Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

When my stepdaughter was in 4th grade, her teacher told the entire class that that day when they got home, there would be an elf on the shelf waiting for them, then emailed all the parents to tell them about it so they could buy one before the kids got home from school that day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Generated Wizards
Apr 16, 2016

Doing something your wife asked you not to do purely out of spite will definitely make her less anxious about you finding stupid reasons to do things she doesn't want you to do. Why do I feel like the kids may not have actually been that invested in having an elf, but as soon as OP's wife explained why she didn't want one he decided it was vital to their Christmas experience?

I thought the whole elf on the shelf thing was weird and kind of stupid when it was just moving it around to really sell the surveillance bit, but having it do 'pranks' is just creating problems for yourself for no reason - one of my parents' colleagues had a young kid and he and his wife were stressing themselves out trying to think of things for this stupid elf to do every night that wouldn't be a huge pain in the rear end to clean up. You very quickly run out of harmlessly silly things to do (their elf was very fond of putting undies or toilet paper where they shouldn't be), or you start doing genuinely annoying poo poo like cutting your kids' hair.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Bored posted:

Obviously wear the buttplug, eat some beans, then aim and fire once enough pressure has built. Aim for the face.

In The Line of Doodie.

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

elves of the shelf have only just started appearing in australia and i do not welcome them. until now though it was just the manufactured tradition and the surveillance aspect that unnerved me. but now i hear american families have become entirely enmeshed in this elf mythology. they feel compelled to work for the elf, to create the illusion that the elf is alive and maintain it at all costs. children and parents alike are slaves to the elf. what is going on

arsenicCatnip
Dec 23, 2022

:33< i KNOW, i was speaking metafurrikitty :33

a strange fowl posted:

elves of the shelf have only just started appearing in australia and i do not welcome them. until now though it was just the manufactured tradition and the surveillance aspect that unnerved me. but now i hear american families have become entirely enmeshed in this elf mythology. they feel compelled to work for the elf, to create the illusion that the elf is alive and maintain it at all costs. children and parents alike are slaves to the elf. what is going on

it's incredibly bizarre. I feel like one of these days the elves are gonna develop a bodycount.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
My wife and I are 100 percent against elf on the shelf and I will happily tell my kid why if she asks cuz I'm not going hard on Santa

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

arsenicCatnip posted:

it's incredibly bizarre. I feel like one of these days the elves are gonna develop a bodycount.
the elves have escalated to pranks. they must be destroyed

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Elf on a Shelf is a dipshit narc, gently caress that dude

I never even heard about it until I was in my 30's and I'm glad!

arsenicCatnip
Dec 23, 2022

I bought an elf on the shelf and it keeps telling me to kill people, AITA?

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
AITA for telling my SIL that no one in our family is named Stephanie?

quote:

I can't figure out if I did anything wrong, or if so, what, because I honestly have no idea what's going on. Hopefully someone here can give me a clue. Here's the relevant info, as far as I know.

My brother and his wife are expecting their first girl after two boys. I love Ricky and Jace, and so does my SIL, but she has always wanted a girl and is very excited to be having one. She also wants to name the girl Chloe, as she loves that name. My brother hates the name Chloe and really wants to name their daughter Stephanie. They have been arguing about it for a few weeks, since finding out the gender.

I got to my parents house late last night and my SIL was the only person still awake. We talked for a little bit, and she asked me the weirdest question. She asked me if I knew any stories about great aunt Stephanie. I was so confused. I literally said "who?"

SIL clarified that she was talking about our grandmother's older sister that died when grandma was a little girl. Our grandma had two sisters, but their names were Judy and Lynn. There's no one in our family named Stephanie, as far as I know. I told as much to my SIL. She changed the subject after that, and we soon went to bed.

This morning my brother and his wife were both sulking during breakfast. Even the kids could tell. Ricky kept saying "stop being grumpy on Christmas." So it wasn't just my imagination. I got my brother alone and confronted him. He snapped at me for "meddling" and told me to stay out of his marriage.

