Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Well I hear the thunder roll, I feel the cold winds blowing...
But you won't find me there, 'cause I won't go back again...
While you're on smoky roads, I'll be out in the sun...
Where the trees still grow, where they count by one...
Given the misinformation and ever raging culture war surrounding us, I think even if we had a perfect pure democracy and some sort of mythological just and wise leader, we'd still be hosed. The order we've established could only be threatened by a radical change in both our leadership and our populace, and that's just the US.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Gyges posted:

There is a tendency among the DNC/DLC leadership types to see "First [position] of color/ethnicity/gender/orientation" as a paramount good in and of itself. It's more important to have a black Navajo trans lesbian who is terrible on the issues than someone good on the issues but doesn't break barriers. It's like they see terrible, disingenuous GOP arguments about diversity and say "I agree completely, but think it's great".

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

I shamefully admit to voting for Lori Lightfoot on the grounds of "black lesbian? Surely she'll be a progressive champion of the disenfranchised and oppressed"

:negative:

It's taking advantage of ignorance of class and class solidarity. They want people who will support the interests of the upper class but know they can't get their base to agree to that without using people who have outward signifiers that would indicate solidarity with another class.

When it comes down to it when we are talking about the disenfranchised and oppressed we're talking about the poor. You might be poor because other factors led to your oppression but the mechanism for all that in America is to make you poor and make sure you stay that way. If they don't have true solidarity with the poor all those other things are just labels they're getting a pass for and you're not allowed to have one of those passes.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Ghost Leviathan posted:

There's a strong tendency in the Democratic party which is exactly this, pretty much. Been said that a problem with liberals is basically completely buying into Republican propaganda, just drawing slightly different conclusions. The common element is ignoring material conditions and treating the aesthetic as literally all that matters.

It also plays into Republican bigotry too.

Like, oh no, a minority community is being represented. Big loving whoop? Under normal circumstances that is part of what a party should do for it's constituents. Obviously in this case it's more NY's notoriously corrupt machine politics that is the problem but the so called fake diversity thing that conservatives go on about is purposefully Republican lies meant to slander the Democratic party for doing it's loving job in representing the population of the country unlike the Republican party's malfeasance.

When the Republicans complain it comes off more as them crying and whining that they aren't getting their votes even though their party is made up of unhinged murderous racists that pal around with nazis overt or implicit, dipshit boomers that think Fox News is a documentary on America's "corruption", predatory capitalists looking to gently caress over everyone else for their own gain, and christian fascists that'd death camp anyone they don't like in any given week if they were permitted by the rest of the country's population to do so.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Dec 24, 2022

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Republican hypocrisy is nothing more than a very effective tactic against the same liberal rubes. No more, no less. They know what they're doing and it's working.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Gumball Gumption posted:

It's taking advantage of ignorance of class and class solidarity. They want people who will support the interests of the upper class but know they can't get their base to agree to that without using people who have outward signifiers that would indicate solidarity with another class.

When it comes down to it when we are talking about the disenfranchised and oppressed we're talking about the poor. You might be poor because other factors led to your oppression but the mechanism for all that in America is to make you poor and make sure you stay that way. If they don't have true solidarity with the poor all those other things are just labels they're getting a pass for and you're not allowed to have one of those passes.

There's plenty of people who face oppression and disenfranchisement even though they're not poor.

To some extent, it's a milestone many American civil rights movements have faced. Some members of the group end up high on the class ladder only to eventually realize that even after becoming upper-class well-educated wealthy businessmen, they still face discrimination and exclusion. From then on, the movement can count on the support of those upper-class members who seek to lift the discrimination. But at the same time, because those people are generally fine with inequity as a whole and only want to lift the barriers facing them personally, they tend to be difficult supporters who use their outsized influence to throw much of the group under the bus, typically adopting a form of respectability politics which marginalizes the poor and instead focuses on assimilationist types who basically fit into the "respectable" expectations of upper-class white society.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Main Paineframe posted:

There's plenty of people who face oppression and disenfranchisement even though they're not poor.

To some extent, it's a milestone many American civil rights movements have faced. Some members of the group end up high on the class ladder only to eventually realize that even after becoming upper-class well-educated wealthy businessmen, they still face discrimination and exclusion. From then on, the movement can count on the support of those upper-class members who seek to lift the discrimination. But at the same time, because those people are generally fine with inequity as a whole and only want to lift the barriers facing them personally, they tend to be difficult supporters who use their outsized influence to throw much of the group under the bus, typically adopting a form of respectability politics which marginalizes the poor and instead focuses on assimilationist types who basically fit into the "respectable" expectations of upper-class white society.

Oh absolutely. I'm very specific in that it's not that the poor are the only people who face discrimination and oppression in America but that if you are poor in America it is because you face those things. When we are talking about discrimination and oppression on a policy level we're talking about the poor because poverty of the natural outcome of policy that puts you on the outside of society and criminalizes your existence.

