Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

gradenko_2000 posted:

wargameds.com is having a holiday sale

Uh oh lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

gradenko_2000 posted:

wargameds.com is having a holiday sale, and so of course I just had to pick up Fulda Gap '85:

warming up with a 10-turn scenario about taking just Fulda on the first day of the war before jumping into the full campaign

Seven Days to the Rhine? let's see if it'll work

please post updates.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

I want that southern storm game on Steam.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
The Getting Started scenario of Fulda 85 was actually pretty easy and uninteresting: the AI just withdraws from Fulda at first contact and you just run over the victory hexes no problem. There's like one unit of a dozen Abrams that took a beating, but sixty T-60s and thirty T-72s cleared them out eventually.

___

The other game I bought at the same time as the sale was Kiev 43, because it's topical

this is the initial set-up of the Bukrin Bridgehead scenario, depicting 30 turns starting in October 12, 1943, of the Soviet attempt to break out of a bridgehead across the Dnepr to the southeast of Kiev

(from Prit Buttar's "Retribution: The Soviet Reconquest of Central Ukraine")

there's also a full campaign map set in November for the full offensive into Kiev, but we'll get into that later.

anyway, it's just one gigantic pile of Soviet units stacked on top of each other, so it's difficult to really convey progress in the fighting, but let's try this gif showing the center of the line, snapping from the beginning of turn 1, to the end of turn 3:

as you can see, we've taken Grigorovka on the Soviet left, and Velikiy Bukrin on the right. The center is still holding strong, but we'll keep pressuring them. With Grigorovka falling, that bridgehead to its southeast is now linked-up with the main body, and we can probably develop that further.

___

The tactics are extremely brutal: take all of your artillery, and blast whatever German hex on the front-line looks weak. Walk right into the minefield, and that's your entire turn. Whatever survives the counter-fire on the German turn gets to assault, and anyone that's Disrupted walks back. Anyone in the rear comes up to replace the Disrupted units. Cycle and repeat.

gradenko_2000 has issued a correction as of 11:16 on Dec 20, 2022

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

Picked up a copy of Undaunted: Stalingrad and gently caress me this box is big :popeye:

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Minenfeld! posted:

I want that southern storm game on Steam.

they gotta gouge old boomers on their website for a few months first

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

HerraS posted:

Picked up a copy of Undaunted: Stalingrad and gently caress me this box is big :popeye:

would love a trip report if u get the opportunity

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

I'll try to get it on the table next week and will definitely report to the thread once I do

the customs guy who called me was like "its a single boardgame and it weights HOW much!?" lmao

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

even in videogames the eastern part of ukraine will try to break away from it

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM

Danann posted:

even in videogames the eastern part of ukraine will try to break away from it

what's the story behind double-serbia?

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Nosfereefer posted:

what's the story behind double-serbia?

Forgot the save the game but either they separated from the ottomans two different times or a revolt ended in white peace between a bigger Serbia that ended in two Serbias.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Digging the communist Perm up there.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

one weird trick to fight off the reactionary counterrevolution in order to secure the existence of the proletarian democratic republic

background: after getting communists into government and persistently gunning for council republic i finally lucked out and got council republic passed.

only problem were these guys trying to threaten violent counterrevolution to restore the presidency:

i promised to hold a debate on this whole thing and then just when it was close i shuttered the whole thing and canceled it and promised a new date for the debate instead

in the meantime the counterrevolutionaries lost momentum, radicalism, and their base of support had been thoroughly undermined by this point:

their movement to restore the presidency shutting down was basically a formality at that point:

so yeah i just strung them along and when they had basically no more support i dropped the matter entirely

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

have they fixed late game slowdown in victoria 3 yet? i know thats a problem with all games like this but it was particularly awful on release and i know they said they were looking into it.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

I think it's related somehow to construction because I know games where I don't have thousands upon thousands of construction go faster while ones that do tick slower.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Bukrin Bridgehead update; from the end of turn 3, to the end of turn 5:

___

on the left, my forces are very sparse, so I am concentrating them on the left-hand [of the left wing] to just specifically aim for taking the objective town of Rzhishchev. As you can see, the Germans are way too concentrated at Shchuchinka.

not much activity on the right, except continuing to consolidate troops around Studenets. I'm just flinging artillery and direct fire on whatever looks weak among those three hexes at the edge of battle and looking for what might break. There might be an opportunity to also take that 50-point objective on the southern edge of the sector, what with the Panzer Grenadier company there isolated, but it's a little too early to tell

in the center, we've taken the village of Velikiy Bukrin, and have advanced around Grigorovka, though the German center [of the center] continues to hold.

