Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

pik_d posted:

So I have to stream it to avoid the injected ads? That's weird and lovely

No, the stream will still contain the ads. Podcasts are as big as they are because iHeart Media and co can shovel ads into your ears - streaming it isn't some loophole to get around that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hot date tonight!
Jan 13, 2009

Slippery Tilde
Someone could conceivably make an app with a sponsorblock style user updated database of skipping points, but sponsorblock works because youtube is huge and I'm not sure podcasts have that kind of audience

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
also, very importantly: the ads are dynamic and get updated, meaning the skip positions would be different when you listen to a podcast now versus if you listened to it a month ago

the first time i realized that the ad i was hearing when i was listening to a podcast from the top was talking about things happening now felt Very Weird

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Inceltown posted:

No, the stream will still contain the ads. Podcasts are as big as they are because iHeart Media and co can shovel ads into your ears - streaming it isn't some loophole to get around that.

In my testing of the two apps today it seemed like there were only ads bookending the podcast when I downloaded it first. I'll double check tomorrow but that's why I was asking.

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
HANG 'EM HIGH

We're fighting human animals and we act accordingly
Guys just listen to the ads you'll be OK. People aren't doing good podcasts for free.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Antennapod has a per subscription setting to skip a custom number of seconds at start and end of episodes.

Aaronicon
Oct 2, 2010

A BLOO BLOO ANYONE I DISAGREE WITH IS A "BAD PERSON" WHO DESERVES TO DIE PLEEEASE DONT FALL ALL OVER YOURSELF WHITEWASHING THEM A BLOO BLOO

Pvt. Parts posted:

Guys just listen to the ads you'll be OK. People aren't doing good podcasts for free.

if i hear one more ad for squarespace i'll literally become a terrorist

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Flipperwaldt posted:

Antennapod has a per subscription setting to skip a custom number of seconds at start and end of episodes.

I want to say I've seen this for podcast addict also.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
how do you turn off google search opening results in their special chrome viewer thing? I want to open it in my regular browser that blocks video ads when I'm just trying to look up a goddamn recipe

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Pvt. Parts posted:

The ads are REALLY loving jarring, I'd rather pay the app some money to get rid of it but I can't find any apps that say the premium version gets rid of those ads

Flipperwaldt posted:

If I'm at work I'd rather download it, getting the ads, if I'm at home I just stream it, so I'd be skipping talking

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

crepeface posted:

how do you turn off google search opening results in their special chrome viewer thing? I want to open it in my regular browser that blocks video ads when I'm just trying to look up a goddamn recipe

I wish I knew but at least there's an option in the upper right menu to reopen those pages in a different browser (Vivaldi in my case). You might have to set it up as your default browser first, I no longer recall.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Inceltown posted:

Here is an episode before I downloaded it:

And here is after, notice the length has increased for the ads

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Flipperwaldt posted:

PocketCasts has this too.

pik_d posted:

The ads are REALLY loving jarring, I'd rather pay the app some money to get rid of it but I can't find any apps that say the premium version gets rid of those ads

If I'm at work I'd rather download it, getting the ads, if I'm at home I just stream it, so I'd be skipping talking

Are there any podcasts you pay for that have an ad-free version? That'd be the best way to test where the ads are coming from. I have one such podcast, and with Pocketcasts I've never heard any ads from the ad-free feed.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

docbeard posted:

I wish I knew but at least there's an option in the upper right menu to reopen those pages in a different browser (Vivaldi in my case). You might have to set it up as your default browser first, I no longer recall.

it used to be an option but with how obtuse settings are now I can't find or even work out how out how to google it.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

crepeface posted:

it used to be an option but with how obtuse settings are now I can't find or even work out how out how to google it.

Tap your profile icon in the search app -> settings -> general -> open web pages in the app.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

hooah posted:

Are there any podcasts you pay for that have an ad-free version? That'd be the best way to test where the ads are coming from. I have one such podcast, and with Pocketcasts I've never heard any ads from the ad-free feed.

I really only listen to one, Wheel Takes, and I don't see a pay option/ad-free version.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

pik_d posted:

I really only listen to one, Wheel Takes, and I don't see a pay option/ad-free version.

Ok. What apps have you tried so far? I don't think PocketCasts adds ads, and I would be surprised if Podcast Addict did - I think they're open source.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

hooah posted:

Ok. What apps have you tried so far? I don't think PocketCasts adds ads, and I would be surprised if Podcast Addict did - I think they're open source.

Man now I feel dumb, I've solved it by visiting their Twitter which said they switched hosting companies and the new one added ads. Four days ago. I usually don't visit their Twitter because of spoilers. That explains why I was sure they didn't do it in the podcast themselves.

Edit: I think this might also explain the streaming vs downloaded versions, because today all versions have ads. I'm thinking since I am working though their old stuff I listened to some before the ads were retroactively applied, but the download forced it?

pik_d fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Dec 24, 2022

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

hooah posted:

Tap your profile icon in the search app -> settings -> general -> open web pages in the app.

that's not it, i already have that checked. i'm not talking about opening a twitter.com link in the app, i'm talking about a regular ol' webpage. i want it to open up in my browser instead of that chromewebviewer thing.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Hmm, don't know then. That was the first time I've used the widget in maybe a year, but a search result opened in Firefox for me, so it's definitely possible.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Pvt. Parts posted:

hooah posted:

Yeah I use Pocketcasts and it does have the ability to skip 30s or whatever at the beginning/end of the podcast, but it seems the ads are being inserted into some podcasts at weird times. It doesn't bother me, I get it, ads pay the bills but it's jarring sometimes.

