Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!
Finishing up with fixing an ancient step through Peugeot that my friend fished out of an estate/yard sale. The friend is new to cycling as an adult and in the city, so how much peer pressure is too much peer pressure?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Mauser posted:

Finishing up with fixing an ancient step through Peugeot that my friend fished out of an estate/yard sale. The friend is new to cycling as an adult and in the city, so how much peer pressure is too much peer pressure?

Here's what I've found helpful:
Ride their route with them at an off-peak time so they don't have any stress about where to go.
Ride their route with them during commute times so they can see how to navigate peak traffic safely.
Encourage but don't push.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

That's great advice. I was mostly joking because we're good friends and both busy, so I already prepped them for intermittent invites

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Absolutely hate helmet lights. Utterly anti-social and I have several considered getting my own only to be used against twats who leave their on at all times and blind everyone they look at.
(I had one for night time snowboarding that would probably blind them for a few hours, that I considered using, but switching it on and off was a bit of a pain).
I have a fuckoff big MTB light on my cargo commuter for this very purpose. If you have a floody light blinding everyone you get a 20w beam to the face.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

gently caress. If you notice your brakes are loose make sure you tighten that poo poo up before you go out again because it saved me from smashing into the driver side door of someone who had every ability to see me entering the intersection, no parked cars blocking the view and my bright rear light on in daylight. They sped around in front of me and then slowed down.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
If you're ever wondering "Do they make clothes for commuting in this cold? Could I commute in the winter where I live?" the answer is yes, buy ski clothes. It was -35 F wind chill this morning and -25 home, and with ski coat, ski socks, long johns, and ski buff, helmet, and goggles it was entirely fine for a 20 minute commute. Getting to work I felt a little chill by the end in my fingertips and toes, and I was warm enough to be sweating heading home.

Ski clothes are magic and if you have no exposed skin and pogies/really good gloves you can bike through anything. Thanks for coming to my ted talk.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

If you're ever wondering "Do they make clothes for commuting in this cold? Could I commute in the winter where I live?" the answer is yes, buy ski clothes. It was -35 F wind chill this morning and -25 home, and with ski coat, ski socks, long johns, and ski buff, helmet, and goggles it was entirely fine for a 20 minute commute. Getting to work I felt a little chill by the end in my fingertips and toes, and I was warm enough to be sweating heading home.

Ski clothes are magic and if you have no exposed skin and pogies/really good gloves you can bike through anything. Thanks for coming to my ted talk.

No exposed skin and no loose fitting cuffs/waistbands so cold can't sneak in.

Which reminds me I really need new gloves...

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

If anything the problem is how hot buildings are after a ride. I have to wear layers that I can strip off once I get to the office.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
I am the wimpiest wimp here. All of this winter-riding talk and I came in here to tell y'all about my first commuting crash.

It's high summer here in Australia, and last Thursday was commute number 244 - only about 6.5 km each way, about 80% on MUP and the road parts nearly entirely on quieter roads with cycle symbols on the asphalt. This must have been the first time, or the first time in more than a year, that I've ridden in rain. I tried to take the roundabout above the nice fast on-road descent at the same speed I usually do, around 25 km/h, and the rain-slicked road let my back wheel slide outwards and I went down on my right side. Banged up my hand and arm, put a bruise on my leg, and I think I've bent something at the rear derailleur - shifting is not smooth and the chain jumps a bit under load. Somehow I've made it this far and this is my first unintended dismount. Wimping out and getting my wife to drive me to work (or taking the car myself) on less-than-sunny days has probably contributed.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
That sounds very similar to my first near-crash as a newbie motorcycle rider. First rain in a good long while (danger!) and what I thought was moderate speed in a roundabout and suddenly both wheels were sliding sideways. I hit some kind of fluid spill that combined with the rain meant there was no grip at all on that patch of asphalt. It happens.

Glad you're mostly okay. Only things I can add is that while uncommon, bike tires do exist that are shockingly bad in the wet. Also rain can be tricky even on good tires. Brakes work differently. Painted lines, manhole covers etc. can get real slick. Also first rain in a while means there's all sorts of things floating to the surface including pollen and drops of oil from cars etc. It doesn't take much.

Any bike wrencher should be able to tweak your shifter back into shape in a jiffy unless you can restore function with just some cable adjustment.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

ExecuDork posted:

I am the wimpiest wimp here. All of this winter-riding talk and I came in here to tell y'all about my first commuting crash.

