Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Fuzzie Dunlop posted:

I think NeoFly is the recommendation at this point to get your "progression" fix. It's free, has a bunch of features, and I think is still being regularly updated. Air Hauler I think still has the weird attachment to a real world calendar, so if you end up busy IRL and can't fly for a few weeks/months you've still paid fees on everything in sim world. That and the developer's hardline stance against an ability to turn it off made NeoFly the obvious choice.

I would up buying ORBX's Sky Park thing last night. I hopped on a couple of flights using it and everything worked well enough. I am earning money but I don't know if it's used for anything since there don't seem to be maintenance or fuel charges. There is a cost associated with taking jobs that aren't near where you have been flying though and it sounds like there are bigger plans for however that will eventually work out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

How is AeroFly FS 4 on Steam?

jasoneatspizza
Jul 6, 2010
Anyone know how to set up and properly use reverse thrust on an Xbox controller? I might be seriously misunderstanding how reverse thrust works. I'm using the Grand Caravan. I've tried both toggle and hold. It seems like sometimes I do get reverse, but then when I let go of or toggle off reverse, the throttle snaps to full forward for some reason. I noticed on the Caravan, you can decrease throttle into the negative, but doing that alone doesn't seem to engage reverse thrust. I'm using A and B for increase/decrease throttle, and Y for either hold or toggle reverse thrust. What exact button sequence should I be doing?

Also, is this something I can test from idle when starting on the runway? Want to make sure testing from there isn't messing me up somehow.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

I haven't tried with a controller, but for my throttles I bind a button to "reduce thrust" and it will pull the throttles back into the reverser range. This button, though, is a hardware detente below "0" on the throttle axis. Comparably I think on a controller you'd want to make sure your throttle setting was idle and not somehow 'chattering' (reporting like 1% sometimes) and then hold a button for reduce throttle. I don't know how a throttle works on the Xbox controller, but say its a 'sticky' scale that you advance or decrease with a thumbstick(?), I would lower that to zero, then hold X (bound to reduce thrust) to pull the throttles back into reverse.

For me to exit reverser, I have to actually just barely blip the throttle past 0% so that the game picks up the axis again instead of the button, even though its no longer held.

That said given that this game probably has very specific default controls for the Xbox controller given that it plays on Xbox, I wonder if you might not have to really break into some settings to 'fix' the behavior you're seeing.

jasoneatspizza
Jul 6, 2010
Thanks. I think I figured out how to make it work on gamepad. B is mapped to decrease throttle by default. So I have to reduce throttle to idle first (A+B is by default already mapped to a shortcut to set throttle to idle, so I can use that to make sure), then hold B for reverse thrust. I can then press A+B again to go back to idle.

Doesn't seem like I need to bother with the settings that are actually called "reverse thrust."

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
How proprietary are stick extensions?

I've got a Warthog joystick and I'd like to put an extension into the joystick since I'm mostly loving around with helicopters at the moment. Are there any that will work if I upgrade to a winwing/vkb/virpil down the line or are extensions specific to the brand? I kind of expect the answer to be 'Yes you idiot, they're specific' but I know you can mount a warthog grip into some of the other bases, so maybe it'd be compatible.

Virpil looks like it'd work for me (and it's ~$30), but it's also backordered, so maybe that's not the way to go.

Bedurndurn fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Dec 23, 2022

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I said come in! posted:

How is AeroFly FS 4 on Steam?

I went ahead and just bought this. I like this sim, but for totally different reasons from MSFS. It's no where near as good looking, not even close. But it loads very fast, the UI is much simpler. It is also way more casual friendly; the copilot AI actually works in this, where MSFS its a feature that might as well not be there. Overall MSFS is still better, but if I am not feeling like going through all of the effort to get it started up, and get a flight going, AeroFly 4 is a great alternative.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Bedurndurn posted:

I've got a Warthog joystick and I'd like to put an extension into the joystick since I'm mostly loving around with helicopters at the moment. Are there any that will work if I upgrade to a winwing/vkb/virpil down the line or are extensions specific to the brand? I kind of expect the answer to be 'Yes you idiot, they're specific' but I know you can mount a warthog grip into some of the other bases, so maybe it'd be compatible.

Virpil looks like it'd work for me (and it's ~$30), but it's also backordered, so maybe that's not the way to go.

If the base and grip are cross-compatible, an extension should be too. It's just a tube with a specific thread on each end and a male-female cable extension inside.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

Has X-Plane always had this or is this a new thing?

Edit: the AI

JayKay fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Dec 24, 2022

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I think it has had gauges this whole time.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

TRAFFIC TRAFFIC....DESCEND DESCEND

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

JayKay posted:

They should have replaced the "off" flag model with it

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

JayKay posted:

Santa's got a real high AOA there.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Bedurndurn posted:

Building on what Sagebrush said, there's really two main lines here: Thrustmaster Warthog (which is what Virpil and Winwing use as well) and VKB, who decided to do their own thing rather than something that offers an easy cross-compatibility upgrade path. Since you're already on the TMWH path, just about anything is already compatible as it is, again, except VKB where you'd also need to worry about adaptor kits.

