Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Whenever I see the ww1 era black and white photos, the Japanese seem to be the only non-Europeans in top hats and coattail tuxedos, completely westernized formal clothing. Now that I think about it, they were very class conscious clothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

There was a book about the role of the Kimono in the occupation of Japan, and how it became associated first among GIs, then the Japanese, with prostitution. I wish I remembered the name of it because I would love to hear what you thought. It was also how "Geishas" gained prominence in the west and fell dramatically in esteem in Japan, thorough prostitutes who advertised themselves as Geishas in what seemed to American eyes the clothes and makeup. Really interesting stuff. It sort of made me think of Thailand and the dramatic impact GI solicitation had in both paying for modernization and economic growth but also the lasting shame that entailed, and how a culture makes sense of it all. GIs and Fräuleins is a similar book about Germany, though of course it did not involve something as major as a form of dress being associated with post war occupation and prostitution.

If I remember, the Korean War overlapped with enough of a rebuilding of the Japanese textile industry that huge quantities of cheap mass produced kimonos were produced as souvenirs for American servicemen based in Japan either supporting the war or transiting to Korea, and that also lowered the standing of the clothing in Japanese culture, while massively popularizing it abroad. Like Thai airbases supporting Vietnam, Korea also brought another wave of prostitution to Japan but supercharged economic recovery.

I would have never made these connections so I wish I knew more about textiles, clothing, prostitution and the like. These are parts of social history I'm in the dark about but how it all came together in Japan from 1945-55 is really fascinating.

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 18:35 on Dec 24, 2022

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Also, if I can tie together Japan, Thailand, the Occupation of Germany and France, Mercenaries and Lyndon Johnson's "More Flags": The Hiring of Korean, Filipino and Thai Soldiers in the Vietnam War is about the American effort to legitimate the Vietnam War through SEATO, which came up recently ITT. It mentions that the Americans had coerced West Germany into agreeing to send troops, US officials had signed off, and then someone pointed out that the large number of Germans in the FFL during the Indochina War had thoroughly poisoned the Vietnamese against Germans. America also expected the rest of NATO to send troops and was frustrated that the existence of SEATO precluded invoking NATO. Which is maybe why natsec people want NATO to include Asia rather than a new alliance. The Americans were willing to undermine the Japanese constitution to send Japanese troops under SEATO but again, someone realized the Japanese troops occupying Vietnam would reflect poorly on America among the population. Finally, their efforts to bribe/coerce Britain and Canada were interesting, as was how they managed to get Australia and New Zealand to send forces.

It's mostly parenthetical, but we've talked about the EU and NATO here a lot, and the idea that America is somehow their friend is a really dangerous attitude to have because America's idea of coalition warfare is figuring out ways to coercing erstwhile allies into providing manpower for domestically and internationally unpopular wars.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Frosted Flake posted:

There was a book about the role of the Kimono in the occupation of Japan, and how it became associated first among GIs, then the Japanese, with prostitution.

Japan had gone to great lengths to criminalize and suppress independent prostitution in the 1920s and 30s. Once the Japanese government knew defeat was imminent and just awaiting formal signature, there was an expectation that they would face mass sexual violence in the homelands, especially given that was what they had often inflicted upon areas the Japanese military occupied. Japan led a very classist recruiting campaign to get women who weren't attached to families or of high status to serve as prostitutes, at the ready before the arrival of US forces. This was subcontracted in a lot of ways, involving organized crime or highly misleading recruiting campaigns to get women to serve as prostitutes. Some of the "comfort facilities" had grand opening for GIs, with 100+ women out front wearing kimonos. The GHQ cooperated with this at first, assisting with MPs and condoms and meidcal checkups / penicillin. But STDs became a big problem, plus some subordinate commanders still wanted prostitution to be off-limits for all troops, regardless of the Japanese government's operations.

So in less than a year, it was made off limits, both STDs and sexual violence climbed, a bunch of women were unemployed and became below board prostitutes. Then the later solution was some mix of illicit prostitution combined with "red line" districts where the Japanese government allowed semi-regulated private prostitution enterprises to take place.

