Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

JollyBoyJohn posted:

this site rules and makes me wonder why i've never played terraria

edit: also wtf Slime Rancher is the 21st top rated game on Steam??? i remember watching some of that on Giant Bomb and my friend saying"this game looks so basic, do you think you'd want to play it" and me being all "nah" lol

It's extremely charming and basically perfect at what it does. I played it for 32 hours and moved on because there wasn't enough to keep me engaged, but it also had nothing to push me away either. Just an all round pleasant experience I don't regret or begrudge, absolutely nothing really to hang a negative review on. And then there's people who don't need much more than charming to stay engaged and they seemingly love it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
I interviewed a NK escapee who came to my school and made a thread. Then life got in the way and the translation had to be postponed. I did finish it in the end, but nobody is going to pay 10 bux to update my.avatar

victrix posted:

I didn't get any hits on requests for Risk of Rain 2-likes, I'll try a different tack

Are there any 'build a broken build' games with an regular chance of failure out there? (ie, not vampire survivor likes, where you just sort of mindlessly grind/win)

I found a few 2d RoR1 style clones (which are pretty cool, like Seals of the Bygone, but not finished yet), but nothing that's scratching the itch the same

Brotato is much better than VS in this regard. It's extremely hard and you have to aim for broken builds to beat the difficulty curve. It's my favourite of the survivors type games.

Very different to ROR, but I find winning in Brotato much more satisfying than VS. I've had a few wins where I could actually feel my heart racing!

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

Me and my friends have been playing the Dark and Darker playtest a ton the last week. Already have 32 hours in it. I rarely buy games day 1 anymore, but it has me totally sold. I'm kind of worried that the wonderful simplicity of it will fade away as they add a lot more up to release because right now, I'd say they captured the extraction shooter formula as well as anyone can.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Oxxidation posted:

finally started Cult of the Lamb, and while it's definitely shallow it still digs its hooks in deep if you've got NUMBER GO UP compulsions like me

I just found the combat portions of COTL to be way less satisfying than the combat in Hades which I think is what they were going for. I ran out of steam pretty quickly because I just wanted to stay and hang out with my cultists instead of having to go grind more materials in dungeons I didn't find particularly fun to fight through.

Lister posted:

Me and my friends have been playing the Dark and Darker playtest a ton the last week. Already have 32 hours in it. I rarely buy games day 1 anymore, but it has me totally sold. I'm kind of worried that the wonderful simplicity of it will fade away as they add a lot more up to release because right now, I'd say they captured the extraction shooter formula as well as anyone can.

Oh drat I had seen streamers playing this and thought it looked alright but didn't know the playtest was instant approval on the store page. Might have to check this out.

Edit: oookay seems neat but uh i'm going to wait for a bit before playing this again.

explosivo fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Dec 24, 2022

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I'm a big fan of coop games that are fun with randoms. Unfortunately there aren't that many of them.

Deep Rock Galactic has easily the best community. I had a lot of fun with Warframe and various Monster Hunter games. Those are very fun with randoms too.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Jack Trades posted:

I'm a big fan of coop games that are fun with randoms. Unfortunately there aren't that many of them.

Deep Rock Galactic has easily the best community. I had a lot of fun with Warframe and various Monster Hunter games. Those are very fun with randoms too.

Biggest problem I have with any games with randoms is time to slurs is usually less than a minute.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
dont think ive ever seen a slur in warframe tbh
pretty good game

doesn't hurt that it's mostly easy as hell so people dont freak out over bad coop partners 'screwing them over'

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
I'd put Deep Rock Galactic at the top of the pile for atmosphere with randoms. The theme and mechanics tie up so well together that people naturally happily actively work together, marking stuff, deploying platforms/zip lines, digging shortcuts, and randomly cheer at each other. It's quite amazing to behold. Warframe is pretty good, but more in a silent coop way than anything. It's more like you get 3 AI helpers which happen to be controlled by other players, but rarely impact much apart from shortening a bit the mission time if they're on the high-end. It works pretty well and is pretty much slur/abuse free, but isn't as actively and cheerfully coop as DRG.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

RandomBlue posted:

Biggest problem I have with any games with randoms is time to slurs is usually less than a minute.

I don't think I've seen anyone use a slur in any of the games I mentioned. Probably mostly because nobody uses the chat in them.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

yeah the worst you usually notice in DRG is maybe one in a dozen lobbies saying daft poo poo like "PROMOTED DWARVES ONLY" for a haz3 (medium difficulty). never seen a slur, and in fact 99% of chat is either "r?" for checking if the rest of the team's ready for an event, or bitching about Dread Arengee Command loving us over with horrifying vertical shafts

i love that game (but female dwarves when :colbert: [probably never :(])

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

Sometimes I ask a teammate to do something and then type "rock and stone" when they do it so they don't think I'm bossy

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
never heard of deep rock galatic before but "space dwarf mining game" is basically a combination of my 4 favourite words

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Ciaphas posted:

Haven't they always been female? :psydwarf:

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Hwurmp posted:

Haven't they always been female? :psydwarf:

I always assume half of all dwarves I see are female tbh

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

i suppose they could be like discworld dwarves, yeah :v:

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

some fine wimmenz

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

explosivo posted:

Oh drat I had seen streamers playing this and thought it looked alright but didn't know the playtest was instant approval on the store page. Might have to check this out.

Edit: oookay seems neat but uh i'm going to wait for a bit before playing this again.

