Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OPAONI
Jul 23, 2021

Fyadophobic posted:

I have been trying hard to get into K6BD, it feels like something I should be into, the art is amazing and the worldbuilding is cool, etc. etc. Thinking about what isn't clicking for me, now I realize a big part is the pacing. For a comic that has such an insane amount of sheer stuff happing on each page and every panel, I still feel like very little has actually happened I have very little emotional investment in any of the characters so far. Sometimes it feels like there is so much detail and so much stuff happening that it interferes with the story's conveyance/readability, and the important parts of the signal get lost in the noise.

We're around eighty pages in now. Eighty pages. To put that into perspective, by page eighty Ten Earth Shattering Blows was already well into the big desert chase scene. By page eighty of Forming, Rhea was leaving to fight Ghob. By page eighty of Hitmen for Destiny, they were already on the cave exploring arc. Meanwhile, in K6BD, I still don't really feel like I have much insight into the main drivers of the story other than 'protagonist is confused and scared, still' and 'everybody wants the key'. Which aren't BAD motivators per se, it just feels like we have spent eighty pages reinforcing these two ideas over and over rather than building on them with new layers of nuance. I don't know, maybe the world building is just going over my head.

I think the pacing would be improved a lot if there were more lacunae between the busiest, most action oriented scenes. So far my favorite sequence in the story and the part I felt most invested in was when Alison woke up and she and the angel talked and drank coffee, and I think the story would benefit from more quiet moments like that.
I do think that Ten Earth-Shattering Blows does the highly-detailed scenes with tons of chaos and everything happening at once thing better than K6BD does. And part of that is because TESB does take those moments to slow down and let the characters breathe before reveling in more chaos.

Having said all that I definitely don't think K6BD is a bad webcomic or a bad story. I know a lot of people for whom this kind of slow-paced, lore heavy, information rich storytelling is like catnip. I think it's just not a natural fit for me as a reader.

K6BD doesn't really pick up until a few dozen pages from where we are in the story. The Mottom arc is 1. Really good and 2. character driven.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

lol oh poo poo

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Yea stick with it. There are plenty of those moments you are asking for.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Kit Walker posted:

Kill Six Billion Demons
Extra page for overall flow

Full Size
Alt text: Dieu et mon droit

Alt text: Deity's for dinner

Alt text: "Consider: there is no such thing as a sword." - Meti's Sword Manual

Alt text: "Consider: an undefeated swordsman must be exceptionally poor." - Meti's sword manual

the baddies throwing a tea party reminds me of robert jordan's wheel of time's forsakens

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Tree Bucket posted:

We have a lot of black and white art in this thread atm! Which means-

Oh poo poo, something I've been posting has been featured in a Tree Bucket mash up! I've made it, I've hit the big time \o/

That's a pretty good Alex, by the way.

Emzedoh posted:

And then it got worse.

There it is, an rationale of sorts for the game of thrones nonsense. Anyway, back to the conquering.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Any word if K6BD is releasing a complete book set when it's all done?

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Any word if K6BD is releasing a complete book set when it's all done?

no, but my guess is that there will be a patreon

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Kids these days with your patreons and gofindmes! How about you go find me a publication date!

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
When k6bd was first coming out and largely unproven, what made people go "No, no stick with it, I bet it'll get better." What's the signifier for potential? I'm asking from a technical stand point to learn / discuss, not a "Pffft what even is there" standpoint to be clear. I'm not super clicking with it, but it's pretty, and I wonder how much people are willing to put up with are directly related to the art, or if there are signifiers of quality that tickle the brain and makes someone go "I bet this is going to get good 3 years from now..."

e: I hope I asked thsi in a way that didn't make me sound like a poo poo head.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Its when they started kissing and doing the fusion dance.

Or the next chapter which has an amazing battle ahead. :3:

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Emzedoh posted:

There it is, an rationale of sorts for the game of thrones nonsense. Anyway, back to the conquering.