TaintedBalance
Dec 21, 2006

hope, n: desire accompanied by expectation of or belief in fulfilment

Killer robot posted:

Why are we assuming the Absolute Unit is metric when it was coined by people who weigh themselves in stones?

It was coined pre-Brexit so would have fallen under SI rules. They're still signers of the convention, but who knows if they'll give a poo poo in their EU free adventures.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

so here is my question. whats the internal process in his mind for this. like its fine for me to be a heavy handed theocrat but i can steal and probably worse all i want. i know the answer is "dickhead" but that poo poo bothers me. i mean it goes back to my facination with theocrats in general i guess.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Dapper_Swindler posted:

so here is my question. whats the internal process in his mind for this. like its fine for me to be a heavy handed theocrat but i can steal and probably worse all i want. i know the answer is "dickhead" but that poo poo bothers me. i mean it goes back to my facination with theocrats in general i guess.

“What I want is what God wants”, pretty much. I don’t think most of the people who do that sort of thing really see God as something more than someone they can put their words into his mouth; they certainly wouldn’t know what to do if God came down from Heaven and told them to do something they didn’t want to do.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

MadDogMike posted:

“What I want is what God wants”, pretty much. I don’t think most of the people who do that sort of thing really see God as something more than someone they can put their words into his mouth; they certainly wouldn’t know what to do if God came down from Heaven and told them to do something they didn’t want to do.

I'm of the opinion that it's some form of sociopathy or narcissism, possibly malignant in nature. Like, it's a common pattern with these assholes on the Republican end. Especially when they publicly flame out and have extremely online social habits.

You can see a pattern from them acting like bit rate supervillains with their whole "the godless/communist/word I and those like me have codified as bad in a demographic's consciousness libs will suffer at my hands, along with all their puny little minorities too!" act until they begin to reap what they sow from normal empathic people becoming aware of how loving awful they are. Which eventually leads to the pressure to lash out building up as they get push back that hinders their perceived greatness or ability to keep advancing at the expense of others.

When the metaphorical valve blows it prompts a reaction along the lines of "I ran my mouth and now people loathe the idea of my continued existence. Clearly this is a conspiracy against me and I am innocent and cleared of all charges of the things I have in fact actually done." to come out of their collective posting or social habits. Which itself inevitably leads to some sort of spectacular meltdown when the pressure to not be such a poo poo stain doesn't stop there. Which in turn tends to either lead to them dropping out of the political or news sphere entirely to focus on other get rich/affirmation quick schemes or alternatively a meltdown that disowns them from their job only for the Fox News/right wing grifting machine to see an opportunity to keep their voice active (again, another self interested group that promotes bigotry and division for their own gain amongst the Republicans.) and then offering them a comfort shield/financial fallback to keep loving up the discourse for the gain of wealthier malignant personalities.

Before Trump and the tea party came along (With some attendant exceptions. The leadership of the federalist society pushing fringe wackjobs to destabilize the government comes to mind, along with the VP of it which is the head of a christian hate group known as the Heritage Foundation or something like that.) these assholes had to be quieter about their openly harmful intentions. But Trump threw open the floodgates to letting bastards run openly without fear of persecution from the base by showing them a playbook they could use. Which combined with the Republicans collaborating with poisonous organizations like Fox News until Fox News gained the influence to set the agenda over the party's will ended up being a one-two knockout punch for any decency left in the Republican party in the present day.

And to be clear, the Republicans were infested with guys like this even prior to all of that happening. It was always an inevitability that someone was going to gently caress up the party and turn it openly malicious to minorities. If it wasn't the evangelicals doing their best christianized nazi germany impression it was going to be the white supremacists and their actual nazi germany impression manipulating things in the background to try and take over the country. And even if it wasn't them then it would be the vulture capitalists pushing extremism for a quick buck. And if it wasn't them then it would be all the same opportunistic personality types mentioned above infiltrating the party political positions to push things increasingly towards violent extremism for their own gain through demonizing the weak ala Ted Cruz, MGT, Desantis, etc, etc.

It's why i'm a firm believer that the only way to get the Republican party to course correct is to force them to do it by whatever means since you can't make someone with a pathological lack of care for other human beings give a gently caress about doing the right thing if it means they see a way to hurt others to get ahead or achieve their own self gratification.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Dec 24, 2022

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Archonex posted:

I'm of the opinion that it's some form of sociopathy or narcissism, possibly malignant in nature. Like, it's a common pattern with these assholes on the Republican end. Especially when they publicly flame out and have extremely online social habits.

You can see a pattern from them acting like bit rate supervillains with their whole "the godless libs will suffer at my hands, along with all their puny little minorities too!" act until they begin to reap what they sow from normal empathic people becoming aware of how loving awful they are. Which eventually leads to the pressure to lash out building up as they get push back that slanders their preceived greatness or ability to keep advancing at the expense of others.

