Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

My Lovely Horse posted:

I wish Subnautica had a way to manage inventory that wasn't "place each individual bit of resource by hand into a container you also placed by hand".

As soon as you have a base you should have a menu that tells you stuff like "Titanium 43, Silver 11, Total Storage 56/75" and a station where you transfer items from inventory to storage. Storage should still be a physical room that you have to build in a place, but the game should handle what goes on in there.

A lot of games do this where they bog you down with busy work that may be realistic or immersion building but in practical terms isn't all that fun to do in a video game. RDR and BotW come to mind. I know some people enjoy that poo poo but, personally, I play video games to do poo poo that I can't actually do in real life - like slay dragons, dunk a basketball, quarterback a football team or skateboard through and airport. I can do poo poo like grind beans, brew coffee, prepare and cook food or groom my pets any time I want to and it's not all that exciting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

It sucks there because I loving know they're there but I can't lock on to them because the camera sucks and have to do some convoluted bullshit to hit them first without getting in their wild swinging and/or marth grabs.

I just use a big sword and swing around the corner.

U.T. Raptor posted:

Oh, hey there, every level in Nioh 2.

Stages in Nioh 2 are so loving long, too.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

BiggerBoat posted:

A lot of games do this where they bog you down with busy work that may be realistic or immersion building but in practical terms isn't all that fun to do in a video game. RDR and BotW come to mind. I know some people enjoy that poo poo but, personally, I play video games to do poo poo that I can't actually do in real life - like slay dragons, dunk a basketball, quarterback a football team or skateboard through and airport. I can do poo poo like grind beans, brew coffee, prepare and cook food or groom my pets any time I want to and it's not all that exciting.
Hold on...
Is there no super grognardy coffee shop/barista simulation game yet...?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Was playing Biomutant after it got added to PS Plus and the game makes a weird decision that really make you feel disconnected from the game. It uses a narrator for almost all of the dialogue where instead of putting up subtitles when a character speaks they just say gibberish and when they're done the narrator summarizes.

Also the game has a karma system with light and dark choices with it trying to act like light doesn't mean good and dark evil. Except light choices are all helping people and dark choices are all slaughter the weak.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

muscles like this! posted:

Was playing Biomutant after it got added to PS Plus and the game makes a weird decision that really make you feel disconnected from the game. It uses a narrator for almost all of the dialogue where instead of putting up subtitles when a character speaks they just say gibberish and when they're done the narrator summarizes.

Also the game has a karma system with light and dark choices with it trying to act like light doesn't mean good and dark evil. Except light choices are all helping people and dark choices are all slaughter the weak.

Yeah I didn't realize how much that narrator choice would.mske me absolutely check out from the story and world as a whole, but boy does it ever. I did not give a poo poo about anything that was happening, about the characters backstory, about saving people, or anything.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!

Croccers posted:

Hold on...

If it does get made it should be called something like Underground.

The_Fuzzinator
Oct 9, 2007

I know now why you Cuddle. But it's something I can never do.

moosecow333 posted:

If it does get made it should be called something like Underground.

set it in the Underdark realm of the D&D universe.

Robert J. Omb
Dec 1, 2005
The 'J' stands for 'AAARRGH!'
Just started Lego Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga. It may be because I’m not that far in but the characters control a little… clunkily?

It feels like they move a too slowly (the first upgrade I chose was for faster sprint but that doesn’t deal with the base issue); the combat feels less fluid than earlier games; jumping feels slower…

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

Croccers posted:

Hold on...

You should control it entirely through a microphone, where you make coffee by screaming at the barista how to properly make your loving coffee. And to make it realistic, the microphone is useless 85% of the time because of the steamer and other machines making tons of noise. And you should have to shout slurs or misogynist comments to keep your meter up.

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!
Sounds like a survival horror game. I'm for it.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Playing the second Voice of Cards game and, for a game all about cards and such, the card-game-within-the-game, some tavern card game about drawing cards and making sets, sure sucks poo poo. Might as well roll a die at the beginning of it to see who wins, for all the skill it entails. Would save a lot of time.

Edit: oh boy, watching my turn get skipped twice while opponents ring up dozens of points then getting to me, drawing some cards, and being told that I can make a valid set and that's the end of my turn, thrilling stuff, so glad they brought this over from the first game.

Morpheus has a new favorite as of 23:45 on Dec 22, 2022

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

It's low hanging fruit because Ubisoft, but nearly ever single thing in Immortals Fenyx Rising goes on too long. Each dungeon could be cut in half or more and nothing would be lost.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I think most the dungeons are pretty snappy except for the main boss for each area. Those missions do go on forever.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

kazil posted:

It's low hanging fruit because Ubisoft, but nearly ever single thing in Immortals Fenyx Rising goes on too long. Each dungeon could be cut in half or more and nothing would be lost.