If you look around, it's also possible to find bespoke builds for sticks that aren't really modular — all the low- and mid-end stuff — but by virtue of those mostly being hardware hacks rather than replacement parts for an inherently modular system, they will obviously be proprietary by default. But that's something you obviously don't need to worry about in your situation.

As for Virpil backorders, that's pretty much the default state — it used to be that you had to watch the store like a hawk or set up some botting alert system, but these days, you can just order and you'll be put into the queue so you get whatever you order once they've managed to build one.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Honestly, if you’re in Europe (or most of the rest of the world other than the US) it’s just a piece of hollow thick-wall pipe with M36x2.0 threads on both ends. The issue in the US is that metric tap and dies aren’t super common, and mostly end at M20 when you do find them. The tap and die set for M36x2.0 is like $75 over here, so doing just a single extension is’t really worth it. The cable is literally just a PS2 cable, which are cheap and available in arbitrary lengths.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Bentai posted:

Santa's got a real high AOA there.

I imagine he'd have to in order to get off of a roof. Those Reindeer have some lift.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Somebody on the WT discord bought one of these generic AP control panels with every knob and button you could want:

https://www.flightsimpm.com/web-store/GA-Autopilot-p234158103

Sold out at the moment but it looks like exactly what I'm looking for and the price seems reasonable too

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
I had a carefully decided plan laid out in my Steam wishlist for when me and my brother exchanged same-priced Steam giftcards to one and other earlier today, the day of baby Santa's birthday. Now I've been stewing in "the idea of gaming" all day long, combined with MS seemingly reducing MS Flight Sims price to 80% off for about three minutes at the start of the Steam Winter sale to lure me in.

So what started out as one medium-ish sports game purchase and a few small roguelike games with gift-card money left over has now barrelled into I me thinking of getting MSFS2020, and an economy plug-in, maybe a yoke and throttle, eventually, possibly some navigation buttons, definitely a stand to put them all on. And if I have money left over maybe I'll buy one crate of beer or go out once before next September. But before I give up halfway through all that... Whoops, bang, there goes my plan to save for a new GPU. The GPU I probably need to run Flight Sim.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Someone gave me this flying stuff. Are they usable with current flight sims? Maybe with a serial to usb adapter? If not, does it have any valuable like as a collectible?

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Tried to get VATSIM going in the 320neo and flipped the Center frequency from STBY to Active only for it to immediately clear back to 121.9. This is with vPilot up and me getting a Tx light when I key the mic.

In the split second where the active frequency worked, I could hear ATC chatter, but just for a split second. Same happens with ATIS.

What did I do wrong?

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

CBJSprague24 posted:

Tried to get VATSIM going in the 320neo and flipped the Center frequency from STBY to Active only for it to immediately clear back to 121.9. This is with vPilot up and me getting a Tx light when I key the mic.

In the split second where the active frequency worked, I could hear ATC chatter, but just for a split second. Same happens with ATIS.

What did I do wrong?
Is there some atc assist in the game options? Also default or FlyByWire?

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

ChocNitty posted:

Someone gave me this flying stuff. Are they usable with current flight sims? Maybe with a serial to usb adapter? If not, does it have any valuable like as a collectible?

A Serial to USB could work depending on your OS I M DUM DUM

You could probably convert them to USB via a Audino or similar. It requires a little bit of technical knowledge but there's a lot of documentation out there on similar gear of that era.

Don't know if it has any collectible value, but folks who know how to convert them would probably be interested.

JayKay fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Dec 27, 2022

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]

ChocNitty posted:

They're likely not serial ports, but 15-pin "gameport" connectors that were used on early joysticks and similar. They were usually found on sound cards. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Game_port

It appears there are gameport-to-USB adapters out there: https://www.amazon.com/USB-Joystick-Gameport-Converter-Adapter/dp/B078W1VT1R/

With the adapters they'd show up as USB devices and I assume they'd be compatible with modern games at that point. I don't know about their response or usability compared to modern devices though. Certainly seems like a lot of trouble to setup unless you really liked the feel of the joystick or wanted to go for a retro setup or something.

This forum post seems to indicate the buttons were actually connected using a PS/2 keyboard port, so you'd need a PS/2 to USB adapter for that. I think it's visible in your photo along with 3 gameport ports.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ChocNitty posted:

Totally usable with Game Port to USB adapters. Not sure off the top of my head how they all connect together, but I bet the PS/2 port is on the throttle and it plugs into the joystick, and then the stick connects to your game port. That model was very common. Dunno about the rudder.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

CBJSprague24 posted:

What did I do wrong?

