Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gambrinus
Mar 1, 2005
I've never read a Tiffany Aching book, for some reason. Going to treat myself after Christmas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Xander77 posted:

You just like the characters enough not to notice the flaws (random new love interest with no characterization, a villain that's menacing on paper whom the plot treats like an utter random nuisance). Thud (for example) is generally regarded as one of the best Discworld books.

It also really helps that almost all of the central characters are relatively new ones. Vimes and Carrot and Vetinari and such have been around forever, and if something's a bit off with them you're probably going to notice it. All the characters in the Aching books are new to the series, aside from Nanny Ogg and Granny Weatherwax and they're both in supporting roles where they don't get a ton of camera time.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I've been thinking about it and Tiffany's love plot isn't really so hamfisted. It develops through a few scenes and encounters as he goes from an acquaintance to a friend to an intimate. It's not Pride and Prejudice, sure but...

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Gambrinus posted:

I've never read a Tiffany Aching book, for some reason. Going to treat myself after Christmas.

The first three (?) are blinders.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

CommonShore posted:

I've been thinking about it and Tiffany's love plot isn't really so hamfisted. It develops through a few scenes and encounters as he goes from an acquaintance to a friend to an intimate. It's not Pride and Prejudice, sure but...

Terry is terrible at writing romance. He seems too cynical to give in to it.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Kesper North posted:

Maybe yeah. Sam and Sybil had an interesting romance though. Perhaps he was just trying to give romantic representation to awkward, cynical people!

Anyway speaking of Sam and Sybil I'm about 100 or so pages into Snuff and the premise is now on the table and the plot just is starting to show itself a little bit. I have to say, I like the premise/maguffin of this one so far - it's like Vimes has been transported from one genre of detective fiction to another: what happens when the hard boiled rough and tumble copper finds himself as the protagonist of a Dorothy Sayers novel? I suspect that he won't remain the country aristocrat amateur sleuth for too long...

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Gambrinus posted:

Look up when it is, and read the short story

"The Sea and Little Fishes."

If you can't get a hard copy, there are alternative ways to access it, and it's really good.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Beachcomber posted:

If you can't get a hard copy, there are alternative ways to access it, and it's really good.

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

The first Pratchett I read was a short story featuring Granny Weatherwax, then I went and started from The Color of Magic.

It's a good short story:

https://www.angelfire.com/weird2/athenia/stories/pterry/sea.htm

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Kesper North posted:

Hark at me using the present tense.

GNU Terry Pratchett

KellHound
Jul 23, 2007

I commend my soul to any god that can find it.

Kesper North posted:

Other folks already mentioned Sam and Sybil, but I rather like Moist and Adora's romance in Going Postal. I think he when he wrote romance it worked best when it was kinda odd.

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Verily, the whip is ghost riding.

Beachcomber posted:

with a little personal horn tooting, i did a reading of this story on youtube if you would prefer someone you dont know reading the story to you with silly voices and the like

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLMPq5PkQzH7M3y0KDPAjSzBE9revzvPxY

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

The bit in (i think?) The Fifth Elephant where both Sam and Sybil both have a tacit agreement not to bring up how much the other snores hits me different now that I'm married.

That and her trying her best to make him socks and him wearing them because she made them. Terry can't do meet/cute but he can do romance like that.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Happy Hogswatch to all!

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

quote:

Wherever people are obtuse and absurd ... and wherever they have, by even the most generous standards, the attention span of a small chicken in a hurricane and the investigative ability of a one-legged cockroach ... and wherever people are inanely credulous, thematically attached to the certainties of the nursery and, in general, have as much grasp of the realities of the physical universe as an oyster has of mountaineering ... yes, Twyla: there is a Hogfather!

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

citybeatnik posted:

The bit in (i think?) The Fifth Elephant where both Sam and Sybil both have a tacit agreement not to bring up how much the other snores hits me different now that I'm married.

That and her trying her best to make him socks and him wearing them because she made them. Terry can't do meet/cute but he can do romance like that.

