how to do).

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008
Good luck to you, I know you believe in hell
I would like to state for the record that I have really enjoyed Battlegrounds recently and I think the quest era has been fantastic overall. The scaling quest difficulty is great for equalizing the heroes and I think the tribes are nicely balanced currently.

Lurks With Wolves posted:

1) When in doubt, just try to push for a tribal synergy comp that other people aren't also working towards. You can see what's the most common unit type in each person's party by hovering over their icon on the left, and it's an easy way to get the kind of synergy you want if you want to last past the early-to-mid game "just buy the units that give you the most stats on board" period.

I'm going to have to disagree with this, trying to force a comp too early if you don't have the right units is usually a mistake. If a clear winning comp doesn't fall into your lap, just play the biggest tempo minions that you can buy right then and you can often squeeze a 3rd or 4th place out of almost any game.

Boatswain
May 29, 2012
What's the meta looking like now post-nerf? I haven't had much time to play the last few weeks.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

Obfuscation posted:

I'm going to have to disagree with this, trying to force a comp too early if you don't have the right units is usually a mistake. If a clear winning comp doesn't fall into your lap, just play the biggest tempo minions that you can buy right then and you can often squeeze a 3rd or 4th place out of almost any game.

Yeah, fair. I was focusing a bit too hard on trying to give advice that could summarize how to kinda sorta understand how Battleground works in one line and not enough on how far raw tempo can take you.

(But also, while I'm here, one more tip for newbies: there's a lot of highrolls in Battlegrounds, especially with quests around. Sometimes someone is just going to get something nuts and get an easy win, especially when you're in low-ranked lobbies and no one knows how to counter anything. There's a reason anything in the top four counts as a win. If it seems like someone had an impossibly good board, maybe they just got lucky. It happens, don't take it too hard.)

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

Boatswain posted:

What's the meta looking like now post-nerf? I haven't had much time to play the last few weeks.

Aggro and combo decks are in the ascendency, what else is new..

on the combo side you have shock spitter hunter and spell DH kicking rear end as tier 1 decks, whereas on the aggro side it's stuff like imp warlock, a new mage deck that tries to burn you down, and pure paladin which focuses on cheating out stats for no mana.

Boatswain
May 29, 2012
The nerf to Relic of Dimensions didn't hamper DH too much then?

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Desert Bus posted:

Mercenaries is phenomenal as a source of single player content to grind Rewards Track XP. I hit level 400 in Nathria for the first time ever thanks to Mercenaries. Oh... you mean to actually play? Yeah it's a garbage fire. Never play Mercenaries.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

NorgLyle posted:

Mercenaries is phenomenal as a source of single player content to grind Rewards Track XP. I hit level 400 in Nathria for the first time ever thanks to Mercenaries. Oh... you mean to actually play? Yeah it's a garbage fire. Never play Mercenaries.

were you playing the game or were you doing the trick where you start a game and then leave it for 30 minutes before quitting out?

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Starsfan posted:

were you playing the game or were you doing the trick where you start a game and then leave it for 30 minutes before quitting out?

I’m listening

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Starsfan posted:

Why would you quit out? Start a fight, fold your laundry, come back 29-ish minutes later and hit hit the 'Fight!' button. You'll very slowly accumulate coins to max out your mercenaries at the same time.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

^^^ok yeah or you can finish the match and start another one, but this is the 0 effort or thinking method lol

Sandwolf posted:

I’m listening

I thought that was a pretty widely known thing about mercenaries? there's no losing in that game mode if you don't play (you can take forever in single player to make a move, as long as the program is running I guess) and you gain XP at a constant rate while in game.. If you really want to get 0 effort XP you can just start a single player map, load into the first fight and then minimize the window and do other stuff for 30 minutes. 30 minutes is the cap on the XP you gain over time. After 30 minutes you go back into the game and concede and then do it again if you want.. I think you net like 300 xp each time you do that.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

DesertBus#1367

Please come borrow and try this it's AMAZING. I haven't had this much fun in this game in a long time. This deck fucks:

### hahaha gently caress off
# Class: Death Knight
# Format: Wild
#
# 1x (1) Body Bagger
# 1x (1) Heart Strike
# 1x (1) Icy Touch
# 1x (1) Noxious Cadaver
# 1x (1) Sir Finley, Sea Guide
# 1x (1) Sphere of Sapience
# 1x (2) Astalor Bloodsworn
# 1x (2) Dirty Rat
# 1x (2) Hematurge
# 1x (2) Obliterate
# 1x (2) Vampiric Blood
# 1x (2) Zephrys the Great
# 1x (3) Asphyxiate
# 1x (3) Brann Bronzebeard
# 1x (3) Chillfallen Baron
# 1x (3) Nerubian Vizier
# 1x (3) Prince Renathal
# 1x (3) Rustrot Viper
# 1x (3) Venomous Scorpid
# 1x (3) Zola the Gorgon
# 1x (4) Blademaster Okani
# 1x (4) Death Strike
# 1x (5) Blood Boil
# 1x (5) Corpse Explosion
# 1x (5) Deathbringer Saurfang
# 1x (5) Spammy Arcanist
# 1x (5) Taelan Fordring
# 1x (6) Gnome Muncher
# 1x (6) Reno Jackson
# 1x (6) Sylvanas, the Accused
# 1x (6) Theotar, the Mad Duke
# 1x (7) Alexandros Mograine
# 1x (7) Mutanus the Devourer
# 1x (7) Patchwerk
# 1x (7) The Curator
# 1x (8) Boneguard Commander
# 1x (8) Soulstealer
# 1x (9) Dragonqueen Alexstrasza
# 1x (10) Raid Boss Onyxia
# 1x (10) Sire Denathrius
#
AAEBAfHhBCi5sgLfxAL8owORsQOPzgOW6AOm7wPQ+QOoigSljQSlrQTlsATHsgTp0ASW1ASY1ASa1AS42QT04wT84wT94wT+4wSJ5ASU5ASJ5gSx5gS05gSP7QSX7wSk7wSE9gSH9gSy9wSz9wS+9wS2+gSrgAWogQWimQXipAUAAA==
#
# To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and create a new deck in Hearthstone

fanny packrat
Mar 24, 2018

Desert Bus posted:

DesertBus#1367

Please come borrow and try this it's AMAZING. I haven't had this much fun in this game in a long time. This deck fucks:

### hahaha gently caress off
# Class: Death Knight
#
# 1x (1) Body Bagger
# 1x (1) Heart Strike
# 1x (1) Icy Touch
# 1x (1) Noxious Cadaver
# 1x (1) Sphere of Sapience
# 1x (2) Astalor Bloodsworn
# 1x (2) Dirty Rat
# 1x (2) Hematurge
# 1x (2) Obliterate
# 1x (2) Vampiric Blood
# 1x (2) Zephrys the Great
# 1x (3) Asphyxiate
# 1x (3) Brann Bronzebeard
# 1x (3) Chillfallen Baron
# 1x (3) Nerubian Vizier
# 1x (3) Prince Renathal
# 1x (3) Rustrot Viper
# 1x (3) Venomous Scorpid
# 1x (3) Zola the Gorgon
# 1x (4) Blademaster Okani
# 1x (4) Death Strike
# 1x (5) Blood Boil
# 1x (5) Corpse Explosion
# 1x (5) Deathbringer Saurfang
# 1x (5) Spammy Arcanist
# 1x (5) Taelan Fordring
# 1x (6) Gnome Muncher
# 1x (6) Reno Jackson
# 1x (6) Sylvanas, the Accused
# 1x (6) Theotar, the Mad Duke
# 1x (7) Alexandros Mograine
# 1x (7) Mutanus the Devourer
# 1x (7) Patchwerk
# 1x (7) The Curator
# 1x (8) Boneguard Commander
# 1x (8) Soulstealer
# 1x (9) Dragonqueen Alexstrasza
# 1x (10) Raid Boss Onyxia
# 1x (10) Sire Denathrius
#
AAEBAfHhBCi5sgLfxAL8owORsQOPzgOW6AOm7wPQ+QOoigSljQSlrQTlsATHsgTp0ASW1ASY1ASa1AS42QT04wT84wT94wT+4wSJ5ASU5ASJ5gSx5gS05gSP7QSX7wSk7wSE9gSH9gSy9wSz9wS+9wS2+gSrgAWogQWimQXipAUAAA==
#
# To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and create a new deck in Hearthstone

What's the average game length on this, a week?

The Great Dismal
Dec 31, 2006

Boatswain posted:

The nerf to Relic of Dimensions didn't hamper DH too much then?

I'm running Quest DH at like a 75% wr in legend post nerf. The nerf to Unleash Fel hurts more since you're practically an autolose to agro druid. Anything that isn't looking to kill you by turn 5 though is winnable.