My brother is pissed at me, and my SIL won't even talk to me. I'm afraid to say anything to my parents and drag them into this, especially since I still don't know what this is. Either my grandmother had a secret sister that I don't know about but my brother does for some reason, or my brother lied to his wife to convince her to name their baby Stephanie. Both options seem equally weird to me. Maybe there's a third possibility I'm not seeing?

Reddit, am I the rear end in a top hat? If so, please explain to me why. I don't want to be the reason Christmas is ruined.

some redditor posted:

Your brother is a comics fan, right? Is he by any chance a big Batman fan, because I’m seeing a kind of pattern with these names.

OP posted:

Yeah, big time. How did you know?

some redditor posted:

Let's just say if this baby had been a boy he would have suggested Tim.

OP posted:

That was the name he wanted if they were having a boy! How did you know that?!

some redditor posted:

These are all the names of former Robins. As in BATMAN & ...
Richard Grayson, Jason Todd, Tim Drake, Stephanie Brown and Damian Wayne.

OP's update posted:

Most awkward Christmas Eve dinner ever. Gotta keep this short; lots going on. Everyone now knows what my brother was doing with the kids names(except the kids obviously). They are pissed. Weirdly my mom is the most pissed. A Christmas truce is in place for the kids, so no fighting on the holiday. However the baby is definitely going to be named Chloe. My brother very quickly backed down when my mom said some few choice words to him. The topic is completely banned for the rest of festivities, so, for now at least, they've tied a bow on the situation.

arsenicCatnip
Dec 23, 2022

making up a relative to name your child after as an excuse to not go with your wife's idea is some George Costanza poo poo.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Admiral Joeslop posted:

When my stepdaughter was in 4th grade, her teacher told the entire class that that day when they got home, there would be an elf on the shelf waiting for them, then emailed all the parents to tell them about it so they could buy one before the kids got home from school that day.

And the students with good parents learned a lesson that day: their teacher could not be trusted.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Holy poo poo

Like, I teach 5th grade in the U.S. and doing that would cause a giant shitstorm that would no doubt escalate to admin by the end of the school day.

I have twin 4th grade sons and if their teacher did that and I didn't know them I would call the office to complain. And I'm super mellow with my kids teachers, so I imagine there would be at least 20 calls.

Drunk Nerds fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Dec 25, 2022

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling

MrQwerty posted:

Elf on a Shelf is a dipshit narc, gently caress that dude

I never even heard about it until I was in my 30's and I'm glad!

I was a little kid and we had an elf that looked like an elf on the shelf, but dated back to the 1950s. I have no idea where it came from. It visited each night and left candy in little elf baskets, which were little crocheted baskets on the tree. We would end up with a few pieces of candy. It also had a little pillow and blanket that hung on the tree and were found on the floor each morning, because the elf took a little nap since our house was such a nice place to visit. He visited and left candy to make the holidays more happy. I loved the elf and the elf baskets, but the elf on a shelf thing didn't exist.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Bonster posted:

I was a little kid and we had an elf that looked like an elf on the shelf, but dated back to the 1950s. I have no idea where it came from. It visited each night and left candy in little elf baskets, which were little crocheted baskets on the tree. We would end up with a few pieces of candy. It also had a little pillow and blanket that hung on the tree and were found on the floor each morning, because the elf took a little nap since our house was such a nice place to visit. He visited and left candy to make the holidays more happy. I loved the elf and the elf baskets, but the elf on a shelf thing didn't exist.

That elf had a grandson who grew up on reddit and turned into an incel MAGA voter, I'm sorry to say

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Metal Coat? It's already active?!

Captain Hygiene posted:

I don't get it, every time I've mentioned black cats to anyone who likes cats, we all agree they're the best.

All cats are the best cats.

Cat tax, Carlisle (tuxedo) and Clementine

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

JackSplater posted:

All cats are the best cats.

Cat tax, Carlisle (tuxedo) and Clementine

These cats are holding hands on levels we humans can only dream of.

