Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

That rocket launcher is a good reason why you don't buy the stock and scope!!

Anyways cage room is one of two rooms I save all my flashbangs for. Just cut off the crossbow problem before it even starts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Kibayasu posted:

That attache case upgrade is a good reason to never ever buy the riot gun!

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

Kibayasu posted:

I always save that free rocket launcher for a specific encounter in chapter 4-1. The twin Garradors in Chapter 4-1. If you aim right at the lowest part of the door when you spawn in, it kills both of them instantly.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
I just watched a video where it was showcasing TOP 10 SECRET BOSS KILLS IN VIDEOGAMES, and one of them is an upcoming boss, but the super secret trick is "Use Rocket Launcher". Dude, that's not really a secret or even really an exploit. It's a gameplay mechanic.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Having just finished a Professional playthrough, I'd argue that the best target for the free rocket launcher is Salazar. Such a pain in the rear end, that fight. Although I suppose Verdugo is a good target too.

theenglishman posted:

I always save that free rocket launcher for a specific encounter in chapter 4-1. The twin Garradors in Chapter 4-1. If you aim right at the lowest part of the door when you spawn in, it kills both of them instantly.
Never occurred to me but this makes a lot of sense in retrospect, defusing one of the most annoying rooms in the game.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

anilEhilated posted:

Having just finished a Professional playthrough, I'd argue that the best target for the free rocket launcher is Salazar. Such a pain in the rear end, that fight. Although I suppose Verdugo is a good target too.

Never occurred to me but this makes a lot of sense in retrospect, defusing one of the most annoying rooms in the game.

They're both great uses and two fights that I often find get annoying for me. I usually lean towards the one you mention though, as I find that one more of a pain overall to get through the regular way.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
Let's be honest. It's a rocket launcher.

There's no wrong way to use it so long as something explodes.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

anilEhilated posted:

I use it on the second option because I've missed too many times on the first.

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

Kibayasu posted:

I use it on the second option because I've missed too many times on the first.

I wouldn’t recommend the second option unless you’re going for all treasures. That fight is actually timed, I think it takes five minutes for the elevator to arrive and you don’t have to kill that enemy - though getting past it is pretty tough, especially if you’re playing at 60fps where the QTE window is much tighter.

Mr. Vile
Nov 25, 2009

And, where there is treasure, there will be Air Pirates.
Fun fact: In the Gamecube version, Ashley can indeed suplex enemies. You just have to stagger them first by slamming a door open into their faces. Sadly, it was fixed in later versions.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

Hi. I forgot your name. Whatever.
My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

(Uncut Commentary | Cutscene Friendly)

Ashley's back! Time for the commentary to become complete nonsense again.

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

Strange RE4 fact: when you go into the map, there is an option for you toggle on/off markers for the merchant, typewriters, and sub-missions (e.g. shooting the blue medallions in the farm). This feature is completely useless, possibly counterintuitive if you stumble on it by accident and don't know what you're doing, and I have absolutely no clue what it's doing there.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Is there an argument about the magnums? If I remember correctly, the Killer7 is overpriced garbage.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Dec 23, 2022

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

anilEhilated posted:

Is there an argument about the magnums? If I remember correctly, the Killer7 is overpriced garbage.

Sort of.

The Killer7 starts at 25, reaches 35 at the maximum of 2 Firepower upgrades. Broken Butterfly starts at 13 and reaches a whopping 50 with five Firepower upgrades and the exclusive (which also requires every other upgrade). It takes a metric fuckton of extra cash to keep the BB better, which can be hard to come by if you're profligate with your spending, sell treasures for less than the maximum value, miss things, and ignore the Shooting Gallery. The Killer7 also maxes out at 14 rounds, while the BB can only hit 12.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

ThornBrain posted:

Ashley's back!

And there she goes again!

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

One thing in this segment that always makes me crack up laughing is Ashley's super formal pose when she sits in the little transit car.

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!
I'm the guy who finishes every Resident Evil game with 50 some rounds of Magnum ammo because I save it for that time I'm gonna REALLY need it. And then the game is over.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Ah yes, the Giant Robot Crab Syndrome.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

anilEhilated posted:

The Broken Butterfly has the superior (and unique) reload animation, while the Killer 7 has a bog-standard reload animation. :colbert:

I do approve of both Travis and Thorn playing up Leon's dorkier side, though. That is never going to get old.

Bobsedgws
Jun 12, 2009
College Slice
One dumb thing I remember from when I played this like 10 years ago was that you could double tap the open door button to kick though it, but you could do that at any point during the opening animation, including right at the end so Leon would kick a mostly empty open doorway if you got the timing juuust right.

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

anilEhilated posted:

To be fair, KAEDE Smith's magnum from Killer7, which that gun is based on, also sucks.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Every once in a while there'll be something I've never noticed in a game I've played dozens of times over multiple decades. Today that thing is Rolf.

Seriously, what is even going on with him?? :psyduck:

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

My favorite thing about the lava room is the final staircase that requires you to dunk someone in the lava to access it.

"Sorry, Greg, I gotta stash this key in the chest back there"

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Gnoman posted:

Sort of.

