Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

MarcusSA posted:

I’m trying to make some bone broth for my dog and the recipe says to simmer for 9 hours. What would the insta pot equivalent be?

It specifically says not to boil it but that shouldn’t be a problem in the insta pot right?

usually smaller bones will be breaking down by an hour of pressure cooking, probably plenty of time

(it will of course boil like crazy that whole time but it's for a dog not like a fancy stock you're trying to keep clear)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

eke out posted:

usually smaller bones will be breaking down by an hour of pressure cooking, probably plenty of time

(it will of course boil like crazy that whole time but it's for a dog not like a fancy stock you're trying to keep clear)

Ok thanks! They only had rather large bones (approx 8 inches) so should I cook them for a bit longer you think?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
An hour or two at pressure will make great stock

However, you should let it depressurize naturally instead of using the vent, it will make skimming the fat easier

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

BraveUlysses posted:

An hour or two at pressure will make great stock

However, you should let it depressurize naturally instead of using the vent, it will make skimming the fat easier

Perfect! Yeah I just did some quick google work and they all mentioned that last part.

I’m not sure I want to skim the fat though since it’s for a dog?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Maybe? But at least you can choose how much you want to skim

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Sounds good. This batch wasn’t expensive at all so if it’s not right it’s not a huge loss.

Testro
May 2, 2009
I always cooked beef/lamb/pork bones for 2 hours on high pressure.

Add around 2.2 litres / 10 cups of water. If you want it more gelatinous, add pig trotters or chicken feet.

Always let the Instant Pot naturally depressurise (takes about 30 minutes), else you risk spurting hot broth through the vent as you release pressure.

Strain the broth, cool it in a sink of cold water, and then put it in the fridge. The fat will settle to the top and you can scrape it off easily if you don't want to keep it.

Bones stand up to multiple runs through the Instant Pot - so I would always use the same bones for a second batch and maximise your use out of them. Add a couple of fresh bones if you like (or fresh trotters/chicken feet).

I tend to only make chicken broth these days, and I deliberately add some chicken meat to it (so it's not a pure bone broth) - 2 hours makes for a really rich result, but 1 hour is perfectly adequate for chicken.

As I make broths for my consumption, I always add a fair amount of salt - you probably don't want to do this for a pet though. If you decide to consume any yourself, I'd recommend adding salt to taste on reheating it.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I didn’t think that the bones would make another batch but that’s a good tip! I might try another batch today after this one is done

JoshGuitar
Oct 25, 2005
Last year I bought 20 pounds of beef bones and made/pressure canned a ton of beef stock. I got 6 batches out of the bones before giving up...I just used fresh veggies and a new can of tomato paste with each batch, roasting them first in some of the beef fat. There's a noticeable difference in quality from batch to batch, but even batch 6 is better than most storebought stock.. So batch 6 is used in place of water for beef stew, batch 1 is for things like prime rib au jus, and the other batches are for anything in between.

I've also started using a gravy separator to defat my stock. It's much faster than cooling it down and waiting, especially if you're gonna can it. Then make sure you cook the water out of the fat, strain it, and save it for cooking too...waste not, want not.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

JoshGuitar posted:

I've also started using a gravy separator to defat my stock. It's much faster than cooling it down and waiting, especially if you're gonna can it. Then make sure you cook the water out of the fat, strain it, and save it for cooking too...waste not, want not.

This made a world of difference for me for chicken stock - went from skimming it when cold to having absolutely nothing to skim off.

OXO make an excellent fat separator jug which has its own anus. Rather than relying on a spout with an opening at the bottom, this thing allows you to squeeze the handle which unclenches the anus and the fat-free liquid is excreted into your vessel of choice. It cost about twice as much as the one with the spout but it was a worthwhile investment.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

OXO make an excellent fat separator jug which has its own anus. Rather than relying on a spout with an opening at the bottom, this thing allows you to squeeze the handle which unclenches the anus and the fat-free liquid is excreted into your vessel of choice. It cost about twice as much as the one with the spout but it was a worthwhile investment.

I have this and can confirm it's a really good anus.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

I have a non-Oxo anus-style separator and I found that after a few years, nasty scunge was accumulating around the sphincter, and I couldn't see a way of cleaning it without pulling the sphincter away from the measuring cup, which felt like a great way to make it leak. Does the Oxo somehow resist that problem?

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Zorak of Michigan posted:

I have a non-Oxo anus-style separator and I found that after a few years, nasty scunge was accumulating around the sphincter, and I couldn't see a way of cleaning it without pulling the sphincter away from the measuring cup, which felt like a great way to make it leak. Does the Oxo somehow resist that problem?

I gently pull up the sphincter and sphincter arm and run a pipe cleaner in and around the anus which has worked well and I haven't noticed any leaks thus far.

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth
:stonklol:

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

The Midniter posted:

I gently pull up the sphincter and sphincter arm and run a pipe cleaner in and around the anus which has worked well and I haven't noticed any leaks thus far.
Sphinxtergal2069: drat bby that's smooth

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Thread is delivering the goods, thank you!