It's high summer here in Australia, and last Thursday was commute number 244 - only about 6.5 km each way, about 80% on MUP and the road parts nearly entirely on quieter roads with cycle symbols on the asphalt. This must have been the first time, or the first time in more than a year, that I've ridden in rain. I tried to take the roundabout above the nice fast on-road descent at the same speed I usually do, around 25 km/h, and the rain-slicked road let my back wheel slide outwards and I went down on my right side. Banged up my hand and arm, put a bruise on my leg, and I think I've bent something at the rear derailleur - shifting is not smooth and the chain jumps a bit under load. Somehow I've made it this far and this is my first unintended dismount. Wimping out and getting my wife to drive me to work (or taking the car myself) on less-than-sunny days has probably contributed.

sounds like at the very least your hanger is bent. Derailleurs typically attach to the frame via a removeable aluminum bracket called a derailleur hanger. They are designed to fail/bend before the frame. Sometimes on steel bikes the hanger is part of the frame. Best get someone practiced to put it back in the right position

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Picked it up this morning from the LBS, they put a new derailleur on it (and replaced the inner cable). The hanger wasn't bent, the part of the derailleur that houses the two cogs and hangs from the hanger was split a bit (the two halves of the metal frame were bent apart near one of the cogs and the whole structure was slightly twisted).

I continued my somewhat-haphazard policy of replacing broken bits with better versions, so it was a $60 Acera rather than a $40 whatever-was-on-there-from-the-factory (plus they had the Acera in stock and would have needed to order in the other).

It shifts and generally runs very smoothly now. Happiness is a near-silent drivetrain.

I'm not upset about the crash at all, really. It helps that the wrap my wife put around my road-rashed forearm was black and had a badass skull-and-crossbones pattern. And we learned a new word: "avulsion" (for the 1cm patch of skin near my elbow that is now one with the asphalt). I'm pretty impressed that I made it nearly 250 round trips before it happened.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

ExecuDork posted:

Happiness is a near-silent drivetrain.
Word.

I was thinking about how I don't really crash much anymore, thought some more and realised that sure I do. I've just been fortunate that it's been mostly low speed stuff with no blood recently. Last winter I got a bruised elbow in the snow just outside work and before that a diagonal wet leaf curb crossing washout that broke a few spokes. Before that the spectacular gravel induced high-sider that sent me flying for a bit until I ended up in a well placed soft shrubbery and didn't hurt myself at all. Oh and that time I went out on the glassy ice on the lake with worn out studded tires and fell like ten times in a day though that hardly counts since I was being silly. And when the bakfiets front end got crushed under a BMW, that one sucked, though I never fell off so maybe that one doesn't count either.

Glad to hear you're okay and back in the saddle. An LBS is a blessed thing to have when you need them.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

If you're ever wondering "Do they make clothes for commuting in this cold? Could I commute in the winter where I live?" the answer is yes, buy ski clothes.
Yeah I wear pretty much what I'd wear to ski when I commute in truly adverse weather and it's peachy. Takes like a minute or two to take off at work though.

Invalido posted:

I was thinking about how I don't really crash much anymore, thought some more and realised that sure I do. I've just been fortunate that it's been mostly low speed stuff with no blood recently. Last winter I got a bruised elbow in the snow just outside work and before that a diagonal wet leaf curb crossing washout that broke a few spokes. Before that the spectacular gravel induced high-sider that sent me flying for a bit until I ended up in a well placed soft shrubbery and didn't hurt myself at all. Oh and that time I went out on the glassy ice on the lake with worn out studded tires and fell like ten times in a day though that hardly counts since I was being silly. And when the bakfiets front end got crushed under a BMW, that one sucked, though I never fell off so maybe that one doesn't count either.
JFC. My last crash was last winter when a just-thick-enough layer of dry snow hid a frozen puddle in the middle of a sweeping turn.

ExecuDork posted:

I swear freshly rained-on roads are as slick as ice after the first precip in a while.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Jan 17, 2023

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I dropped my bike slightly last week when I tried to get on a low curb at a very parallel angle in soaking wet ground. Should have take on the curb with a larger angle. Was wearing knee warmer but still got a small cut on the knee.

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

stephenthinkpad posted:

I dropped my bike slightly last week when I tried to get on a low curb at a very parallel angle in soaking wet ground. Should have take on the curb with a larger angle. Was wearing knee warmer but still got a small cut on the knee.

this is how all 3 of my last tumbles happened. side streets where I am all have a low curb and it still catches me off guard as an American. generally only an issue when wet, but I still try to roll over them now as close to perpendicular as possible

this poo poo:

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
Yeah curbs at an angle is always sketchy. Dry clean conditions and good (preferably wide) tires help with going more shallow safely, but the only completely safe way to do it is to bunny hop them and not mess up. A loaded commuter bike rarely lends itself to this move either, I gotta think on what's in the panniers before attempting it.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

current state of the main whip

It's a 2021 bullitt with e6100, no control computer (just the little bluetooth doohikey) and a single shifter, inter5 hub and gates belt.