The Killer7 starts at 25, reaches 35 at the maximum of 2 Firepower upgrades. Broken Butterfly starts at 13 and reaches a whopping 50 with five Firepower upgrades and the exclusive (which also requires every other upgrade). It takes a metric fuckton of extra cash to keep the BB better, which can be hard to come by if you're profligate with your spending, sell treasures for less than the maximum value, miss things, and ignore the Shooting Gallery. The Killer7 also maxes out at 14 rounds, while the BB can only hit 12.
I guess. For me the deciding point is that you get the Broken Butterfly for free wheareas the other one you have to buy.

Speaking of Rolf, I also only really noticed him on my last playthrough a couple days ago, although my initial response was "Donald Trump being a member of Los Illuminados explains so much."

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Chapter 4 is where the devs said "gently caress it, we're an action game now". Yes I know it's always been an action game, but the tone and set pieces really make a permanent shift towards that genre starting now.

Like why is there a lava room in this castle? Where did that excavator drill come from?

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

C-Euro posted:

Like why is there a lava room in this castle?
When you're a supervillain with a big supervillain lair like this castle, you just have to have a lava room. It's part of the proper supervillain etiquette. And besides, you never know when you might need a lava room.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

C-Euro posted:

Chapter 4 is where the devs said "gently caress it, we're an action game now". Yes I know it's always been an action game, but the tone and set pieces really make a permanent shift towards that genre starting now.

Like why is there a lava room in this castle? Where did that excavator drill come from?

Actually I think these two things are related.

:argh: Why is there a lava room in the castle now?

:zombie: Well, you see the excavator dug too deeply into the Earth's crust, and now the castle is heated with geo-thermal.

:argh: Wait, why do we have an excavator?

:zombie: Oh, well, it's the fastest way to dig up precious gemstones to occupy the 6ft tall bug men. Keeps them from attacking our own men.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

How do we know they're not using the bugs to dig up the gems?
And then they get to keep some of them for themselves as payment.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Cooked Auto posted:

How do we know they're not using the bugs to dig up the gems?
And then they get to keep some of them for themselves as payment.

: And now that my control over the parasite is complete, We can proceed with our one true goal!
: Yes Lord Saddler, World domination!
: (....poo poo i was gonna say reopen the gem mine with ultracheap brainwashed labor)

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

C-Euro posted:

Nowhere near the silliest room in the castle. That's part of what makes this game so special.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

Hi. I forgot your name. Whatever.
My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

(Uncut Commentary | Cutscene Friendly)

Part 12 is up 12 hours early because I forgot to set it to 12PM rather than 12AM. I kinda wish I did that intentionally, but nope, just scatterbrained. :v:

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
Hey, I can live with that! I like that sort of mistake, unless it makes your life harder.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

The Striker is so good that it is the other reason not to buy the Riot Gun - even if it were more of an upgrade over the starting shotgun, it becomes totally obsolete so quickly.

I've never had any trouble with that two-Garradores room. A mine dart anywhere on their back is a one-hit kill, and if you didn't buy that you can make short work of them with the Magnum. Magnum ammo isn't that scarce in this game, especially if you remember that upgrading capacity on a loaded gun is the same as throwing all the ammo in it into the trash.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Gnoman posted:

I've never had any trouble with that two-Garradores room. A mine dart anywhere on their back is a one-hit kill,
Only on Normal. Magnum ammo becomes a lot more precious on Professional too.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Dec 30, 2022

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

I rarely play unlockable difficulties because I usually lose my save (or am playing on a different version) before I feel like doing another playthrough. So I'm not familiar with Professional mode.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Has...has that typewriter by the bridge ambush always been there? I've played three different versions of this game, and either never noticed it or just forgot it was there.

E: Also man is 4-1 long. Reminder that we started this chapter by being reunited with Ashley!

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Dec 31, 2022

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
Interestingly, there is a glitch with the Striker which speeds up your movement and knife attacks. The glitch is heavily used in speedruns of this game.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
I knew what was coming up cause I remember when Maxwell was killed so brutally, it broke that game.

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

C-Euro posted:

Has...has that typewriter by the bridge ambush always been there? I've played three different versions of this game, and either never noticed it or just forgot it was there.

It wasn't on GameCube. I think it was added in either the PS2 or Wii version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I like the dual Garrador room, although it can be a pretty swingy fight. On the whole, there's enough room to constantly be running around that can make it a bit easier to handle, but sometimes things just really go south. I like the detail that one of them is kind of a weak nerdy looking one, and the other is the usual big beefy dude.
And yeah, it is pretty weird to see them walk around after clearing other enemies out, it's funny how they gravitate towards you a lot of the time. They always reminded me of performers at a haunted house or something, who are playing someone blind but also have to keep things interesting for the guests.

e: Oh lol, I don't think I ever tried to use the RPG on the Verdugo fight, that sure makes it easy. I actually don't mind all the QTE stuff for that extended scene, so it'd be more of a novelty for me. I did forget that it carries one of the crown pieces though, I usually book it out of there when the elevator shows up so I miss it most of the time.

Captain Hygiene fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Dec 31, 2022