I made the serious eats pressure cooker pea soup on the weekend and it was fantastic. Just perfect for a cool fall weekend with some nice crusty sourdough.

https://www.seriouseats.com/30-minute-pressure-cooker-split-pea-soup-recipe

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

hypnophant posted:

No. Live with it or replace it.
Ok. What's a good (electric) pressure cooker (6 liters or more)?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Xander77 posted:

Ok. What's a good (electric) pressure cooker (6 liters or more)?

Instant pot

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I have the crazy enormous ninja pressure cooker/air fryer and the big insta pot with the handles and the answer is insta pot. Ninja has more bells and whistles like the free heart attack inducing quick release option but the stainless steel bowl and handles just win out.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I also have the ninja monstrosity and never use it. It’s just way too big and having to store a second lid is a pain in the rear end.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

I'll never buy a Ninja product again after my wife bought the useless blender with a dozen useless attachments.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I also have the ninja monstrosity and never use it. It’s just way too big and having to store a second lid is a pain in the rear end.

one I have has a slider on the one flip lid that turns it from pressure cooker to air fryer

you cannot under any circumstances use it to air fry meat, because guess what happens the next time you try to pressure cook, no matter how well you think you have cleaned it...

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

wallaka posted:

I'll never buy a Ninja product again after my wife bought the useless blender with a dozen useless attachments.

all my friends keep buying these over and over even after I show them my vitamix :smith:

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I have kenwood chef and all the slicing and dicing attachments costing hundreds of pounds over the years and it turns out Bosch give most of them to you for free with their all in one food processor

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Does anyone have the air fryer lid for the Instant Pot? I haven't joined the air fryer bandwagon yet, and I have some doubts about the lid. The instant pot is a mediocre slow cooker, and I feel like the same would go for trying to also serve as an air fryer. Plus, the lid looks like it's so big, I imagine I wouldn't be saving much storage space versus just getting a dedicated air fryer

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

404notfound posted:

Does anyone have the air fryer lid for the Instant Pot? I haven't joined the air fryer bandwagon yet, and I have some doubts about the lid. The instant pot is a mediocre slow cooker, and I feel like the same would go for trying to also serve as an air fryer. Plus, the lid looks like it's so big, I imagine I wouldn't be saving much storage space versus just getting a dedicated air fryer

It’s fine for what I’ve done with it, mostly frozen foods and carrots. The lid can stack with the instant pot itself.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

404notfound posted:

I do. If you have the room, skip the air fryer lid and get a real air fryer.

mystes
May 31, 2006

I have one and I do sometimes use it but it kind of sucks

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Any particular model?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Definitely hear out opinions on it. For me, the only mode I use on mine is manual pressure so the 6 in 1 and 8 in 1 stuff means nothing to me. Just get the size that works for you. I have the 6 liter but if you have a family to cook for the 8 liter may be preferable. I also have a separate air fryer, which based on feedback in this thread is the way to go.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

the 6qt duo is fine; you may want an 8qt if you make big batches of stock or feed a lot of people, though you can make butter chicken for a crowd in the 6qt. imo the main reason to get the upgrade models is for the dial to set cook times, the extra modes aren’t worth paying extra for unless there’s a specific feature you know you want.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
If you get the air fryer lid you absolutely must get a second bowl.

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
I have the 8qt, which mostly works for what I need, but the idea of doing preset oatmeal would be great, but THAT would be for 2 servings, which it's too big for.

We often have 5-6 over for dinner, so stews, soups, and just a crap load of rice happens.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

hypnophant posted:

the 6qt duo is fine; you may want an 8qt if you make big batches of stock or feed a lot of people, though you can make butter chicken for a crowd in the 6qt. imo the main reason to get the upgrade models is for the dial to set cook times, the extra modes aren’t worth paying extra for unless there’s a specific feature you know you want.
1. 6 quarts is 5.7 liters, so my new pot wouldn't fit that either, right?

2. Turns out that various "Instant Pot in Israel" sites are there specifically to let you know you can't actually buy one within Israel and have to buy on amazon + pay import fees. Cool.

So out of Sauter, Ninja, Hamilton Beach, and Crockpot, which is the best option? Not Ninja, apparently?

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Crockpot but try and get the stainless steel option in any of them if your options are limited.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
I got a heavy discount on one of those ninja air fryer/pressure cooker/dehydrator/sous vide/blowjob things. Looking forward to making some amazing short ribs and possibly blowing up grandma.

Did pea and ham soup and yam fries already and I'm pretty sure I'm gonna get my money's worth on soup, chilli and fries before the end of February at this rate.

Also gonna get fat.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
One thing our ninja bells and whistles has been used for this winter is every day at 11am I’ve been putting on a big pot of random vegetables for 20 low and then adding vegetarian gravy to thicken it up, and then the (adult) kids have been materialising and helping themselves till it’s gone. One is vegetarian one isn’t, so they can cook a separate thing to go with it if they like, but mostly they just eat it as is.

Ninja needs much less liquid to get to pressure than an instant pot btw.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
I love having a yogurt setting. I've never actually made yogurt with it but I frequently ferment dosa batter in my multicooker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
I'm gonna do a bunch of ribs this week. Dry rub, pressure cook for half hr or so, baste and roast at around 370.

Can the ribs just just be rolled up and stuffed into the cooker for the pressure cook or does there need to be some airflow around them? Seems pretty obvious but I've said that before so...