Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

Talorat posted:

It’s the direction you approach the stranger from, the doors are on opposite sides of the ring world.The direction you come at it from the satellite the first time will always be the one that drops the raft in the water, which is good because it’s an incredibly impactful moment.

That's awesome! I wonder why I ended up going in that way more than once... maybe I'm misremembering and it was only the first couple of times. I appreciate that they remind you of your ability to waypoint things from your ship computer early on. That's an easy thing to overlook in the main game as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

So I've been to all the planets except the bramble, and the comet so far. Presently exploring ember/ash twin.

I have a question about the ghost matter. Every time I see a ghost matter spot I just ignore it and assume something will allow me access later. Am I actually meant to carefully navigate thru those areas with the scout camera ball thing? If i'm meant to access those areas I've presumably missed key discoveries in each location (hah).

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Yes use the scout to avoid the pockets. Not everything is covered in it

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

You don't need to launch the scout, there's a camera that will let you take photos directly to show ghost matter. (I think? It's been a while.)

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Dec 9, 2022

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

MikeJF posted:

You don't need to launch the scout, there's a camera that will let you take photos directly to show ghost matter. (I think? It's been a while.)

Left/right on the dpad to switch. Tons of people ignore this for some reason.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
If there is ghost matter, you're either meant to navigate carefully or find another way around. It doesn't dissipate or go away, it's just meant to be a narrative way to block you.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?

shacked up with Brenda posted:

So I've been to all the planets except the bramble, and the comet so far. Presently exploring ember/ash twin.

I have a question about the ghost matter. Every time I see a ghost matter spot I just ignore it and assume something will allow me access later. Am I actually meant to carefully navigate thru those areas with the scout camera ball thing? If i'm meant to access those areas I've presumably missed key discoveries in each location (hah).

Generally, don't think in terms of Metroidvania "I'm going to get a tool to access this area later" logic. TECHNICALLY it does work that way, but only insomuch as the tools are the information you learn.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Cojawfee posted:

If there is ghost matter, you're either meant to navigate carefully or find another way around. It doesn't dissipate or go away, it's just meant to be a narrative way to block you.

Well the death effect is blocked by water but that's barely relevant.

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.
I'm sure there is a situation somewhere that can take that into account but it really isn't worthwhile. Maybe on Giants Deep? But yeah generally that's not even something the game directly tells you or demonstrates, so it's something to be inferred by other information or tested on a whim and you never need to swim past ghost matter.

There is very little you can do in terms of "unlocks" that carries over to the start of the day. Ship log knowledge (and tracking), conversational knowledge, and meditation, that's about it.

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

yeah, ghost matter is usually (but not always) yet another way the game likes to tease you with goals. like holes in the wall or the remote viewing stations, they give you a peek at a place you can't get to directly from where you're at, so you have to figure out another way in.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

TheDarkFlame posted:

I'm sure there is a situation somewhere that can take that into account but it really isn't worthwhile. Maybe on Giants Deep? But yeah generally that's not even something the game directly tells you or demonstrates, so it's something to be inferred by other information or tested on a whim and you never need to swim past ghost matter.

There's a spot on Giant's Deep where you use it to get past ghost matter and find a hint from Feldspar while it's getting dunked. And I think it becomes relevant in Echoes in some areas flooded by the dam, but not critically relevant it can just be handy.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

The biggest place that ghost matter getting blocked by water is relevant is in the deep backstory: It's how the early Hearthians survived.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

FrickenMoron posted:

Left/right on the dpad to switch. Tons of people ignore this for some reason.

Ha, I've played through this twice and the dlc once and never noticed this.

If you shoot the scout into a deadly area I like that it gives you an indicator so you can fire it near you and move.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

hi i like outer wilds and echoes a lot so i got a thing :shobon:

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Dec 10, 2022

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
that's sick

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Ciaphas posted:

No ring

Seriously though, kick rear end and great work on the ink itself!

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Ciaphas posted:

That's amazing!

