Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

franco
Jan 3, 2003

:kstare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

PiratePrentice posted:

I mean you just put some paper and tinder in there and light it with a match, right? I had a fireplace in one of the houses I lived in growing up and that's basically what we'd do.

There's way more knowledge than you're thinking about that goes into it. How should the logs be arranged, how many, how big, how much tinder, how much stuff that's sized between tinder and log do you need and how do you arrange that?

The nerd club I was in in university used to do an annual event where we were in cabins a few hours outside the city and I have watched a lot of nerds try to light a fire with only book knowledge of vaguely what to do. I don't know the answers to the questions either but I know the problems!

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Fruits of the sea posted:

Doritos are loving amazing firestarters in a pinch.

I remember an episode of Survivorman where he used a corn chip to transfer fire from one place to another.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

the similarity between the beginning of moby-go and laura's theme from twin peaks is not a coincidence right? did one artist sample the other?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Yeah, Moby sampled Angelo Badalamenti on the version of Go that got popular, but that was a remix of the original version which has no strings.

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Mopsy, I'm starting to question your medical credentials.

When I need to start a fire I shove dryer lint into a toilet paper tube. I have no idea if this is more or less effective than paper.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Carillon posted:

My phone screen broke, not shattered but stopped working. As part of my purchase I took the phone trade-in option, thinking I could do it remotely. Turns out it ran out of power and even recharging it I can't get it found. Will it fun up either my life or my credit if I turn it in without factory resetting it?

Following up here, anyone know if I'll screw myself over by just sending it in?

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
The biggest thing about starting a fire is the kindling/stick issue. Most people have the problem where they get some tinder and light it under a log, which will just char up the log. You need a lot of medium-sized pieces, way more than you'd think, and in a good progression of sizes.
It's me, I'm the "most people" who always fucks this up.
If you're doing this outside, it's reasonable to collect fallen dry sticks even if the area you're in is a "don't harvest firewood" sort of place. If you're inside, you should split up a smallish piece of firewood with a hatchet.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Should I grow my own lentils?

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!
I've always heard that perfume can react with a person's body chemistry and smell terrible, and I know it's true because every perfume I've ever tried does this. Sometimes it's an immediate thing, sometimes it takes a few hours to start smelling bad, but it's ALL perfume. I have no issue with body spray, shampoos, washes, conditioners, lotions, etc. Just perfume. Oh, but deodorants/antiperspirants don't work for me at all unless they have baking soda in them (took me years to figure that one out.)

What exactly is happening here?

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

tuyop posted:

I grew my own black beans a few years and it was very cool imo. But for different reasons than growing other things at home - they're not fresh, you harvest them dry, so there's no like, major quality increase. But it's cool to grow your own anything and the flowers are beautiful and the process of husking them is fun. Eventually decided I liked growing fresh things better in my limited space but it was still a cool and yummy experience. No idea about lentils but I imagine they're somewhat similar though I don't know if they're as pretty plants.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

smackfu posted:

Yeah, Moby sampled Angelo Badalamenti on the version of Go that got popular, but that was a remix of the original version which has no strings.

ah I didn't realize there was an earlier version in 1990

https://www.discogs.com/master/2497-Moby-Mobility

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

tuyop posted:

I also have no idea about how easy it is, but hell yes, grow your own lentils!

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

abelwingnut posted:

i'm similarly looking for an app, but one that tracks elevation. you'd think this would be in google maps, but i've yet to see the option. it would be great to know while driving out west.

Maybe late but I'm case someone else has a similar need: you can overlay a other app on top of Google maps ( or split the screen if you want), in this case GPS Test which you can switch to show only the altitude.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Do we have a geologist thread, what happens when you have two tectonic plates but one is moving in one direction say "north" and another is moving towards this other plate either orthogonally or at an angle? Will Oceanic or Continental behave differently?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Raenir Salazar posted:

Do we have a geologist thread

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3223185

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
the plural possessive of " pariah " is " pariahs' ", right?

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Eason the Fifth posted:

Correct.

Edit wait, is it?

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Common mistake, it's actually pars' iah

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Eason the Fifth posted:

yes. it doesn't have any special rules in english, it's the same as any other word that pluralizes with "s"
apparently it came to english from tamil so if you wanted to be extremely annoying and "technically correct" (wrong) you could use whatever the tamil pluralization rules are. like the people who insist on octopodes

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Eason the Fifth posted:

no, it’s moderators

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

like the people who insist on octopodes

In my defense I only do this to annoy the people who try to correct "octopuses" to "octopi".

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
fewer octopuses

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

mobby_6kl posted:

Maybe late but I'm case someone else has a similar need: you can overlay a other app on top of Google maps ( or split the screen if you want), in this case GPS Test which you can switch to show only the altitude.

that looks like android. i don't know if this is possible on ios? i can try it.

thepopmonster
Feb 18, 2014

Carillon posted:

Following up here, anyone know if I'll screw myself over by just sending it in?

If your phone has USB-C, a usb-C hub with hdmi out and a couple of usb-a ports should, theoretically, let you plug in a screen and mouse/keyboard and let you do whatever you need to do to wipe it. You can get fairly decent ones off amazon or monoprice for c. $40.

