Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

An Actual Princess posted:

u should reread what was quoted and what u wrote

Eh. I see it the joke now but I think the comment stands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Eyyyy

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I still need to finish Golf Story. Definitely enjoyed the humor, and the gameplay was fine besides putting being a trap and it being better to chip in the ball every time.

What are early impressions on Sports Story so far?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I've played 10 mins. I noticed a couple bugs during the opening cut scene which is really weird. And the game seems to need a tad more polish. It's really easy to run up to someone to talk and miss by a few pixels and have to move again. Minor issues but slightly annoying, nonetheless.

But it's more X Story so far so it's good!

Dead Nerve
Mar 27, 2007

woah Sports Story Christmas Miracle!

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

I got that part right. :cool:

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

Crossing my balls wishing for that Goldeneye xmas shadowdrop

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Mr.Acula posted:

Crossing my balls wishing for that Goldeneye xmas shadowdrop

I've put it in your head and I'm sorry. I so want it to happen, but who knows.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

did something happen/leak that suggests goldeneye will come out on switch at all? and soon? or is this all just wishful?

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

abelwingnut posted:

did something happen/leak that suggests goldeneye will come out on switch at all? and soon? or is this all just wishful?

It was announced months ago that it was coming to Switch with online multiplayer as well as being added to the Rare Replay Collection for Xbox One for people who own it. MGM, Microsoft and Nintendo struck a deal which benefits everyone.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Someone refresh my memory on whether the online multiplayer will be “real” multiplayer or just the Switch version where your friends get cursors to point things out to you

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
N64 online lets your friends connect to controller ports 2,3, and 4 over the internet, so games that had local multiplayer like Mario Party can be played online.

As far as I’m aware Goldeneye’s multiplayer is going to be that, I strongly doubt they’re adding a server browser or matchmaking or anything.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

The Maroon Hawk posted:

Someone refresh my memory on whether the online multiplayer will be “real” multiplayer or just the Switch version where your friends get cursors to point things out to you

Which of the multiplayer Switch Online games only let your friends move a cursor? :psyduck:

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I think you can do it in every game using the right stick. It's mostly used as a novelty when playing multiplayer games where you take turns like Super Mario World.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
It’s also what you can do in purely single player games, like if you’re streaming OoT to your friend or something. Just one of the random little things in the system.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

In the event that GoldenEye 64 doesn't magically appear in everyone's Christmas stockings, can I interest y'all in a Steam tribute with a free demo?

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Waffle! posted:

In the event that GoldenEye 64 doesn't magically appear in everyone's Christmas stockings, can I interest y'all in a Steam tribute with a free demo?

oh goodness, yes u can good sir

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Waffle! posted:

Oh man, thank you for bringing this to my attention, this looks pretty neat.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Chronojam posted:

Which of the multiplayer Switch Online games only let your friends move a cursor? :psyduck:

Sorry, I was referring to the Switch Online NES/SNES/N64 Services where “multiplayer” is just your friends using cursors to point things out to you, not all online games on Switch

Snake Maze posted:

N64 online lets your friends connect to controller ports 2,3, and 4 over the internet, so games that had local multiplayer like Mario Party can be played online.

As far as I’m aware Goldeneye’s multiplayer is going to be that, I strongly doubt they’re adding a server browser or matchmaking or anything.

Okay that makes sense. Thank you!

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I've put it in your head and I'm sorry. I so want it to happen, but who knows.

Naw I've been thinking about it forever

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
thinking about the nintendo switch, which i will play again soon

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

Waffle! posted:

That was fun, thanks!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Waffle! posted:

I tried this a while ago and I don't know, it's like the Goldeneye formula doesn't quite translate. :shrug:

abelwingnut posted:

I'm genuinely surprised you missed the announcement from Sept, it was big news (at least for people who care)

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!
So you still can't restart challenges in Sports Story. That was pretty much the only thing that was bringing Golf Story down.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Psycho Society posted:

thinking about the nintendo switch, which i will play again soon

hosed up imo

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Hi I just wanted to post that Wilmonts Warehouse is on sale and it never goes on sale so buy it immediately :tipshat:
https://www.dekudeals.com/items/wilmots-warehouse

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
are you saying you didn't already own wilmots warehouse? you freak

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Psycho Society posted:

are you saying you didn't already own wilmots warehouse? you freak

:nsavince:

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I’ve never heard of Wilmots Warehouse until today.

It’s good? My wife likes puzzles and organization.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Wildtortilla posted:

i watched limmy play it and he really enjoyed himself and you can tell he has good taste because he binned bioshock infinite and maneater after half an hour

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Wildtortilla posted:

It is but it is also stressful. I got
to 100+ objects and I just don’t know what to do with it anymore. There is no fail state but I want me and Wilmot to do well damnit!

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

Wildtortilla posted:

It is the purest form of game for people who are anal about organization, but it's not much of a puzzle game, and it somehow manages to be simultaneously therapeutic and stressful. The entire game is just this: labelled boxes (labels are pictures) come in, put them literally anywhere you like, then customers come in and ask for this item and you have to get it to them. The boxes pile up quickly, as do the orders, and the only bottleneck is whether or not you've arranged the boxes well enough to find the order immediately.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Mega64 posted:

I still need to finish Golf Story. Definitely enjoyed the humor, and the gameplay was fine besides putting being a trap and it being better to chip in the ball every time.