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

gdi i've just been fedex arrow'd :argh:

(lol)

but yeah that came out almost perfectly. i wonder if the purple half can be made brighter colored though, the lines made it darker than i thought

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Oh huh I never actually noticed the difference in depiction of the eye between the Owlks and the Nomai before. Don't know how I missed that one.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

MikeJF posted:

Oh huh I never actually noticed the difference in depiction of the eye between the Owlks and the Nomai before. Don't know how I missed that one.
i only happened to notice 'cause I was looking at the cover art for the echoes OST and i was like "wait, isn't that detailing supposed to be more ordered & straight lines than that?" and it was as you said. so i figured, okay, let's split em in half, put the halves together and blend them into each other, and bob's your uncle

as if one bideo james tattoo wasn't enough, I had another idea from the game that i want to get done, of (echoes)one of the skeletal owlks holding their lantern, like the dude on the right of the metal T-shirt artwork, except with the flame (and skull?) lit up in greens like ingame https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0072/3638/6882/products/T-Shirt-2.png

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
This is only tangentially OW related but I've been playing STALKER Anomaly lately, and one of the random ambient tracks that can play sounds very similar to the opening notes of the supernova music and every time it plays I have a split second of like "oh poo poo out of time" before I realize I'm playing a completely different game.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Ciaphas posted:

this is extremely cool

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math
Quoting from the Outer Wilds Speedrunning Discord:

Good news everyone!
Outer Wilds is back at the Games Done Quick - the biggest speedrunning event in the world - to raise money for the Prevent Cancer Foundation.
This time ptminsker will be performing Stranger 100% (which means complete logs on the DLC portion of the game) live, with commentary from thestrangepie and Dan Park. And as a bonus there will be a donation goal to get a run of (spoilers for base game speedrunning) Hotshot Shipless! (which means (base game) getting onto the sun station without your ship or teleporting).
To see that, be there Tuesday, Jan 10th, 7PM Eastern US time.
In the meantime, check out:
Ptminsker on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/@ptminsker
Ptminsker on Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/ptminsker
The full schedule: https://gamesdonequick.com/schedule

dirby fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Dec 11, 2022

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.

dirby posted:

(spoilers for base game speedrunning) Hotshot Shipless! (which means (base game) getting onto the sun station without your ship or teleporting).

Ahahaa, speedrunners, is there anything you won't try to do

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Flying there was so hard until I realized you could use the eject button to basically shoot yourself into the hallway from your ship. The problem isn't the getting there, after all, it's the fact that being so close to the sun disables your ship's grav crystal.

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

GlyphGryph posted:

Flying there was so hard until I realized you could use the eject button to basically shoot yourself into the hallway from your ship. The problem isn't the getting there, after all, it's the fact that being so close to the sun disables your ship's grav crystal.

I've picked up the game again recently to try out the DLC and while I ended up hating it with a burning passion, going for and nailing that hotshot achievement was a new highlight of the base game for me. I completely forgot about the eject button though so my method was a complete mess of trying to shove my ship into some debris to keep it in place long enough to jump down the hatch and (hopefully) fall into the station rather than the sun. (I fell into the sun a whole bunch)

5/5 A+ would do it again

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I want to play Echoes of the Eye but I am absolutely terrible with horror games. Is this more atmospheric horror, or are there jumpscares and stuff that chase you etc?

If it's atmospheric horror, I can deal with it. If it's jumpscares and eldritch horrors that chase me, then I will hard pass.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:
There are goofy aliens that will chase you around if they see you and it can be terrifying if they catch you. There is an option that makes them easier to work around.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

If you really really can't deal with it, you can use this mod to semi-neuter that: the horror scares rely heavily on darkness and a limited torch cone to do the jumpscaring and the mod brightens things up a little bit so you can see, at the cost of bypassing the challenge in navigating those bits. It still means you can explore the story though. (Just the description on the mod page spoils, so maybe just remember this and come back to it when you first hit the pitch-black part of the expansion)

Also, yeah, turn on the ingame 'reduced horror' option, but all that really does it reduce the frequency somewhat.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Qubee posted:

I want to play Echoes of the Eye but I am absolutely terrible with horror games. Is this more atmospheric horror, or are there jumpscares and stuff that chase you etc?

If it's atmospheric horror, I can deal with it. If it's jumpscares and eldritch horrors that chase me, then I will hard pass.

