Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who's your 2022 MVP?
This poll is closed.
Shohei Ohtani 50 59.52%
Aaron Judge 19 22.62%
Hey, the national league has an MVP too you know! 15 17.86%
Total: 84 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Astros are so freaking lucky Pena panned out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Correa’s going to have a really great 2023 season being the backup on-field guy for ESPN at this rate

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/BaseballBrit/status/1606708731722752001?s=20&t=3KQMScDIp2AJTh92qG1mUA

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

I stumbled upon Retrosheet's list of ejections, complete as it can be through 2022. After putting the data in Excel, I did some sorting and came up with a list of favorites.
Full unformatted list

May 9, 1984: Joe West throws out two cameramen - videoboard operators, I presume - for showing a replay of a close call.

August 7, 2001: Mongo McMichael tossed for insulting the umps during the 7th inning stretch. (McMichael has ALS now and probably isn't going to make it much longer.)

4 mascots have been ejected. Two of them were Youppi, once in 1984 and the other in 1989. Toronto's B.J. Birdy held his nose got kicked out once and someone named Ink Spot Erasmus was thrown out in 1908.

17 trainers have been tossed, the last in 1997.

In 2001, Arthur Rhodes was tossed, with the reason given "arguing with opponent about earrings."

Jose Cardenal asked Joe West to toss him 1993. Cardenal needed to catch a plane.

Hughie Jennings was tossed twice in three days in 1907 for blowing a whistle.

In 1957, player Dick Drott was ejected for bringing a wheelchair to home plate.

Manager Frankie Frisch brought an umbrella on the field to protest the weather in 1941. A year earlier, Frisch was ejected for faking fainting. Amazingly, there is more than one fake fainting on the ejections list - Eddie Kasko did the same in 1972 managing the Red Sox. Edd Roush lay down in the outfield during an argument in 1920 and was booted.

Similar to Frisch, Boston Braves pitcher Connie Ryan wasn't happy about conditions in 1949 and wore a raincoat in the on-deck circle. Clete Boyer brought out an umbrella playing for Oakland in 1983.

Throwing a paper airplane got Dick Williams Angels manager Dick Williams ejected in 1975. In 1981, Dallas Green took the hat of umpire Steve Fields.

Jack Doyle fought an umpire in 1900, then got arrested. Sam Agnew was arrested after a fight in 1916.

Umpire Chicken Wolf took offense to Fred Tenney calling him "a fat dub" in 1896 and ejected him. It's noted that Tony Fernandez called Larry Barnett fatso in 1990.

New York Giant Bill Dahlen sent flowers to umpire Bill Klem in 1907. Klem didn't care for that.

How was Alex Rodriguez "running off the field in an intimidating manner" in 2002?

Of course, there's the Bobby Valentine mustache game in 1999.

RC and Moon Pie fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Dec 25, 2022

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Inspector_666 posted:

STAC Goat vindication tour.
It’s a Christmas Eve miracle.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

umpire chicken wolf

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

RC and Moon Pie posted:

lmao for what purpose

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

RC and Moon Pie posted:

In 2001, Arthur Rhodes was tossed, with the reason given "arguing with opponent about earrings."

Lol I remember watching this live. It was a few weeks after the crazy Cleveland comeback which I also watched. Lotta Seattle baseball that year!

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Sydin posted:

lmao for what purpose

wikipedia posted:

On April 24, 1957, Drott was ejected from a game for using a wheelchair to wheel Moe Drabowsky to first base after Drabowsky claimed he was hit on the foot by a pitch.[1]

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
King poo poo

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

The Pussy Boss posted:

This has been a rollercoaster of emotions for Giants fans, not gonna lie

It's been entertaining to watch Boras drag the Giants FO through mud with only the most mild response for days just for Cohen to double down that Boras's meal ticket this year is actually damaged goods.

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:
How long until Boras and his company are just everyones agent

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

The only reason I'm not assuming this is blatant collusion is that Cohen doesn't seem to give a poo poo about the other owners.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Just say they're looking at a Charles Correa, not Carlos, and are incompetent as heck

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Personally I’m going to blame Arson Judge for this

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

i am 100 pages into the joe maddon book and folks... it's bad.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
You know you don't HAVE to read the Joe Maddon they didn't fire me I quit book

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Umpire Chicken Wolf took offense to Fred Tenney calling him "a fat dub" in 1896 and ejected him. It's noted that Tony Fernandez called Larry Barnett fatso in 1990.

Now thats a baseball name

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Popete posted:

You know you don't HAVE to read the Joe Maddon they didn't fire me I quit book

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

RC and Moon Pie posted:

I stumbled upon Retrosheet's list of ejections, complete as it can be through 2022. After putting the data in Excel, I did some sorting and came up with a list of favorites.
Full unformatted list

May 9, 1984: Joe West throws out two cameramen - videoboard operators, I presume - for showing a replay of a close call.