Shenanigans! Alexander and his men would have known Kandahar as Alexandria, since they founded it. It would be centuries before the name evolved into Kandahar in the local dialect.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

Boba Pearl posted:

When k6bd was first coming out and largely unproven, what made people go "No, no stick with it, I bet it'll get better." What's the signifier for potential? I'm asking from a technical stand point to learn / discuss, not a "Pffft what even is there" standpoint to be clear. I'm not super clicking with it, but it's pretty, and I wonder how much people are willing to put up with are directly related to the art, or if there are signifiers of quality that tickle the brain and makes someone go "I bet this is going to get good 3 years from now..."

art was a big part for me, especially the big splash pages. also really liked the extra text that was going with it

also i just like ultra violence and bad rear end fight scenes in comics. i'm the fool who takes the wrong lessons from the great outdoor fight

Blackula Vs. Tarantula
Jul 6, 2005

😤I am NOT Captain_Redbeard🧔

Boba Pearl posted:

For me it was mostly the art. The page with Allison getting the key embedded in her forehead, the page when her skeleton appears upside down in throne.

I'm also a sucker for stories that use fantasy as a lens for sexuality and gender. So the comic starting with sex, and Preem Vash taunting white chain, Allison calling white chain "lady" which they assumed was an insult, it all teased that something great might be coming.

I also like stories that conflate violence and eroticism and there's a bit of that in the alt texts, descriptions of what the conquering king must be like, meti's writings etc

Blackula Vs. Tarantula
Jul 6, 2005

😤I am NOT Captain_Redbeard🧔
Quote not edit

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010

Boba Pearl posted:

The drinking contest.
And the reaction to her winning it.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

vyelkin posted:

Hell yeah fantastic work as always, only Joost is missing

Jojo art is really really hard to copy.
That's jazz, baby!!

MokBa posted:

How are you this good at it every time? As a fellow artist I am genuinely amazed at your ability to copy and synthesize all these styles. And your HAV Alexander is very close to how Beaton actually drew him.

I honestly don't know. I just sort of look at thing A, and then thing B, and then I know what to draw. I've managed to sell a few of these, which is basically the same idea:

It must be a matter of brain wiring. I can churn out an art grid in an hour or so, but procedures with numbered steps and quantities make my head feel like it's filled with splintery blocks of wood. So, well, pros and cons...

Tree Bucket has a new favorite as of 23:24 on Dec 23, 2022

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Tree Bucket posted:

Jojo art is really really hard to copy.
That's jazz, baby!!

I honestly don't know. I just sort of look at thing A, and then thing B, and then I know what to draw. I've managed to sell a bunch of these, which is basically the same idea:

It must be a matter of brain wiring. I can churn out an art grid in an hour or so, but procedures with numbered steps and quantities make my head feel like it's filled with splintery blocks of wood. So, well, pros and cons...

That's cute as hell where can it be bought

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

the holy poopacy posted:

Shenanigans! Alexander and his men would have known Kandahar as Alexandria, since they founded it. It would be centuries before the name evolved into Kandahar in the local dialect.

Wikipedia says there was an Achaemenid outpost there beforehand, but you're right, the comic doesn't make much of a deal of Alex's habit of founding cities wherever he went.

As for K6BD, I've been following it in real time since chapter 1 and I got to be honest, I've never had problems with pacing or characterisation or anything. I just really vibed with the setting and the supplementary writing, I guess. The overall style really matched my taste and I've never been afraid of a confusing in media res sort of opening.

I really think people are sleeping on the short stories and story fragments, though. They're so cool, Meti's Sword Manual, Aesma's complete bullshit, Prim and the road and especially later on the Tale of Yaun, I'd read a book of these completely separate from the comic itself.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Boba Pearl posted:

you're fine :)

For me, it's several things. I'm enthralled by the art because of how much detail the artist likes to use. The roughness has a strong appeal for me, I know it puts some people off but I feel like it works for the setting and tone of the story anyway. It's very imaginative and evocative with how it presents these realms and people to you. It's for sure explaining a lot, but also leaving a lot unsaid and implied, either for the reader to imagine, or to be explored later. Someone said it feels very Dark Souls, and I have to agree. It's def very different from Dark Souls in most of the details, but as for the overall impression the story leaves me with, all the bits and pieces you learn about the world feels similar to when DS was giving me bits and pieces about the world of Lordran. Lots of names and places that wash over me, but still grasping the overall shape of "world-shattering mythical events happening, then a crumbling and re-crumbling of the old orders until we get to today." It's somewhat slowly paced in terms of Things Happening, as Fyadophobic pointed out, and that type of story usually struggles to hold my attention but K6BD works for me because everything about it is so good that I like to take my time with every page anyway. The things people say to each other and how they say them, hinting what the pecking order and hidden or overt conflicts may be, are fun to read, and the art also provides a lot to look at to examine the world by.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
I feel like it was also a bit easier to absorb details when the comic was coming out page by page early on than reading it all at once