You probably have the ai copilot switched on and it's "helpfully" switching you to your ground frequency or something. Check the drop down menu at the top of the screen.

Also I hope you mean you're using the a32nx mod because the default a320neo is not really going to be usable on vatsim for a number of reasons.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Adapter compatibility isn't so simple with game port devices. There are certain adapters out there that only work with specific devices, and some adapters with mode switches to try to ensure more compatibility, but they still aren't 100%. So just beware of that.

edit: This reportedly works with the flight control system, not sure about the others (but probably?): https://www.amazon.com/USB-Joystick-Gameport-Converter-Adapter/dp/B078W1VT1R/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

https://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-reviews/R37QLRK49Z6EAA/ref=cm_cr_getr_d_rvw_ttl?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B078W1VT1R

It's pretty expensive and you would need three, though. There's another adapter on Amazon by Belkin for $10, but I'm pretty sure that won't work. There are also reports I've read from people with similar adapters, and it seems like they may sometimes enable only partial functionality of certain devices. It's not a matter of "does work" or "doesn't work," but "only some buttons work and my racing wheel can only register turns to the left."

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Dec 27, 2022

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Wolfy posted:

Is there some atc assist in the game options? Also default or FlyByWire?

Sapozhnik posted:

You probably have the ai copilot switched on and it's "helpfully" switching you to your ground frequency or something. Check the drop down menu at the top of the screen.

Also I hope you mean you're using the a32nx mod because the default a320neo is not really going to be usable on vatsim for a number of reasons.

That's exactly what it was. I went in and did a radio check immediately after turning off the AI ATC communications and got through.

I've been using the default 320neo until I could find something I could justify dropping north of $50 on (hence my eyeballing the 757). Are all the default models crap or are there at least some with which it would be functional?

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

CBJSprague24 posted:

That's exactly what it was. I went in and did a radio check immediately after turning off the AI ATC communications and got through.

I've been using the default 320neo until I could find something I could justify dropping north of $50 on (hence my eyeballing the 757). Are all the default models crap or are there at least some with which it would be functional?

Get the free FlybyWire A320 mod. https://flybywiresim.com/

The default aircraft are all lacking
The FBW is the most realistic free airliner available (Maybe the A310 is good too because it's a third party aircraft).

Zero One fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Dec 27, 2022

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

Hey...what kind of party is this? there's no booze and only one hooker!

silly sevens
Definitely get the FBW 320, they're doing an A380 too but nobody knows when that might be coming. But the A320 is incredible, it's basically the MSFS answer to the Zibo mod on Xplane (except airbus of course). Detailed systems, constant updates, fantastic EFB. Just really great work by some talented people. Personally I'd recommend the experimental version, it has a pretty functional vnav that I think the release and dev version lack so far. Also it has neat little immersive touches like the sounds of passengers loading, crew announcements, realtime loading, etc. Didn't think I'd like that so much but now I really miss it in planes that don't have that (which is pretty much every other plane)

The Inibuilds A310 is great too, I think it's a port of their payware Xplane version except it's free on MSFS so you should already have it. It's a nice middle ground between the fully automated Airbus stuff and the more manual older Boeing stuff. Do make sure you get the high res texture pack for it though (it's an additional download on the marketplace).

There's a few good mods for the default 747 and Dreamliner too, not quite as extensive as the FBW mod but still really good improvements including Simbrief integration. You can download the 747 mod straight from the FBW installer too, another reason to get the FBW. In fact, just checked and Salty (the mod maker) just released an update to the 747 through the FBW installer.

I didn't even know a 757 was coming out but I know PMDG have the 737 and are also working on the 777 and the 747. They're really good quality but they still haven't added an EFB, which is getting a bit weird to be honest, especially for the price compared to other planes. You use the FMC to change stuff but it's cumbersome and not well laid out. They've been promising it since release and that's been a while. Pretty much every plane has an EFB at this point, some are great and some just okay but at least they have them and it makes setting up the plane with proper weights and stuff so much easier. The FlyByWire EFB is kind of a gold standard as far as I'm concerned, even though the actual tablet model is a bit too small for my liking, only really an issue in VR. That's a modeling thing though and I know that's not their focus yet, but the Simbrief integration, calculators, radios, flight info, weather, loading, etc is all just so user friendly. Also helps on Vatsim because it'll show you radio info and it has Navigraph integration of course. I'm told the Fenix one is really incredible too but I don't have that one.