He’d be shite at Valentine’s Day cards but great at wedding speeches.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Ok I finished Snuff last night. It took the turn out of the Dorothy Sayers mode about 5 pages after I posted about it, and Vimes started the shakedown again, so I'll describe the premise as the rough-and-tumble gumshoe visiting the setting usually inhabited by the sly English aristocratic detective. It's pretty fun in that respect.

Aside from the fish-out-of-water or character-out-of-subgenre parody, it's a pretty standard Vimes story, where the self-assessed unrefined brute of a copper is once again baffled by the fact that he's somehow the most civilized guy in the room. The goblins are a perfectly fine addition to the setting, and the plot works well enough, though the "dyk that other races are people too" is something Terry had worked through already with ... uh every non-human sapient species in Discworld. Some of the fantasy solutions to plot problems (see: Wee Mad Arthur's teleportation) are a bit much (I'm not a fan of the practice of introducing an insurmountable plot problem and immediately solving it with a new, fantastic solution) but it's Discworld and not The Three Body Problem that we're discussing here, so I'll shrug at that. The whole plot resolves itself, again, along the lines of the standard Vimes-Vetinari formula of the world being kept safe in a tenuous balance of power by the enlightenment of the fortunately good tyrant, in a compromise that leaves every stakeholder unsatisfied but allowing the system as a whole able to move forward.

The villain, and Vimes's relationship to him, felt to me like it was revisiting Night Watch, which again is another point where the book is only weak in its relation to the other books, not a flaw in its own right. Likewise with Vimes's relationship to the younger watchmen. We've simply been there before.

The freshest part is probably Vimes's family life and his relationship with Young Sam, which imo is a solid development of previous books and not just a retracing.

I don't think it's a "bad" book and any weaknesses that it has probably owe more to it being the 40th Discworld book than anything else, and the characters and setting having been stretched too thin: much of what we've seen, we've seen before, and the new characters necessarily displace the things that we like about the setting and subseries, e.g. we don't get much of Cheery or Detritus, but Willikins is a delight. It would probably be more enjoyable for someone who hadn't read Night Watch and Thud, if not for the fact that many of the fantasy techs don't get explicated in Snuff because they had been more thoroughly explored elsewhere. I somehow doubt that it'll be on my list of rereads, though - the witches books, especially Lords and Ladies, the early watch books, Reaper Man and Hogfather are my favourites (do you see the thematic pattern with my recent posts adoring the Tiffany Aching books?).

Starting Raising Steam today some time.

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

All of the problems that begin in Snuff come terribly to a head in Raising Steam. "Stretched too thin" is the words to describe it - Snuff was the first Discworld book I just plain didn't like, and I have since softened up to it, but Terry's preachiness dial really gets maxed out in it. And I don't mean the obvious stuff like "slavery is bad", it's like the "why don't you fine young ladies GET A JOB" stuff.

Incredibly grateful that The Shepherd's Crown exists, because if Raising Steam was the final Discworld book it would be a poor sendoff for such an amazing series.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Youremother posted:

All of the problems that begin in Snuff come terribly to a head in Raising Steam. "Stretched too thin" is the words to describe it - Snuff was the first Discworld book I just plain didn't like, and I have since softened up to it, but Terry's preachiness dial really gets maxed out in it. And I don't mean the obvious stuff like "slavery is bad", it's like the "why don't you fine young ladies GET A JOB" stuff.

I read that more in terms of them emancipating themselves from Uncle Vanya's gloomy trousers than telling the avocado toast eaters to get a job

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I'm about 40 pages into RS now and... Too many irons in the fire so far.

Offler
Mar 27, 2010
Resurrecting favorite quotes just because I didn't see this one posted in the last 50 or so pages I just read through.

pterry posted:

Biers was where the undead drank. And when Igor the barman was asked for a Bloody Mary, he didn't mix a metaphor.

Also, the best band name in Soul Music is "Dwarves With Altitude"

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Offler posted:

Resurrecting favorite quotes just because I didn't see this one posted in the last 50 or so pages I just read through.