There's a few that I have a Patreon for and they provide ad free streams and I never hear ads on those in Pocketcasts

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

flatluigi posted:

also, very importantly: the ads are dynamic and get updated, meaning the skip positions would be different when you listen to a podcast now versus if you listened to it a month ago

I remember the Vergecast saying they can't mark chapters because their ads being automatically added would screw up the time stamps needed.

But, I have several podcasts without ads (either don't have ads or I got an ad-free link due to backing them on patreon) and I've never had an ad added on PocketCasts.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

crepeface posted:

that's not it, i already have that checked. i'm not talking about opening a twitter.com link in the app, i'm talking about a regular ol' webpage. i want it to open up in my browser instead of that chromewebviewer thing.

It is that setting

With it unticked all my links open in edge, which is my default browser

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Is there an Android games thread

I'm not big into Android games but leaving my switch at home this time. Need stuff that can be played in airplane mode

Looks like FF7 and Crossy Road are good options

Are there any rogue likes I should check out, city builders or whatever

I have a pixel 5

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Hadlock posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3711191&pagenumber=593&perpage=40

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Hadlock posted:

I'm not big into Android games but leaving my switch at home this time. Need stuff that can be played in airplane mode

I have a pixel 5

It will come up in the Android thread a bunch too but goon made game Slice and Dice is basically the perfect phone game. The free version gives you a good taste of how it goes and it is almost universally adored. There is even a thread for it

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Hadlock posted:

I have a pixel 5

The "Go" games, are great, Hitman Go, Lara Croft Go, Deus Ex Go. Puzzle board games that use their themes well.

I did see that Deus Ex GO is getting pulled from the store because Deus Ex's new owners hate everyone.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

Inceltown posted:

It will come up in the Android thread a bunch too but goon made game Slice and Dice is basically the perfect phone game. The free version gives you a good taste of how it goes and it is almost universally adored. There is even a thread for it

This is extremely true. Worth every penny.

Dungeon Warfare is a good tower defense. Haven't tried the sequel, but I assume it's decent as well.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Chrome on mobile changed something about the way that tab groups work; wasn't paying a ton of attention when it happened but I guess the change happened with Android 13? I think the specific behavior I'm thinking of is that when it was introduced the "open in new tab" was "in this group" by default, and now it defaults to spawning a new ungrouped tab. Poked around at flags, didn't see a relevant one.

E: and just now I notice it's working like I want it to? Maybe I found the right flag but didn't restart Chrome or something.

KICK BAMA KICK fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Dec 30, 2022

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

So here's a probably stupid question, but cursory googling got me nothing: does the 'Toggle' function in Macrodroid just mean "turn it on if it's off and vice versa"? That's what I'm assuming but can't find confirmation..

Traxus IV
Sep 11, 2001

it's our time now
let's get this shit started

Are there any recommended general adblockers? I had Blokada Slim running but it's deprecated and finally quit working, and the version on the Google play store now is subscription based. I'm not totally opposed to paying for an adblocker but I'm not gonna do a subscription.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
I'm using nextdns with a bunch of blocklists, plus Firefox with ublock origin.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Kassad posted:

I'm using nextdns with a bunch of blocklists, plus Firefox with ublock origin.

Same. The only trouble I have is sometimes I can't get internet from public wifi hotspots unless I turn off the private DNS.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

hooah posted:

Same. The only trouble I have is sometimes I can't get internet from public wifi hotspots unless I turn off the private DNS.

I really wish Google would make it so Android would disable private DNS if it falls to connect and just give you a warning notification

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Lowen SoDium posted:

I really wish Google would make it so Android would disable private DNS if it falls to connect and just give you a warning notification

Yes, that would be fantastic. It'd also be nice if the "automatic" radio button was documented anywhere. No loving clue what it does.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
I have a work profile on my phone (office pays, woot).
Well I use tailscale for my personal VPN. When i turn off work profile for the night, tailscale disconnects. Its not installed under the work profile, it just assumes it is a work app I guess? Is there a way to keep it up all the time?

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Is this the right place to ask for help troubleshooting weird app behavior, specifically the Gmail app? I haven't been able to download attachments for weeks. If the attachment is a photo, I can't even see it and just get this:

If it's a different type of file I see a brief progress bar as if it's attempting to download and then:

No idea why it started happening. Maybe following an overnight app update, but I can't say that with confidence. After checking all the settings I could think of, I un/re-installed the app and still no luck. Any ideas on what I should be checking?

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Trabant posted:

Is this the right place to ask for help troubleshooting weird app behavior, specifically the Gmail app? I haven't been able to download attachments for weeks. If the attachment is a photo, I can't even see it and just get this:

If it's a different type of file I see a brief progress bar as if it's attempting to download and then:

No idea why it started happening. Maybe following an overnight app update, but I can't say that with confidence. After checking all the settings I could think of, I un/re-installed the app and still no luck. Any ideas on what I should be checking?

Does it happen both on wifi and cellular data? Like, have you tried disabling wifi and seeing if cellular data will make it work as expected, or vice versa?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Trabant posted:

Are you using anything to block ads system-wide, or have any type of virus/malware protection installed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Does it happen both on wifi and cellular data? Like, have you tried disabling wifi and seeing if cellular data will make it work as expected, or vice versa?

Just tested -- it happens both on wifi and cellular (Verizon).

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Are you using anything to block ads system-wide, or have any type of virus/malware protection installed?

I do use AdGuard; I disabled it and restarted but no luck.