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
i curse you for introducing the concept of major mitchell penguins to me and the fact i'll never get to see one

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Mx. posted:

That's cute as hell where can it be bought

I have a very neglected redbubble page.
https://www.redbubble.com/i/art-print/The-Avigraph-by-Tree-Bucket/112491414.1G4ZT?asc=u
Although posting product links to the thread feels kind of iffy, so I'm happy to delete it if need be

World Famous W posted:

i curse you for introducing the concept of major mitchell penguins to me and the fact i'll never get to see one

Why can't everything be spotted pardalote colours

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

For me, it's several things. I'm enthralled by the art because of how much detail the artist likes to use. The roughness has a strong appeal for me, I know it puts some people off but I feel like it works for the setting and tone of the story anyway.

I agree with all your points, but what do you mean by "roughness"? Interesting word.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Digamma-F-Wau posted:

I feel like it was also a bit easier to absorb details when the comic was coming out page by page early on than reading it all at once

This is not a criticism of it being posted or how, but I'm also having trouble re-getting it in Imgur/thread format, to the point where I'm just reading those pages on the site again. And if phone reading, no way Jose.

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

K6BD is definitely not phone friendly, and especially not reposted on SA via imgur phone friendly.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Emzedoh posted:

K6BD is definitely not phone friendly, and especially not reposted on SA via imgur phone friendly.

Is this an app issue? It's perfectly fine on phone with Chrome browser.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Tree Bucket posted:

I agree with all your points, but what do you mean by "roughness"? Interesting word.
I don't really have a good artistic vocabulary so I went with roughness to describe the overall impression I get of the art. Sometimes the lines are a little jittery, sometimes there's a lot of little lines, sometimes it looks a little sketchy in places, but it seems to be all purposeful, at least to me.

I think a good example of what I mean is this pair of panels showing the Queen of Worms and Solomon:

Abaddon uses a lot of little dots and lines to add detail to faces, which works great and feels congruent for realistic faces like Solomon's, and for horrors like Mottom and that bat-gollum thing. But the lady's face is a bit more cartoony and exaggerated in the features and expressions, especially with the eyes, and while it has less detail drawn in, it still has a lot of the wrinkles and folds, which feels a little weird and off-putting. And yeah that's the Queen of Worms, she should be off-putting, but it's the same for Allison. It's that occasional slight incongruence of something about the art that I mean by "roughness," because I feel like it's the kind of thing that the artist could spend however long agonizing over to make it more polished, but also probably not for much gain, because it's part of what gives the art and K6BD its character.

Put another way, it's like hearing the finger squeaks in an acoustic guitar recording. It's a product of the creation process, and it can be polished out, but I like it, and leaving it in can also be an artistic choice.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Kennel posted:

Is this an app issue? It's perfectly fine on phone with Chrome browser.

I meant phone reading in thread/app yes

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Emzedoh posted:

As for K6BD, I've been following it in real time since chapter 1 and I got to be honest, I've never had problems with pacing or characterisation or anything. I just really vibed with the setting and the supplementary writing, I guess. The overall style really matched my taste and I've never been afraid of a confusing in media res sort of opening.

I really think people are sleeping on the short stories and story fragments, though. They're so cool, Meti's Sword Manual, Aesma's complete bullshit, Prim and the road and especially later on the Tale of Yaun, I'd read a book of these completely separate from the comic itself.