Basically get the FBW A320 and never look back at the default Neo

Steadiman fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Dec 27, 2022

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
The A32NX mod has its issues. The managed descent mode is still jank and should be treated with suspicion but that's more a product of real-world Airbus's stupid fixation with ballistic VNAV instead of just making it an enhanced V/S mode, so it is unreasonably difficult to implement realistically as a result, but whatever. Also there is no FINAL APP mode so you can only fly ILS approaches and everything else must be flown visually/manually. And you can't go-around in NAV mode either because there is no secondary flightplan nor is the GA procedure even loaded into the primary flight plan. The EFB is the best in the business though, just an absolutely fantastic system all around. Navigraph charts integration, deep deep Simbrief integration that automatically pulls up fuel, payload, OFP, full departure and arrival METARs, and the pushback interface cleverly makes use of the overhead Bing maps system to show you a top-down view of the surrounding area to guide your pushback.

The built-in A310 is outsourced to inibuilds and is their exact same A310 product that costs $60 in other simulators. From what I can tell it is extremely detailed and it simulates all non-emergency procedures flawlessly within the limitations of the real early-1980s aircraft (so don't expect to be able to fly RNP-AR approaches). They even like to brag that their managed descent mode is more reliable than the real aircraft and has a bug-free implementation of what the FCOM says the managed descent mode should do. I wish it had the A32NX EFB though. The inibuilds EFB gets the job done I suppose. It looks pretty, you can walk around the cabin, and unlike the A320 it actually gives a few things to do instead of just dialing in an altitude and sitting there like a lemon while the plane flies itself. It strikes a nice balance between Boeing and modern-Airbus cockpit philosophy.

There's a PMDG 737 as well but I don't have it because I hate the 737 in general. As I understand it the PMDG 737 is modeled to a high standard. And there is also a paid A320 not-neo by a new developer called Fenix which is supposedly very high quality and doesn't have the limitations of the A32NX mod. It seems to have stolen a lot of A32NX's thunder.

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

So I just picked all this up for $300 from someone who's clearing out their home to go live on a sailboat. So far everything tests OK. Anything in particular to worry about or tweak with the Warthog stick and throttle?

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
The warthog is pretty bulletproof so you scored a great setup. The only mod I ever did on mine was to pop it apart and remove the heavy main centering spring. I found that its tendency to center was too strong when trying to do fine input adjustments with the stick near the center point. In fighter Sims, trying to line up a perfect shot while fighting the stick's centering force got annoying.

For civ Sims, it's probably a-ok as is. I ran it with FS2020 for years until I sprang for the Alpha and Bravo setup from Honeycomb a few months ago. Both setups have their pros and cons, but I have been a very happy warthog user for at least a decade.

Edit to add: there are other, lighter springs in the stick that bring it back to center after removing the main spring, so the stick doesn't just flop over. As it turns out, the heavy main spring wasn't what was causing me to miss my targets while dogfighting. I'm just a terrible aerial marksman.

Chuck_D fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Dec 28, 2022

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
I got FS2020 yesterday and just finished the download today. I'm planning on doing a few flights/watching a few videos to get up to speed on things then getting one of the career/economy add-ons. I'd like to stick in Europe/Ireland, but it's very difficult to get the maps/plates/charts/IFR stuff for there without paying for Navigraph, so I'll probably setup in the US because of Skyvector.

Where's a decent place to base out of in the US? I'm fairly new to flight sims so nothing with particularly challenging flying would be ideal. I'll be starting off with a small prop plane and don't plan on using Vatsim or Pilotedge or anything like that.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Try starting out somewhere in the Appalachians and doing a bunch of short hops around that region. Lots of beautiful terrain for VFR flight, but nothing too challenging to fly.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

I like Long Island up the New England coast. Lots of dynamic weather, islands and you can get from empty wooded areas to open ocean to heavy urban areas all within 30 mins or less

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

If you want true easy-mode, KOPF to the Bahamas (MYNN, MYGF, MYBS, others) is a real-world corridor of light GA pax and freight. Never any significant icing or visibility issues, just convective stuff to go around.

Problem is, it’s flat like a pool table and incredibly boring.

:v:

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Mrenda posted:

Where's a decent place to base out of in the US? I'm fairly new to flight sims so nothing with particularly challenging flying would be ideal. I'll be starting off with a small prop plane and don't plan on using Vatsim or Pilotedge or anything like that.

Boulder, Colorado. It's next to mountains, a beautiful place, and you're right on the edge of the plains and can tool up and down the front range to your heart's content. Nice and easy to follow the highway from there to Denver in the distance, and then northeast to Denver International.

Grand Junction on the western slope is also great

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code
I bought new PC components for a new build that I'm doing.
But I also bought FS2020 after I did so and now I'm regretting getting only a 2TB nvme.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

it's fine, i have fs2020 on a 2tb nvme and it's no problem.

....oh you mean that's your only drive? eeeeee

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

xgalaxy posted:

I bought new PC components for a new build that I'm doing.
But I also bought FS2020 after I did so and now I'm regretting getting only a 2TB nvme.

Flight Sim Mega thread: I'm regretting getting only a 2TB nvme.