You have two ways that you could be scrod here:
a) You won't get the rebate
Depends on what condition the phone needs to be in, nothing much you can do about that - if it's still locked they'll probably reject it. You probably had to provide your IMEI as part of the trade in process but if that's something you haven't done yet (I did that dance with AT&T this year, and they asked for the imei as part of sending me the shipping label) and you can get a working-enough yourphone with clean imei off ebay for $ebay enough less than $rebate there's a solution right there.
b) Someone rips your data off the phone and uses it to screw you
Eh. Low but non-zero. Presumably they bin phones by condition, so yours being toast but locked might pique someone's interest and they can probably get into it given physical access. Question is would it normally pay enough for someone to do that rather than other, more efficient, ways of stealing PII such as malware and stolen passwords?

Does your cell carrier have stores? Have you tried going in and seeing if they have anything to do transfer-wipes for in-person tradeins that you might be able to leverage?

thepopmonster
Feb 18, 2014

Kevin DuBrow posted:

In my defense I only do this to annoy the people who try to correct "octopuses" to "octopi".

Some limey in 1873 posted:

But as the Octopus grew and multiplied, it became necessary to speak of him in the plural; and here a whole host of difficulties arose. Some daring spirits with little Latin and less Greek, rushed upon octopi; as for octopuses, a man would as soon think of swallowing one of the animals thus described as pronounce such a word at a respectable tea-table. In this condition of affairs, we are glad to know that a few resolute people have begun to talk about Octopods, which is, of course, the nearest English approach to the proper plural.
— The Bradford Observer (West Yorkshire, Eng.), 7 Nov. 1873

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

The best plural is octopuslar, using the Turkish plural.

Such Fun
May 6, 2013

BonHair posted:

The best plural is octopuslar, using the Turkish plural.

I’m afraid the octopuslar are undergoing runaway inflation.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

abelwingnut posted:

that looks like android. i don't know if this is possible on ios? i can try it.
Oh yeah that's Android, sorry it wasn't clear from the original question which phone it's supposed to work on. Haven't used an iphone since 6, but I've heard there's some sort of multitasking now? Give it a shot, maybe it works now.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

English is such loving bullshit

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Any clever ideas for using great big garbage bags with tiny bins?

My bin is only around 15L, which is the right size for most plastic shopping bags, but I don't always have those, and they're easy to overfill. I can easily find drawstring ones, which is ideal, but they're always the great big 56L ones for the big wheely bins.

I'm pretty sure there's no way around this, and I've just got to waste bag capacity, really really search until I find little bags, or cram a big kitchen bin into my tiny kitchen, but just in case I'm missing something I thought I'd ask. Unless I can somehow seal the bag closed, cut the excess off, seal the bottom of that to form a new, smaller bag, like those heat-sealing knives on factory assembly lines that seal a continuous stream of products using a continuous tube of plastic...

E: maybe I'm asking the wrong question, and what I actually need is a way to have a big bin in a very small space. That would be even better!

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
how many things are made out of insect vomit? bees vomit honey, silkworms vomit silk and grasshoppers vomit toast spread is there anything else?

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!

Hyperlynx posted:

Any clever ideas for using great big garbage bags with tiny bins?

My bin is only around 15L, which is the right size for most plastic shopping bags, but I don't always have those, and they're easy to overfill. I can easily find drawstring ones, which is ideal, but they're always the great big 56L ones for the big wheely bins.

I'm pretty sure there's no way around this, and I've just got to waste bag capacity, really really search until I find little bags, or cram a big kitchen bin into my tiny kitchen, but just in case I'm missing something I thought I'd ask. Unless I can somehow seal the bag closed, cut the excess off, seal the bottom of that to form a new, smaller bag, like those heat-sealing knives on factory assembly lines that seal a continuous stream of products using a continuous tube of plastic...

E: maybe I'm asking the wrong question, and what I actually need is a way to have a big bin in a very small space. That would be even better!

Whenever I need to put an oversized bag in a can I tie a knot on one side of the opening. This will use up some excess bag and you can make the opening small enough that it fits snugly around the rim of the can. I leave the knot kind of loose so I can easily undo it later if I want to throw in some extra stuff before I take the full bag to the dumpster.

The trick with the knot is to tie it BEFORE you put the bag in the can, and then stretch the smaller opening over the rim for a nice snug fit.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

butt dickus posted:

how many things are made out of insect vomit? bees vomit honey, silkworms vomit silk and grasshoppers vomit toast spread is there anything else?

Caddisfly larva jewelry

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Platystemon posted:

Caddisfly larva jewelry
this doesn't count unless they barf out the larvae

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

butt dickus posted:

Cat sick pancakes are made out of cat sick

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

butt dickus posted:

There are some kinds of nests made of bird spit/vomit, particularly the kind used in bird's nest soup

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

butt dickus posted:

What's the grasshopper vomit spread?

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Trapick posted:

What's the grasshopper vomit spread?

Are you only just finding out how they make peanut butter today?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Do little kids think that shopping centre santas are the actual santa? Is there a period kids go through where they know that one is just a guy but they still think the real one is out there?