The dungeons I totally agree with, but the overworld puzzles play like they made the puzzles first then the capabilities of the power ups second, letting you just absolutely break some of the puzzles over your knee with no repercussion and letting you feel clever for doing so.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I just realized, when Adam Jensen in Deus Ex used the pheromone augment to influence people in conversations, was he farting at the time?

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
humans dont have pheromone glands in their farts
he was just turning up the armpit sweat dial to 11

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

humans dont have pheromone glands in their farts

With augs your dreams are possible.

Spek
Jun 15, 2012

Bagel!
Tried starting the Outer Wilds last night and drat does it hit hard with motion sickness.

There's only a handful games I've ever played that gave me motion sickness and I wish I could figure out what the commonality between them is. Turok for the N64, Half Life & Half Life 2, Left 4 Dead 2, Fable 3, and now Outer Wilds.

How something like the Portal games don't give me any problems with all their bizarre movement but I cant walk through an apartment building in Half Life 2 without wanting to die despite them being on the same engine is so bizarre.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Usually it's down to the FoV, but it'd be weird if Valve's games were defaulting to different ones, HL1 aside.

L4D2 does have the thing where it feels like the characters hold their guns up to their necks for some reason.

I've only played Turok via the PC port, and not for long because goddamn does it seem like that game is tailor made to induce motion sickness.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Morpheus posted:

The dungeons I totally agree with, but the overworld puzzles play like they made the puzzles first then the capabilities of the power ups second, letting you just absolutely break some of the puzzles over your knee with no repercussion and letting you feel clever for doing so.

I mean I've heard it called Breath of the Wild: Ubisoft Edition and that's just what BotW does

"Here's your entire toolkit in the first 30 minutes go ham" and you can just not do some puzzles with clever use of them. Only when BotW did it people praised it

Edit: I just reread that and I don't think you were complaining about that at all and I just can't read

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Len posted:

I mean I've heard it called Breath of the Wild: Ubisoft Edition and that's just what BotW does

"Here's your entire toolkit in the first 30 minutes go ham" and you can just not do some puzzles with clever use of them. Only when BotW did it people praised it

Edit: I just reread that and I don't think you were complaining about that at all and I just can't read

Fenyx Rising is like a 50/50 mix of BotW and AC: Odyssey.

A lot of the overworld puzzles are stuff like "put weight on pad to open door" type ones, and there's upgrades to abilities that do stuff like "summon weight out of thin air" or "allow you to carry heavy blocks you can normally only push." These break some of the puzzles because you just skip hunting for blocks or figuring out how to traverse them to where they need to go. Overall, I like the open world puzzles. Mostly short.

The dungeons are just terrible. I feel like they all take a gimmicky concept, like one is a pinball machine, and just run them into the ground.

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

I think most the dungeons are pretty snappy except for the main boss for each area. Those missions do go on forever.

I wrote this post after doing one of the boss dungeons lol

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Well then it definitely curbs from BotW because the divine beasts are just terrible

And since they're set-up to be done in any order the dialogue is always the same and the champions explain the same concepts over and over again

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

Spek posted:

Tried starting the Outer Wilds last night and drat does it hit hard with motion sickness.

There's only a handful games I've ever played that gave me motion sickness and I wish I could figure out what the commonality between them is. Turok for the N64, Half Life & Half Life 2, Left 4 Dead 2, Fable 3, and now Outer Wilds.

How something like the Portal games don't give me any problems with all their bizarre movement but I cant walk through an apartment building in Half Life 2 without wanting to die despite them being on the same engine is so bizarre.

For me this is the Spyro remake for PC. My brain can handle some truly nauseating VR games but Spyro is what makes me want to hurl. I've never been able to figure out why. My sympathies!

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

kazil posted:

Never played it because it wanted me to make an ubisoft account. Bought the Diablo collection on switch and I need a battlenet account to play 2. Stop asking me to make another account games.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

John Murdoch posted:

I've only played Turok via the PC port, and not for long because goddamn does it seem like that game is tailor made to induce motion sickness.

So it wasn't just me. I think it had something to do with how the level calculates what used to be hid by the fog. The Turok 2 port was much , much better.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Turok got me as well trying to play the Xbox ports. Way too much swaying

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Len posted:

Well then it definitely curbs from BotW because the divine beasts are just terrible

And since they're set-up to be done in any order the dialogue is always the same and the champions explain the same concepts over and over again

Which is dumb because they could have recorded extra dialogue easily

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Tunicate posted:

Which is dumb because they could have recorded extra dialogue easily

From the stories I've read Nintendo basically spent the barest of minimums and an extra 12 lines per VA was probably just Too Much

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Which is even more stupid because it's a Zelda game, just don't bother with VA at all then. Adding a couple extra lines of text has to be less work than even the single lines with voice work

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Thus proving my assertion at the time that voice acting was a poor choice for a Zelda game :smugdog:

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

listen

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Your Gay Uncle posted:

So it wasn't just me. I think it had something to do with how the level calculates what used to be hid by the fog. The Turok 2 port was much , much better.

