Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

thrawn527 posted:

Based on comments in the Kranks episode, I’m not sure that’s true. At least one of them (I forget which one) hates the idea of edgy, violent Christmas movies. I think it was Cabin?

Yeah Cabin poisoned the well because I am 100% sure it would be right up Andrews lane. I went in thinking it was going to be a 30 Rock parody movie and ended up with a well shot action genre flick with a solid script and some great action oriented gore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Cabin did end up walking it all the way back to movies where Santa is a badass/killer. Steve got him to go from all Christmas horror is bad, to no Slayer Santa.

The Gillman
Jul 8, 2004
Beaten with a sack of sweet Valencia oranges
Grimey Drawer
Noted Contrarian Chris Cabin

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Dude didn't even know Friends took place in New York, what good is his opinion?

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
New Lifetime ep is not actually Lifetime but it’s hella fun.

This and the Kranks ep is top notch stuff. The comedy flows so much better from these guys when they really hate the stuff.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Judging by their Letterboxd activity, one of the worst of 2022 is going to be Moonfall

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

Lmao Andrew’s review of it was pretty much my reaction and I can’t wait to see them rip into it Fingers crossed.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Jurassic World 3
Moonfall - now confirmed
Ambulance
Gray Man

Would be my 3 worst of 2022

Could swap in Death on the Nile, Scream 5, Texas Chainsaw Massacre or Bullet Train too.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Aww man, Ambulance for worst?! That was one of my favorite movies of the year! Haha

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.

dorium posted:

Jurassic World 3
Moonfall - now confirmed
Ambulance
Gray Man

Would be my 3 worst of 2022

Could swap in Death on the Nile, Scream 5, Texas Chainsaw Massacre or Bullet Train too.

While I liked it, I could see Halloween Ends on their list. Cabin hated it and brought it up in a recent episode.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

clown shoes posted:

While I liked it, I could see Halloween Ends on their list. Cabin hated it and brought it up in a recent episode.

I didn't see it but from the reviews I read it sounded like they did a "Roy", like in that one Friday the 13th movie, only this time it was a Cory. Maybe some good callback opportunities there

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Not to spoil anything but it’s definitely not a Roy situation, but a more “realistic” portrayal of basically having to help grampie to the murder store. People would’ve hated it either way honestly. Either it would’ve confirmed people’s worst fears that Michael had magic demon energy like in all those real crappy Halloween sequels or they go this route which I thought worked remarkably well and it was the best the would’ve gotten just considering it was originally a duology instead of a trilogy that the studio thrust upon them when 2018 did so well.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Yeah, it's definitely not a Roy situation. Most of the Halloween horror fandom hated Ends. They wanted a movie more like Halloween Kills, which they also didn't like and is how we ended up with Halloween Ends—the first Halloween since Halloween 3: Season of the Witch to do something new and interesting with the IP. Ends is far from perfect, it's messy, and kind of like two movies mashed together, but the people who say it's worse than the worst Halloween movies (i.e. Resurrection) just want interesting kills and don't really want an actual movie with characters and story.

Basically creatives should never listen to what fans want because that's how you get poo poo like Rise of Skywalker.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
I’m guessing the WLM of January is gonna be The Batman; pretty sure I saw on Andrew’s Letterboxd that he rewatched it and he loved it.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
I liked Halloween Ends, and it had the most hilarious fall in the first 5 minutes.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

enigmahfc posted:

I liked Halloween Ends, and it had the most hilarious fall in the first 5 minutes.

Agreed, and that's what hooked me into the movie

mweber
Dec 24, 2003

BigglesSWE posted:

I’m guessing the WLM of January is gonna be The Batman; pretty sure I saw on Andrew’s Letterboxd that he rewatched it and he loved it.

The first 2/3 of The Batman is fun, but then it turns into The Movie That Couldn’t Stop Ending, and man is that bad.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I would watch a 9 hour cut of The Batman if it existed.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

enigmahfc posted:

That entire opening scene was so good. It was the thing that sold me on the movie and on the idea that maybe the Halloween franchise should really be an anthology series. Michael Myers is tired.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

clown shoes posted:

That entire opening scene was so good. It was the thing that sold me on the movie and on the idea that maybe the Halloween franchise should really be an anthology series. Michael Myers is tired.