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Kinda weird to name a real life kid after a fictional child character who is known for 1) being beat to death as a child and 2) is a huge boner for murder as an adult. Like that's kinda his gimmick, he's batman with guns. [he got resurrected, don't think too hard, it's comics.]

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling

MrQwerty posted:

That elf had a grandson who grew up on reddit and turned into an incel MAGA voter, I'm sorry to say

Nooooooo!

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Elf on a Shelf is a phony tradition that was made up by a mom and daughter in the 2000s as the plot for a kids book, and the other daughter worked in marketing. They pretty much stole the old elf design and the entire "tradition" is just a marketing ploy to sell books and dolls.

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat

value-brand cereal posted:

Kinda weird to name a real life kid after a fictional child character who is known for 1) being beat to death as a child

Wasn't he also specifically beaten to death because the fandom hated him?

Edit: Nope looked at wiki, its more complicated than that.

Fatty fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Dec 25, 2022

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

SulfurMonoxideCute posted:

Elf on a Shelf is a phony tradition that was made up by a mom and daughter in the 2000s as the plot for a kids book, and the other daughter worked in marketing. They pretty much stole the old elf design and the entire "tradition" is just a marketing ploy to sell books and dolls.

Also you could get them to send you a video listing some of your kid's naughty deeds as some sort of intimidation technique.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Fatty posted:

Wasn't he also specifically beaten to death because the fandom hated him?

Edit: Nope looked at wiki, its more complicated than that.
iirc it was put to a mail-in vote, and the vote to spare him actually won. The writers then killed him anyway ostensibly to teach the lesson "you don't always get what you want" but instead ended up teaching "never trust authority figures, they will only lie to you".

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

DemoneeHo posted:

Husband insists I wear buttplug to prevent me from farting.

r/relationships: I think I have fart envy?

But also, have a cat.

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

Bonster posted:

oh that's nice, it may be based on an older tradition that your family inherited naturally :unsmith: it is your duty to do your ancestors justice by destroying every single elf on every single shelf in america

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...
I (25 F) begged my partner (28M) for an open relationship 8 months in, he left

quote:

I (25F) begged for an open relationship, 8 months in he leaves me

8 months ago I (25f) asked my partner 28m) for an open relationship as I got bored with him, (nothing wrong but he just didn't excite me much) and he agreed, but he proceeded to tell me there's a catch, "if he catches feelings for a partner he's going to leave me for her" and that's exactly what happened and I want him back in my arms He left me for his new partner (28-29ishF)

What can I do to win the love of my life back??

Update: I (25F) begged for an open relationship, 8 months in he leaves me

quote:

Probably nobody asked for this, but here's an update I was kicked out of his house last Sunday, that's 6 days now And I excruciatingly miss him, I will do anything to get him to return to me but he looks happy on social media with his new partner that I'm pretty sure he was cheating on me with.

Anyways I tried calling him, no answer, I saw him in public And he pretend to not even know who the gently caress I was He won't acknowledge my existence, so I went to our former place just to talk, and things got hostile, his new Gf hates me for some reason, I didn't even know her, and she proceeded to try and attack me, while he tried to split us up And get me out the door.

When he had his back turned she MACED me. And now HE'S trying to file a restraining order on ME! The hell did I do wrong? She attacked me and pepper sprayed me.

How can I convince him he's dating a psychopath?

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul

Malachite_Dragon posted:

iirc it was put to a mail-in vote, and the vote to spare him actually won. The writers then killed him anyway ostensibly to teach the lesson "you don't always get what you want" but instead ended up teaching "never trust authority figures, they will only lie to you".

It was a phone vote and death narrowly won. So I guess the real lesson is fans are bloodthirsty, but not that bloodthirsty.

Evil Willow posted:

Tale as old as time :allears:

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude

Evil Willow posted:

This can only go great places

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I'm bored with him. He doesn't excite me. He's the love of my life. I excruciatingly miss him.