When the metaphorical valve blows it prompts a reaction along the lines of "I ran my mouth and now people loathe the idea of my continued existence. Clearly this is a conspiracy against me and I am innocent and cleared of all charges of the things I have in fact actually done." to come out of their collective posting or social habits. Which itself inevitably leads to some sort of spectacular meltdown when the pressure to not be such a poo poo stain doesn't stop there. Which in turn tends to either lead to them dropping out of the political or news sphere entirely to focus on other get rich/affirmation quick schemes or alternatively a meltdown that disowns them from their job only for the Fox News/right wing grifting machine to see an opportunity to keep their voice active (again, another self interested group that promotes bigotry and division for their own gain amongst the Republicans.) and then offering them a comfort shield/financial fallback to keep loving up the discourse for the gain of wealthier malignant personalities.

Before Trump and the tea party came along (With some attendant exceptions. The leadership of the federalist society pushing fringe wackjobs to destabilize the government comes to mind, along with the VP of it which is the head of a christian hate group known as the Heritage Foundation or something like that.) these assholes had to be quieter about their openly harmful intentions. But Trump threw open the floodgates to letting bastards run openly without fear of persecution from the base by showing them a playbook they could use. Which combined with the Republicans collaborating with poisonous organizations like Fox News until Fox News gained the influence to set the agenda over the party's will ended up being a one-two knockout punch for any decency left in the Republican party in the present day.

And to be clear, the Republicans were infested with guys like this even prior to all of that happening. It's why i'm a firm believer that the only way to get the Republican party to course correct is to force them to do it by whatever means since you can't make someone with a pathological lack of care for other human beings give a gently caress about doing the right thing if it means they see a way to hurt others to get ahead or achieve their own self gratification.

yeah, these guys have been in the GOP for ages, though more openly so with nixon and reagan. now you have at least 2 generations of chuds fully raised on fox bullshit. so you dont have the smart ghouls who kept poo poo quiet and just pushed "quiet" poo poo because that doesnt win primaries.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

MadDogMike posted:

Yeah they do, that's why they wear a cross

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Dapper_Swindler posted:

He'd burned pretty much all his bridges with the local and state GOP machines. He fabricated false sexual assault accusations against a Democrat who was running against his buddy, and when the scheme unraveled, he tried to fabricate evidence to pin all the blame on local and state GOP figures he didn't like. When that unraveled too (one of his co-conspirators recorded the meetings where they discussed who to frame and how to fake the evidence), he had basically no backers left in the Kansas GOP.

Given all that, it's perhaps not shocking that he became extremely interested in culture war issues around that time. With most of the Kansas Republican Party absolutely furious at him, his only hope for holding onto the seat was to desperately pander to the base. Although he'd previously shown little interest in social issues, he was suddenly very interested in introducing bills about religion in schools, trans sports in schools, and so on.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Main Paineframe posted:

He'd burned pretty much all his bridges with the local and state GOP machines. He fabricated false sexual assault accusations against a Democrat who was running against his buddy, and when the scheme unraveled, he tried to fabricate evidence to pin all the blame on local and state GOP figures he didn't like. When that unraveled too (one of his co-conspirators recorded the meetings where they discussed who to frame and how to fake the evidence), he had basically no backers left in the Kansas GOP.

Given all that, it's perhaps not shocking that he became extremely interested in culture war issues around that time. With most of the Kansas Republican Party absolutely furious at him, his only hope for holding onto the seat was to desperately pander to the base. Although he'd previously shown little interest in social issues, he was suddenly very interested in introducing bills about religion in schools, trans sports in schools, and so on.

So sounds like I was right to wonder if it was sociopathy then. Seems like he just has no remorse for his actions and intends to keep going until he's stopped, either by someone with more power than him or his own actions sabotaging himself past the point of no return. :shrug:

Also did he actually frame a bunch of people for crimes? Because if so the dude should be under some sort of investigation.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Dec 24, 2022

Dull Fork
Mar 22, 2009

Archonex posted:

(A lot of words that lead to this conclusion)

It's why i'm a firm believer that the only way to get the Republican party to course correct is to force them to do it by whatever means since you can't make someone with a pathological lack of care for other human beings give a gently caress about doing the right thing if it means they see a way to hurt others to get ahead or achieve their own self gratification.

You are absolutely correct. Then when you say this in front of centrists, their hands get a-wringing. Don't you know you sound just like them?! :rolleyes:

What is the best way to make the centrists, or the politically disengaged actually realize what must be done? Can it be done through discussion alone? Or do people need to actually experience the suffering they chose to ignore when it wasn't happening to them?

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Dull Fork posted:

You are absolutely correct. Then when you say this in front of centrists, their hands get a-wringing. Don't you know you sound just like them?! :rolleyes:

What is the best way to make the centrists, or the politically disengaged actually realize what must be done? Can it be done through discussion alone? Or do people need to actually experience the suffering they chose to ignore when it wasn't happening to them?