Since then it's received a canecreek thudbuster lt post, larger brakes with hope calipers (+ rainbow piston caps :gifttank: ), rack and pannier, and lighting upgrades front and back from Lupine.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Jan 17, 2023

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How does that front wheel turn?

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

evil_bunnY posted:

Since then it's received a canecreek thudbuster lt post, larger brakes with hope calipers (+ rainbow piston caps :gifttank: ), rack and pannier, and lighting upgrades front and back from Lupine.

you can't post this without inuding an updated photo, sorry

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Mauser posted:

How does that front wheel turn?

Steering linkage

e: this is just for illustration -- not the same exact design. Some bakfiets use cables instead of links.

kimbo305 fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Jan 17, 2023

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
Bullits are sweet, that one is gorgeous.

My ancient SCO Long John bakfiets is currently being rebuilt. I had it down to bare steel and did some frame surgery, structural and otherwise. This is how it sits now:

POR-15 coating under a more normal paint for UV protection. I managed to source new tin for it so it's getting all shiny fenders and chain guard. Also new bottom bracket and head tube bearings (front and rear), crank and a few more odds and ends. It is becoming a true bike of Theseus, only sections of the frame will be original or unmodified when it's done. Building a new box and re-doing all the electrical stuff remains. The old box out of concrete form plywood lasted almost a decade being parked outside so I guess I can't complain, new one will be plywood/fiberglass laminate, hopefully it will last a long time and be a good deal lighter. Also building a new center stand which I haven't even started on. No gates conversion this time but I'm sure it would happen if this was still the main commuter whip. They kids are too big to ride double and can walk/bike themselves to most places these days so it's more of a grocery hauler and general local runabout.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

kimbo305 posted:

Steering linkage

e: this is just for illustration -- not the same exact design. Some bakfiets use cables instead of links.

Wanna take that bike out ice fishing holy poo poo I could carry all the gear.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I’m the front brake cable run to a caliper with no wheel

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

EvilJoven posted:

Wanna take that bike out ice fishing holy poo poo I could carry all the gear.

Box bikes make excellent gear haulers. Mine isn't quite as long as that thing but it still packs a good sized load no issue:

I've never taken it ice fishing but I sometimes take it out on the ice when it's touring skate time. And all sorts of odd errands really. Tremendously useful vehicles in general, box bikes.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

webcams for christ posted:

you can't post this without inuding an updated photo, sorry
Those are the upgrades since new, they're in the pic my guy!

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Invalido posted:

Bullits are sweet, that one is gorgeous.

My ancient SCO Long John bakfiets is currently being rebuilt
This looks excellent. That motor is ridiculous.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

evil_bunnY posted:

This looks excellent. That motor is ridiculous.

I think it's the 20" rim screwing with proportions - it's just a direct drive 500w 36v motor so in no way extreme. Big dumb heavy low-tech, but has its advantages. Regen braking is super sweet especially when heavy, so is fwd in snow oddly enough. Also dead nuts reliable, it just needs new bearings every once in a while since winter riding through salt water is pretty unkind to those. I've upgraded to what I hope is quality axle seals so maybe that's in the past, we'll see.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Invalido posted:

I think it's the 20" rim screwing with proportions - it's just a direct drive 500w 36v motor so in no way extreme. Big dumb heavy low-tech, but has its advantages. Regen braking is super sweet especially when heavy, so is fwd in snow oddly enough. Also dead nuts reliable, it just needs new bearings every once in a while since winter riding through salt water is pretty unkind to those. I've upgraded to what I hope is quality axle seals so maybe that's in the past, we'll see.

Do you need to replace any spoke?

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

stephenthinkpad posted:

Do you need to replace any spoke?
Never. I ordered custom length 3.2 mm (IIRC) stainless spokes from AliExpress when I built the first motor wheel many years ago and they've been great. After the front end was crushed by the BMW i replaced rim and motor (and fork) on the driver's dime but the spokes were all good so they got re-laced in the new wheel. Or I guess laced is a dumb word when they're all radial like that but there's no room for any crossing over. Rims both front and rear are the beefiest looking BMX ones I could find with 36 holes.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

That's right the new cargo box is asymmetrical IDGAF you're not my dad!
The starboard side has no steering linkage so there's potential for a few more inches of leg room, might as well use it. The top edge will be trimmed at a pleasing forward rake so I hope it will look slightly less stupid when that's done. Then a bit more carpentry for the lock box/passenger seat that houses electrical gubbins and the onboard tools. I'll probably make it bigger than last time because lockable storage is nice.

The rest is more fiberglass work. I'm very much a noob at this, yesterday I mixed epoxy with colloidal silica to make a thick adhesive to glue the panels together and it worked just like it should according to the youtubes I've watched so that's something at least. The end goal is to seal the wood inside reinforced plastic completely making rot a non-issue. All holes will be drilled out oversize, filled with epoxy/chopped glass and then drilled out again and so on. Added strenght from the fiberglass is a bonus of course.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Commute number 250 today. Uneventful, though I got passed on the uphill this morning by two different ebikes.

