Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sterf
Dec 31, 2004

sailormoon posted:

Any Steam Sale must buys I should pick up for the Deck?

Dungeon Warfare 2 is amazingly addictive and fun on Steam Deck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
Tried out Alien Isolation and Doom 2016 and they look and run so amazingly, real shame we never got another AI game (or any other) with that engine.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Super No Vacancy posted:

i would recommend not adding 9000 individual games to your ui, personally

I'm not. They're going into separate categories for NES, SNES, Genesis and Game Boy Advance games.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Basic Chunnel posted:

Well it took me about 18 hours but I got my modded Skyrim install working. It is v good

Not enough mod time, the way you play Skyrim is you mod for 30 hours and then play something else

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

sailormoon posted:

Any Steam Sale must buys I should pick up for the Deck?

Celeste is worth $20 and is superworth $5

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

I'm not. They're going into separate categories for NES, SNES, Genesis and Game Boy Advance games.

That’s still 9000 entries in your non-Steam tab, which is gonna get real annoying real quick. I’d use SRM to just add Emulation Station as a non-Steam game and use that to launch your games instead. Using its scraper tool to get boxart will also probably be easier.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Scraping with emulationstation for complete sets is still a loving endless nightmare unless you get a donor account on screenscraper to link it to, imo.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Maybe just have less than every single game made for the consoles you want to emulate idk.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

njsykora posted:

That’s still 9000 entries in your non-Steam tab, which is gonna get real annoying real quick. I’d use SRM to just add Emulation Station as a non-Steam game and use that to launch your games instead. Using its scraper tool to get boxart will also probably be easier.

I did this, much easier

I did have to scroll through the lists once each to mark stuff as favorites but absolutely worth it

Mr E posted:

Maybe just have less than every single game made for the consoles you want to emulate idk.

You just, like, don't get it man :colbert:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Mr E posted:

There's something to be said for a nice curated collection of titles instead of everything that's ever existed

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Yeah I have 20 emulated games on my Deck and it’s just stuff I either am actively playing or could be hit by the urge to play at any time. Like Beach Spikers.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

RBA Starblade posted:

There's something to be said for a nice curated collection of titles instead of everything that's ever existed

I have both, via favorites

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

njsykora posted:

Huh that's actually a good idea.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Elden Ring works well on the deck, right?

ottergauze
Dec 11, 2022

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

It’s verified, so, maybe there’s a small chance.

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari

Works fine for me

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

30fps seems to be what you should expect from videos I’ve seen, maybe 40 if you lower settings.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Still better than Bloodborne :v:

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

depends on how picky you are with graphics and frames per second - it's definitely a bit muggier and you won't get above 30fps but it's 100% playable. in the context of something you are playing handheld it runs astonishingly well.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

You gotta have a Mister or a separate emulation box/handheld for the bulk complete rom set experience. Steam Deck works best for a curated small library that gets actively rotated out.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?

Foul Fowl posted:

depends on how picky you are with graphics and frames per second - it's definitely a bit muggier and you won't get above 30fps but it's 100% playable. in the context of something you are playing handheld it runs astonishingly well.

I just started Elden Ring, and you can definitely keep 30-40FPS by dropping almost everything to low.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

I just started Elden Ring, and you can definitely keep 30-40FPS by dropping almost everything to low.

it's been a while since i played it on the deck so maybe i'm misremembering or they made it run better, either way that's good to hear.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
This fluff piece says Elden Ring runs ok if you download all the shaders.

https://www.ign.com/articles/valve-explains-how-it-fixed-elden-ring-on-steam-deck

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I'll be taking my Steam Deck outside for the first time tomorrow, for a train ride. I don't want to use the speakers on a train, so I'm gonna be headphoning. I initially tested my WF-1000XM4s, because it would be nice to just swap from my phone to the Deck when I get to the train and use the same headphones, but the audio delay is atrocious. I know there's always some audio delay with Bluetooth, but this was ... bad.

Is there any way improve it, or am I doomed to be rocking huge over-ears on a train?

Spaghett
May 2, 2007

Spooked ya...

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

I'll be taking my Steam Deck outside for the first time tomorrow, for a train ride. I don't want to use the speakers on a train, so I'm gonna be headphoning. I initially tested my WF-1000XM4s, because it would be nice to just swap from my phone to the Deck when I get to the train and use the same headphones, but the audio delay is atrocious. I know there's always some audio delay with Bluetooth, but this was ... bad.