This is a charged question that is liable to set off people on this forum and perhaps even start a string of nothing matters doomerism from certain types, but fine, i'll bite:

Point out that there is a reason why the adage of "to fight fascists you must be willing to become at least a little temporarily fascist" came about after WW2 as a bitter reminder of what's necessary to stop objectively evil people by dint of their hatred of others or dismissal of their right to equal rights from having power. And then point out that to exert the power of the state to stop bad actors that want to tear it apart and replace it with something harmful is not corrupt or anti-democratic, but instead an aspect of their own particular brand of centrism (if not a required aspect of healthy long term democracies themselves) itself as it perpetuates the current gains those comfortable people possess.

Also, understand that devout centrists need to be undermined at all angles and viable opportunities. You cannot reason with them, and in a professional context you probably shouldn't even try lest you play your hand too soon. Centrism at it's core is a longing for the status quo and the gains therein. Devout centrists are not going to support you no matter what since their interests lie in the most self-profitable course of action. Since decisive action against a minoritarian political party that represents their opposition is likely to risk their position they will never be on the side of anyone wanting to do anything. Note that this tends to include their own party establishment (who tend to have their own interests suffer when people like that become roadblocks, hence why there's no love lost for people like Sinema and Manchin), so to those of you who are very left leaning don't confuse yourself into thinking you're entirely alone in wanting to make them actually do their loving jobs.

People like that are essentially empty suits to occupy what would normally otherwise be useful positions in the government that are for sale to the highest bidder, at the worst. In terms of actual effects of their political performance they're essentially an outwardly more composed and nicer version of the self interested sociopath I mentioned up above in my previous two posts. People like that have to be voted out and have extensive propaganda campaigns put against them in the interim of failed campaigns to put pressure on their removal for someone more sensible. This is especially important since the fervent desire to maintain a status quo that they occupy a favorable position in also makes them about the least devout people to an ideological cause or any sort of actionable sanctions on damaging anti-democracy types of any sort.

Incidentally, this also means that ironically the word "devout centrist" is somewhat of an oxymoron outside of people who are so ignorant of political history that they don't understand the position they occupy. It's also why such people tend to consistently act as spoilers to action, such as Sinema or Manchin, who are infamous for being in the pockets of extremely right wing affiliated donors. They're not there for you, anyone who is a democratic voter, or even a member of the democratic political establishment. It's also why the Sinema's, Manchin's, and Lieberman's of the world suddenly decide to go independent or Republican after their short political career fizzles out.

Generally speaking, if the carrot of keeping their position doesn't work for them, the stick of "You will lose your next election as a result of the consequences of being a roadblock to progress." will. Failing that, sustained attention on their behavior in the public's eye stands a high probability of tanking their continuing relevance and continued career in the political sphere in the short term to long term.

Because there is no concerted and sustained effort on a national level to punish that brand of politician with the certainty of losing their comfortable position if they don't cooperate they keep showing up by replacing other politicians so they can sabotage things. Think of it how the way all the bigoted christian loonies, genocidal supremacists, and such came out after Trump won. A similar effect is in play with devout centrists and their behavior.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Dec 24, 2022

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Archonex posted:

Point out that there is a reason why the adage of "to fight fascists you must be willing to become at least a little temporarily fascist" came about after WW2 as a bitter reminder of what's necessary to stop objectively evil people by dint of their hatred of others or dismissal of their right to equal rights from having power. And then point out that to exert the power of the state to stop bad actors that want to tear it apart and replace it with something harmful is not corrupt or anti-democratic, but instead an aspect of their own particular brand of centrism (if not a required aspect of healthy long term democracies themselves) itself as it perpetuates the current gains those comfortable people possess.
Is the bolded part from somewhere famous? I hadn't heard it before, googling variations on it doesn't pull anything up, aside from some Nietzsche passages arguing against that logic. I feel like it doesn't really jibe with the rest of your argument either (unless we're just using fascist as 'unfriendly to your enemies') so I'm particularly wondering why you choose to lead with it.

This is not to take away from the thrust of your post, which I agree with. Which is why that particular line (that I do not agree with) stuck out so much.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Edge & Christian posted:

Is the bolded part from somewhere famous? I hadn't heard it before, googling variations on it doesn't pull anything up, aside from some Nietzsche passages arguing against that logic. I feel like it doesn't really jibe with the rest of your argument either (unless we're just using fascist as 'unfriendly to your enemies') so I'm particularly wondering why you choose to lead with it.

This is not to take away from the thrust of your post, which I agree with. Which is why that particular line (that I do not agree with) stuck out so much.

The source escapes me off hand, sorry. There's a couple variations i've heard from various places over the years. Some of which were probably borderline crypto-fascists trying to justify seizing control while others from those who were genuinely examining how fascist take-overs fail when faced with active resistance from the government suppressing the fascists with actions that are at odds with the commonly held notions of a democratic first world country.

