Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

glass onion is making me lawl so far, i hope it doesn't head into "don't look up" territory levels of cheese though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

MyronMulch posted:

More precisely it's a vajra

Pretty sure that's a butt plug.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Wendigee posted:

glass onion is making me lawl so far, i hope it doesn't head into "don't look up" territory levels of cheese though

It was cheesey but God drat if it wasn't loving spot on.

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

Hey...what kind of party is this? there's no booze and only one hooker!

silly sevens
So have his new nazi friends responded to the genius move of removing child exploitation safety standards and such? Cause they were really harping on Elon single handedly removing every bit of csam personally, because no matter how hard they looked they couldn’t find it. I assume they’re gonna spin it as “it’s no longer necessary since Elon removed all exploitation and saved the children” or something but it seems like a universally very bad move, even for chudsb

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

Scientastic posted:

If I remember correctly, this was sold by Musk as “humans only use their eyes, and we want the car to drive like a human does, therefore radar and LiDAR are only used by companies as a workaround for the fact their cars aren’t as good”
From many pages ago but seriously, let's stop that bullshit.

I have HARD SCIENTIFIC EVIDENCE that a car can drive in any weather conditions safely with only a pair of stereoscopic cameras mounted on a swivel. It is absolutely not necessary to have lidar or radar to drive a car safely.
The fact that the state of the art in digital camera technology and image recognition technology are both dogshit and self driving cars are still impossible is a separate issue.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Prettz posted:

I have HARD SCIENTIFIC EVIDENCE that a car can drive in any weather conditions safely with only a pair of stereoscopic cameras mounted on a swivel. It is absolutely not necessary to have lidar or radar to drive a car safely.
The fact that the state of the art in digital camera technology and image recognition technology are both dogshit and self driving cars are still impossible is a separate issue.

Yeah but that pair of stereoscopic cameras mounted on a swivel also has hands and feet. Do Teslas have hands? No. Do they have feet? Also no. And they crash.

Does the pair of stereoscopic cameras mounted on a swivel crash cars? Also yes.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

MyronMulch posted:

More precisely it's a vajra

Musk would totally be one of those shitheads who's really into Hinduism purely because it would serve as cover to let him post swastikas everywhere under the guise of "it's an ancient religious symbol, why are you so triggered?"

blackcat12951
Oct 23, 2012

HELLCAT BESTCAT

Doctor Rope

Steadiman posted:

So have his new nazi friends responded to the genius move of removing child exploitation safety standards and such? Cause they were really harping on Elon single handedly removing every bit of csam personally, because no matter how hard they looked they couldn’t find it. I assume they’re gonna spin it as “it’s no longer necessary since Elon removed all exploitation and saved the children” or something but it seems like a universally very bad move, even for chudsb

To them CSAM was anything trans positive or QANON based, they don't give a poo poo about actual harmful stuff.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Prettz posted:

I have HARD SCIENTIFIC EVIDENCE that a car can drive in any weather conditions safely with only a pair of stereoscopic cameras mounted on a swivel.

which is why cars never crash

Edwardly
Jun 28, 2011

Prettz posted:

You're right - lidar is not necessary if you have one of the most advanced systems for pattern matching and vision interpretation available on this planet developed over many millennia.

If you can't hook that up to a car, then lidar is a much better system for determining "what shape is that" and "how fuckin close is that thing" which a Tesla desperately needs for more optimally targeting a child in the road for successful impact.

tak
Jan 31, 2003

lol demowned
Grimey Drawer
the eye is almost but not quite entirely unlike a camera

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

Prettz posted:

:goonsay:

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Prettz posted:

Interesting

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.

Prettz posted:

It is absolutely not necessary to have lidar or radar to drive a car safely.

I mean if I could have a lidar module for rangefinding in my skull that would be badass, why are they so hung up on only using sight sensors? I guess fusion is hard but gently caress em, whatever

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Prettz posted:

I work with robots that have vision systems and hands with 3-12 vacuum or gripper fingers that usually operate with a .01% margin of error and I would never trust a vision system to drive a car

blackcat12951
Oct 23, 2012

HELLCAT BESTCAT

Doctor Rope

Luceid posted:

I mean if I could have a lidar module for rangefinding in my skull that would be badass, why are they so hung up on only using sight sensors? I guess fusion is hard but gently caress em, whatever

Because the LIDAR company they used wasn't happy about their product being used in a public alpha test. Cause musk can never be told no, he decided LIDAR was bad.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

There is no LIDAR in LIDARBILITY!

