Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Nyaa posted:

I hope Floo get a hit after this.

It already did via losing its crutch statue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
The only way to hit Floo would be to hit an actual floo card, i dont think its neccesary but theyd prob hit the cards that let you normal summon on opponents turn if they felt it neccesary

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Bo1 for ranked was a mistake

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Floo doesn't need a(nother) hit in the first place. Without statue it's literally just empen/raiza/apex and if your deck can't play through empen and 1 disruption more often than not, it sucks.

Syenite fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Dec 22, 2022

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Syenite posted:

Floo doesn't need a(nother) hit in the first place. Without statue it's literally just empen/raiza/apex and if your deck can't play through empen and 1 disruption more often than not, it sucks.

But its 4 of the top 10!!! This is the end of the world and actually we need to bad all of them now

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Bo1 for ranked was a mistake

I can only imagine the backlash from the mobile player base if ranked was Bo3.

VICTORY
*Opponent's phone melted/battery drained*

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
While that is true, on the other hand I can feel my soul literally wilting based on the idea I would need to play against some of the decks dedicated solely to stall/annoy the opponent into quitting multiple times for every win.

Iserlohn
Nov 3, 2011

Watch out!

Here comes the third tactic.
Lipstick Apathy
I kind of like Floo where it is right now.

Besides Stormwinds, the Prosperity hit actually matters. Prosperity at 1 hurts consistency, but it also encourages using Extrav. Extrav conflicts with Shifter and you will inevitably have dead cards in hand. It's the argument for why the ratios in the top Floo lists are so questionable. And I think that's actually really interesting that you have to consider the value of making sure your floodgate is alive as often as possible versus running the risk of drawing into dead cards. It's a real trade-off that you won't see in actual floodgate decks.

Banning Dreaming Town kills the deck. I don't really agree with any ban that makes an entire deck useless, and while the Raiza loop is devastating it's just not amongst the most toxic cards this format.

Floo is the only deck I've played with 7 pots and 9 searchers and it can still brick. It's incredibly fragile; most Floo hands cannot play through 2 handtraps (even 1 is really good on Eglen). If you run S/T removal, you can bait the Town and then just deal with 1 negate in Apex Avian. It's incredibly vulnerable to Floodgates. If you're losing to Floo a lot, change up. Play Droll or some removal. I played 3 Lightning Storm, HFD and Dark Simorgh in Floo because I do not want to lose to floodgates.

And I hope MD never moves away from Bo1. I'd really rather not play against some of these Runnick decks more than once (or at all!).

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

TaurusOxford posted:

I can only imagine the backlash from the mobile player base if ranked was Bo3.

VICTORY
*Opponent's phone melted/battery drained*

I've had so many matches where the opponent basically roped every turn because their lovely phone connection so yeah thai would still only be a benefit

Also bo3 means you'll see floodgates decks less because people can just sideboard into more removal/stun disruption game 2 an 3. Which means you're just going to see the Stun decks less often because they're win rate goes down because they just lose whole matches. Even Before tear floo Was one deck in a top 16 here or there because you just lose to cards people run in their side decks anyway because they're just generally good.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Dec 22, 2022

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Does Diamond get better match end rewards than lower ranks? Asking because I just had a win in D4 where I got 50 gems, which I’m not sure I’ve ever seen before.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Regalingualius posted:

Does Diamond get better match end rewards than lower ranks? Asking because I just had a win in D4 where I got 50 gems, which I’m not sure I’ve ever seen before.

Nothing to do with tiers AFAIK. I've seen 50 gem rewards in silver/gold tiers. There's a 100 gem per day cap on duel rewards anyway, with a soft cap at 80 I believe.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Yeah I think Floo is fine. The endboard of Empen + Dreaming Town gy effect + Raiza or Apex is only OK, the strength of the deck lies in its basically infinite ability to recur its cards.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
So Floo is Sky Strikers, just with Stormwinds instead of Mystic Mine? A pretty solid control deck that got tons of hate for having a painful grind game and access to an incredibly unfair one-sided floodgate?