As an example: If someone for instance claimed/organized to want to purge the jews or whatever that should get them thrown in jail and they have charges pressed against them by default. Which is effective for breaking up an initial groundswell of fascist support since fascists on the ground tend to be fairly cowardly when they don't have the necessary control of the government to get away with acts of terrorism or hate crimes. IE: The idea being weaponizing the whole "everyone else should sacrifice for the cause but me!" organizational problem that comes with fundamentally selfish and hateful ideologies that want to gently caress over and murder other people for their own gain.

I think it originally comes from one of the people writing about how fascists work and how to sabotage their efforts directly in the aftermath of WW2. Though this is a dim recollection overall as I first heard it over a decade ago. :shrug:

Archonex fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Dec 24, 2022

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
It sounds like a badly misremembered Paradox of Tolerance.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Yeah, the paradox of tolerance is a good example of the overall thing.

However the actual quote i'm thinking of came from an author of some old political tracts examining how fascism works and how it can possibly be foiled early on through direct governmental intervention since a large part of recruiting and advancing the cause of fascism is the sabotage of discourse.

And if the government isn't willing to tolerate (or fall into the trap of being maneuvered into the enabling of) the discourse of "I'm just asking the jewish/trans/whichever minority is on the docket to demonize this week question. Why are you angry with me?" then the fascists have the problem of a very angry state apparatus directed at busting up their efforts. Which tends to demoralize and depress turnout for fascist and supremacist rallies and such, to say the least.

If it helps, I think they were around to see nazi germany in action. Though I think they might have been looking at the issue of fascism after the war ended? Pretty sure it was also talking about how certain centrists in the country were also complicit in the rise of fascism through complacency and in certain cases self interest. I don't believe it was Karl Popper himself however.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Dec 24, 2022

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
Looks like the knives are coming out for Trump, or at least bob costa seems to believe so. On a personal anecdote note, I've heard republicans I talk to say that they want Trump prosecuted if only to keep him from spoiling 2024, which is definitely a 180.

https://twitter.com/costareports/status/1605675913806348288?s=20&t=Nqftve3dUDPs4WKuASd9Vw
https://twitter.com/costareports/status/1605676470399033369?s=20&t=Nqftve3dUDPs4WKuASd9Vw

https://twitter.com/costareports/status/1606682780162838532?s=20&t=Nqftve3dUDPs4WKuASd9Vw

https://twitter.com/costareports/status/1605709073441136640?s=20&t=Nqftve3dUDPs4WKuASd9Vw

A big rat fleeing
https://nypost.com/2022/12/23/jared-kushner-out-on-trump-after-kanye-west-nick-fuentes-dinner/

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Who's Brick Man? I don't remember that robot master from any Mega Man game.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Main Paineframe posted:

yeah thats sociopathy. he doesn't believe in poo poo outside himself/general bigotries and probably some other bullshit.

i'll wait until an indictment happens on deeper into 2023 but i wouldnt be fully shocked if people are done with him. his big revival was poo poo and january 6th and the committee and other incidents have poisoned him with moderates and normies. That being said, kushner and sununu always hated him or were willing to stab him in the back.

personally i don't think DeSantis is a great a choice as the GOP hopes he is. he is way to0 openly socially conservative and he comes off as angry bully with no charisma but not the "fun" 80s dickhead kind trump was. he reminds me of scott walker but maga. I also think trump can gently caress over desantis in either the primary or the general but who knows. i thought it was gonna be clinton vs bush.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Dec 25, 2022

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Even after all these years, I don't remember hearing about The Brick Man before. All of these... what could I call them, "Sad Trump all alone" stories just make me hate him more.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Extending the paradox of tolerance to "maybe be a fascist" seems like a real stretch, but I get the general gist, just questioning both the quote and its logic.

Republicans posted:

Who's Brick Man? I don't remember that robot master from any Mega Man game.
The article linked gives a rundown:

quote:

Brick Man is a man who wears a suit made of fabric with — you guessed it — a brick pattern. The bricks symbolize the wall on the U.S.-Mexico border. He wandered around the ballroom offering interviews to reporters.

The man has like zero footprint on the internet besides "being a guy who went to every 2020 Trump Rally in a brick suit" and also I guess is hanging out at Mar-a-Lago now. He was also at the Capitol on January 6th.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Nega-Matthew Lesko

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I’ll believe the GOP is abandoning Trump only when it happens

I do think it’s more likely now than it was a year ago, but I think it’s still more likely than not Trump wins the primary

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

I love that buying a lovely brick suit is apparently all it takes to get access to every Trump event and the ability to touch a former president multiple times.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

FlamingLiberal posted:

I do think it’s more likely now than it was a year ago, but I think it’s still more likely than not Trump wins the primary

yeah. i am more curious about when the GOP takes the house and starts being stupid and crazy. either way, i do think the GOP is internally fractured more then people act and trump and chaos house will make that worse. The GOP got their asses kicked in a favorable midterm with low turn out and are doubling down with the poo poo people hated, 24 is gonna be nuts.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
It's the NFT trading card thing that really did it for me. He's wounded, he's damaged, but he absolutely could still come out swinging and beat everyone out in a competitive primary again even if they all united against him. But it's clear that no one left around him is able to organize or manage such a campaign.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

He'll be back. Kush is the sort of spineless weasel who always comes crawling back should opportunity beckon.