What are early impressions on Sports Story so far?

Hi, I impulse-bought Sports Story because I really loved Golf Story and I assumed they wouldn't screw up a sequel.

Don't bother. This game is bad. I'm ~3 hours in and I haven't played a single round of golf. 100% of the game so far has been running around maps doing fetch quests, many of which are badly explained and don't even involve golf mechanics. There's been one round of volleyball, but it lasts like 30 seconds and happens for no reason, and you're not given a chance to learn the controls (and from what I experienced, it felt really bad to control).

There hasn't been a single tutorial on any aspect of the game yet - including golf. It's like they're expecting you to already have played the previous game, or maybe they're saving the tutorials for when they FINALLY let you play a round of golf. But I'm currently stuck in an area not sure of how to complete the fetch quest task puzzles despite having explored the entire area several times trying to figure out what I need to do next.

I was expecting the writing to at least save it, but (so far) it doesn't feel like it has the goofy spark the previous game has. I mean, they're TRYING, but nothing is hitting for me, and there's no stakes at all in the story to be invested in yet. It feels like someone new is just trying to imitate the first game's humor and not succeeding. The pacing of the cutscenes is weird too - music will cut in and out randomly in a way that ruins any sort of mood they were going for.

The performance is awful - the first country club I'm at clearly has too many assets for the engine to handle, and it chugs so much that it actually affects your golf shots. I haven't had any crashes or softlocks (yet), but I see a lot of glitchy interactions that make it seems likely that will happen at some point.

I'd say wait for a patch before buying, but man, I don't see how a patch could fix the pacing issues. Again, I'm several hours in, and I haven't even played golf yet. I don't like this game.

PS: Also many characters (like half) can't be hit by golf balls, they go right through them when you chuck them at their heads instead of having unique dialogue like in the first game. 0/10, literally unplayable.

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Dec 24, 2022

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
The golf was the worst part of Golf Story lmao. Why were you wanting more?

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Argue posted:

It is the purest form of game for people who are anal about organization, but it's not much of a puzzle game, and it somehow manages to be simultaneously therapeutic and stressful. The entire game is just this: labelled boxes (labels are pictures) come in, put them literally anywhere you like, then customers come in and ask for this item and you have to get it to them. The boxes pile up quickly, as do the orders, and the only bottleneck is whether or not you've arranged the boxes well enough to find the order immediately.

All the boxes go into neat little rows.

All the neat little rows go into groups. Groups are sea side, fruit, consumer electronics, animals, etc.

You never get commanded to do this. You can do something else entirely if you want. All there is is boxes with pictures on them, and it's your job to store and then retrieve them.

Wilmot is good.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

I’ve been looking forward to Sports Story and I hope it’s good but I can’t play it right now because of family stuff. Anyways, my understanding is golf is not supposed to be such an important part of this game which is why it’s called Sports Story instead of Golf Story 2.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

American McGay posted:

The golf was the worst part of Golf Story lmao. Why were you wanting more?

Hey, I liked the golf, even if putting was so awful I always did chip shots from the green. The problem is that this game doesn't even have the other good parts of the first game, so far.

Murdstone posted:

I’ve been looking forward to Sports Story and I hope it’s good but I can’t play it right now because of family stuff. Anyways, my understanding is golf is not supposed to be such an important part of this game which is why it’s called Sports Story instead of Golf Story 2.

From what I've experienced so far, golf is the still the focus, with a little more emphasis and variety on some other sports than the first game. But, again, I can't even tell you that for sure because I'm literally stuck in the storyline until I complete some obscure fetch quest puzzles that I can't figure out.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Hey, I liked the golf, even if putting was so awful I always did chip shots from the green. The problem is that this game doesn't even have the other good parts of the first game, so far.

From what I've experienced so far, golf is the still the focus, with a little more emphasis and variety on some other sports than the first game. But, again, I can't even tell you that for sure because I'm literally stuck in the storyline until I complete some obscure fetch quest puzzles that I can't figure out.
This is making me way too depressed.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I'll echo those comments. I'm probably about 2-3 hours in and it's not as good as the original. That would be excusable if the scope felt bigger but it doesn't. I wouldn't say this game is bad, but it's a mess so far. Early on a beach resort gets attacked by pirates which was amusing. Then they invite you to join the crew and you say sure. But then you don't join and the game goes on. I hope they show up again.

But besides that, for a game with such a long development time, and much more $$$, this seems like a big step back. The first game had fun speech bubbles. This one doesn't do that. It just has normal ones. There still hasn't been an overarching plot established, or if there has, I missed it. The game feels incomplete.

I am enjoying myself. But not as much as I did in the first one. The first was an absolute joy. This one is coasting on the good feelings from the first one.

It is possible things will improve quite a bit. I'm still in the first area which looks like it has 2 golf courses, a tennis area and a soccer area. There is also a train station and a mall. Most of this stuff is still locked off to me. I believe it will get better once it opens up more.

I mean, I hope it does. Please.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

This is disappointing as hell :smith: I loved the first game and was hoping for more of that light-hearted fun. Maybe I'll just replay that, since it's been a few years