It's been like... 15+ years since I read it, but Embracing Defeat is a pretty interesting look at how the whole of Japanese government and various private Japanese enterprises worked to shape and deal with the circumstances of an unconditional surrender while seeking to protect themselves and various institutions and political/social power after defeat.

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

stephenthinkpad posted:

Whenever I see the ww1 era black and white photos, the Japanese seem to be the only non-Europeans in top hats and coattail tuxedos, completely westernized formal clothing. Now that I think about it, they were very class conscious clothing.

"Class-conscious" is a very good description, IMO, yeah. The sumptuary laws I mentioned were quite strict, in a way that has many visible cultural results even now (say, the firmly-held perception that true luxury is in workmanship rather than materials; the richest class of the old system, merchants, happened to be only one step above untouchables, and the highest non-noble class, soldiers, both tended to be poor and had specific restrictions against too much material luxury,) and it was a short step from there to make the leap to "liberal is also a class and by adopting the top hat and tuxedo as a uniform we are integrating with the global system as equals".

Frosted Flake posted:

There was a book about the role of the Kimono in the occupation of Japan, and how it became associated first among GIs, then the Japanese, with prostitution. I wish I remembered the name of it because I would love to hear what you thought. It was also how "Geishas" gained prominence in the west and fell dramatically in esteem in Japan, thorough prostitutes who advertised themselves as Geishas in what seemed to American eyes the clothes and makeup. Really interesting stuff. It sort of made me think of Thailand and the dramatic impact GI solicitation had in both paying for modernization and economic growth but also the lasting shame that entailed, and how a culture makes sense of it all. GIs and Fräuleins is a similar book about Germany, though of course it did not involve something as major as a form of dress being associated with post war occupation and prostitution.

If I remember, the Korean War overlapped with enough of a rebuilding of the Japanese textile industry that huge quantities of cheap mass produced kimonos were produced as souvenirs for American servicemen based in Japan either supporting the war or transiting to Korea, and that also lowered the standing of the clothing in Japanese culture, while massively popularizing it abroad. Like Thai airbases supporting Vietnam, Korea also brought another wave of prostitution to Japan but supercharged economic recovery.

I would have never made these connections so I wish I knew more about textiles, clothing, prostitution and the like. These are parts of social history I'm in the dark about but how it all came together in Japan from 1945-55 is really fascinating.

I'd probably find that very interesting; I can definitely see how it would track from a material sense, as by the end of the war the surviving kimono would have to have become mostly a tool of the trade to justify the expense and "fine dance and traditional music" isn't a trade many GIs would have patronized.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Mandoric posted:

"fine dance and traditional music" isn't a trade many GIs would have patronized.

Maybe not the fanciest of fine dance and traditional music establishments, but one of the places the Japanese government explicitly recruited from for the initiation of state-sanctioned prostitution facilities was from the performing arts in general.

IIRC, some of the posters had stuff basically saying that volunteering to be a prostitute saved mothers and underage girls from rape, so sign up if you are a young woman and unattached.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Mandoric posted:

“by adopting the top hat and tuxedo as a uniform we are integrating with the global system as equals".

this is why Turks don’t wear the fez anymore. thanks a lot, Kemal.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

mlmp08 posted:

Japan had gone to great lengths to criminalize and suppress independent prostitution in the 1920s and 30s. Once the Japanese government knew defeat was imminent and just awaiting formal signature, there was an expectation that they would face mass sexual violence in the homelands, especially given that was what they had often inflicted upon areas the Japanese military occupied. Japan led a very classist recruiting campaign to get women who weren't attached to families or of high status to serve as prostitutes, at the ready before the arrival of US forces. This was subcontracted in a lot of ways, involving organized crime or highly misleading recruiting campaigns to get women to serve as prostitutes. Some of the "comfort facilities" had grand opening for GIs, with 100+ women out front wearing kimonos. The GHQ cooperated with this at first, assisting with MPs and condoms and meidcal checkups / penicillin. But STDs became a big problem, plus some subordinate commanders still wanted prostitution to be off-limits for all troops, regardless of the Japanese government's operations.