August 7, 2001: Mongo McMichael tossed for insulting the umps during the 7th inning stretch. (McMichael has ALS now and probably isn't going to make it much longer.)

4 mascots have been ejected. Two of them were Youppi, once in 1984 and the other in 1989. Toronto's B.J. Birdy held his nose got kicked out once and someone named Ink Spot Erasmus was thrown out in 1908.

Jose Cardenal asked Joe West to toss him 1993. Cardenal needed to catch a plane.

Manager Frankie Frisch brought an umbrella on the field to protest the weather in 1941. A year earlier, Frisch was ejected for faking fainting. Amazingly, there is more than one fake fainting on the ejections list - Eddie Kasko did the same in 1972 managing the Red Sox. Edd Roush lay down in the outfield during an argument in 1920 and was booted.

Similar to Frisch, Boston Braves pitcher Connie Ryan wasn't happy about conditions in 1949 and wore a raincoat in the on-deck circle. Clete Boyer brought out an umbrella playing for Oakland in 1983.

Throwing a paper airplane got Dick Williams Angels manager Dick Williams ejected in 1975. In 1981, Dallas Green took the hat of umpire Steve Fields.

Jack Doyle fought an umpire in 1900, then got arrested. Sam Agnew was arrested after a fight in 1916.

New York Giant Bill Dahlen sent flowers to umpire Bill Klem in 1907. Klem didn't care for that.

How was Alex Rodriguez "running off the field in an intimidating manner" in 2002?

I fuckin love baseball

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

We need a lot more quotes

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Did an editor even look at this?

Popete fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Dec 27, 2022

Jubs
Jul 11, 2006

Boy, I think it's about time I tell you the difference between a man and a woman. A woman isn't a woman unless she's pretty. And a man isn't a man unless he's ugly.

Popete posted:

Did an editor even look at this?

No doubt.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Full unformatted list

this is extremely badass thank you

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

It's beautiful.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Full unformatted list

Good find! I particularly liked these.

The original Trevor Bauer
- 1914, Pitcher Heinie Zimmerman "Balls and strikes (Threw ball over grandstand)"

Can you guess which team was winning?
- 6/28/1918, Pitcher Bill McKechnie (Pirates) "Arguing game should be called for darkness"
- 6/28/1918, Manager Jack Hendricks (Cardinals) "Arguing game should not be stopped"

No idea what's going on here
- 1925, Pitcher Joe Shultz "Demanding time for pitcher to change shirt"

It sounds like he did this TOO a fan?? (also pro baseball name)
- 1938, Manager Burleigh Grimes "Fan interference call (Covered face with handkerchief)"

Will not shut up
- 1977, Pitcher John Denny "Refusing to stop talking to fans before game"

Popete fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Dec 25, 2022

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

wait is the whole book just Joe rambling in paragraph quotes?

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

bawfuls posted:

wait is the whole book just Joe rambling in paragraph quotes?

no, it's verducci writing about joe in 3rd person and giving a brief biography of every coach joe ever worked for and talking about how joe learned Important Life Lessons from all of them and about how actually it was good to take out kyle hendricks in game 7 and also every disastrous recent pitching decision was also good because it was part of a Process.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Poque posted:

Lol I remember watching this live. It was a few weeks after the crazy Cleveland comeback which I also watched. Lotta Seattle baseball that year!

Specifically, former Mariner Omar Vizquel complained that Rhodes' earrings were reflecting the sunlight and blinding him, so the ump asking Rhodes to take them out. Rhodes refused and got surly, so the ump tossed him.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Some Numbers posted:

Specifically, former Mariner Omar Vizquel complained that Rhodes' earrings were reflecting the sunlight and blinding him, so the ump asking Rhodes to take them out. Rhodes refused and got surly, so the ump tossed him.

I remember watching this have and laughing my rear end off

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Adrian Beltre getting ejected for moving the on-deck circle mat is still my favorite. The Rangers did an Adrian Beltre on-deck circle mouse pad promo later that year because of this. I still have one somewhere.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQIxGOP-KPo

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

R.D. Mangles posted:

no, it's verducci writing about joe in 3rd person and giving a brief biography of every coach joe ever worked for and talking about how joe learned Important Life Lessons from all of them and about how actually it was good to take out kyle hendricks in game 7 and also every disastrous recent pitching decision was also good because it was part of a Process.

Lmao I forgot it was with Verducci lol

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

Bandire posted:

Adrian Beltre getting ejected for moving the on-deck circle mat is still my favorite. The Rangers did an Adrian Beltre on-deck circle mouse pad promo later that year because of this. I still have one somewhere.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQIxGOP-KPo

TIL batters are required to be standing on that circle when they're on deck

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Merry Christmas baseball goons

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band

MrMidnight posted:

Merry Christmas baseball goons

LonesomeCrowdedWest
May 8, 2008