FlamingLiberal posted:

While the anti-Trump sentiments are a little stronger than the usual tepid non-denunciations, I agree that we've danced this dance a lot over the last several years. No matter how increasingly isolated Trump is claimed to be, I'll believe they've ditched him when I actually see it.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

FlamingLiberal posted:

Also, they aren't really going to abandon Trumpism, which isn't fundamentally different from Republican Orthodoxy, they just want a friendlier face for it. The Sununu clan is a great example of it, he spouts the same racist poo poo and dumb policy stuff.

edit: while I am here expect more talks about the ~national debt~

quote:

WASHINGTON — For decades, worries about the exploding national debt—now a staggering $31.3 trillion — were tempered by low interest rates that made it relatively cheap to keep borrowing.

But with interest rates rising rapidly, a long-feared debt crisis could be arriving soon.

Like a consumer grappling with a massive credit card balance, the federal government is paying more just for the interest on the national debt. Government projections show those interest costs tripling from $399 billion this year to $1.19 trillion in 2032. Borrowing most likely will have to increase just to pay for the higher interest expenses.

And on it goes, a vicious cycle that promises bruising fights over debt and spending in Washington next year, partisan conflict which could shake financial markets and an economy already at risk of falling into recession.

“If you’re borrowing more and more every year on autopilot to fund programs that we promised, which [you] lack the revenue to pay for, you then have a compounding problem where interest on the debt compounds and just adds to the burden,” said Michael A. Peterson, chief executive of the Peter G. Peterson Foundation, which promotes deficit reduction and has been sounding the alarm on the debt for years.

The federal government paid $103 billion in interest on the debt in the first two months of this fiscal year, an 87 percent increase over what was paid in October and November of 2021, the Treasury Department reported this month. The main reason: the aggressive interest rate hikes this year by the Federal Reserve to fight decades-high inflation.

Those hikes translate into higher interest rates for the bonds the government sells to raise the money to pay for spending that exceeds taxes and other revenue. A year ago, the interest rate on benchmark 10-year Treasury bills was 1.5 percent. It’s more than doubled to about 3.7 percent now, and the Fed has forecast more rate hikes are coming next year.

The nonpartisan Congressional Budget Office projected this spring the government would spend a total of $8.1 trillionon interest alone over the next decade — and that figure probably already is outdated because of a faster-than-anticipated pace of interest rate hikes.

Interest costs as a percentage of the nation’s total economic output will double to 3.3 percent by 2032, and more than double again to 7.2 percent in the two decades after that, the CBO said this summer. That would be the highest since the government began tracking the data in 1940 and top the total spending on Social Security anticipated in 2052.

The rising interest payments could siphon money from government programs that invest in expanding the economy, such as scientific research and rebuilding infrastructure. That in turn could slow economic growth, which would lead to more deficit spending.

“It’s the termites under the front porch,” G. William Hoagland, the senior vice president at the centrist Bipartisan Policy Center think tank, said of the growing national debt. “They’re working away at it, you don’t see them, but one day you step out on that porch and you go through it.”

Right now, the $31.3 trillion debt is nearly as large as the nation’s total economic output, the highest ratio since the mid 1940s after the huge borrowing needed to fight World War II. By 2052, CBO projects the ratio will be dangerously high at close to double annual economic output, driven in large part by higher spending on Social Security and Medicare as the population ages.

Republicans will take control of the House on Jan. 3 and are already pointing to the rising debt and interest costs as a call to arms on reducing government spending, even though much of the increase in the deficit came when they held power in Washington.

“If we’re going to make a decision on funding government, when we have more than a $31 trillion debt, when we spent more than $100 billion in this new fiscal year just on interest alone, [when] we have runaway inflation we haven’t seen in 40 years based on the mismanagement and spending of the Democrats, why would you feel comfortable moving forward that way?,” House Republican leader Kevin McCarthy told reporters this month in opposing the $1.7 trillion government funding package rushed through Congress in recent days.

Republicans have said they plan to seek spending cuts and possibly changes to Social Security and Medicare when the US approaches the statutory limit on borrowing at some point next year and Congress will have to increase it. That’s led to charges of hypocrisy given their willingness to raise the limit when the debt was rising during the Trump administration.

It took about 200 years for the nation to accumulate $1 trillion in debt, but the figure started rising more quickly with growing budget deficits in the 1980s. This century, the debt rose $4.9 trillion during President George W. Bush’s eight years in office, $9.3 trillion during Obama’s two terms and $7.9 trillion in Trump’s four years, according to Treasury data. So far, since President Biden took office in 2021, the debt has increased $3.5 trillion.