This is my own feelings in a nutshell. The art is pretty cool and I was super into the side stories. It all gave me confidence that the story was going towards some cool directions in terms of themes and philosophy. I think I started a bit into book 2, which we’re almost up to, and the next few scenes really hooked me in

Also agreed on the side stories being good as hell. There’s one in particular that I keep returning to because it’s so satisfying (building the tower). My next three posts will just be a page each because they’re about Aesma and the masters of the universe and each one is quite long as is. Also very worth reading in case anyone is still sleeping on them

And, speaking of pacing, I dunno if changing the pacing from how it is would really improve anything? We’ve established three main characters and what they can do, we’ve been introduced to the wildly alien setting, what exactly led to its current state, and have a pretty good sense of how cutthroat it is. We also know a bit about the nature of the antagonists, their threat level (extremely high), and why things are going to escalate. Allison herself hasn’t done much yet, but that in itself is establishing just how far she’s gonna have to go

e: also I am curious about what issue people have with reading it on the phone. I can see everything perfectly fine on my phone on Safari of all things

Kit Walker has a new favorite as of 00:02 on Dec 24, 2022

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I think it's an app thing, because it's also slightly blurry for me in app and I have to open the image separately and zoom in to read it

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
I think also there's a big difference in expectation of you read the comic as it came out, compared to reading because everyone is telling you how awesome it is (and it is). When we read these as freshly minted pages, we weren't wondering what everyone was talking about, we weren't looking for the promised hook, we were enjoying the spectacle as spectacle and then Operant snuck in the really rad poo poo when our guard was down.

Like, if you'll forgive the comparison but the amount of hype and evangelism is similar, it's impossible to experience Undertale now the same way that the people who played the demo did.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Have even more Ranking of Kings

Chapter 44

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Uramachi Sakaba

I hate it when my heavy machinery goes feral

carrionman
Oct 30, 2010
In a world of lovely gamer comics and slice of life bullshit K6BD is a welcome breath of fresh air.
I'm a sucker for any media that implies there is an entire history behind the events we get to see, stuff like lord of the rings, fromsoft games, that kind of thing where even if the characters are why things are occurring it's the history and the backstory that influence how events play out.
Stuff that revolves entirely around the main characters and is entirely driven by their actions just feels a little hollow.
See also: every drat piece of star wars media ever.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

carrionman posted:

See also: every drat piece of star wars media ever.

Except Andor

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Peanuts on Lexapro

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
I love KSBD but I'd say that the PYF thread style isn't how I'd recommend reading it for the first time. When I first read it I felt drawn from one page to the next by the promise of more wild visuals, and before I'd even realised it I was hundreds of pages deep and invested in the world and characters. The drip feed of a few pages a day does really sap the momentum of the comic; even now when new pages get released I prefer to build up a backlog and then binge through them all at once.

80 pages feels a lot longer reading them 6 at a time rather them letting them wash over you all at once and figuring out what's important afterwards.

e-dt
Sep 16, 2019

To my mind, the most interesting thing here is that there is a place doctors can send patients when they need to be killed.

This strip is not a one-off.

chew chew chew shiver chew chew

JosephSkunk
Dec 16, 2003
Yes, evidently you had misperceived it as rain.

readingatwork posted:

Have even more Ranking of Kings

Chapter 44

Thank you so much for these, i lovef this story

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Vagabong posted:

I love KSBD but I'd say that the PYF thread style isn't how I'd recommend reading it for the first time. When I first read it I felt drawn from one page to the next by the promise of more wild visuals, and before I'd even realised it I was hundreds of pages deep and invested in the world and characters. The drip feed of a few pages a day does really sap the momentum of the comic; even now when new pages get released I prefer to build up a backlog and then binge through them all at once.

80 pages feels a lot longer reading them 6 at a time rather them letting them wash over you all at once and figuring out what's important afterwards.

It works for me because 1 page at a time (weekly iirc) would drive me crazy and I'd give up on it until it was done, and I don't want to binge it because then I'd skim over the art. This way lets me appreciate it a few pages at a time. Which is also true of the other comics are being posted itt tbh, but especially for K6BD for its visually dense art

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

And here we have the single best one-off Achewood strip in the entire run, and the start of another knockout classic Achewood plot. 2006 was a REALLY good year for Achewood. I say "The End! No Moral!" daily.