Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Azubah posted:

Does Black Cat still have bad luck powers?

Yes, although I think they come from cybernetics now. They even mess up magic cast at her a bit, which is a neat touch of Vulpes.'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Did anybody here ever read Supreme Power from the 2000s? As far as I can recall, this and some Civil War issues were the first comics I ever read. It probably contributed significantly to my taste in comics. I like stories about the ethics of superheroes.

Also I'm pretty sure it was written by the Babylon 5 guy (never seen it, heard it's great) but for some reason on Marvel.com it says they were written by Stan Lee.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

I'm catching up on the AXE event on unlimited and it's weirdly a pretty good Christmas story - a being of limitless power resides at the North Pole and in the space of 24 hours decides whether everyone on the planet is worthy or not

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

NikkolasKing posted:

Did anybody here ever read Supreme Power from the 2000s? As far as I can recall, this and some Civil War issues were the first comics I ever read. It probably contributed significantly to my taste in comics. I like stories about the ethics of superheroes.

Also I'm pretty sure it was written by the Babylon 5 guy (never seen it, heard it's great) but for some reason on Marvel.com it says they were written by Stan Lee.

Pretty sure Squadron Supreme (née Sinister) is a Roy Thomas/Sal Buscema creation. Straczynski just wrote the reboot.

His bibliography is pretty hit or miss, but if you like Supreme Power, you might dig Rising Stars. The compendium is fairly inexpensive.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

Party Boat posted:

I'm catching up on the AXE event on unlimited and it's weirdly a pretty good Christmas story - a being of limitless power resides at the North Pole and in the space of 24 hours decides whether everyone on the planet is worthy or not

AXE/Judgment Day/Whatever we're calling it is not a bad story by any means. The worst I could say is that it's just another Gillen story - it's extremely wordy and doesn't stick the landing. It's a fun concept for a story for a good half of the run.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Yeah there's lots of good character moments in it - I really liked Doom and Daredevil being judged - but while I'm only halfway through I'm not sure how well it hangs together as a complete story. Event storylines are always that way to some degree though.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Party Boat posted:

Just make sure you read the X-Men: Red and Immortal X-Men tie ins. Death to the Mutants and the Starfox one shot are worth looking at if you’re digging the event and want more content.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Yeah I'm all in on X Men and what I've read so far of Red / Immortal has gotten me excited about the series again the same way the start of the Krakoa arc did

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

X-Force is pretty good, and I think the direction they have taken Beast is pretty interesting. There, I said it.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

NikkolasKing posted:

Rising Stars was by the Babylon 5 guy. It's non-Marvel, about what happens when there's suddenly like 100 folks with super powers on Earth. I thought it aimed high but fell really short, I didn't like it.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
axe was pretty weak because the judgment stuff was the most interesting part and it ended up not mattering at all.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Lord_Hambrose posted:

X-Force is pretty good, and I think the direction they have taken Beast is pretty interesting. There, I said it.

Beast as director of the CIA is a great take on the character, agreed

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Party Boat posted:

Beast as director of the CIA is a great take on the character, agreed

So instead of just being generally annoying and making things worse now he's just flat out a villain?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Gripweed posted:

So instead of just being generally annoying and making things worse now he's just flat out a villain?

In the words of Mr. Sinister to Dark Beast's head in a jar "You're not even the darkest Beast anymore."

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Lord_Hambrose posted:

I wouldn't say I'm enjoying it, but I don't hate it to the degree everyone else seems to be.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

I posted this in the x-men thread because i thought it was where lord hambrose posted his x-force take

Alaois posted:

Maybe its changed somewhat since i fell off but my biggest issue with percy's x-force is that it felt like he had A Story to tell with Domino, which he did at the start of the run and since then she's been firmly relegated to being a supporting character in a book she's supposed to be one of the stars of

srypher
Jun 3, 2011

Really?
Story seems to be heading in a direction where Beast will be getting his comeuppance soon, but it also has felt like a bit of a stretch that he’s gotten away with so much already.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

srypher posted:

Story seems to be heading in a direction where Beast will be getting his comeuppance soon, but it also has felt like a bit of a stretch that he’s gotten away with so much already.

i thought the story was heading in a direction where Beast will be getting his comeuppance soon a year and a half ago

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
Hickman may have planned his comeuppance as part of Krakoa Phase 2 and it could have gotten delayed when Marvel let creators mess around with the current status quo

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Beast didn't seem to factor into anything Hickman was writing.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

srypher posted:

The story is also about Sage hitting her own rock bottom, but building herself back up from it. That's been playing out in the background of the issues since the start with her drinking intensifying and came to a head the other issue where Domino died because Sage was passed out on monitor duty.

srypher
Jun 3, 2011

Really?