Yeah, the problem with Halloween Ends isn't the lack of Michael Myers. If anything, they should have cut out the ending with Myers and Laurie, as it felt really tacked on. But I get it. Curtis only agreed to do these last movies if they made it super duper extra clear that Michael Myers was definitely dead this time. But the rest of the movie was more interesting.

But Halloween fans bitched about Myers not being in most of the movie, so most people know of the movie as "the bad one". God dammit, I saw H20. I saw Resurrection. Don't come at me with that.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Nah what happens to Myers at the end is laugh out loud funny. Put that franchise in the garbage disposal

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

weekly font posted:

Nah what happens to Myers at the end is laugh out loud funny. Put that franchise in the garbage disposal

A fitting comment.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

weekly font posted:

I just want to know what kind of huge group chat this whole town has that they showed up for 'funeral' after like 5 minutes had passed.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

enigmahfc posted:

I just want to know what kind of huge group chat this whole town has that they showed up for 'funeral' after like 5 minutes had passed.

Ben Tramer: drat that head go pop.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
The Batman is the first superhero movie in a while with an ounce of artistic intent in its shots and colour schemes or indeed anything. The Ridder stuff is gonna age like milk (and probably already has) but those shots of Batman wading though the water with the flare are six million times better than any Marvel pap.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Every scene where the score is just Ave Maria and the Riddler's r/the_donald crew are on screen are about as subtle as a ball peen hammer to the testicles but I'm willing to say without reservation that the rest of the movie owns bones

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

Sorry, I'm quite busy at the moment.
Started listening to the AD on the Elf on the Shelf Christmas special while shoveling snow this morning. I wasn't expecting it to get so filthy so fast, but I should have known.

Also, I have bad news for the guys about a gritty Elf on the Shelf movie. Someone already did it several years ago. It's loving terrible.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

The Deleter posted:

The Batman is the first superhero movie in a while with an ounce of artistic intent in its shots and colour schemes or indeed anything. The Ridder stuff is gonna age like milk (and probably already has) but those shots of Batman wading though the water with the flare are six million times better than any Marvel pap.

Spiderverse?

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

Spider-verse rules and I shouldn't have excluded it because I was thinking live action too much

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

So seriously, has anyone actually heard of that Dominick the Donkey song they mentioned on AD? I'm the same age as the gang but I guess my generic white ancestry is 0% Italian because I'd NEVER heard of this before, and them acting like it was something everyone knew by heart was so weird. Maybe you'd also just hear it more in the Northeast I guess.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Never even heard of that. I completely forgot about it until just now it went one ear out the other when they brought it up.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Cael posted:

So seriously, has anyone actually heard of that Dominick the Donkey song they mentioned on AD? I'm the same age as the gang but I guess my generic white ancestry is 0% Italian because I'd NEVER heard of this before, and them acting like it was something everyone knew by heart was so weird. Maybe you'd also just hear it more in the Northeast I guess.

I have heard it, but I imagine growing up in NY you might hear it more often.

mweber
Dec 24, 2003

Cael posted:

I know it from my 100% Irish brother-in-law from Ohio, so it definitely got around.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Cael posted:

I did but only like 4 years ago via a friend of mine who is also not Italian in the slightest and grew up in Montana and Missouri

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Oh I definitely know it. And I’ve lived in Florida since I was 8, and my wife, who was born in Florida, knew it her whole life. It’s not just a NY thing, but you definitely have to go further down the Christmas music list than most people do.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

The Vosgian Beast posted:

I have heard it, but I imagine growing up in NY you might hear it more often.

Its a radio station staple in NY and I fuckin HATE IT

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Worst of 2022 starts with Moonfall next week :getin:

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
And a good moon wobble to all of you

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

This Home Alone 2 episode is loving gold. I mean, I love any Chelsea episode, but it’s really good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

Also this week’s Gleep Glossary is an all-timer, equal parts annoying and brilliant. For anyone not at whatever tier that is: besides the general comments people and made last month about the soundboard at some point they make a joke about albums leaving 15 minutes of silence and having a secret track. I had actually looked at the runtime beforehand and thought “weird I thought they said somewhere this was a short entry”. And sure enough, we get a big block of silence after the sign off and then Eric comes back with like 45 seconds just by himself and talking about the cantina theme. It’s such a delight.