MacPac
Jun 2, 2006

Grimey Drawer

after endless dark days with rain and ice i got a somewhat sunny day to take a picture of my winter beater
Rust everywhere, a front derailleur that need a love tap from my heel to shift down and a jury rigged front rack with bungee-straps. I love it :mrgw:

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Question about preventing rust. I have ridden my bike a few times in pouring rain. I can see some rust on the chain and the cassette. What is the simplest lube to apply? I just want minimal effort I need to do every x months.

Is this good?
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08FMRQY5P?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
chain maintenance is like religion - lots of argument, lots of feelings. Everyone has opinions based on anecdotes and nobody has any comparable data. I get the impression that in reality any regimen is a tradeoff between a bunch of pros and cons. What lubes will work well will differ lots on what road conditions are like. Some high effort methods will make your drivetrain last longer, others are lower effort but you need to replace chain/cassette more often.
Since you're running a derailleur you can't get away with quite the low effort chain abusive practices that you can with a single speed/geared hub though - there's a minimum amount of chain maintenance that needs to be observed for the shifting to work right.

Personally I'm in salt hell right now. Brine does bad bad things to my chain and washes lube away like I'm riding though degreaser. I hose off the bike every evening and apply sticky motorcycle chain lube in the morning when the bike has dried from a huge, cheap spray can with a convenient straw. While it sucks that's just what commuting is like for me right now if I want smooth shifting and no rust and it's the lowest effort method I've come up with thus far for the derailleur bike.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
For my commuter I first wiggle the chain a bunch to break the rusted links free then slop on whatever I have on hand. In the spring I throw it and the cheap af cassette out. I commute with an 8 speed bike that takes a chain and cassette I can replace for under 40 bucks so I can treat it like poo poo and not care.

MacPac, for your stuck FD hose it down with triflow and work the pivots back and forth. Then get in the habit of parking with it in the small ring. Every once in a while I think my FD has finally died but that always revives it

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

stephenthinkpad posted:

Question about preventing rust. I have ridden my bike a few times in pouring rain. I can see some rust on the chain and the cassette. What is the simplest lube to apply? I just want minimal effort I need to do every x months.

I wouldn't be worried about rust on moving components as long as you keep riding the bike and do normal lubing. If there's a lot of rust on a chain that you're about to park for say, a week, you might want to wipe the chain off with a rag, taking as much rust as you can, and then lube it up before storing the bike.

This winter, I am trying out Salt Gone as both a post-salty-ride spray and a regular preventative spray.

It's got chemicals that bind to Na and Cl ions already dissolved in water sitting on your vehicle. In theory, if you spray the right amount and get perfect mixing, all the free ions get chelated and no longer accelerate metals oxidizing. A lot of people say it's effective for marine applications, so I believe it works to some degree.

There's a bunch of competing products without a lot of careful analysis. Someone in one of those boat forums linked this:
https://www.dot.state.oh.us/Divisions/Planning/SPR/Research/Training/Documents/2014_Presentations/134718SaltNeutResultsPres.pdf

e: one person posted this pic of them at the car wash:
https://twstatic.net/attachments/img_0151-jpg.3732788/
left is just the water sprayer; right is with Salt Gone at the prescribed concentration (which ODOT says is lower than ideal just for a lower advertised cost).
It makes me hopeful just spraying it on (and not wiping or doing more cleaning work) will be effective to some degree.

kimbo305 fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Jan 25, 2023

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Invalido posted:

Personally I'm in salt hell right now. Brine does bad bad things to my chain and washes lube away like I'm riding though degreaser. I hose off the bike every evening and apply sticky motorcycle chain lube in the morning when the bike has dried from a huge, cheap spray can with a convenient straw. While it sucks that's just what commuting is like for me right now if I want smooth shifting and no rust and it's the lowest effort method I've come up with thus far for the derailleur bike.
I don't understand how your chain isn't rusted to poo poo if you hose it off then let it sit for the night.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

evil_bunnY posted:

I don't understand how your chain isn't rusted to poo poo if you hose it off then let it sit for the night.

There's a bit of cosmetic rust in spots where water drops hang around but not too bad. I'm just too lazy to do chain maintenance in the evenening. I could get the compressor out to the shed and blow dry the chain and then apply I guess but I don't, too much effort. Lube sprayed onto a wet chain seems to stick worse and then I risk it getting squeaky before I get home from work if it's wet. I really dislike a squeaky chain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

I definitely have days where I just can't be bothered, and then the squeaky chain the next day reminds me why I take the 5 minutes after getting home to dry/clean/lube the dang thing.