Also, the best band name in Soul Music is "Dwarves With Altitude"

Wrong, it's "We're Certainly Dwarves"

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Offler
Mar 27, 2010
DWA for life!

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

This took me like twenty years to get the joke

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

The_Doctor posted:

Happy Hogswatch to all!

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

Quote-Unquote posted:

Same. Just a bit longer than me realizing he's Casan-unda instead of Casan-ova because he's a dwarf.

Adeptus
May 1, 2009

tribbledirigible posted:

Same. Just a bit longer than me realizing he's Casan-unda instead of Casan-ova because he's a dwarf.

Oh my god.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I've been trying to figure out the joke in his name and I was way.... Over thinking it. (Casa? House? House nunda? Nova? New? Nunda?)

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

Okay explain it for me

Oh goddamit I just got it

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Adeptus posted:

Oh my god.

Best thread on the forums, just for reactions like this.

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

Let's not forget about what "millenium hand and shrimp" comes from

Gambrinus
Mar 1, 2005

Quote-Unquote posted:

A lot of Soul Music was like that - I had to check the L-space annotations when I got the internet.

I got my copy of Soul Music signed in Waterstone's in Cardiff when the paperback came out. I think it's an Oxfam now, or a Pieminister.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Just particle men, doing what particle men can

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

Adeptus posted:

Oh my god.

:same:

Both the Casanunda and We're certainly Dwarves.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

The reference I feel proud of myself for getting is the Selachii and Venturi families who are rivals in Ankh-Morpork high society.

Selachii is the clade for most sharks, and the Venturi Effect is used for some jet pumps.

I have no idea where I picked up the knowledge for that one, it sounded familiar when I was reading Night Watch and about a year later things clicked but they're not topics I know well.

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Jan 4, 2023

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

Bruceski posted:

The reference I feel proud of myself for getting is the Selachii and Venturi families who are rivals in Ankh-Morpork high society.

Selachii is the clade for most sharks, and the Venturi Effect is used for some jet pumps.

I have no idea where I picked up the knowledge for that one, it sounded familiar when I was reading Night Watch and about a year later things clicked but they're not topics I know well.

:vince:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Quite a bit farther into Raising Steam now and I've put my finger on how it's different from the rest - it has huge sections of tell rather than show, and at times it's structured more like a narrative history than like a novel.

Elsewhere, too it's guilty of pointless-seeming side plots/events which are just poorly integrated.

I've just gotten through the part where Moist and Harry King arrange the expulsion of the bandits from Quirm. This is one of the worst-integrated scenes in any Discworld book as the problem of the bandits is introduced only one or two chapters before and then resolved without any difficulty and without any clear implications, mostly by side characters who we haven't met before and probably won't meet again.

Now I'm sure that all of this has something to do with the Quirmian goblins and Moist is up to something in that way, but it was just so blandly integrated into the unfolding story that it seems pointless.

That isn't to say that I'm not finding things to like so far, but it's just uneven and worse in sum than nearly any other book - it reminds me of The Colour of Magic, honestly, the way it bounces between scenes and then just leaves them and their characters in the dust behind.

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

Raising Steam really has the burden of being The Final Discworld Book! so it's crammed packed with as much stuff as possible to remind you that our heroes are all really cool. It's the start of a new Discworld era, it's a cross-continent tour, it's got action, it's got commentary on religious fundamentalism, it wants to be a Vimes book and a Moist book and a novel about a new protagonist! Too much to deal with at one time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Youremother posted:

Raising Steam really has the burden of being The Final Discworld Book! so it's crammed packed with as much stuff as possible to remind you that our heroes are all really cool. It's the start of a new Discworld era, it's a cross-continent tour, it's got action, it's got commentary on religious fundamentalism, it wants to be a Vimes book and a Moist book and a novel about a new protagonist! Too much to deal with at one time.

was it known when it was written/published that it was carrying that burden?