we've managed to nearly surround that 50-point objective hex right in the middle, and we should be able to pinch that off, along with the 100-point objective on their flanks.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
How many points do you need for a win?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Orange Devil posted:

How many points do you need for a win?

as of the end of turn 5, I have 473 points, which is a Major Defeat

if I can get 2,000 points, that is a Minor Defeat
if I can get 2,400 points, that is a Minor Victory
if I can get 2,800 points, that is a Major Victory

just counting objective points, getting a Minor Victory would require advancing out of all the trench-lines set-up around the perimeter - getting to Berezovka on the left, getting past Malyi Bukrin in the center, getting past Bobritsa on the right. I don't know how feasible that is.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Danann posted:

so yeah i just strung them along and when they had basically no more support i dropped the matter entirely

and then they say that paradox is bad at modeling real life politics

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Bukrin Bridgehead update; from the end of turn 5, to the end of turn 10:

(turns 8 and 9 were night turns, where not much went on, so it's only really turn 6, turn 7, and turn 10 that were daylight turns where I had relatively full freedom-of-movement)

On the left, we finally took the village of Rzhishchev with a bloody close assault. The next target will be that fortified position at the center of the line, which I should be able to outflank.

On the right, we've taken that objective hex on the south end of the sector, and we've expanded our hold outside of Studenets, and we've taken the village of Buchak on the north side of the sector. The most immediate next objective will be the objective village of Bobritsa, to the southwest, because I know that that's relatively weakly-held, but the rest is up in the air. Advancing directly west is going to run us directly into the main body of the German troops even though that's where the next set of objectives are, and while I could also keep pushing north of Buchak and try to link up with the main bridgehead in the center, you can see that there's an entire other deployment of German troops in that direction.

At the primary crossing, we've managed to take Velikiy Bukrin, take one of the 50-point objectives in the center of the sector, and have whittled down Axis troops aroung Grigorovka. Specifically, we were able to surround about 600-800 infantrymen in two companies just outside of the latter, and I expect their complete liquidation next turn.

That said, we have suffered a few setbacks - those three infantry companies on the far left of the sector were thrown back and are in danger of getting isolated after being exhausted during the assault on Velikiy Bukrin, and similarly we have a number of companies south of Grigorovka that were forced to fall back and regroup after taking heavy losses from counterattacks in that direction.

One bitter lesson I've learned is that you cannot leave your Sappers in the lurch: on the very first turn, when they advance to the wire and start clearing mines, you have to stack your infantry with them, so that they'll absorb the incoming fire and let the engineers survive the one-to-two turns it takes to clear the mines. My sappers on the left- and right-wings of this scenario were wiped out early on, and it's been giving me no end of grief to try to maneuver around uncleared minefields.

At the end of turn 5, we had 473 victory points. At the end of turn, we now have 1,024 points.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Bukrin Bridgehead update; from the end of turn 10, to the end of turn 13:

___

On the left, we've taken another objective hex from the German defensive perimeter. Our next step is to maneuver around the south/southwest of Berezovka to completely outflank the 200-point objective hex on the ridge just north of Pivtsy.

You see, in Panzer Campaigns, you don't exactly need to completely surround a unit to destroy it:
- if a unit loses an assault, it has to retreat
- if a hex does NOT have an enemy unit adjacent to it, then that hex is not within the enemy's "zone-of-control", and it is safe to retreat to that hex
- if a hex is adjacent to an enemy, BUT the hex is occupied by a friendly unit, then that hex is not within the enemy's "zone-of-control" (because it's occupied by a friendly unit), and it is safe to retreat to that hex
- if there are no safe hexes to retreat to, then surrender effects kick in and the unit takes massive casualties instead of retreating

What this means in practical terms is that if you have an enemy unit that is standing alone all by itself, with no adjacent friendlies, then that unit is in danger of being surrounded:

The one infantry unit I have directly north of the 200-point objective exerts a zone-of-control around the three hexes to the north of the objective.
If I can get a unit on the hex directly south of the objective hex (marked with a red O), then that unit will exert a zone-of-control around the three hexes to the south of the objective.

The enemy unit on the hex itself is then trapped - no safe hexes to retreat to, and it can be completely destroyed, instead of simply retreating.

On the right, from top to bottom:

- we're heavily engaged with a pioneer battalion just south of Buchak. We're pouring artillery and direct fire into that unit, to try to deplete it

- we were forced out of the 50-point objective hex on the perimeter, but we've depleted the German infantry that was part of that hex, and it's now "only" held by about 30 panzers. We should be able to take them out sooner or later

- around Studenets, we've made a deliberate tactical withdrawal, because all of our units in that section of the line were all Disrupted/Fatigued. We need to reconstitute before making any more moves in that direction

- the village of Bobritsa, to the south, is held by a unit of eight Panzer IVs. We have the better part of an infantry regiment ready to assault it, and so I'm expecting good results in that direction.