His new girlfriend hates me. She's crazy

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Elf on a shelf reminds me of my daughter and the tooth fairy. My husband left a note with the first money in silver ink. He would up spending the next couple of years answering letters from our daughter, in character.

I'm just saying, this is a dark path.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

arsenicCatnip posted:

making up a relative to name your child after as an excuse to not go with your wife's idea is some George Costanza poo poo.

When my oldest sister was having her first kid, she announced she wanted some millennial rear end name for him. Our parents immediately went out and bought a chicken and named the chicken that name, in the hopes that my sister would not name her first born after a chicken. It worked she picked a different name.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

Seriously. They are too recent of an invention to be as loving ugly as they are. If you’re going to waste money on fake traditional bullshit (which then becomes real traditional bullshit), you might as well get something cuter.

Anyway, the only thing good to come about from Elf on the Shelf:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9EJSMG_cdo

Activate
Oct 29, 2011

You can just kill the elf.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Lmfaoooooooooo loving nerd. You want to use nerdy poo poo as a basis for naming your kids that fine as long as it's not Sepiroth or whatever, but trying to sneak it in with-- as was said above-- some George Costanza lie is loving uproarious.

value-brand cereal posted:

Kinda weird to name a real life kid after a fictional child character who is known for 1) being beat to death as a child and 2) is a huge boner for murder as an adult. Like that's kinda his gimmick, he's batman with guns. [he got resurrected, don't think too hard, it's comics.]

There's a segment of Batman/DC comics fans that understand/love the found family dynamics of the various Robins/Batgirls/etc. and are all too happy to sand off the edges. It's actually really weird that no one at that company has found a way to sell it to normal people yet.

:goonsay:

SulfurMonoxideCute posted:

Yeah I won't poo poo on parents or kids that like it, but it is some real "white people poo poo" so to speak.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
When my niece was younger, my Brother in law forgot to pack their elf before leaving for my parents place. He called me from a rest stop and begged me to go buy an elf and hide it for the kids to find when they got there.

I'm so glad they're old enough to know better now.

effervescible posted:

It was a phone vote and death narrowly won. So I guess the real lesson is fans are bloodthirsty, but not that bloodthirsty.

Anecdotally Some people used autodialers to stuff the ballot for the "Death" line.

This was a 900 number. You had to pay to vote.

e:

Evil Willow posted:

I tracked down the reddit post.

quote:

You did this, and HE DID NOT CHEAT, leave him alone and go find someone else!

op posted:

I didn't sleep with anyone yet either

quote:

And if it was an open relationship, then how was it cheating?

op posted:

Because he left me within eight months, that's way too fast!

Kurieg fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Dec 25, 2022

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
It should be set to the American choppers argument meme

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

quote:

Again, your relationship has been over since you begged to open it. If he meant so much to you, you wouldn't have wanted that in the first place. Now he doesn't want you anymore and you're going to have to accept it.

op posted:

I only bought into the crap, and presented the idea, I only sold the suit, he didn't have to put it on
I thought this was an excellent Idea and badgered my boyfriend into accepting it. It's his fault for doing so.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

She 100% was expecting her boyfriend to just end up the sadsack posting about being lonely all the time instead of finding somebody else right away to be happy with.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Elf on a shelf reminds me of my daughter and the tooth fairy. My husband left a note with the first money in silver ink. He would up spending the next couple of years answering letters from our daughter, in character.

I'm just saying, this is a dark path.

I'm just reminded of how Tolkein would write letters to his children from the secretary of Father Christmas. In Elvish. (yes, that Elvish)

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

effervescible posted:

I must be thinking of a different comics event, then, but damned if I can remember what.

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

She 100% was expecting her boyfriend to just end up the sadsack posting about being lonely all the time instead of finding somebody else right away to be happy with.
"8 months is way too fast" fuuuuck youuuu, lady. You wouldn't happen to be related to the other one infamous here for not thinking her husband would be able to get any?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I'm just reminded of how Tolkein would write letters to his children from the secretary of Father Christmas. In Elvish. (yes, that Elvish)

Sindarin or Quenya? :v: