Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

resident
Dec 22, 2005

WE WERE ALL UP IN THAT SHIT LIKE A MUTHAFUCKA. IT'S CLEANER THAN A BROKE DICK DOG.

Bottom Liner posted:

What bars you running? I keep flirting with flat bars on my beaux

They are custom length 770mm Meriwether cycles double-bend handlebars. It seems like he may have changed his sales model away from custom orders since I bought them in July.

https://meriwethercycles.com/bars-shims/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

First Priest
Feb 12, 2010
Finally found something cool to take a picture in front of.

El Laucha
Oct 9, 2012

So fun

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I love this lovely old bike.

Once again the hardest thing I've ever done but it was easier with a more comfortable seat and ice cream.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Bike I got at the beginning of september is finally mostly together. Fork and cassette showed up last week and I think were worth the wait

Too bad it's winter.

jamal fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Dec 1, 2022

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
You could fix that problem with Ice Spikers or a fatbike, depending on your regions severity of winter.

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS

Slavvy posted:

I love this lovely old bike.

Once again the hardest thing I've ever done but it was easier with a more comfortable seat and ice cream.

Very awesome. What kind of shoes do you wear with those pedals over those distances?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

eeenmachine posted:

Very awesome. What kind of shoes do you wear with those pedals over those distances?

They're just normal shoes, puma somethings with flat soles. The pedals kind of suck in that the moment they get wet they lose all traction but it's hard to find better ones that still look right to me; I try to avoid riding it in the rain anyway cause I feel sorry for it.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I am a corpse

Shortly after this picture was taken I realized I had a front puncture, at least I got to do it well rested in the shade. My $12 bar tape was totally hosed an hour in, will be following people's advice and getting some decent silicone stuff.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Slavvy posted:

I am a corpse

Shortly after this picture was taken I realized I had a front puncture, at least I got to do it well rested in the shade. My $12 bar tape was totally hosed an hour in, will be following people's advice and getting some decent silicone stuff.
:getin:

i live in enchanted lands and absolutely love it

wibble
May 20, 2001
Meep meep

Slavvy posted:

I am a corpse

It looks so warm were you live...

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

wibble posted:

It looks so warm were you live...

It was absolutely roasting today on my third 100k+ ride. It's getting very slightly easier, chamois shorts are an absolute game changer I must say, but I'm still shattered.

Cycling infrastructure makes me hate this city a lot less I must say :sun:

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...
Is that the new one at Mangere?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

You'll need to be more specific

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...
That's good that there's more than one! I don't remember the name, the most recent one I read about on Auckland Transport blog. I don't live in Auckland but like hearing about cycling and pedestrian infrastructure.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The bridge visible from the balcony is the most recent one, I think it got finished last year? I've cycled it and it's nice, intelligent layout and good surfacing.

The tunnel I'm parked in has been there for a few years and runs under the big motorway bridge. I prefer it because it's almost always deserted so I can go fast and make whooping noises.

Idk when the other stuff was built but it felt and looked fairly recent.

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...
Nice

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
I always wait 24 hours after rain before riding local trails, but I guess Thursday rained a ton and this was a relatively flat trail so it was still pretty muddy. In back is my 2011 Santa Cruz Heckler and in front is my friend's new Polygon Siskiu D7 out for its very first ride.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Festive 500 day 1

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Does it even count if you’re not in negative Fahrenheit temps

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

i love how hard you’re going on that bike

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
gotta say pictures of that bike always make me think about getting a frame bag like that. I've got a Topeak rear rack and have the Topeak quick release bag that slides on it, but it's a lot of heft on the back of my bike. wonder if it'd be nicer to have something distributed on the frame like that for when I'm doing proper rides instead of just running errands...

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

i love how hard you’re going on that bike

Thanks dude! I never thought I'd be able to do 100km in one ride and now I've done two consecutively, it's hard to believe how fast and how far I've gotten.

abraham linksys posted:

gotta say pictures of that bike always make me think about getting a frame bag like that. I've got a Topeak rear rack and have the Topeak quick release bag that slides on it, but it's a lot of heft on the back of my bike. wonder if it'd be nicer to have something distributed on the frame like that for when I'm doing proper rides instead of just running errands...