In the center, we've made some big gains, taking one of the 100-point objective hexes and greatly thinning out resistance to our front. Those three units with a [B] marker are "Broken", meaning they cannot participate in combat at all - they retreat upon being fired upon, and cannot advance in the direction of an enemy.

It's at this point where keeping one's eyes on the prize is important - we cannot get tied up advancing towards Khodorov, and need to proceed directly south to Romashki, where all the tasty objectives are.

___

At the end of turn 10, we had 1,024 victory points. At the end of turn 13, we now have 1,280 points.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

gradenko_2000 posted:

At the end of turn 10, we had 1,024 victory points. At the end of turn 13, we now have 1,280 points.

How's the Ai hold up?

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
\

Got lucky and managed to form the Kingdom of Norway and took over the Kingdom of Denmark in subjugation war because I had save-scummed and knew he was gonna try something eventually. Also snagged Iceland which is Catholic for some reason.

Now the thing is I always lose interest after blobbing as Ironside and getting into the succession wars and watching all this fall apart. I'm always quitting as the progress stops in these games and idk exactly why.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Noooo, go form the North Sea Empire.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

BrotherJayne posted:

How's the Ai hold up?

it's... functional

it'll make some boneheaded strategic-level moves like abandoning hexes that could have been good defensive terrain, and when concentrating its troops it can leave its flanks exposed, but it's very keen on punishing tactical mistakes, such as weakly-held individual hexes or vulnerable unit groupings that you as the human player leave on the board

all grognard games ultimately want a human player for the best experience, but the AI is good enough to get a feel for the game and the setting and the operational picture that the scenario wants to convey - these games usually make time as your primary opponent, and in such cases the AI simply throwing strongpoints in your way is enough of a challenge (and especially when you're me and you get sloppy with managing the HQ radius, keeping the OOB straight, and shuffling troops around the backline)

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

It's probably me but just about every time I do a playthrough of Victoria 3 automobiles never take off at all. It's trains all day.

I guess I could try to force it through with motorized reconnaissance but I often research aeroplanes roughly around the same time too.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

I never played long enough to get to automobiles. You just make so many trains for infrastructure, industry, and public transport before you even tech up to automobiles.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

automobiles need rubber and you can only get rubber from colonizing the tropics yourself because the AI never bothers building the infrastructure to get enough of a surplus for export

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

the bitcoin of weed posted:

automobiles need rubber and you can only get rubber from colonizing the tropics yourself because the AI never bothers building the infrastructure to get enough of a surplus for export

yeah, the AI not building anything to capitalize on some of the rarer commodities that the rest of the world will pay anything for is a headscratcher at times

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Danann posted:

It's probably me but just about every time I do a playthrough of Victoria 3 automobiles never take off at all. It's trains all day.

I guess I could try to force it through with motorized reconnaissance but I often research aeroplanes roughly around the same time too.

the AI is really bad at adopting new goods. it just happens to create a utopian world with no cars in this instance

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I would've thought it's more that trains just make sense and when you get them first, which you will for technological reasons, you have to actively destroy them and replace them with cars for religious reasons like America did

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I'm referring to the religion of number if that isn't clear btw

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

That's the thing about Vicky 3, since the game is purely materialist so most of the poo poo doesn't make sense. The game doesn't really enforce contradictions besides the hard coded stuff like land owning class being dominant and just complete assholes that reject any form of progress.

By materialist I mean physical goods number go up.

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
As implemented, rail transit is always going to reign supreme, you have to produce wildly outsized amounts of Transportation just to keep up on infrastructure while every Automobile could have been an industrial or naval Engine. The complete disconnect other than map-painting players between "has rubber" and "has notable 15+ SoL pops" comes way after that in terms of blocking.

Even if you're using automobile-centric military PMs, which are themselves obsoleted by aircraft almost immediately, there's no penalty for switching industrial PMs so no reason to manufacture them except in wartime. I guess maybe, maybe if you anticipate having an endgame GP military that's entirely armored and the amount of engines the tanks will need when you go to war is causing unsustainable losses to your motor works without the added income stream.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Bukrin Bridgehead update; from the end of turn 13, to the end of turn 16:

___

on the left, we're just about to begin our deployment to attack the 200-point hex north of Pivtsy.

we've actually been thrown out of the 50-point hex along the initial perimeter of this sector, but with most of our infantry deployed towards Pivtsy, there's not much to do but exchange fire and hope for the best.

on the right, from top to bottom:

- we've pushed back the Germans to the south of Buchak, and our troops are now in contact with the Buchak hex itself - once that falls, the right wing can merge with the center
- we've taken the 50-point objective hex along the perimeter
- overwhelming fire has eliminated so many German units that they're having trouble plugging-up the lines with a contiguous force
- to the very south, at Bobritsa, we spent the last three turns killing off Stugs holding the 100-point objective hex. We finally Disrupted the unit at the end turn 16, so I think we'll be able to take it on the next turn

in the center, from left to right:

- we're not advancing on Khodorov, and are merely maintaining a perimeter, but one of the weak German units stuck its neck out, so we pounced on it
- we were actually pushed out of that 100-point objective hex at Malyi Bukrin, but we responded by flanking it from the west, and now those troops are going to be liquidated with no hope of escape
- no movement between Malyi Bukrin and Grigorovka, as we've spent the last three turns blasting a concentration of troops holding this one entrenched hex. If you look at the gif transition, you'll see this hex change from three stacked units, to just one Broken unit by the end of turn 16
- on the the far right, our troops trying to advance on Buchak from the north are exhausted, and have been thrown back by the relatively fresh German units. I'm trying to bring down new units to replace them

___

At the end of turn 13, we had 1,280 victory points. At the end of turn 16, we now have 1,448 points.

for clarity, turn 13 was 1000 AM local on October 13, 1943, and turn 16 cover 1600 local

dusk is at 1800, so we have one more turn of daylight, then two turns of night. Next update will be at the end of the first dawn turn of Oct 14

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Bukrin Bridgehead update; from the end of turn 16, to the end of turn 19:

___

on the left, we've executed our hook around Pivtsy, and are proceeding to lay down fire against the defenders.

we also managed to take the 50-point objective on the bridgehead perimeter by coup-de-main

unfortunately, a unit of Stugs has also advanced on Rzhischev - it won't be able to dislodge us, but I don't really have anything to kill it either, so we're kind of at an impasse

on the right, we continue to hit Buchak as hard as we can. The Germans hold on, but they're going to collapse any minute now, I can feel it

we've also completely collapsed their lines between Buchak and Studenets - there's basically nothing left between us and Pshenichniki

even Bobritsa has been taken, and while there are still some troop concentrations in the south, the disintegration of their left means they can be outflanked

in the center, we're keeping our flank at Khodorov securely guarded, but resistance in front of Malyi Bukrin has been completely overcome. We're already at the front steps of Romashki, and there's just open space right up to the ridgeline where all that tasty Axis artillery is perched.

we are on the verge of an operational breakthrough!!!

___

At the end of turn 16, we had 1,448 victory points. At the end of turn 20, we now have 1,873 points.

this has bumped us up to a Minor Defeat, since we crossed the 1,600 point threshold - our next threshold is a Draw at 2,000 points

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I picked up a bunch of AGEOD games on sale - Pride of Nations, To End All Wars and Wars of Succession and I'm having a very hard time getting into, or even understanding, them. I realize this is probably how people feel about JTS titles as above (good work though btw, well executed river crossing in a difficult theatre).
The tutorials and manuals don't seem very helpful and while I'm marvelling at how complex everything is, it's turning into a slog even a few turns in. It goes without saying I'm playing all of these titles as Austria (Central Powers in TEAW, pending finding the To End All Wars Mod - Ultimate Enhancement Mod).

Can anyone explain how you're supposed to direct the economy in Pride of Nations? I can't even get a rail line from Vienna to Venice built, or at least, I'm not sure if it's being built. Private capital vs state funds is a bit murky and I have no idea whatsoever how stockpiles, balances and markets work, international and domestic. I can see that I need more coal to industrialize, which means developing Poland and the Czech lands. I can see that I need to identify industrial cities to build up, Prague, Wien, Budapest, Milan, but I have no money for it and no coal as an input. I can probably get the money to do that though developing the cattle and lumber industries, but it's murky.

Will the cattle and lumber be consumed internally or sold on the market? How do I do this and ensure I get the revenue flowing?

It really makes it seem like the Victorian Era was easy mode for the British Empire, as they already controlled India and international trade, had a head start on industrializing with the money from the above, and so as The Workshop of the World were able to undercut anyone trying to get the ball rolling.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
oh god Pride of Nations is like the one AGEOD game that's completely impenetrable - you figuring it out would be trailblazing for all the rest of us

generally AGEOD is better the less you need to interact with anything besides pushing armies and commanders around

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Don't play Pride of Nations. It is way too slow and not worth the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Well that’s disappointing but understandable. There’s so much potential there but Christ! The execution. I can’t even figure out what’s being made in Milan, where it’s sold, how to employ more workers…

AGEOD needs a UI designer desperately.

e: lol half of the overlays don’t have tooltips so I don’t know what information I’m even being presented with.