So in less than a year, it was made off limits, both STDs and sexual violence climbed, a bunch of women were unemployed and became below board prostitutes. Then the later solution was some mix of illicit prostitution combined with "red line" districts where the Japanese government allowed semi-regulated private prostitution enterprises to take place.

It's been like... 15+ years since I read it, but Embracing Defeat is a pretty interesting look at how the whole of Japanese government and various private Japanese enterprises worked to shape and deal with the circumstances of an unconditional surrender while seeking to protect themselves and various institutions and political/social power after defeat.

The kmt in Taiwan had army run brothels based on the Japanese model up until like the 1980s. Soldiers were paid partially in scrip redeemable for sex.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
https://twitter.com/RWApodcast/status/1606684667201179648

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

mlmp08 posted:

Maybe not the fanciest of fine dance and traditional music establishments, but one of the places the Japanese government explicitly recruited from for the initiation of state-sanctioned prostitution facilities was from the performing arts in general.

IIRC, some of the posters had stuff basically saying that volunteering to be a prostitute saved mothers and underage girls from rape, so sign up if you are a young woman and unattached.

Oh, definitely. Just pointing out that multilegged path of fashionable yet traditional wear, to expensive and rare/black-market status marker wear for entertainers whose job required being fashionable yet traditional, to wear as an anti-status marker for "entertainers" who were sacrificed to become "exotically fashionable and traditional" little war trophies.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

https://twitter.com/creation247/status/1606315521183342592

it's so funny that the right-wing position is now "exporting Levi's to the whole world was a bad thing, actually"

Those women are all wearing variations on a fairly standard dress. Is that the joke?

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

return to tradition

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

stephenthinkpad posted:

yeah it was a weird thing in the late 1800s when all royals and nobility around the world from Constantinople to Bangkok just wholesale adopted the regalia of European royalty and kept it up without change until today.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/RT_com/status/1606715076697853952?s=20&t=IfNEIxu-NTlA_UkpT_q87g

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

Lostconfused posted:

We'll see, because uh again

https://news.yahoo.com/ukraine-commits-tighten-fiscal-policy-160932728.html

If Ukraine did any clever accounting, and suddenly they're a few billion short, it's going to be a big whoops there.

Also this IMF agreement doesn't even give them the money upfront. So Ukraine has to slash and burn everything it can, and they're already doing that, and then hope that all the western handouts are enough to survive on.

Edit: There's also the question of the NBU letting the Hryvnia float, because I think they might still have a fixed exchange rate? Which is also going to cause problems with their budget plans.

wait, the IMF is demanding Ukraine not take on any debt during a war??

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

OhFunny posted:

https://twitter.com/rybar_en/status/1606668112241299466?s=20&t=CE1ZxNLJgwfmyGbTcb4tug

Grim day for the Ukrainians on the Bakhmut front, according to Ryber. Russian forces are pushing forward across the entire line.

I guess whether it is a grim day for Ukraine or Russia or both would depend on conditions on the ground. I don't think you can put any stock in lines moving around on the map.. I didn't give the Ukrainians much credit for capturing kherson and I'm not going to necessarily give Russia much credit for capturing Bakhmut if that comes to pass.

Maybe Ukraine finally came to their senses and are pulling back out of that trap they've been shoveling more and more soldiers into this last month

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Gripweed posted:

They can't "print" more than 1.3 billion. They can borrow from other countries.

The IMF is telling Ukraine to either start squeezing their people for more cash or live on the handouts the west gives them.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Gripweed posted:

No debt that isnt IMF related

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

Lostconfused posted:

The IMF is telling Ukraine to either start squeezing their people for more cash or live on the handouts the west gives them.

I thought the whole point of the war was for Ukraine to maintain their independence and sovereignty?

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

Gripweed posted:

I thought the whole point of the war was for Ukraine to maintain their independence and sovereignty?

They gave that stuff up in 2014. It's long gone and it's not coming back.

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

OhFunny posted:

https://twitter.com/rybar_en/status/1606668112241299466?s=20&t=CE1ZxNLJgwfmyGbTcb4tug

Grim day for the Ukrainians on the Bakhmut front, according to Ryber. Russian forces are pushing forward across the entire line.