It's incredibly convenient, I'm never going without one again.

Festive 500 day 2 down, only 3 more 100k efforts to go because I'm working three days in-between :shepicide:

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

i got on the trainer for half an hour before hating it and giving up

another successful f500

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Day 3. I am proper hosed but there's 300km banked.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Day 4. 350km in the bag, now I get to rest (work) for 3 days which will add 30km, leaving me with Saturday for the big finish hopefully.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Nice. 280/500 for me, after 3 days. Got some snow coming in a few days though. Going to need to get serious.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

dema posted:

Nice. 280/500 for me, after 3 days. Got some snow coming in a few days though. Going to need to get serious.

You’re wearing all that shiny white poo poo in the winter and you’re not even being serious yet??? Smdh

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
leg warmers but no gloves cmon

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Any chance I can get to go gloveless I’m taking.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Yeah, gloves are the first thing to go for me. Hate them on the road bike.

That said, I still have road rash healing on my left hand. I refuse to learn.

Phthisis
Apr 16, 2007

"Maybe some dolphins have sex for pleasure."
I was told to come post this here, and who am I to disagree.

Just finished building this after picking up a copper soma rush, when they had their sale on black friday, that I couldn't resist. I'm thrilled with how it turned out. I do kinda wish I had a 48t chainring on it instead of the 46 the crank came with, though, and although I actually happen to have one sitting around, it's black and 3/32", so I'm gonna stick with this one for now.

Also I don't know what all you have against gloves. Like yeah, I'd prefer to not wear gloves, but grabbing onto a metal bar that's getting iced by the wind isn't exactly forgiving. I do personally find that it's really important for me to find gloves that don't have any lateral give in the fingers, though. It drives me insane if the bars can slip around in my grip due to my gloves.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Sweet bike, what made you get those particular tires? I'm always interested in people's tyre choices

CH Science
Sep 11, 2019

Phthisis posted:

I was told to come post this here, and who am I to disagree.

Sick build. I love my rush.

Also Xmas was NBD for me

State All-Road 6061 Black Label in the 650 variety

Printed off these cages for it that I think look :krad: on it

Phthisis
Apr 16, 2007

"Maybe some dolphins have sex for pleasure."

Slavvy posted:

Sweet bike, what made you get those particular tires? I'm always interested in people's tyre choices

Pretty much just because they're cheap and I plan on destroying them with skids. I've never used these before but I saw them called out online in a few places as being a good option.

On my commuter fixie with brakes, though, I always use Specialized Roubaix Armadillo Elites. I really like their grip on the shoulders with the smooth center, and generally have had great puncture resistance. Though, I will say I made it like 5 years with only a single flat riding the hosed up streets of Baltimore, and then got two in under a year in Boston. Always slivers of broken glass.

CH Science posted:

Printed off these cages for it that I think look :krad: on it

Do these actually hold up? I would expect them to break apart almost immediately.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Phthisis posted:

Do these actually hold up? I would expect them to break apart almost immediately.

Yeah,. uh, don't even try to put a frozen bottle in one of those. If one manages to wedge it in without breaking, it's going to break over the first bump/pothole.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
gloves are as important as a helmet imo, I like my hand skin right where it is

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Phthisis posted:

Also I don't know what all you have against gloves. Like yeah, I'd prefer to not wear gloves, but grabbing onto a metal bar that's getting iced by the wind isn't exactly forgiving. I do personally find that it's really important for me to find gloves that don't have any lateral give in the fingers, though. It drives me insane if the bars can slip around in my grip due to my gloves.

Put some pogies on those bars and you’ll be able to run a lot deeper into the winter without gloves. I’m still going gloveless in 25F for short rides. The coverage slows the metal getting colder from wind chill. And thinner gloves have a better shot of being tighter.

The Randonneurs were pretty long wearing on my touring bike, but i dunno how well they’d do against skids.

Also, come post in the Boston thread.

CH Science
Sep 11, 2019

Phthisis posted:

Have had a set on my mtb for about a year now that have done fine. Not sure what the other poster is talking about with the frozen bottle thing? Do you unscrew the top and chew on the ice? Or are you counting on it melting over the course of the ride? Might have to give that a try on my next century

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
When it’s hot enough, yes it will melt.