Biden and Democrats have warned that it’s irresponsible to put the federal government at risk of defaulting on its obligations by failing to raise the debt limit, which would prevent the Treasury Department from borrowing to pay some of the nation’s bills and bondholders.

“Nothing, nothing, nothing will create more chaos and do more damage to the American economy than playing around with whether we pay our national bills,” Biden said at a pre-midterm election campaign rally on Nov. 1.

He has said he won’t negotiate over the debt limit and won’t consider cutting Social Security or Medicare. Democrats made the Republican talk of potential cuts to Social Security a midterms rallying cry, a move Republicans labeled as “scare tactics” that cost them more wins in the elections.

The debt limit has become a partisan flashpoint in recent years, and the stakes are even higher now with rising interest costs. Republican opposition to raising the debt limit in 2011 during the Obama administration sparked a showdown that caused the first ever downgrade in the US government’s credit rating. The limit was raised at the last minute, but the dispute rattled financial markets and the lower credit rating led to $1.3 billion in additional federal borrowing costs that year alone.

The debt is now double what it was back then and interest rates are higher and still rising, so the stakes are much greater if another confrontation spurs additional credit rating downgrades, said Dana M. Peterson, chief economist at the Conference Board, a private research group.

“Borrowing costs are already elevated and then you add on a debt ceiling debacle,” she said. “Will markets be forgiving or will they punish the US?”

Daniel Bergstresser, an associate finance professor at the Brandeis International Business School, said a debt limit fight would be a self-inflicted wound at a time when US borrowing costs still remain relatively low.

“The US benefits tremendously from the confidence the rest of the world has in our political system,” he said. Because of that, Bergstresser added, Treasury bonds are a benchmark in the global financial system and “that is not something that you really want to monkey around with.”

The growing costs of paying for the national debt takes money away from other government programs and creates a vulnerability if there’s another crisis like the pandemic that requires huge amounts of unanticipated spending, Michael Peterson said.

“COVID cost us about $6 trillion in emergency measures that were supported by many Americans and got bipartisan support in Congress,” he said. “I would hate to be in a position down the road where we face another unexpected crisis ... and we’re not in the right position to be able to borrow emergency resources.”

Peterson said Democrats and Republicans have to be willing to give on lowering spending and raising taxes to solve the problem. He said there’s a “huge menu of options” for reducing the nation’s long-term debt, but it’s important to make major structural reforms and act quickly to address the problem before it gets worse.

“From a policy perspective, the solutions are there,” Peterson said. “And its eminently possible to do so and to do so in a way that’s reasonable ... and sensitive to the most vulnerable.”

Hoagland is a veteran of many Capitol Hill funding battles after serving as a top Republican budget staffer from 1982 to 2007. He said there’s plenty of blame for both parties for the skyrocketing debt. Democrats increase spending on social programs when they’re in power and Republicans boost defense and cut taxes when they’ve been in charge.

Over the years, major bipartisan efforts to address the growing debt, including one that followed the 2011 debt limit fight, ultimately failed because both parties wanted to continue funding their priorities and neither wanted to make politically difficult decisions.

But Hoagland said the fast-rising interest costs on the national debt could change the dynamic.

“I’d like to think the reckoning is coming, the chickens are coming home to roost, so to speak. I’ve thought that over many years in my career and it never really translated,” Hoagland said. “But there’s a different sense here right now.”

Mooseontheloose fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Dec 25, 2022

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Morrow posted:

It's the NFT trading card thing that really did it for me. He's wounded, he's damaged, but he absolutely could still come out swinging and beat everyone out in a competitive primary again even if they all united against him. But it's clear that no one left around him is able to organize or manage such a campaign.

The Trump Card thing was so hilariously pathetic, especially at how quick even the Trump fandom's hype turned into "Meh" and "Is this it!?"

He's very obviously a wounded beast but he's not dead and I can 100% see him mortally wounding DeSantis in the Primary. Weather or not Trump comes out on top after DeSantis is dethroned is another thing. Either way though a lot of the stuff I'm hearing against Trump from the right feels very much like manufacturing consent. They're trying to make him weak by making everyone think he's weak.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Who sold him on the idea of nft cards? I can’t believe he knows what an nft is or that he could sit through an explanation.

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

Eveytime I hear "national debt" I just hear people complaining about "hand-outs to the dirty poors" and nothing that would actually help increase revenue - like properly funding the IRS.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

FlamingLiberal posted:

Trumpists obviously aren't, but what matters is what the rest of the republican party does. Imo the widespread perception that Desantis (or really that anyone but Trump) is the way forward + Trump really having the stink of losers and nazis and a mountain of investigations and other baggage is the driving force of it now.

I also give some credence to Costa's reporting because he remains exceptionally well connected to congressional republican politics.

Anyways the big question for conservatives isn't whether Trump is dead politically by 2024, it's how to keep the Trumpists voting R and how to keep the rest of conservatives and republicans from voting D or not voting. Ironically the politics Trump stood for don't seem significantly diminished, but it doesn't seem like anyone who isn't neck deep in Kool-Aid thinks trump is ever winning another election

Alkydere posted:

The Trump Card thing was so hilariously pathetic, especially at how quick even the Trump fandom's hype turned into "Meh" and "Is this it!?"