Could be that as well but I especially remember the aggressive view tilting when you strafed, the gun bobbing, and of course the nightmare that is climbing ladders. :barf:

I really want to know why so many random games insisted on the view tilting poo poo in particular because it makes no sense.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Harvestella:

You sell items in typical harvest moon fashion by throwing them in a shipment box which earns you money in between days, but for some reason you can't see how much money anything sells for except specifically when when the shipment happens, after the items are lost and even if you've sold those items before. I've literally been noting the sell prices down in a txt file because it's frequently something I want to see but the game is weirdly coy about letting you see the number when you're making decisions (high-value versions of crops, processed versions of them like juice and jams, and so on all sell for different amounts but there's also reason to hang onto them for cooking and such)

There are a bunch of different decorative fences you can put on your farm. For some reason these take up actual usable farmland spaces, which are pretty limited and kind of your main speed limit on how fast you can make money and progress, so it's a bad idea to make your farm look nice.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

Harvestella:

You sell items in typical harvest moon fashion by throwing them in a shipment box which earns you money in between days, but for some reason you can't see how much money anything sells for except specifically when when the shipment happens, after the items are lost and even if you've sold those items before. I've literally been noting the sell prices down in a txt file because it's frequently something I want to see but the game is weirdly coy about letting you see the number when you're making decisions (high-value versions of crops, processed versions of them like juice and jams, and so on all sell for different amounts but there's also reason to hang onto them for cooking and such)

There are a bunch of different decorative fences you can put on your farm. For some reason these take up actual usable farmland spaces, which are pretty limited and kind of your main speed limit on how fast you can make money and progress, so it's a bad idea to make your farm look nice.

I dislike the makers for the same reason; using up perfectly good farmland.

I dunno why these games got away from "You have a shed with 1 of each maker. You can upgrade those makers to make more things per day." and ran headfirst into "Cover your farm with ALL the makers!"

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I can sort of see a case to be made that a whole row of machines pumping out goods is more visually impressive and/or satisfying, plus easier to visualize your throughput. Or that needing to optimize your use of space between differing sets adds to the gameplay.

But I've always kinda hated it wherever it's cropped up, crafting games big and small, hell arguably a lot of RTSes too.

I think it looks ugly and my first instinct is never to build an 3x10 grid of furnaces to speed things up. Not to mention the headache of needing to individually address every single one.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

My Lovely Horse posted:

I wish Subnautica had a way to manage inventory that wasn't "place each individual bit of resource by hand into a container you also placed by hand".

As soon as you have a base you should have a menu that tells you stuff like "Titanium 43, Silver 11, Total Storage 56/75" and a station where you transfer items from inventory to storage. Storage should still be a physical room that you have to build in a place, but the game should handle what goes on in there.
I like having different storage per base, and I like having my "weird stuff" locker and my "gold" locker etc. What I want is all of that + a giant infinite storage container that takes up a whole room or something for the overflow or for the times when I'm all "gently caress it I just want to dump my load and head back out I can deal with it later", so if I want some silver I know it's either in my designated silver locker or in the pile o' misc crap.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Turok runs like he's on loving roller blades, why in the WORLD does he sprint with his head tilted like that

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Riatsala posted:

For me this is the Spyro remake for PC. My brain can handle some truly nauseating VR games but Spyro is what makes me want to hurl. I've never been able to figure out why. My sympathies!

The motion blur and the way the camera sticks HARD to Spyro's back did this to me. A lot of the time when you turn the dude, the camera shifts a full 90 degrees in that direction with really heavy blur.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
One of my partner and I's biggest disagreements is over head-bob in first person games: he CAN'T STAND it, whereas I weirdly leave it on for some reason. No idea why! :ohdear: I think it's tricked me into feeling more immersive?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

John Murdoch posted:

I can sort of see a case to be made that a whole row of machines pumping out goods is more visually impressive and/or satisfying, plus easier to visualize your throughput. Or that needing to optimize your use of space between differing sets adds to the gameplay.

But I've always kinda hated it wherever it's cropped up, crafting games big and small, hell arguably a lot of RTSes too.

I think it looks ugly and my first instinct is never to build an 3x10 grid of furnaces to speed things up. Not to mention the headache of needing to individually address every single one.

Yeah, especially if it's a game where the central conceit is that you're restoring an old farm and just living a simple life with your turnips and cows.
If that's the aesthetic of the game, then your yard should not be forced to look like the Industrial Revolution threw up on it.

If it were some Civilization/Sim building game where you started off as a caveman and worked your way up to a future society, I could kind of get it then.