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

blackcat12951 posted:

Because the LIDAR company they used wasn't happy about their product being used in a public alpha test. Cause musk can never be told no, he decided LIDAR was bad.

Surprised musk didnt just buy them instead of twitter

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 33 minutes!
lmao Glass Onion is a perfectly-timed movie for this month, what even is reality

yook
Mar 11, 2001

YES, CLIFFORD THE BIG RED DOG IS ABSOLUTELY A KAIJU
I'm not sure what's going on but I'm posting it anyway

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZvrGn8tCZQ

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

Sorry to derail with this but I watched glass onion and it was ok enough. Flow of the movie felt a bit off with the lenghty flashback.

I watched the original Knives Out afterwards (with Benoit Blanc aswell) and it was multitudes better. Heavily recommend it

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

The main problem with Glass Onion is that Not Elon is a guy you could actually stand to be around in person for more than about three seconds

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
If I were a betting man I’d say that Elon will, apropos of nothing, start roasting The Last Jedi over the next few days on Twitter. Completely by coincidence ofc.

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION

So glad to see this. George Hotz is an absolute dork. I watched one of his coding streams once and it was outright embarrassing, his coding style is what I would call brute force coding where he spends absolutely stupid amounts of time just writing and rewriting code without ever checking docs. He's a terrible engineer. So much schad in this.

Cippalippus
Mar 31, 2007

Out for a ride, chillin out w/ a couple of friends. Going to be back for dinner
Back home with my parents for Christmas, I successfully managed to convince a friend to not order a tesla because of Elon Musk.

I can't possibly be the only one who was interested about Tesla and now wouldn't touch that brand anymore. If anything I would expect that he's "owning the libs", the only people who wanted to buy one of his cars, to gain the favour of assorted assholes who'd never buy an electric car. True genius right there.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
Tesla are so bad that my firm identified suing Tesla as a growth market and set up an entirely new department to do it.

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Cippalippus posted:

Back home with my parents for Christmas, I successfully managed to convince a friend to not order a tesla because of Elon Musk.

I can't possibly be the only one who was interested about Tesla and now wouldn't touch that brand anymore. If anything I would expect that he's "owning the libs", the only people who wanted to buy one of his cars, to gain the favour of assorted assholes who'd never buy an electric car. True genius right there.

there is no ethical consumption under capitalisms.

Also if you care about climate change and the enviroment telsa is the company that made the cars, buildt the charging network, showed that the model works, and now the ICE engine companies are playing catch up because they never took EV seriously.

Serious is elon a bad guy? was he always a bad guy? or is the fact he bought a unprofitable social media company, in scam that totally blew up in his face, the reason people are like "no no telsa cars are bad"

Elon's morality existed before he did the twitter thing and will exist after.

I never got on twitter, but its been a while now, why dont every one leave since its so bad

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Shut the gently caress up about "there is no ethical consumption under capitalism", the ultimate cop out line for smug assholes who are at the same time too lazy and selfish to impose any amount of self control on themselves.

Also lol at the rest of the post

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Elon musk doing the I'm the ba a a a a a aa d guy hook of the Billie eilish song

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

They also made a proprietary network no one else can use and is kinda illegal now cause its not metered correctly for the EU market and gave away free power in times of an energy crisis by cutting cutthroat deals and pushing competition out of the market with these methods and are getting sued in n the EU currently for this

tak
Jan 31, 2003

lol demowned
Grimey Drawer

Ups_rail posted:

Also if you care about climate change and the enviroment telsa is the company that made the cars, buildt the charging network, showed that the model works, and now the ICE engine companies are playing catch up because they never took EV seriously.