He's very obviously a wounded beast but he's not dead and I can 100% see him mortally wounding DeSantis in the Primary. Weather or not Trump comes out on top after DeSantis is dethroned is another thing. Either way though a lot of the stuff I'm hearing against Trump from the right feels very much like manufacturing consent. They're trying to make him weak by making everyone think he's weak.

I think that there is some of this kind of signaling going on, but I think he's a lot closer to dead than people think. He remains almost completely deplatformed and every piece that comes out from within the Trump world suggests that there is no organization or vision or strategy to what Trump is doing currently. Dude doesn't even have a schedule, he just gets up and golfs and wanders around Mar a Lago

Frankly if I was a republican I'd be desperately trying to get Trump barred from holding or running for office by congress because that's one of the few liferafts they potentially have from this situation.

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Dec 25, 2022

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Trumpists obviously aren't, but what matters is what the rest of the republican party does. Imo the widespread perception that Desantis (or really that anyone but Trump) is the way forward + Trump really having the stink of losers and nazis and a mountain of investigations and other baggage is the driving force of it now.

I also give some credence to Costa's reporting because he remains exceptionally well connected to congressional republican politics.

Anyways the big question for conservatives isn't whether Trump is dead politically by 2024, it's how to keep the Trumpists voting R and how to keep the rest of conservatives and republicans from voting D or not voting. Ironically the politics Trump stood for don't seem significantly diminished, but it doesn't seem like anyone who isn't neck deep in Kool-Aid thinks trump is ever winning another election

I think that there is some of this kind of signaling going on, but I think he's a lot closer to dead than people think. He remains almost completely deplatformed and every piece that comes out from within the Trump world suggests that there is no organization or vision or strategy to what Trump is doing currently. Dude doesn't even have a schedule, he just gets up and golfs and wanders around Mar a Lago

Frankly if I was a republican I'd be desperately trying to get Trump barred from holding or running for office by congress because that's one of the few liferafts they potentially have from this situation.

As a side thing to this, I know people say that Desantis is too much of a vicious thug to succeed in a national election but I do wonder if they aren't making the same mistake as they made with Trump. The hard R voters don't give a flying gently caress if a person is personable. The ones that are ride or die for Trump have a lot of crossover with the ones that will pull the lever for anyone that says they'll hurt whichever group they hate at the time. And you know that Desantis is going to go on the whole "We have to genocide trans people by denying them healthcare protect our children from this insidious trans menace." bullshit once he gets a platform.

Like, the cruelty is the point with these bottom feeders. Being a piece of a poo poo isn't a turn off, it's a mark in the candidates favor. It's why Trump had literally no reaction (Aside from cheering on a few occasions) from the crowd whenever he bragged during the campaign trail about not paying his taxes. A lot of these people seem to want someone who will break the rules, since breaking the rules is part of what is necessary to hurt trans people/black people/asylum seekers/whatever demonized boogieman they wish didn't exist.

Hell, if you're talking to the evangelicals that vote hard R then it often becomes apparent that they think it's righteous and just to hurt them, and actively find new ways to justify their hatred by spinning up lies about minority groups. And of course the party follows along since it just cares about selfish opportunism, even if it gets blood on their hands. Just look at the trans demonization in red states as the latest example of it.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Dec 25, 2022

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
I'm sure Trump will be demanding to his long form birth certificate any day now. :rolleyes:

Key point.
"If Santos was born in Brazil he had to become naturalized at some point in order to be eligible to serve in Congress. The records shouldn’t be obscure. There’s either a birth certificate or a record of naturalization. No need for a truth movement or conspiracy theories. It’s very simple to clarify one way or another."

https://twitter.com/joshtpm/status/1606714151111479296?t=M9w828hur4qxCPKorFKj_g&s=19

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Charlz Guybon posted:

I'm sure Trump will be demanding to his long form birth certificate any day now. :rolleyes:

Key point.
"If Santos was born in Brazil he had to become naturalized at some point in order to be eligible to serve in Congress. The records shouldn’t be obscure. There’s either a birth certificate or a record of naturalization. No need for a truth movement or conspiracy theories. It’s very simple to clarify one way or another."

https://twitter.com/joshtpm/status/1606714151111479296?t=M9w828hur4qxCPKorFKj_g&s=19

Reminds me of all the Russian agents in Europe claiming to be from various Latin American countries…

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Herstory Begins Now posted:

.He remains almost completely deplatformed and every piece that comes out from within the Trump world suggests that there is no organization or vision or strategy to what Trump is doing currently. Dude doesn't even have a schedule, he just gets up and golfs and wanders around Mar a Lago.

To be fair (ugh) I dunno what the hell a candidate should be doing right now, over a year before the nearest primary. I don’t think anyone else has declared yet.