It's fine, they're just coming to play football on Christmas Day.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Gripweed posted:

the US had a word with Ukrainian elites and they sold out the country.

Now the aim is to be a weird EU rump state. That's it. That's the aspiration.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Lostconfused posted:

The issue is that math doesn't work unless the West pretty much doubles what they are spending over even if the Ukrainian government slashes and burns its non-defense budget. So unless they stop spending on the war...or something has to give.

Gripweed posted:

From the Russians, the West can do anything we want to Ukraine or its population, their our property

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
Rump!

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
yeah i didn't use rump state correctly, i just meant it's going to be somehow in a worse state than Latvia, a country of dog people (people who are dogs)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

gradenko_2000 posted:

https://twitter.com/creation247/status/1606315521183342592

it's so funny that the right-wing position is now "exporting Levi's to the whole world was a bad thing, actually"

What absolutely zero class analysis whatsoever does to a motherfucker.:pathetic:

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Don't worry once we have a world wide uniparty overtly controlling everything the slave underclass (anyone not in the top 5%) will be wearing nothing but drab boiler suits and rubber soled safety boots as they toil away in our factories that produce drab boiler suits and rubber soled safety boots.

All records of fancy dresses or levis and their fabrication techniques will be suppressed and only available to the elite 5%.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

New Rosstat figures
https://twitter.com/failure1991/status/1606350136312877056

https://twitter.com/failure1991/status/1606350139966177282

TL;DR not unambiguously Russian victory over sanctions but it's also one where it's clear they have the ability to sustain fighting for a while.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
pretty sure they'll get that 5% down to like 0.1%

they don't like to share

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

The car stuff is probably complicated and needs more analysis.

A lot of the production was supposed to be licensed and operated by european companies? China is now replacing that market entirely. It's probably going to take some time to decide what's happening with those factories, if they'll get nationalized or what?

The other part of that is that not all of the personal just disappeared, there was that story about how some of those people went to work for the arms suppliers instead since that's where the jobs are now. Probably remains to be see how everything shakes out over the long term.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

https://twitter.com/NikaMelkozerova/status/1606658796457164803

https://twitter.com/NikaMelkozerova/status/1606703014378627074

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
it will soon become 2.

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title
Mayor of Bucha, from his dacha, which mysteriously has power: "Unfortunately, the generators were destroyed by the Orcs"

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Военный Осведомитель posted:

(Click thumbnail to open video)
Кустарная украинская РСЗО на базе пикапа, ведущая огонь НАР С-8. Предположительно, Бахмут.

@milinfolive
(from t.me/milinfolive/94767, via tgsa)

ukrainian technical mlrs in action

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

I vaguely remember there being an article about aid being stolen that all the cheems pfp people were very angry about because it was Russian propaganda. Not sure why I'm thinking about that now

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Danann posted:

New Rosstat figures
https://twitter.com/failure1991/status/1606350136312877056

https://twitter.com/failure1991/status/1606350139966177282

TL;DR not unambiguously Russian victory over sanctions but it's also one where it's clear they have the ability to sustain fighting for a while.

I would say it is a victory considering the predictions in March when people were predicting a general collapse of the Russian economy (itt) and in all honesty a .7% decline in production all things considered is fairly minor.

Automotive production is obviously dragging things down a bit but a lot of it was simply that the industry was almost entirely foreign owned by Western aligned states and the Russians had to start from nearly scratch. That said not only is Chinese (and Indian) production is making the gap but the Russian government finally broke down and nationalized much of it simply to get it back into operation. There is a learning curve there. Inflation seems to be trending toward (Russia’s on average inflation is also generally fairly high compared to Western states.)

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Computer production yes, but _what kind_ of computers?

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

wow I’m so glad the stories in April on the billions in grift and corruption were suppressed and retracted because they would ‘hurt the war effort.’ surely zero oversight means this problem has gotten better! now it’s only 25% of foreign aid going missing :)

Cromulent_Chill
Apr 6, 2009

25% grift. Not great, not terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Cromulent_Chill posted:

25% grift. Not great, not terrible.

Are you grading the grifters or the charity effort