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
Based on the results of the top 10 and the top 100, Konami might implement more parts of OCG banlist: Grass to 2, Map to 1, Branded Fusion to 1 or 2, etc. Nonetheless, Konami has the analytics; I would hope they know what to hit or buff.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Tbh id like green to just get banned bc its not like it adds anything to any format other then...more cards to craft...oh no it will never go away

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

girl dick energy posted:

So Floo is Sky Strikers, just with Stormwinds instead of Mystic Mine? A pretty solid control deck that got tons of hate for having a painful grind game and access to an incredibly unfair one-sided floodgate?

It's Sky Strikers with better recursion but worse control.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
Please don't hit grass again, 60 card zombie decks are too much fun. Heh, grass goes brrrrrrr.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Saw something on Reddit about how they're going to be reprinting 5 or 6 of the earliest US sets early next year as an anniversary thing, could be fun acquiring a bunch of early cards, not sure if there's a retro format for that specific period like there are for slightly later ones like GOAT though

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer
The big picks from those packs are all banned fwiw, really broken spells. Unless they're thinking of putting some old staples to 1, but no one wants delinquent duo or forceful sentry back.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Charles Bukowski posted:

The big picks from those packs are all banned fwiw, really broken spells. Unless they're thinking of putting some old staples to 1, but no one wants delinquent duo or forceful sentry back.

Well yeah for regular play, but I could see this resulting in Time Wizard formats besides GOAT or Edison seeing more play due to increased availability of the cards in question, though considering there's a five pack gap between the first four packs being reprinted for this(Legend of Blue Eyes White Dragon, Metal Raiders, Spell Ruler, and Pharaoh's Servant) and the fifth(Invasion of Chaos) for some weird reason(when it would have made more sense for the fifth pack for this release to be Labyrinth of Nightmare), I imagine the format that would be settled on would be either the December 2002 List(the first list to have cards from Pharaoh's Servant to be included) or either the April 2003 or May 2003 lists(but disallowing any cards from LoN) and ignoring Invasion of Chaos entirely

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
If i wanted to play old formats id boot up Eternal Duelist Soul again

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Empen is mystic mine if mystic mine was a vastly weaker floodgate on a vastly more vulnerable card in a deck that has to play an entire archetype to support it.

Flair posted:

Nonetheless, Konami has the analytics; I would hope they know what to hit or buff.

When halq was legal, Konami decided the actual problem card was [every good tuner] and the only reason halq got eventually hit was because splight was good and new and they don't hit good and new archetypes.

Konami does not know what to hit or buff (lol "gossip shadow is the problem card")

Syenite fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Dec 23, 2022

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

Oh no, they know exactly what to hit, that's why the banlist is carefully constructed in such a way that the real problem decks are never meaningfully hit. Like you said, they won't hit stuff that's making them money cuz otherwise they don't make money from it anymore.

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Post custom cards :justpost:

quote:

Stardust Spark / Counter Trap
If your opponent activates a monster effect, or Summons a monster: Discard 1 card; Negate the Summon or activation, and if you do, destroy it, then, immediately after this effect resolves, you can Synchro Summon by banishing monsters you control, or that are in your hand or the GYs as material. You can banish this card from your GY; immediately after this effect resolves, Synchro Summon "Stardust Dragon" by banishing monsters from the GYs as material. If you Synchro Summon by an effect of this card, you can treat 1 Non-Tuner monster as a Tuner instead.

quote:

Herald of the Unchained Soul
Level 8 DARK Fiend / Effect
0 ATK / 0 DEF
You can Special Summon this card (from your Deck) while you are searching your Deck, by destroying 2 cards in your hand and/or field. If an "Unchained" card was sent to the GY in order to Summon this card: You can target 1 card on the field; It cannot be activated, also negate its effects. If this card on the field is destroyed, or an "Unchained" card you control is destroyed while this card is in the GY: You can shuffle 2 cards from your GY into your Deck, including this card, then Reveal the top card of your Deck; Set it directly to your field. You can only Special Summon "Herald of the Unchained Soul" once per turn, and you can only use each of its effects once per turn.

Syenite fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Dec 23, 2022

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
Here is the current archetype breakdown of the known decklists that made it to top 100 in Stage 2:

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I'm starting to play again after a couple months of not, focusing on making a Runick deck but with hope that I can turn it into a weird dumb cross that gives people enough novelty value that they don't hate the process.

I'm thinking Runick Exodia Control, using some of that weird Exodia support nobody ever uses.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

If you want dumb runik control, Runik Fabled Unicore Turbo is very very funny IMO.