It’s mostly that there are dark areas with things that will chase you, but it’s not jump scares - it’s more that it’s stealth sequences. Sometimes something might catch you by surprise by coming up behind you but there’s no cheap shots where stuff just appears out of nowhere, it’s all avoidable by just paying attention or learning their routes. The actual things themselves are a bit spooky looking but more in a “sinister looking alien” way than a “horror monster” way. If you can handle the more “evil” looking Star Wars aliens then you should be fine with Echoes of the Eye.

The Cheshire Cat fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Dec 24, 2022

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

I don't think it's really any scarier than the angler fish.

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

The main question you should ask yourself before getting Echoes of the Eye isn’t « is this too scary for me ?» (it’s not), it’s « how tolerant am I to frustration ? ».

It’s a single area you’ll be visiting over, and over, and over again with none of the base game’s variety (for instance your spaceship will be a glorified loading screen past the initial discovery) so if that area and its puzzles don’t click with you…

I’m sad to say this because the base game is easily my favorite of all time but this expansion is kind of a different beast and I think it has some fundamental issues in how it tosses aside most of the base games mechanics in favor of a clunky Zelda adventure.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Different strokes for different folks I guess, because I loved it. It's a much "deeper" area than anything in the base game, with more stuff crammed cleverly into a smaller area and with a much greater visual impact as well.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Same here. I don't mind that you don't do much with your ship in the DLC. The main area is incredibly dense with new stuff to do, and the aforementioned areas of darkness - while pretty difficult for me at first - get way better once you uncover some of the hidden mechanics to better navigate. I'm glad the developers tried a different set of mechanics in those areas, and then - in typical Outer Wilds fashion - got clever with those, too.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Sassy Sasquatch posted:

The main question you should ask yourself before getting Echoes of the Eye isn’t « is this too scary for me ?» (it’s not), it’s « how tolerant am I to frustration ? ».

It’s a single area you’ll be visiting over, and over, and over again with none of the base game’s variety (for instance your spaceship will be a glorified loading screen past the initial discovery) so if that area and its puzzles don’t click with you…

I’m sad to say this because the base game is easily my favorite of all time but this expansion is kind of a different beast and I think it has some fundamental issues in how it tosses aside most of the base games mechanics in favor of a clunky Zelda adventure.

Yeah I ended up quitting after three or four aborted trips to the "other world". Being forced to do the same thing over and over because of lame jump scares and lovely stealth mechanics in an area where you can't see anything anyway was really not fun, so I bailed. Oh well. The base game still stands as one of the best gaming experiences I've ever had.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

ColdPie posted:

Yeah I ended up quitting after three or four aborted trips to the "other world". Being forced to do the same thing over and over because of lame jump scares and lovely stealth mechanics in an area where you can't see anything anyway was really not fun, so I bailed. Oh well. The base game still stands as one of the best gaming experiences I've ever had.

Was it soon after it was released? They've iterated on those bits a lot since release to make them less frustrating and more fun. Not that I'm saying you should go back and do it but for new players it should be a better experience.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

It was. I guess I could try again, but I dunno, to be honest I just wasn't having any fun at all with the new area. It just totally doesn't fit with the rest of the game IMO.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

ColdPie posted:

It was. I guess I could try again, but I dunno, to be honest I just wasn't having any fun at all with the new area. It just totally doesn't fit with the rest of the game IMO.

If you can get through the Endless Cavern, where you will have to get past only 3 of the inhabitants (the last of which is never a problem if you don't stop moving) then you learn a mechanic that allows you to partially cheese the whole stealth aspect

I really, really hate horror and jumpscares but I powered through it and it was worth it in the end

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I got perhaps the gentlest introduction to the jumpscare mechanic possible (Went into the music lodge while it was populated, got to see the jumpscare coming inexorably but with time to brace) and 95% of the time it's very evident they're coming and the gentlest jumpscare I've ever encountered, which is good, because I feel like jumpscares (by themselves, discounting atmospheric horror surrounding them) are the laziest form of horror. Used well they're simply failure states that you saw coming because the scenario sold them well, which is how EotE does them.

And there's two good payoffs to having the jumpscare mechanic, one in the ending of the DLC, the other in the additional bit of ending added to the main game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

My main complaint about Echoes is that completing a stealth section should have taught you the shortcuts/easy way to beat other stealth sections rather than the one you just beat.