Is there any way improve it, or am I doomed to be rocking huge over-ears on a train?

That is very different than my experience with the same headphones. Is it just that particular game you're playing?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

I use airpods pro and have never had an issue with sound delay on any device ever

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Spaghett posted:

That is very different than my experience with the same headphones. Is it just that particular game you're playing?

jokes posted:

I use airpods pro and have never had an issue with sound delay on any device ever

Weird. Even in the menus the delay between pushing a button and getting a sound response was VERY noticeable. I have set my headphones to use a higher quality codec in the Sony Headphones app on my phone, but I would assume that just changes the phone's settings and doesn't change any settings on the headphones themselves. I also haven't changed any settings on my Steam Deck.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I have the XM4s and there was some noticeable delay, but it was small enough for me to tune out, change the codec in the app because all of the settings you adjust in there are saved onto the earbuds themselves so you can use your personal settings across any device that doesn't have access to the app.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I switched over to Apple devices this year so I had my leftover Galaxy Pods Pro or whatever they called them. I connected them to the Steam Deck to see how that would go and the audio delay was too much to bear. Last time I tried any BT audio on a gaming device was the Vita forever ago and it was just as bad. I was disappointed things haven’t improved since then.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

I tried using my pixel buds with the deck and the latency was really bad. I looked it up and apparently they don't support the lowest latency Bluetooth codec so gave up on them and dug out an old £10 pair of wired earbuds. Turns out they live a lot longer if they're not being stuffed into the pocket of your jeans all day every day

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Detective No. 27 posted:

I switched over to Apple devices this year so I had my leftover Galaxy Pods Pro or whatever they called them. I connected them to the Steam Deck to see how that would go and the audio delay was too much to bear. Last time I tried any BT audio on a gaming device was the Vita forever ago and it was just as bad. I was disappointed things haven’t improved since then.

works fine with my Sony WH-1000XM4 over BT, I don't notice any delay

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

I’ve been playing a lot of Elden Ring, a mix of medium to high settings will get you consistent 30-40, I throttle at 40 for that extra bit of battery life

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
Is there any way to quickly connect to my Bluetooth ear buds, without going to Steam > Settings > Audio > Connect to device? Feels like it should be an option in the quick settings menu

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I got Potionomics from the Steam Holiday Train (special thx to BabyRyoga). Putting aside the actual game, which seems pretty cool so far, I was disappointed in that the game basically has no controller support and you need to use the trackpad. Not that it doesn't work on Deck, but I was hoping for something a little more as it looked like a great Deck game.

On the other side of the spectrum, Two Point Campus does a really good job with gamepad controls even if they can be fiddly at times.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Carpet posted:

Is there any way to quickly connect to my Bluetooth ear buds, without going to Steam > Settings > Audio > Connect to device? Feels like it should be an option in the quick settings menu

Decky Loader has a Plug-In called "Bluetooth" that allows you to quickly connect to any previously connected Bluetooth device, I don't know how many steps it saves but there's that.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
I thought cyberpunk 2077 would be too difficult on the deck. I was stupid and didn't make the effort to learn what the game was about exactly, I just saw it was half off and updated to being much better than at release and that was enough for me.

Turns out I've adapted to the point it's actually more comfortable to lie down in bed playing it vs sitting on my computer. Using an analog stick is still way less precise vs a mouse for me, but that doesn't matter when you're matrix sliding into bashing a mooks kneecaps in with a big floppy vibrator lol.

Also, I recently learned River City Girls is a thing, in fact there's multiple games at this point and a beat em up is prefect for a handheld like the deck. Unfortunately they want thirty five bucks for it which feels kind of steep compared to comparable games; even with the Xmas sale only River City Girls 2 is 10% off.

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

Streets of Rage 4 is the better game imo. But River City Girls is currently 58% off at Fanatical:

https://www.fanatical.com/en/game/river-city-girls

It might also pay to wait for RCG as it's been in a few bundles in the past.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

I just want MIDNIGHT SUNS to work, you gd cretins

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

AfricanBootyShine posted:

Streets of Rage 4 is the better game imo. But River City Girls is currently 58% off at Fanatical:

https://www.fanatical.com/en/game/river-city-girls

It might also pay to wait for RCG as it's been in a few bundles in the past.

Streets of Rage 4 is so fun and gorgeous to look at.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I'm surviving vampires. This is going to be nice to have on a plane.