Serious is elon a bad guy? was he always a bad guy? or is the fact he bought a unprofitable social media company, in scam that totally blew up in his face, the reason people are like "no no telsa cars are bad"

I never got on twitter, but its been a while now, why dont every one leave since its so bad

lol which subreddit did you get that from it's hilarious

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Tesla are so bad that my firm identified suing Tesla as a growth market and set up an entirely new department to do it.

lol

tak
Jan 31, 2003

lol demowned
Grimey Drawer
hmm I have no idea if he's a bad guy

https://twitter.com/jasonleopold/status/1606414467361050624

there's just no way to tell, really

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Ups_rail posted:

is the fact he bought a unprofitable social media company, in scam that totally blew up in his face, the reason people are like "no no telsa cars are bad"

If you think the criticism of Tesla EVs is 100% tied to Elon then you have absolutely no loving idea what you're talking about and should maybe do more reading than posting!

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Stare-Out posted:

Yeah, like I said, he's worse than a 15 year-old me, in both handling wealth and tech, and that's saying something. Dude's a loving moron, a flab of pasty dead flesh animated only by the slight tingle of acknowledgment from other imbeciles and the resulting twitches lever the fates of the largest social media platform in the world and his company of murderous automobiles. It's a glorious mess and he's stubbornly bashing his head against the wall to own the libs. Perhaps I'm being naive in how much it manages to amaze me that he's loving this up so badly.

I'm pretty sure he's going into the history books as one of the biggest personal wealth failures of all time.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

steinrokkan posted:

Shut the gently caress up about "there is no ethical consumption under capitalism", the ultimate cop out line for smug assholes who are at the same time too lazy and selfish to impose any amount of self control on themselves.

Also lol at the rest of the post

Eh it’s the correct rebuttal to smug assholes that are all in on being righteous but only about certain things

Like if you don’t want to hear that stop being a hypocritical rear end in a top hat, pretty easy

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

Ups_rail posted:

I agree with you that Tesla was the first mover and jump started things, but (and this is huge alternate history speculation) if the untapped niche was truly worth $1.5 TRILLION in market cap then surely someone else would have stepped in. Hopefully someone who’s less full of poo poo.

Elon is a bad guy by almost any measure of badness, morality, harm to his direct family, harm to the planet as a whole, etc…

Elon was always a bad guy based on accounts of his family, his upbringing, his management styles at PayPal, SpaceX, Tesla.

Him buying the dumb social media company is making people realize TESLAS are bad, not electric cars in general. There’s also plenty of competition now so you can go buy an electric BMW or Ford Mustang or whatever and not give money to the stupidest man on the internet. I’m willing to bet a lot of Tesla’s market demographic (rich libs) are tired of being trolled on Twitter after 4 years of Trump, and the idea of giving $70,000 to a new Twitter shitlord is traumatizing to them.

People are leaving but Twitter was kind of a worldwide newspaper. A lot of reporters, companies, governments, rebels, protestors, used it to break news. There’s not a good replacement for that yet, but it’s not like it’s a particularly unique idea. There are tens of thousands of newspapers after all, just difficult to create one that everybody gets delivered.

The Twitter thing simply revealed Elons morality to the general public who previously saw him as either a visionary engineer genius at best and an eccentric rich guy at worst. Now everyone knows who he is - he’s your dipshit uncle at thanksgiving who won’t stop talking about bathroom genders and tries to explain your software engineering job to you, even though he’s a middle manager at a bank or an insurance company or something.

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

tak posted:

hmm I have no idea if he's a bad guy

https://twitter.com/jasonleopold/status/1606414467361050624

there's just no way to tell, really

Ah yes the classic no hand holding everyone should fend for themselves rightwing mindset, you just should not have been vulnerable in the first place.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

a pipe smoking dog posted:

How's that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.

space uncle posted:

The Twitter thing simply revealed Elons morality to the general public who previously saw him as either a visionary engineer genius at best and an eccentric rich guy at worst. Now everyone knows who he is - he’s your dipshit uncle at thanksgiving who won’t stop talking about bathroom genders and tries to explain your software engineering job to you, even though he’s a middle manager at a bank or an insurance company or something.

I have explicitly remember the Thai cave rescue being the point I personally soured on the guy. Not only did he try to bring down a legitimate hero, he then sued him for daring to try and clear his name.
https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2018/jul/15/elon-musk-british-diver-thai-cave-rescue-pedo-twitter