Iserlohn
Nov 3, 2011

Watch out!

Lipstick Apathy
Ah, Starry Knight is a very frustrating deck to build. Even morseo because this gimmicky build with Z-Arc doesn't exactly work how I want it to.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Flair posted:

Here is the current archetype breakdown of the known decklists that made it to top 100 in Stage 2:

More decklists have become known:

Source: https://roadoftheking.com/master-duel-duelist-cup-2022-december/

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

I’m just curious, since they come in the same pack: do Runick and Labrynth just not mix very well, aside from the obvious problem with them both running a field spell that’s majorly important to their game plan?

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer
https://discord.gg/cfJVQ5eZ

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

They probably mix about as well as Aliens and Graydles.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
From what I can tell the main thing stopping Runick Labrynth from being an interesting combo deck is that they just don't really have any synergy. They don't really get in the way of each other beyond both wanting the backrow, but they also don't really help each other with their gameplans. You'd probably be better off either making pure Labrynth or pure Runick, because they don't really help each other enough to be worth splitting your odds of drawing one, and stand pretty well on their own.

I haven't actually been able to play either of them yet, though, so I'm mostly spitballing from what I've seen.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Yeah, I’m still a ways away from having anything even remotely resembling a Runick deck despite splurging all of my gems on their packs. And that’s without getting into the floodgates…

Just wondering: if they limit/semi-limit something, do you get full points refunded for every copy over the legal amount?

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

The packs are often more thematically linked than mechanically effective when combined.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Lord_Magmar posted:

The packs are often more thematically linked than mechanically effective when combined.

For secret packs, at least. In terms of the limited-time packs like the Runick/Labrynth one it's usually just that they released near each other in real life. With Labrynth and Runick they came out in the exact same set, Tactical Masters.

The Tactical Masters archetypes actually do have a commonality, but it's more abstractly thematic; all three archetypes that originated there are based on different video games. Vaylantz is an SRPG like Fire Emblem, Runick is a first-person western RPG (most strongly pulling from Skyrim), and Labrynth is apparently a very specific reference to Tecmo's Deception series.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I've been getting some practice in with Fluffals today and man, when that deck bricks, it BRICKS. Not got much gas going first, either.

Any tips for consistency, maybe some other link monsters that might help? Here's what I have rn:

code:

3x Fluffal Dog
1x Fluffal Owl
2x Fluffal Bear
2x Fluffal Wings
3x Fluffal Penguin
1x Fluffal Dolphin
1x Fluffal Sheep
1x Fluffal Cat
1x Fluffal Octo
1x Edge Imp Sabres
2x Edge Imp Chain
3x Edge Imp Scythe
1x Edge Imp Cotton Eater
3x Maxx "C"
3x Ash Blossom & Joyous Spring
3x Toy Vendor
2x Polymerization
3x Frightfur Patchwork
1x Frightfur Fusion
1x Frightfur Repair
2x Foolish Burial Goods

1x Frightfur Sheep
2x Frightfur Wolf
2x Frightfur Tiger
2x Frightfur Sabre-Tooth
2x Frightfur Kraken
2x Frightfur Cruel Whale
1x Dangerous Frightfur Nightmary
1x Bahamut Shark
1x Toadally Awesome
1x Cross-Sheep

Octo is a bit of an experiment that hasn't exactly worked well, but hasn't totally failed either, unlike the Edge Imp Saw I ran for exactly one solo game. It would probably be my first cut. I never use the Frightfur Sheep for anything other than Whaling into the grave to enable Repair's first effect, it's mostly leftover from when I was using Instant Fusion. Nightmary is literally never my first choice to summon, but my thinking is it might possibly be useful as a wall going first.

Dabir fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Dec 27, 2022

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Eldlich can be useful to splash in, it synergizes well with Toy Vendor and can be a decent beat stick. Honestly lack of consistency is an issue I've never really solved either.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Floos have remained largely untouched, and semi-limiting Pot of Duality is probably more for Runick rather than Floos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iserlohn
Nov 3, 2011

Watch out!

Lipstick Apathy
Every Floo list is on Duality, so it hurts a few decks. Card of Demise to 2 is a slap on the wrist for Runick, but I admit it is a really fun card in Dinomorphia.