It does take time to get over the learning curve. Like most games, once you understand what it's doing, it's not that hard. Right now the monster AI is simple and predictable and all spawns are in exactly the same places. The walking speed will feel very slow at first, but that's part of the intention since each map isn't very big and it's only open for a max of 12 minutes.

Ciaphas posted:

If Mordhau can eventually put in women, it can happen for them.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Lister posted:

If Mordhau can eventually put in women, it can happen for them.
sorry, Mordhau has female characters??? :pwn:

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Ciaphas posted:

sorry, Mordhau has female characters??? :pwn:

Question is did they add different skin colors other than a few shades of white?

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

JollyBoyJohn posted:

never heard of deep rock galatic before but "space dwarf mining game" is basically a combination of my 4 favourite words

Just keep in mind that it's mostly a shooter, and a relatively small portion of your time is spent actually swinging your pickaxe. (I've seen people try to get into it and end up disappointed that they aren't tunneling and mining constantly and instead have to keep fighting these alien bugs.)

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

Someone recommended Haz 1 as a way to mostly mine unmolested by bugs, and it's really good for that. I put on a podcast, smoke a bowl, and mine away in solo mode for awhile. At haz1 you can finish a lot of missions without ever shooting. Your robot buddy handles everything.

Your meta resource acquisition is wayyyyy slower playing like this but I don't feel any pressure to maximize that right now.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
I wanna see some black widow spider level sexual dimorphism in dwarves. The ladies are like 10 feet tall and just devour dudes for fun.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
Conquest of Elysium has you covered there. Dwarves are hiveminds and all mines have one Dwarf Queen or Princess that constantly spawns worker dwarves that get promoted to better dwarves with gold and gems.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

External Organs posted:

I wanna see some black widow spider level sexual dimorphism in dwarves. The ladies are like 10 feet tall and just devour dudes for fun.

There's a 95% chance this exact fanart exists

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

External Organs posted:

they should reproduce asexually like warhammer orkz
just spread some spores on a nutrient rich substrate and they grow into a full grown genderless beared dorf in 72 hours

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

HopperUK posted:

Yeah. Level up your health bar more than you think, take your time. And if it isn't anathema to you, read everything, and do listen through dialogue. NPCs will say actually important stuff and the stories in the game are pretty good.

congrats this is the first post that has ever made me remotely interested in a fromsoft game

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Where's my Malazan game with ice wizard orcs and undead cavemen and sword raptors?

mrking
May 27, 2006

There's No Limit To What We Can't Accomplish

big cummers ONLY posted:

Someone recommended Haz 1 as a way to mostly mine unmolested by bugs, and it's really good for that. I put on a podcast, smoke a bowl, and mine away in solo mode for awhile. At haz1 you can finish a lot of missions without ever shooting. Your robot buddy handles everything.

Your meta resource acquisition is wayyyyy slower playing like this but I don't feel any pressure to maximize that right now.

This is how I play Deep Rock Galactic. I’m very comfortable with the shooting so I crank it to haz 3 and leave my missions open to be joined and let people join in progress.

I’ve lost missions on haz 4 because I get killed between them joining and loading in, and then they die immediately on loading in, so I mostly only do haz4 solo or with friends.

The difficulty is very scalable, from occasional enemies on haz1 to very challenging for a team of 4 coordinated average skill group on haz5, and the mod system works great if you need even more granularity

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Mescal posted:

I don't want a perfect broken build, but can anybody tell me what feats to take and what's required and what's dumpable in character creation in underrail?

I'm late but assault rifles with heavy armor can take anything in the game. Just needs a lot of ammo

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

Jimbot posted:

Question is did they add different skin colors other than a few shades of white?

That's in there now too. The female characters are basically just new voice lines, hair styles, and faces anyway. I think the body models are exactly the same.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Mordhau is finally letting me decapitate women. It's what I always wanted.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Jack Trades posted:

Mordhau is finally letting me decapitate women. It's what I always wanted.

:yikes:

on the subject of steam games what's the consensus on Return to Monkey Island? it's a part of the Devolver Digital sale: https://store.steampowered.com/sale/devolver

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Across the Obelisk or Gordian Quest? I really enjoyed Monster Train but not so much Slay the Spire. I can appreciate StS is an amazingly designed game but the moment to moment gameplay didn't captivate me as much. MT has positioning and a lot of different faction combos/variety so it was much more my speed.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
So can I actually lay pipe on Doja Cat or is that DLC a waste of money? I ain't buying House Party otherwise.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Any real chill basebuilder games on sale? I don't mind complicated building/factory stuff just don't want to have to fight off enemies or anything while I do it. Ideally I just want to smoke up and then build a comfy place!

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

field balm posted:

Any real chill basebuilder games on sale? I don't mind complicated building/factory stuff just don't want to have to fight off enemies or anything while I do it. Ideally I just want to smoke up and then build a comfy place!

Clanfolk is a historical Rimworld sorta thing without any fighting in it as far as I know.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

field balm posted:

Dorfromantik is chill, on sale, and has a creative mode.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

field balm posted:

Dwarf Fortress and Factorio let you disable raids, Autonauts doesn't have any to begin with but you're liable to hit a wall with it because of the repetition of programming every new bot manually.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

didn't Satisfactory just add a pacifism mode?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sailor Dave
Sep 19, 2013

MonkeyforaHead posted:

Dwarf Fortress and Factorio let you disable raids, Autonauts doesn't have any to begin with but you're liable to hit a wall with it because of the repetition of programming every new bot manually.

Autonauts just released an update that fixes that, I think. I believe it lets you program groups of robots automatically, or something like that.