Dr. Mantis Toboggan
May 5, 2003

The only thing worse than playing Battlegrounds is watching it, and the game mode's biggest sin is getting Kripp addicted to it and taking him away from his classic, entertaining Arena streams.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

fanny packrat posted:

What's the average game length on this, a week?

I play to play the game, I give no fucks for wins or losses.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

Dr. Mantis Toboggan posted:

The only thing worse than playing Battlegrounds is watching it, and the game mode's biggest sin is getting Kripp addicted to it and taking him away from his classic, entertaining Arena streams.

Yeah... kripp's arena streams were what got me into hearthstone, no question about it.. I'm sure I'm one of tens of thousands on that front too. Too bad the arena meta was and is so awful it killed his love for the game

Navaash
Aug 15, 2001

FEED ME

Starsfan posted:

Yeah... kripp's arena streams were what got me into hearthstone, no question about it.. I'm sure I'm one of tens of thousands on that front too. Too bad the arena meta was and is so awful it killed his love for the game

Well, that and a literal cabal of griefing assholes coordinating over Discord waiting in the wings with god decks to snipe his runs. I can't blame him for moving to a mode where it's nearly impossible to do that.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

Navaash posted:

Well, that and a literal cabal of griefing assholes coordinating over Discord waiting in the wings with god decks to snipe his runs. I can't blame him for moving to a mode where it's nearly impossible to do that.

Yeah I had assumed the sniper guild was a large part of the reason he left the arena when he made the switch to BG's but even at the time he claimed that the reason was because Arena was just a dead mode to him and he wasn't enjoying it anymore (outside of any external factors) and that the reason he was playing BG's to less viewers is because he enjoyed doing that the most... I guess his reasoning was that ultimately in the long run it would be better for him from a business perspective to play a game that he enjoyed then force himself to play a game that he didn't enjoy and have his lack of interest or enthusiasm come across in a worse product for his viewers. The fact that he's never gone back to arena at any point kind of reinforces that line of reasoning in my opinion.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Starsfan posted:

When they launched Mercenaries mode, Kripp spent a week or so playing around with PvE mode and then a single night trying to actually play Mercenaries before abandoning it forever just like every sensible person. Never play Mercenaries.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Navaash posted:

Wow, seriously? That's like the most pathetic nerd thing I've ever seen on this forums I think.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Starsfan posted:

His BG streams make great YouTube videos when they’re condensed down to 20 minutes though.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

### Sir Finley, Clown
# Class: Shaman
#
# 2x (1) Murloc Tidecaller
# 1x (1) Sir Finley Mrrgglton
# 2x (1) Spawnpool Forager
# 2x (1) Toxfin
# 1x (1) Unite the Murlocs
# 2x (2) Amalgam of the Deep
# 1x (2) Firemancer Flurgl
# 2x (2) Underbelly Angler
# 2x (3) Clownfish
# 2x (3) Murloc Warleader
# 2x (3) Nofin Can Stop Us
# 2x (4) Murlocula
# 1x (4) Old Murk-Eye
# 1x (4) Scargil
# 2x (4) Tidelost Burrower
# 1x (5) Gorloc Ravager
# 1x (5) Rotgill
# 2x (7) Everyfin is Awesome
#
AAEBAc+LBQjgBYQXm8QCnJsDqO4D5bAE1bIE9KAFC78XjJQDtZgD3ewDlfADq6AEssEEws4Exc4E7tMEy+IEAA==
#

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible
The worst thing about battlegrounds is how simple and shallow it is compared to TFT. It is enormously limited by the constraints of the hearthstone game board, so eventually you learn what the strong comps are, install a deck tracker, and then the only limiting factor is your judgement of what build you can pull off, and it’s all autopilot from there.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

TyrantWD posted:

The worst thing about battlegrounds is how simple and shallow it is compared to TFT. It is enormously limited by the constraints of the hearthstone game board, so eventually you learn what the strong comps are, install a deck tracker, and then the only limiting factor is your judgement of what build you can pull off, and it’s all autopilot from there.

What? It's absolutely hilarious how people dismiss something with an obviously large skill ceiling and huge gradations as "Well, it's just autopilot".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

Frost DK Vs wildseed shockspitter hunter (I assume this is now the standard post Renathal nerf)

I keep icy touch and howling blast in the Mulligan specifically to keep him frozen, he manages to attack me twice with a weapon the entire match, and I still die to Brann double spitter devouring swarm bullshit

They still have their heads up their asses about Brann and it's getting frustrating