Soonmot posted:

The story is also about Sage hitting her own rock bottom, but building herself back up from it. That's been playing out in the background of the issues since the start with her drinking intensifying and came to a head the other issue where Domino died because Sage was passed out on monitor duty.

Yeah I’ve actually really enjoyed what they’ve done with Sage’s story these last couple issues. I guess I just mean things seem pretty untenable with Beast having a outer space black ops station where he tests biological and chemical weapons, and also (seemingly w/ Hope’s knowledge and cooperation??) lobotomized Wolvie because he got fed up with Beast’s necessary evil bullshit. My assumption is Percy’s overall story with X-Force and Wolverine is going to climax with Beast getting what he deserves.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

srypher posted:

Yeah I’ve actually really enjoyed what they’ve done with Sage’s story these last couple issues. I guess I just mean things seem pretty untenable with Beast having a outer space black ops station where he tests biological and chemical weapons, and also (seemingly w/ Hope’s knowledge and cooperation??) lobotomized Wolvie because he got fed up with Beast’s necessary evil bullshit. My assumption is Percy’s overall story with X-Force and Wolverine is going to climax with Beast getting what he deserves.

At this point they could put Beast in the hole and put sabertooth in charge of x-force and their would be less war crimes

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Codependent Poster posted:

Beast didn't seem to factor into anything Hickman was writing.

And this is why I enjoy Hickman so much.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

bobkatt013 posted:

At this point they could put Beast in the hole and put sabertooth in charge of x-force and their would be less war crimes

sure gently caress it bring back greg pak and fred van lente and get Weapon X-Force back off the ground

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

It seems weird to have alcoholism and untreated PTSD in Krakoa?

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Synthbuttrange posted:

It seems weird to have alcoholism and untreated PTSD in Krakoa?

The same Krakoa that has a designated baby drop-off spot?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

The same one that has a temple in someone's brain zone and you can delete traumatic memories, yea

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Alaois posted:

sure gently caress it bring back greg pak and fred van lente and get Weapon X-Force back off the ground

Man I really need to go back and re-read Rick Remender's X-Force. See if it holds up.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Remember when Beast quite the X-Men because he found out about Scott's first iteration of Uncanny X-Force?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

he was probably really unhappy over how sloppy they were not torturing everyone.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
sage's whole deal is that she is generally very competent, but not when it comes to herself. she has always had a huge collection of unresolved traumas. most of her tenure as claremont's favorite consisted of sage facing increasingly ridiculous problems that stemmed from not dealing with her poo poo.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Alaois posted:

I think I never read that because Greg Land.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Synthbuttrange posted:

The same one that has a temple in someone's brain zone and you can delete traumatic memories, yea

That's actually on Arakko, not Krakoa.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
no that's the other person's brain zone

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Dawgstar posted:

I think I never read that because Greg Land.

Greg Land's art literally only lasts 4 issues before he's replaced by Marc Borstel so its not like you even neec to suffer through it for long

You do need to be aware that there is a Totally Awesome Hulk crossover at the start of it so you need to also find those Hulk books to understand whats happening

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Understanding what you are reading is pretty overrated

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
lol totally forgot about totally awesome hulk.

did Amadeus even show up in immortal

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Alaois posted:

Greg Land's art literally only lasts 4 issues before he's replaced by Marc Borstel so its not like you even neec to suffer through it for long

You do need to be aware that there is a Totally Awesome Hulk crossover at the start of it so you need to also find those Hulk books to understand whats happening

Land's art on that book is also probably the least bad stuff he's ever done, it raises the bar from 'yuck!' all the way to 'painfully mediocre.'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Briefly - he has a chat with Bruce in a diner and I think Namor was also there incognito in case poo poo went down?

Sorry for the Beast derail. I think the reason I liked it is because it reminds me of the old maxim about how UK home secretaries invariably become surveillance state authoritarians - they see all the potential catastrophes. Of course we've lately been saving time by only putting psychos into the role in the first place.